Watch your parking...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GenuineSlacker

Watch your parking...

Post by GenuineSlacker »

SO, the other night I'm out at a wing place and I've found what I thought to be awesome parking. Away from the regular old parking for all the soccer mom SUVs, a nice little spot of sidewalk. Well I spent the whole night checking on my scoot in the paranoid way I'm sure we all do. Never noticed a thing. As I'm getting ready to set out, I find that I have a bright orange sticker on my speedometer setting me to be towed (great thing was the make was listed as a scootersmith, which is the guy who sells them in my area).

Well luckily I know my scoot well enough to keep it legal for speed. I made it home without incident and since then have been able to scratch off most of the sticker. My whole point is just to be sure to watch where you park, yanno, because people who drive cars are jealous of our mad gas mileage.

I do have a question though. Anyone knows of any good solvents that would get rid of the sticker without harming mah buddy?
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
lou76

Re: Watch your parking...

Post by lou76 »

GenuineSlacker wrote:Anyone knows of any good solvents that would get rid of the sticker without harming mah buddy?
Goo Gone... for serious... that stuff is like magic... i dont think that it will harm the buddy, i have used it on a variety of surfaces with no ill effects, but it never hurts to test it in an inconspicuous spot first...
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

Maybe it's just me, but I have had absolutely no problems parking in the lot with the rest of the cars. I just pull up to the front of the space so I'm visable. As for being worried it's going to get hit - that's why I pay insurance, no?

In my opinion, parking on the sidewalk or in a bike rack goes against everything when we're trying to gain respect as "real" vehicles on the road. If we park our scooters next to an 8 year old's BMX on the sidewalk, I can see people making the relationship, and then treating us as such.

I have a licensed vehicle like everyone else and have the right to park where the licensed vehicles park, whether it is taking up a full metered spot in a downtown area, or at the local MegaMart in the burbs.

I've also had no problems given the respect I deserve on the roads, here in the Cleveland/Akron area, so maybe it's just where I live.

[/Two Cents]
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Seconded on the Goo Gone - great stuff.

As for parking, you should probably park it anywhere a motorcycle would legally park, which I am guessing doesn't include the sidewalk.

That said, I have been known to park mine on the sidewalk too.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
dru_

Post by dru_ »

bwilms wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I have had absolutely no problems parking in the lot with the rest of the cars. I just pull up to the front of the space so I'm visable. As for being worried it's going to get hit - that's why I pay insurance, no?

In my opinion, parking on the sidewalk or in a bike rack goes against everything when we're trying to gain respect as "real" vehicles on the road. If we park our scooters next to an 8 year old's BMX on the sidewalk, I can see people making the relationship, and then treating us as such.

I have a licensed vehicle like everyone else and have the right to park where the licensed vehicles park, whether it is taking up a full metered spot in a downtown area, or at the local MegaMart in the burbs.

I've also had no problems given the respect I deserve on the roads, here in the Cleveland/Akron area, so maybe it's just where I live.

[/Two Cents]
I'm with you on this one. *If* there is marked motorcycle parking, I'll use it, but if there isn't, I use a space. I won't put it in the triangle of unused space either.

The funny thing is that some drivers even find this offensive. The other day at the grocery, some woman actually stopped to chew me out because I was in the first non-handicapped space and her SUV was about 10 cars further out. I quote "You should show some respect and park further out since you can't haul enough groceries the make carrying them the extra distanc". I was so stunned, all I could say was, "Thanks for the input."

The honest truth here is that many drivers feel so entitled that they don't realize that they are the problem not those of us on 2 wheels.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Well, when I'm at school we have motorcycle parking, and I love it because it's close to all my classes and all the people with motorcycles look at me funny. Normally I take a space, but I really do worry about it getting hit out here, mostly because I worry about getting hit while I'm riding. People just dont seem to notice.
dru_ wrote:
I'm with you on this one. *If* there is marked motorcycle parking, I'll use it, but if there isn't, I use a space. I won't put it in the triangle of unused space either.

The funny thing is that some drivers even find this offensive. The other day at the grocery, some woman actually stopped to chew me out because I was in the first non-handicapped space and her SUV was about 10 cars further out. I quote "You should show some respect and park further out since you can't haul enough groceries the make carrying them the extra distanc". I was so stunned, all I could say was, "Thanks for the input."

The honest truth here is that many drivers feel so entitled that they don't realize that they are the problem not those of us on 2 wheels.
That is pretty funny about the suv woman. I've been thinking about making something large enough for the back of my scoot to attach on that's large enough for a bumper sticker, and then finding or having one made that says "you aren't worth my gas" and a picture of an suv.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
Tikka Masala

Re: Watch your parking...

