For men mainly: Scooters and typcasting as a wimp

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddyboy08

For men mainly: Scooters and typcasting as a wimp

Post by buddyboy08 »

Hi everyone,

New post, and soon to be buyer. I'm fascinated about the Genuine brand and love the sense of community and popularity scooters are having lately.

I realize there is a tier when it comes to bikes, do anyone of the boys/men ever get typecast or given grief for riding a scooter, esp. the Buddy's ala Vespa look?

I guess I'm comfortable enough w/ myself and don't care what people think, but just curious what your experience has been and what kind of respect you get or lack thereof. I do love the Buddy's, oomph, style and coolness. Maybe some men need to prove their masculinity by belittling some scooter riders.
Scooter Bug

Post by Scooter Bug »

I ignored your tag line and entered this topic even though I am a young lady. I have to say....a man on a scooter DEFINITELY turns my head. There is something European and interesting about scooters...so naturally a man on one is attractive!
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Yep, I ignored your title too.
Here is a recent thread, but there are plenty of others describing how "real men" handle all the sad boys whose egos are fragile. :wink:

topic6096.html
~Celebrate~
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: For men mainly: Scooters and typcasting as a wimp

Post by jrsjr »

buddyboy08 wrote:... but just curious what your experience has been and what kind of respect you get or lack thereof.
Since gas hit that magic $4.00 mark, most of the heckling stopped. There are always going to be jerks out there, though. Just give them a friendly wave like you didn't hear what they said. That's the least aggressive way to piss them off that I know of. "Huh, what? I'm glad you like my scooter. I think it rocks, too!" :twisted:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Turn to em with your poop-eatin' grin and give em a thumbs up. Then blast off past them at the light. Give em the same grin and thumbs up. The third light's a non-issue.

My male parts are just the same now as they were before Scootin'. I've got no issue with masculinity. I'm a relatively biggish, hairy dude with a pointed beard and a deep laugh. My wife might think I'm actually more of a man since getting a scoot, but that's probably because I've been in a better mood.

If you've got thin skin, things'll get to you. If you've got a head on your shoulders, you'll shrug off anything that's not worth contemplating. When you get on your scoot, ride it. Smile. That's pretty much it. It's like that 10 day Bran-something-or-another challenge with that uppity tennis guy, but with less poop. You'll feel better after about 10 days.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Lostmycage wrote: If you've got thin skin, things'll get to you. If you've got a head on your shoulders, you'll shrug off anything that's not worth contemplating.
In my opinion, that says it all. Yea! for you!!! :)
~Celebrate~
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

a lot of my friends gave me a hard time after they heard I bought a scooter but almost all of them stopped after they SAW it.
Several have taken it for rides - a couple are shopping for their own now.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I personally don't care what anyone else thinks because for one, I'm self confident and I know what I like, to hell with what some moron thinks. And two, scooters in most parts of the world is mainstream in the most practical sense, not just for the fun. It's some of the people in the US that are behind the times and haven't got a clue. Most of the time I'm going somewhere by myself so why would I want to drive/ride something bigger than I need? My 750cc motorcycle was fun, but for practicality, I much prefer my scoot - better gas mileage, can carry more stuff, easier to park and manuver, cheaper to maintain and insure - the list goes on. Just do what you like and forget what others think or say - they're clueless. :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

more people are interested in about much money you save than how "gay" you are. I live in TN. Once a week I have a redneck pull up to me and say "Hell Yeah" and then try to gun his vehicle past me stoked that he can go faster than a scooter.
They didn't see the $354 I saved last month. If they had, they could have afforded a car payment on something other than an early 90s Pontiac POS.
Just roll with it
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

If a sports car or a big truck tell people you have a "shortcoming" what does a scooter tell them :shock: :wha:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

tunseeker1 wrote:If a sports car or a big truck tell people you have a "shortcoming" what does a scooter tell them :shock: :wha:
I'm still toying with the perfect phrasing along those lines for a bumper sticker or something. :twisted:
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Cheshire wrote:
tunseeker1 wrote:If a sports car or a big truck tell people you have a "shortcoming" what does a scooter tell them :shock: :wha:
I'm still toying with the perfect phrasing along those lines for a bumper sticker or something. :twisted:
Under compensating
Werd, Yo! I'm Rusty.
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

