Stuck in the Middle-Noob

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

h0m3r

Stuck in the Middle-Noob

Post by h0m3r »

Hey guys, I was looking through many posts and topics and was satisfied with what I saw.

I now come to you with a question, one I'm sure you have encountered before.

In Salt Lake City, there is a scooter store stocked with the Buddy International 150 and the Kymco People 150.

Time on the net has provided me with this list:

Kymco People:

Pro:
large tire, better ride over bumpy surface
good reliable company

Con:
Smaller under-seat compartment
km odom.

Buddy 150:

Pro:
Selling like mad, people are buying for some reason
Good styling, sits low to the ground

Con:
a little more expensive
seat length is a bit shorter

I'm getting one for my father (He's about 5' 11", light build, I'm surprising him) and could use some advice.

I'm also thinking of getting it tomorrow, but I'm still stuck. So here I am a 3:00 am doing some last minute research. Help is desperately and greatly received!!! :)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Kilometers? Can it be programmed to read mph? May just be a matter of pushing a button.

I know Kymco is a good scooter. Who imports them? Do they have a fantastic forum chock full of helpful information like this one? :D

I like the bigger tire.

Part of the reason people are buying up scooters right now is gas $$$$. :cry:

You're going to buy a Buddy for your dad because you have found lots of support and knowledge here and that is comforting.

Eiether would be a good scooter.

General is a spinoff company of ScooterWorks who has been in the scooter business for 20 years and nothing but scooters. I feel safe in saying that they will be in the scooter business for a long time and know what they are doing.
Tough decision. Are you sure you don't want to include your dad in it? He'll be the one living with it. On the other hand, buying my wife a scooter for Mother's Day certainly worked out well. I did the leg work, she picked out the color.

Good luck, let us know what you decide. Do't wait too long. As you said, they're selling fast!
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

DennisD mean Genuine... not General... another reason I think he is the OTHER DennisD... but i digress...

If you get the buddy you will have no regrets...

I dont have a Kymco... so... you may have regrets

I know that was SUPER helpful :wink:
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

I LOVE MY BUDDY!
Scooting is ZEN....
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Kymcos are pretty great, but obviously all of us love the Buddy.

One plus on the smaller tire of the Buddy is it will be more nimble in traffic. Larger tires aren't always better.

Here's two good reviews of each scooter:

http://justgottascoot.com/people150.htm

http://justgottascoot.com/buddy150.htm

According to those reviews, the People 150 is more expensive and the seat is only 2 inches higher on the People.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

MikieTaps wrote:DennisD mean Genuine... not General... another reason I think he is the OTHER DennisD... but i digress...

If you get the buddy you will have no regrets...

I dont have a Kymco... so... you may have regrets

I know that was SUPER helpful :wink:
Why do I keep doing that!!?? Let's see, I need an excuse. Oh, yeah, look at the time of the post. That's it. Insomnia.

Genuinegenuinegenuinegenuinegenuinegenuinegeneralgeneral! :cry:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I test rode the Kymco and the Buddy before picking the Buddy. I liked the riding position better on the Buddy. The Buddy was quicker and steered more nimbly IMO. Finally, I hear the "larger wheel handles road imperfections better" argument, but I don't buy it. Its not that simple. Cross section of the tire is also important. The Kymco has a very small cross section tire. Compare the tire to that of most motorcycles. It is more like a bicycle (dare I say moped).

The one drawback to your "let's surprise him plan" is that scooter preferences are very personal. Many people like one scooter over another primarily due to riding position. That very much depends on your size, the length of your arms, seat preference, etc.

In fairness, you would probably get a somewhat different answer on the Modern Kymco forum.
h0m3r

Post by h0m3r »

Dooglas wrote:In fairness, you would probably get a somewhat different answer on the Modern Kymco forum.
Touché. You're probably right.

It's morning right now in SLC, and I'm (along with some help from the mom) planning to make the deposit today.:shock: I stand undecided, but am leaning towards the buddy.

But, Dooglas is right. I know you guys are all HUGE buddy fans; know of any kymco forums? I've been checking around and can't find anything.

Replies are appreciated.
Quick replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
"I can't take HIS money, I can't print my OWN money. I have to WORK for money. Why don't I just lay down and die?"
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Well, lack of a Kymco forum MIGHT indicate something. But then, I've never looked for one either.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

h0m3r wrote:Quick replies are greatly appreciated.
There's nothing wrong with either scooter, esp since you have the same dealer for both (Ecomoto?). If your dad is a little on the tall side, he may appreciate the slightly larger ergonomics of the People. Also, if he's ever going to carry a passenger, they will definitely appreciate the larger ergos. Either one is a good choice.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

P.S. There is a very lively Kymco forum on Yahoo at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kymcoscooterforum/
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, both are great bikes from respected companies, and both are reasonably priced, the choice is entirely down to ergonomics and your preferences. You won't go wrong with either, just pick whichever you like better and never look back. : )
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
h0m3r

Post by h0m3r »

illnoise wrote:You won't go wrong with either, just pick whichever you like better and never look back. : )
Thanks all.