Post by Tikka Masala »

GenuineSlacker wrote:I do have a question though. Anyone knows of any good solvents that would get rid of the sticker without harming mah buddy?
wd40 works as well
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

1. Ditto on the Goo Gone.
2. I wanna hear more abouty the wing place. Mmmmm.....
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

At my MSF Basic Rider class on Wednesday night, both instructors parked their motorcycles (a big BMW and a big Honda) on the sidewalk at the school. I was kind of surprised when I found out they were the instructors bikes. I should ask them about that when we do the range portion next weekend.

I parked the Buddy in the triangle at the edge of the lot where two motorcycles were already parked. There was plenty of room for all three. Since the class was going until 10PM or later, I didn't want to put it in a space with the cars where it would be out there by itself in the open by the time we left class.

As for the lady in the SUV, wasn't she using a shopping cart? I seriously doubt she carried all her groceries all those extra spaces. :)
Kevin
AYPWIP?
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Yeah that's like those people that think they have a right to park in the handicap zone just because it's right in front of the store they're only going into "for a quick second".
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There was a pretty good discussion of parking in this thread. A lot of it just comes down to knowing what's legal where you live, then how much you can get away with. But, I have to say, 98% of the time you park on a public sidewalk, you're risking a ticket. The other 2% is when you park in front of a scooter/MC shop or dealer (unless your state has laws permitting 50cc scoots to park on sidewalks). Private sidewalks (shopping centers, etc.) are usually fair game, though!
lou76

Post by lou76 »

GenuineSlacker wrote:Well, when I'm at school we have motorcycle parking, and I love it because it's close to all my classes and all the people with motorcycles look at me funny.
at my school, the motorcycle spaces are further away from the buildings than about 1/3 of the spaces in the lot... i feel entitled to more... :P
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Went to the bank Friday afternoon, parked in a space out front. Came out, and a guy with a red Ducati was parking next to me. I said, "Nice bike."

He asked, "How big's the motor in that thing?"

"125."

"Really? How fast will it go?"

"I've had it to sixty."

"Whoa! Really? What kind of gas mileage you get?"

"84/85 on the first tank."

When I left he was still looking at the Ducati. Wonder what kind of mileage he's getting?
jperkins

Bike rack parking

Post by jperkins »

No matter where i park I chain my Biddy up. If there is motor cycle parking that i can chain it to I will park there, but if the only option for locking my Buddy up is to use a bike rack I see no problem with that.
ebcspace

parking/locking

Post by ebcspace »

i just ordered a kryptonite new york noose...

hopefully will work much like this pic of a piaggio lock on my Vespa...

the Vespa has a loop welded on the bottom right of the floorboard, and on the Buddy, there's some frame below the floorboard that can be looped onto... :wink:

will use kryptonite disc lock to go with the chain...
Attachments
vespalocked_1.JPG
vespalocked_1.JPG (37.34 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
kryptonitenoose.jpg
kryptonitenoose.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
Last edited by ebcspace on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
scoot on!
Javarod

Post by Javarod »

That's my rule when parking the scoot, gotta be able to secure it, much as we want to be taken seriously, most scooters are lighter than motorcycles and therefore quite easy to steal, so my as I'd like to be respectful and not use the sidewalk, often its the only option, although I won't consider it such ifn there's not enough room for my scoot and the pedestrians.
Javarod
G! Buckleshoe
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:Went to the bank Friday afternoon, parked in a space out front. Came out, and a guy with a red Ducati was parking next to me. I said, "Nice bike."

He asked, "How big's the motor in that thing?"

"125."

"Really? How fast will it go?"

"I've had it to sixty."

"Whoa! Really? What kind of gas mileage you get?"

"84/85 on the first tank."

When I left he was still looking at the Ducati. Wonder what kind of mileage he's getting?
Generally, motorcycles get great gas mileage. Not as good as scooters, but considering the kind of power you have, still very good.

Not knowing what model Ducati you saw, I can't even make a guess. Most Ducati riders modify their bikes and that affects mileage but, in stock form, Ducatis will provide gas mileage in the 30-60 mpg range. Modified 4 valve superbikes will be in the 30's while stock air-cooled 2 valve motors easily get 40 plus mpg. My air cooled 1000DS gets 54 mpg in mixed riding.

Not bad for 90 plus horsepower! :wink:

One other thing, the fact that he was looking at his Ducati isn't at all unusual. Most Ducati owners can't resist looking at their bikes and, most of the time, they're not thinking "gee, I wish I got better gas mileage."