I'm too old and too secure to care about it. I've been married to the same beautiful girl for 27 years so I must be man enough to keep her happy (and I'm not just talking about sex) and riding scooters is one of the things that keeps us young. We're the cool aunt and uncle to all our nieces and nephews. We know the latest music/culture and hang out with the womens roller derby crowd. I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up.
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Aside from a few people at work calling me "JD" the first week I had my scooter, no, nobody has given me a hard time at all. My friends all love it. My wife and I ran saw one of our friends while we were riding once and she said that our scooter was the "hottest thing" she's ever seen. Most people nowadays are too busy asking me how many miles per gallon it gets or how fast it goes to trash talk me.

I have not once felt like less of a man while riding my scooter. I'm having entirely too much fun leaving Mustangs in my dust at stoplights to worry about my masculinity!
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Actually most people have thought it was a great idea. Though gas prices are making scooters much more "Manly" these days. Really, I could care less what people think about my scoot. Its just far too much fun to ride to worry about some other person's opinion of it. And for the guys in the redneck truck, just tell them that if they're compensating for something, then you are too.... :twisted:
JNV

Scooter Men owners

Post by JNV »

When motorcycle riders see how much mileage I ride they usually give me and my scooter more respect. The ones that don't are probably suffering from small penis syndrome.
As for what my wife thinks; she thinks scooters are super cool. One a girl on the back of a Harley asked my wife why she like my scooter. My wife responded "I like rideing on ten inches" My wife meant the size of the tires but it did have double meaning. When her husband got back to the bike she tells him she does not like the Harley anymore.
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

toddrw2251 wrote:I'm still toying with the perfect phrasing along those lines for a bumper sticker or something. :twisted:

Under compensating
I like that one but I doubt if the Bubbas around here could understand what it means. We scooterists must have higher than average IQ's. Just remember that half the people you meet are below average.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

BigColdMartini wrote:
toddrw2251 wrote:I'm still toying with the perfect phrasing along those lines for a bumper sticker or something. :twisted:

Under compensating
I like that one but I doubt if the Bubbas around here could understand what it means. We scooterists must have higher than average IQ's. Just remember that half the people you meet are below average.
True. Same with "I'm too big for a Harley."

I've gotten some crap from friends, etc. I just take it in stride and go with it. I'm always asking them which one wants to ride bitch today and stuff like that. It's always good to laugh at yourself even when it hurts. We are kind of a goofy breed/counterculture riding around on these tiny tiny semi-stylish machines surrounded by huge cars that could squash us like a bug.

The only random crap I've gotten was from two guys crossing at a crosswalk in front of me at a light. One of them kind of studied me and then as they were past me whispered to his friend who looked back and then they both sort of... giggled. I shrugged it off and thought "I may be on a scooter but you giggle."

Most random attention is positive. Being out in the "open" I find that I talk to more people (even the homeless guys on the corner and the ones who sell newspapers) and have more interaction which is kind of cool. But I don't wave at other riders (from another thread).
Keys

Post by Keys »

A "man" will be a man no matter what he's riding, driving or doing. If he questions it himself, so will everyone else. If you allow others to 'conform' you, then yes...you will be a wimp.

"skutergruven...proudly ignoring popular opinion."

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I have always kind of gone to a different beat...so when people heard I was getting a scooter I got looks and questions why? But I don't care, actually I think my personality chooses the things I wear and do based on getting those looks from people.

Only dudes do that...chicks like the scooter, its different and less intimidating than a Harley (although chicks dig that too).
gng

Post by gng »

I've only gotten positive comments about my scooter. And it seems like everyday there's another one in my neighborhood. The other day I pulled into a gas station in my new Lexus IS (not bragging, stay with me here) and a couple of gals in their 20's came up to me and said "nice car!" I said yup, thanks, but with gas prices I really like riding my Buddy and they went on and on asking me about it, telling me how cool that is, etc. So if I was out to impress girls, I guess I could have saved the $40K on the Lexus and just bought the $3K Buddy :D
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

not a male, but still wanted to say ....

