Winter Traveling too much for the Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Perkidanman

Winter Traveling too much for the Buddy?

Post by Perkidanman »

I live in the Aurora/Denver area and we've just had two snow storms already (it's only October!!!). I'm wondering if the Buddy can handle my drive to work. It's only about 4 miles, but if it's snowing and windy it'll seem like forever and I don't want to risk it if my Buddy can't handle the cold. A 4 mile walk in the snow when my buddy won't start would be even worse.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Only two so far? Honestly I'd drive it. Not that I've had to deal with Aurora snow (and drivers) on a buddy, but I have on my bike and it's not fun. I can't even imagine it. Although in respect to your position, if you were to watch yourself and everyone else and just be generally cautious, and so long as that 4 miles is on a road they'll actually plow, you should be alright.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
gt1000

Re: Winter Traveling too much for the Buddy?

Post by gt1000 »

Perkidanman wrote:I live in the Aurora/Denver area and we've just had two snow storms already (it's only October!!!). I'm wondering if the Buddy can handle my drive to work. It's only about 4 miles, but if it's snowing and windy it'll seem like forever and I don't want to risk it if my Buddy can't handle the cold. A 4 mile walk in the snow when my buddy won't start would be even worse.
I too live in Denver and have a 4 mile ride to work. I commute from downtown to Regis in the Highlands. I ride year round but always park my scooter and motorcycle when it snows. It's not Buddy-specific, you simply do not want to be on two wheels when there's snow, ice or slush on the roads. I don't care how good a rider you are or how careful you are, you just have no idea when you're going to encounter an icy spot on a shaded area of the road. When you do, it's all over, before you even know it! Not to mention cars, buses and trucks sliding through stop signs and into you! Sand, gravel and mag chloride are bad enough, ice and snow means no-go! Cold is pretty much a non-factor. I wear the proper gear and stay pretty warm. If it's below about 15 degrees in the morning and the forecast calls for it to stay cold all day, I'll probably take the bus as well. I haven't had the Buddy for a full winter yet but, so far, it's always started on the first crank, even in the 30's. My Aprilia never failed me in the cold and I consider the Buddy to be a much better scoot.

Nope, when it snows I take the bus. If it's pouring rain when I'm ready to leave home in the morning, I take the bus. If it's raining for my ride home, I'll gear up and go for it. If it's snowing in the afternoon, I lock up my scooter at work and take the bus home. Did it last week in fact.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

I agree w/GT's assessment. I hope to ride the next couple days with a sub 30 degree start but there's no chance of snow here in Minneapolis (as of this moment).
However, if I ride in the winter I'll come to work prepared to lock it up and catch the bus home if the snow flys. I don't ride my bicycle in the snow either.

Live to ride another day I always say......
germ

Post by germ »

I live in the springs where it is usually a little colder than denver. I ride everyday no matter what the temperature. The only time I don't ride is if the streets are filled with snow or ice. Although I did ride home from work last week in the middle of our first snow storm. I have the tall windscreen and wind proof jacket. Also very nice raingear. I am basically bombproof. But if the rodes are icy it is silly to ride. The scooter cannot hang. You will bust your ass. Other than that you can gear up for anything. GET THE WINDSCREEN. It will be the best $100 you ever spent. Don't waste your time with the small screen.