This is the great thing about owning both a motorcycle and a scooter. I ride the Buddy all the time for short trips but I have my two wheeled sports car for the really fun stuff. And honestly, I probably look at the Buddy as much as the Ducati. It's a really nice design, especially once the DOT signals are removed.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
notselfcreated

Post by notselfcreated »

ericalm wrote:(unless your state has laws permitting 50cc scoots to park on sidewalks).
Time to buy some Buddy 50 decals for your Buddy 125. :wink:
Elm Creek Smith

gt1000 wrote: Not knowing what model Ducati you saw, I can't even make a guess. Most Ducati riders modify their bikes and that affects mileage but, in stock form, Ducatis will provide gas mileage in the 30-60 mpg range. Modified 4 valve superbikes will be in the 30's while stock air-cooled 2 valve motors easily get 40 plus mpg. My air cooled 1000DS gets 54 mpg in mixed riding.

One other thing, the fact that he was looking at his Ducati isn't at all unusual. Most Ducati owners can't resist looking at their bikes and, most of the time, they're not thinking "gee, I wish I got better gas mileage."
It was one of the superbikes. I don't blame the guy for looking at it, because I did the same thing. It was a thing of beauty.

ECS
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

notselfcreated wrote:
ericalm wrote:(unless your state has laws permitting 50cc scoots to park on sidewalks).
Time to buy some Buddy 50 decals for your Buddy 125. :wink:
There are people who pull badges off for this very reason! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the plate with the VIN # has the engine size on it as well.
Elm Creek Smith

Here is the Ducati that deigned to share a space with my Buddy.

ECS
Attachments
Kinda cute, huh?
Kinda cute, huh?
Ducati1.jpg (24.4 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
ebcspace

scoot parking

Post by ebcspace »

here's some pics of my locked up buddy, using my new lock...

notice in the background, the vespa locked to other parking stall pole, in front of the SAV...

my first concern when i purchased the vespa(first scoot) was where i would lock it up... all worked out.

i ordered an additional chain to use with the existing chain on buddy, to get some more length from pole, so the buddy can be turned around, with rear against pole, scooted over away from car, with passage room for the vespa to drive through.
Attachments
cover from undisclosed famous cheap department store, size large.  goodnight, buddy :)
cover from undisclosed famous cheap department store, size large. goodnight, buddy :)
buddysleeping.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
chained through frame bar, in front of exhaust pipe
chained through frame bar, in front of exhaust pipe
buddyframelock.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
buddylockedb.jpg
buddylockedb.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
buddylocked.jpg
buddylocked.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
scoot on!
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

dru_ wrote:
bwilms wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I have had absolutely no problems parking in the lot with the rest of the cars. I just pull up to the front of the space so I'm visable. As for being worried it's going to get hit - that's why I pay insurance, no?

[/Two Cents]

HA!! The "grocery store lady" is probably the entitled type who after unloading her cart, leaves it in the empty space next to her vehicle instead of corraling it.......
You could have told her she should show some respect for the environment and not bring her gas-hog for 2 stinkin' bags of groceries..
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

gt1000 wrote:Not knowing what model Ducati you saw, I can't even make a guess. Most Ducati riders modify their bikes and that affects mileage but, in stock form, Ducatis will provide gas mileage in the 30-60 mpg range. Modified 4 valve superbikes will be in the 30's while stock air-cooled 2 valve motors easily get 40 plus mpg. My air cooled 1000DS gets 54 mpg in mixed riding.

The GT1000 is such a beautiful bike. I sure wouldn't mind having one in that grey/green color. Way more powerful than the other bikes I'm currently in like with (Triumphs), but it's got that special something, to be sure.
- Bryce
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:
gt1000 wrote: One other thing, the fact that he was looking at his Ducati isn't at all unusual. Most Ducati owners can't resist looking at their bikes and, most of the time, they're not thinking "gee, I wish I got better gas mileage."
It was one of the superbikes. I don't blame the guy for looking at it, because I did the same thing. It was a thing of beauty.

ECS
Yeah, they are. My brother has a red ST4S. I went out on a casual ride with him a couple of weeks ago, got a great (but kinda silly) pic at one of our breaks.

http://web.mac.com/dru_satori/iWeb/Word ... ntain.html

PhotoBob

Post by PhotoBob »

If this has already been posted here, my apologies. If not, sign this petition regarding the conversion of some car parking spots to additional two-wheeled parking spots.

http://www.vespausa.com/Vespatition/
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

If I've mentioned it here before, my apologies..... : )
At places I frequently frequent I'll frequently stop by the customer service desk and suggest they designate a spot or two for 2-wheelers. Always adding... "I DON'T mean a couple spots right up front".
Keys

Post by Keys »

You're right, Dru_...it is a kind of silly picture. To correct it, the Kymco should have been in front....

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"