I've never seen any difference between a guy riding a scooter and a female riding one.
The only gender thing along these lines that has me doing a double take is when I see a guy riding passenger. But only because it's something I've rarely rarely ever seen, so it's new and unfamiliar to me. I think it's kewl though because most guys would insist on being the one's to drive and makethe female sit passenger. But to see one that's willing (or was forced, lol) to put his 'manliness' aside and sit passenger is just....respectable, to me.

But then, I also don't see why people keep saying things like "get a REAL bike". If it's got two wheels and requires balance and goes at traffic speeds, what else needs to be more "real" about it? Pedals?

On the other hand, I do admit that inside I might scoff/chuckle when I see someone riding something that doesn't fit size wise to them...where it looks like they are riding a minibike...or a dinosaur...depending on their own body size. But this doesn't just relate to scooters nor MCs, it includes pedal bicycles too, and circus acts of clowns riding teeny tiny bikes/cars. :oops:

Anyhoo, fwiw, I'm one of the people who saw a somewhat elderly man on a smallish scoot (a jogr), pulled up to the same light as him, and asked him some questions while we waited for the light to turn green. Even though he was a bit tall for the short scooter, at the time I hadn't thought of it (only when thinking back on it do I realize the size difference). I was thinking more in terms of "hey, that looks like FUN!!! AND..could solve my transportation issues too".
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

Regarding Bumper Sticker Ideas:

"He who spends the least on gas Wins!"
"He who gets the most chicks' attentions Wins!"
"He who has nothing to prove Wins!"

My fav: "It's not size that counts, its how fun the ride is."
The scootering section of my blog: http://anndelise.wordpress.com/category/scootering/
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

No matter how it looks, sporty or retro, the fact it's a scooter, there will always be people laughing or thinking it's silly. Where I work, everyone thought it was silly and laughed here and there. But then after a while, they stopped laughing and began to want to talk about scooters. It grows on people! :D
mjmetts

Post by mjmetts »

anndelise wrote: The only gender thing along these lines that has me doing a double take is when I see a guy riding passenger. But only because it's something I've rarely rarely ever seen, so it's new and unfamiliar to me. I think it's kewl though because most guys would insist on being the one's to drive and makethe female sit passenger. But to see one that's willing (or was forced, lol) to put his 'manliness' aside and sit passenger is just....respectable, to me.
Of course, some people just prefer it one way. I've tried and tried to get my girlfriend to try driving it but she really would just rather ride. I'm sure some day she'll be more comfortable but for now she really likes being the passenger.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would not care what people think. My spouse rides a buddy, and he is a pretty muscular guy, no one has ever said anything-and nor would he care if they did.

And quite frankly, as a women, I make very unflattering assumptions about men that need to have oversized cars, boats, bikes etc.
Last edited by peabody99 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n00b4life

Post by n00b4life »

Attachments
280438453v3_240x240_Front.jpg
280438453v3_240x240_Front.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

I outgrew pissing contests decades ago...unfortunately, that's just not true for everyone else. Some cro-mags are always looking for one. For some reason, they measure manhood by horsepower and the number of cylinders.

I've never even considered how getting a scooter might raise or lower my masculinity score...not in my own mind, and certainly not in the minds of others.

However, if someone (including myself) were to question it, I suppose I could argue with them, and try to convince them otherwise. I spent four years of my life restoring a 1979 Ford Bronco...from the frame up. With my own hands, I rebuilt a 300+ HP 400 C.I.D. V8...welded in a new exhaust...installed a lift kit and big mud-terrain tires...put in hours of body work...welding, grinding, sanding...grease, oil, blood, sweat...grrr!

All very "manly" things...should score me some points, right? I may be able to persuade them, but why bother?