My father is a soon to be scooter owner! (He's ridden many in the past, even owned an old school lambretta back in India. Hopefully he'll be satisfied with mine and my mother's decision.)

I'm now heading to the point of no return: the Eco Moto where we'll lay a few hundred bucks on the line. We won't look back!

Once again, thanks for all your help!!!

I'll be replying later as a scooter owner! :o (Sort of; it'll be his, but hey, I get to ride it ; )
"I can't take HIS money, I can't print my OWN money. I have to WORK for money. Why don't I just lay down and die?"
sikken

Post by sikken »

h0m3r wrote:
illnoise wrote:You won't go wrong with either, just pick whichever you like better and never look back. : )
Thanks all.

My father is a soon to be scooter owner! (He's ridden many in the past, even owned an old school lambretta back in India. Hopefully he'll be satisfied with mine and my mother's decision.)

I'm now heading to the point of no return: the Eco Moto where we'll lay a few hundred bucks on the line. We won't look back!

Once again, thanks for all your help!!!

I'll be replying later as a scooter owner! :o (Sort of; it'll be his, but hey, I get to ride it ; )
I don't know if I missed it or not, but what did you decide on?
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I own both. I like the People 150 best. Sorry Buddy folks.

Much better ride. Been around longer. Quieter. Same warranty length. Still nimble through traffic. Easier to split lanes with. Better handling. Taller and more comfortable (I'm 5'7").

Neither are very sexy.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

pcbikedude wrote:I own both. I like the People 150 best. Sorry Buddy folks.

Much better ride. Been around longer. Quieter. Same warranty length. Still nimble through traffic. Easier to split lanes with. Better handling. Taller and more comfortable (I'm 5'7").

Neither are very sexy.
Closest dealer to me is in Montgomery Al, about 160 miles north so I haven't seen them. Have read up on them and want to see what they're like.
Christy

Post by Christy »

would i be possible to bring him up there and let him test ride the two of them to see which one he prefers?

has he ever ridden a motorcycle or scooter before?

riding a bike/scoot is a VERY personal thing...I've ridden lots of scooters and some feel very comfortable and some feel like they are trying to take control and ride away without you.

/my 2 cents
EPSP #76
h0m3r

Post by h0m3r »

:D We chose.... (drum roll please).........

The BUDDY INTERNATIONAL PAMPLONA 150!!!

yay.

Thanks for all your help and I'm SURE I'll stay posted with you as the scooterness progresses.

Toodles!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

High Five!! :clap:

In yo FACE Kymco!!!

Congrats and hope he enjoys it... or hope he doesn't and it becomes YOURS!!

Make sure he checks out this board and says hi!
louie

Post by louie »

jmazza wrote:High Five!! :clap:

In yo FACE Kymco!!!

Congrats and hope he enjoys it... or hope he doesn't and it becomes YOURS!!

Make sure he checks out this board and says hi!
now there's a thought. maybe it won't fit him and he can buy you a people. then you can swap. :wink:
h0m3r

Post by h0m3r »

Ooh, maybe.. I'd be fine with that.

Except that he loves it. So that's out.

This is a check-in, guys. It's been a few weeks, and he drives it, most every day, to work. Cool, no?

Quick question though: we've noticed that the left and right turn signals on the front of the scooter (the ones that are integrated into the front paneling) don't turn on with the ones right below the brakes.

Is that normal? I thought it might be because the US requires the aftermarket, more-noticeable turn signals.

Oh yeah, I was wondering, do I need a motorcycle license or extra qualification in addition to my driver's license to drive the scooter? My father has one, but I don't.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks a lot guys, we love the scooter.

:D
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Homer,
congrats . . . to your dad !

Yes, the blinkers on the panels are non-functioning to meet DOA rules. There is a tutorial here on how to change that: www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic1354.html

You might want to send a link to this forum to your dad anyway . . . he probably needs to start getting the Buddy bug on a big way! Lots of good info for him.

Cheers !
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
betsy q. bramble

Post by betsy q. bramble »

And yes, you do need a motorcycle license.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

betsy q. bramble wrote:And yes, you do need a motorcycle license.
Yes, and FWIW, the licensing laws in Utah have changed as of July 1, 2008 for all new licensees: viewtopic.php?t=5451&highlight=tiered+l ... cense+utah
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
h0m3r

Post by h0m3r »

Great, thanks for the info guys.

I'll give him the link to this forum, but I think I'll be the one getting on more often than him. Simply because he's not the most net savvy?? :?

I'll check those links out.

Thanks again for all of your age and experience; everybody on this forum is eager to help out, and that's great for people who could use the assistance (me).

Props for your helpfulness.

-h0m3r