Trailer in a bag?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nrg70

Trailer in a bag?

Post by nrg70 »

Hi all, I am a newbie anxiously waiting for my Buddy Italia 150 to come in next month at the dealership! I am glad I found this site!
Has anybody bought/used the Trailer in a Bag?

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

It looks good, compact etc. I am thinking about purchasing. I'd love to hear some reviews, comments etc. Thanks!
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

That's pretty creative, but for the price I think I'll buy one of the trailers that fold up and can be stored vertically. They look a little more 'robust' than this product and cost about the same.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I've got a friend who owns and uses the Trailer in a Bag, he recommends it to everyone. It's not the sturdiest, but it is nice to not have a trailer taking up half your garage.

Those folding ones from Harbor Freight aren't much sturdier, to be honest.

I have a SnowBear I bought from Costco a while back, I love it but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere since:

http://www.snowbear.com/page/Utility_an ... e_Trailers.

I remove the side/front/back panels (easy) and tilt it up on its side (takes at least 2 people) for storage and it doesn't hog much space.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
rickko

Re: Trailer in a bag?

Post by rickko »

nrg70 wrote:Hi all, I am a newbie anxiously waiting for my Buddy Italia 150 to come in next month at the dealership! I am glad I found this site!
Has anybody bought/used the Trailer in a Bag?

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

It looks good, compact etc. I am thinking about purchasing. I'd love to hear some reviews, comments etc. Thanks!
I've never seen this. Looks like a good idea (but I'd never ride my Harley up the ramp to load it).

Here is another idea. Simpler & lighter. Priced in high $100's. I've never seen one to say if its good or not but it looks like a great idea.

http://bumperbuddyusa.com/
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Bumper Buddy (and many other similar products) are great for a scooter, but you need a really high towing capacity and (IIRC) a Class III or IV hitch to mount it. Only a larger SUV/Truck/Van would have that sort of capacity. Even something as big as our Honda CR-V (a small SUV) is only rated for a Class I, for example.

You can tow a lot more with a wheeled trailer because the weight is on the wheels and the stress on your hitch/frame is mostly the force of pulling and stopping the trailer.

That thing puts ALL the weight on the hitch itself, and if it's not a very heavy duty hitch, mounted properly, it can damage your frame or the hitch.

http://hitches4less.com/trailer-hitch-classes.html

Note the tongue weights, the GTW is irrelevant in this case.

The weight of the Bumper Buddy, the scooter, accessories and gas would weigh more than (or frighteningly close to) the Class II tongue limit of 350lbs.

A great solution, if you've got the right vehicle for it, though.

Bb.
iinigma7

Post by iinigma7 »

Hey the bumper buddy looks pretty awesome! I might have to check that out.

If I was going to spend $1,200 on a trailer I'd probably get one that was at least big enough to haul a couch.
"...faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
emoboy44

Post by emoboy44 »

iinigma7 wrote: If I was going to spend $1,200 on a trailer I'd probably get one that was at least big enough to haul a couch.
+1
MMMMMMMMMMMMM
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

iinigma7 wrote:If I was going to spend $1,200 on a trailer I'd probably get one that was at least big enough to haul a couch.
Actually there's something to be said for being able to tow a motorcycle but not a couch. And that something is: "No, sorry, I can't help you move."

:)

Bb.
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

I think it is awesome, but it is too pricey. I am modifying a small trailer to carry my rattler now. I have to have it done in a week, but I am thinking when I am done I will have spent $400, and have a small trailer that could carry something else (less than 5' in length.

Of course it will take up space somewhere and likely not hang on the wall.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

The only thing that I could think of when I saw the Subject "Trailer in a Bag" was "Ball in a Cup"... :oops:
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

I borrowed a trailer in a bag and used it to haul my 350 Twin from Minneapolis to Chicago earlier this year. The biggest advantage was being able to carry the disassembled trailer in the back of my vehicle until I needed it for the return trip. Assembly was easy. The construction is sturdy. After you get beyond the nervousness and realize this is one solidly built item, it performs really well. The components are certainly better than what you'd find at Harbor Freight, et al.
It ain't cheap - but I guess you are paying for the quality and portability of the trailer.
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
rickko

Post by rickko »

illnoise wrote:Bumper Buddy (and many other similar products) are great for a scooter, but you need a really high towing capacity... a Class III or IV hitch to mount it.
You are correct. The BumperBuddy is designed for a 2" receiver. Class I and II receivers are usually 1 1/4".

The brunt of the weight is at the end of a 24" arm. With the 230 lb curb weight of a Buddy and 45 lbs carrier a Class II receiver would be borderline (ie. I wouldn't do it).

But if one has a 2" receiver like my girlfriend has on her Jeep Grand Cherokee, the BumperBuddy seems to be a nice inexpensive option.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
rajron

Post by rajron »

I just got back from a two thousand six hundred mile round trip with my Harbor Freight; $250.00 put together trailer. No problems what so ever. – The trailer still looks new (after I wash it)
Attachments
Buddy likes to camp
Buddy likes to camp
Buddy likes to camp.jpg (109.44 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Taking a break on the trip
Taking a break on the trip
Bar Sluts.jpg (67.91 KiB) Viewed 743 times