When someone measures another person's value by their material possesions---scooters included---the only response they deserve in return is your pity. They haven't got a clue, the poor souls.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

thats what I am talking about...put that on the Buddy
Smiziley

Post by Smiziley »

I never understood that either. Riding a scooter = gay? um what? That's a pretty common sentiment in the higher horsepower circles. It seems to come with the territory...more horsepower = more macho, less horsepower = more girly. Gas prices really have kind of turned that on its head. I think to a point, scooters are seen as showing off without the macho horsepower, so it's seen as effiminate.
That's one of the reasons why I like scooters. Same advantages of a motorcycle, with few disadvantages and minus all the attitude that seems inherent to motorcycles. No Harley or squid attitude on the scooter, which is appealing to me, just get on and ride.

But, after commuting by bicycle for 2 years, you learn to ignore most of the stuff said to you on the street.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Anndelise, you put me onto a winner. I'm going to go with "It's how you use it." Multifunctional, short, to the point, Naughty AND nice. Just like the scooter. :lol:

In general, I do ignore the compensation guys. My next-door neighbor is one of 'em. When I was first getting interested in scooters and motorcycles, I noticed him getting ready to get on his sports bike one day. Walked over to ask him a few questions, as I was trying to get feedback from actual riders to compliment my research. After less than 5 minutes, he asked what size engine I was looking at. I replied with 250cc or so (I was more interested in fuel economy), to which he snapped back, "Oh. Nevermind, then. This is definately too much bike for you." Popped on his helmet and took off. Same guy several years ago saw me using a hand saw to cut a 1"x12"x8' plank in half for a shelf. Came over with his chain saw telling me it would work better. :roll: Hand saw took me 5 minutes.

I don't try to argue with them, but I do want the sticker to stop them before they start! :P
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I've ridden my wife's Pink Buddy 125 to Home Depot a couple times to buy nuts/bolts. Mostly it just confuses people. Then again, who wants to start a fight with a big guy wearing a helmet and armored gloves?

I haven't run into any scooter grief from anybody so far. Of course, being 6'4" doesn't hurt either. On the Blur, I think people generally don't recognize it as a scooter - most just think it's a sport bike until they see it from the side. Then they're usually just confused.

Back when I rode my Vespa though, I never got any grief from anybody. I think it's pretty easy to look masculine on a scooter - very much so in that european way. I think it's more about gear than even the scooter. If you've got some armor on and a good helmet, then it's pretty easy to look tough. And on city streets, a Buddy is so much quicker than most traffic, it's not a matter of being in the way.

The biggest thing is to remember the inverse insecurity rule. In general, if somebody is giving you crap about their perception of your masculinity, it has nothing to do your your masculinity at all - but rather with their own. Same with folk who want to impose their political or religious view forcibly upon other people - they're afraid that their view can't stand up to scrutiny on its own or that they themselves aren't righteous enough for whatever standard they fear. The great irony is of course that the most authentically masculine men aren't macho. The most authentically spiritual people aren't religious zealots. The most politically effective people aren't party-line politicians.

Ride for your reasons, not theirs.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

That whole "it's so gay" line of crap really makes me see red. Do these jerks really think that only "straight" folks died on the beaches of Normandy, only "straight" folks ran into the Twin Towers on 9/11 to save others, only "straight" folks ride Harleys?

Granted, for a lot of guys from my generation, myself included, the journey from prejudice to acceptance was a difficult one. However, when you look at it objectively. gays have, for the most part, had to go through a whole hell of a lot more crap than straights. That being the case, I'd say they're plenty tough enough. So equating "gay" with "wimp" is just flat out wrong.

You want the true definition of "wimp"? That'd be me taking a shower and then suddenly noticing a spider working it's way up the tiles. Talk about yer high-pitched screams.....

Regards,

Charlie
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

To all you fine scooter Ladies, Thanks for the good words. As a guy, I really haven't been hackled by other men about riding a scooter. Only one guy at work that I can remember. Scooters are growing really fast out hear and you see more scooters going to work than MC's. Last Thursday I saw 5 scooters and 2 MC's. Last year my wife and I were the only scooters at work...ya we got some grief, but now with the gas near $4.00 we have 9 scooters riding to work. Most bikers are curious as to how fast and mpgs we get and are amazed. However, some boys will never grow up and I just ignore them for their ignorance.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
standup

Post by standup »

Last week I got called a fag by a couple of 15 year old boys who probably live in a trailer. Not upsetting.

The first day I had it I got into a conversation with a couple of gay men who thought the scooter was pretty cool. Since gay men are stereotypically supposed to have a good sense of style, I took this as a compliment.

Most of the questions I get are from straight people who want to know how much it cost and how much gas it uses. I answer questions from anybody, insults get a shrug.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

One of the things I like the most about scooter rallies is the diversity of people that show up. Motorheads, rich people, poor people, gays, meat lovers, vegans, lesbians, young people old people, mods, goths... whatever. The main thing they all have in common..SCOOTERS! If I am identified with any one of those groups it is fine with me. I REALLY don't care...well maybe except the vegans..I really enjoy a good hunk of meat!

I do find it ammusing that so many people are afraid of "looking gay" because they ride a scooter. First of all I really don't knowwhat "looking gay" means. Secondly if someone thinks I'm straight thats fine with me, If they think I'm gay thats fine with me too. If I confuse them...well thats just fun!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

mjmetts wrote:Of course, some people just prefer it one way. I've tried and tried to get my girlfriend to try driving it but she really would just rather ride. I'm sure some day she'll be more comfortable but for now she really likes being the passenger.
yeah, i know, my comment was pretty biased :oops: sorry

for the record, i'm one of those girls who doesn't like to drive the car, preferring richard to drive it instead (i'd rather read or write instead of drive a car).

as for 2 wheeling, in a few years when i get my MP3 400cc, then he'll be riding as passenger (I just can't see both of us on the Buddy unless we both lose some serious weight). I can't really see myself riding as passenger except for a short trip on a bike/scoot that's not mine. Personally, I'd prefer to ride with another rider, each on our own scoot, rather than ride 2-up. I think it'd be more fun too than 2-up. But richard would probably prefer to ride as my passenger rather than ride his own scoot.

so, in my case at least, the 'roles' (aka comfort levels) get switched depending on the form of transportation.
anndelise

Post by anndelise »

Cheshire wrote:... I'm going to go with "It's how you use it." Multifunctional, short, to the point, Naughty AND nice. Just like the scooter. :lol:
:o I luvs it. :lol:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

charlie55 wrote: You want the true definition of "wimp"? That'd be me taking a shower and then suddenly noticing a spider working it's way up the tiles. Talk about yer high-pitched screams.....

Regards,

Charlie
Thats why I sound proofed my bathroom!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

All my gay friends look sexy on their scooters. All my straight friends look sexy on their scooters. I must have some dang sexy friends, or the addition of the scooter makes 'em all look fi-i-i-yine. YOU DO THE MATH.

PS: Why red is red?
ModBud #442
bunny

Post by bunny »

polianarchy wrote:All my gay friends look sexy on their scooters. All my straight friends look sexy on their scooters. I must have some dang sexy friends, or the addition of the scooter makes 'em all look fi-i-i-yine. YOU DO THE MATH.

PS: Why red is red?
I personally try to surround myself with sexy people. I'd be attractive by association!

I think there's a certain point in your life where you get past what others think of you and you get on with what you think of yourself. I know who I am and what I am about, so I don't feel the need to defend or explain myself to anyone.

To me, a man who rides a scooter is more than enough man PERIOD. There is a conceived courageousness that goes along with making a decision that goes against the 'norm.'
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

paige

Post by paige »

Boys on scooters are cuter because you can actually see them. Their long legs, their strong shoulders, the fine control in their hands... :oops:
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

yea, but I kinda have a beer gut. :cry: Someimes by jeep is nicer for that.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

boys on scooters=hot
my jedi on my scooter=sexy!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

bunny wrote:
polianarchy wrote:PS: Why red is red?
I personally try to surround myself with sexy people.
So that explains why people have been flocking to me! :roll:

WHY RED IS RED!
www.teamscootertrash.com