I AM GETTING A BUDDY!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Blackeyes24

I AM GETTING A BUDDY!

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Sorry to shout but I am excited. None of you know me yet but I have been lurking on your site for a couple of days now. I discovered the Pink Buddy this weekend and fell in love without even riding it. Unfortunately it was out of my price range. :cry: But a friend who I only know through a message board talked the owner into giving me a break. :D

This is my first scooter and I have spent a lot of time researching and saving for the right scooter. After months I still hadnt made up my mind and then I saw the Buddy and that was it. Reading the reviews here made me feel a lot better about my sudden decision.

Now my only problem is the dealer is 60 miles away and I am not a skilled enough rider yet to do all that highway driving. Man I wish I owned a truck.

Anyway i just thought I would introduce myself now that I am going to officially be the owner of a Buddy 125.

Sarah
LDB

Post by LDB »

Congratulations! Good for you. Where are you located? Maybe it's somewhere that a forum member could help out with getting it home for you.
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I think Pink is the Best! :bat:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Congratulations Sarah, I think you'll like your choice. So far I'm really happy with my Buddy.
60 miles is really far for a maiden voyage, especially on the highway. Is it possible to make the trip on secondary roads? Maybe if there's a campground somewhere near halfway home you could stop for the night a have some kind of one person scooter rally. :wink:
Blackeyes24

I AM GETTING A BUDDY

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I am in Southeast Florida. The scooter is in Miami and I am in Delray Beach about 60 miles away. I am a member of a local scooter site and I am hoping some one on that site might offer to help me get it. My mother thought i should just go get it but I recognize my limitations as a rider. I am trying not to get myself killed my first day out. :wink: I have my permit and I took a safety course but I am still not ready to do a 60 mile highway drive. The safety course was only in a parking lot. I am just happy to know I will be able to get it.
Lagerhead

Re: I AM GETTING A BUDDY

Post by Lagerhead »

Blackeyes24 wrote: My mother thought i should just go get it but I recognize my limitations as a rider.
The force is strong with this one.
jess

Post by jess »

Congratulations, Sarah. I think you're making the right decision about not getting on the freeway right away -- the freeway generally sucks on two wheels. If you can make it by secondary roads, that's an option, but someone on your local scooter site would be preferable.

But definitely stay off the freeway.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congratulations on your pink Buddy and welcome to Modern Buddy! :D
Last edited by jrsjr on Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
paige

Post by paige »

I would strongly, strongly suggest asking the scooter shop to deliver it. They may also have one of their people drive it over if you can drive them back in a car. As far as someone from a scooter club riding it for you, check your insurance. Mine is person and bike specific. My friend is not covered on my scooter, I am not covered on theirs. You would not drive a new car with manual transmission home if you did not know how to shift, so think of this. Enjoy your new Buddy!
Tamari

Post by Tamari »

Congratulations Sarah! Sounds like you are really psyched. Hope you get your Buddy home without a hitch, and please update us with your impressions after you've ridden her a while.

Ari
Denver
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Unfortunately delivery is not an option. I have literally spent every last penny on the scooter. Actually my mother is buying me the helmet and the lock because I dont have enough money. As for insurance the state of Florida doesnt require insurance for motorcycles if you have at least $10000 in medical insurance. Most scooter riders down here dont carry it. I intend to get some myself but it is going to take me a couple of months to get the money together for the down payment. There is some one on the message board who has a trailer and I am hoping she will be willing to go down with me to get it. If not I have no idea, I may have to wait till I can find some one with a truck. It sucks though because I have tuesday off and I wanted to spend the day riding around the neighborhood.
ruthjenkins

Fast riding

Post by ruthjenkins »

I've owned a 50cc scooter for a year and just upgraded to a Buddy 2 1/2 weeks ago. I took my 50cc on long rides (we took a 60 mile ride to Lawrence KS) and it about wore me out....and that was after owning it for a year...sooo follow your gut and stay off the fast roads and long trips until your comfortable. It's now worth an accident just to get it home.

Someone will come along to help you...look at the deal you got on the bike to begin with :D
ellen

Post by ellen »

You can always rent a cargo van from UHaul or Enterprise.

And congrats on your new scooter! :D
castleton

Me too!!

Post by castleton »

Hi! I'm getting my orange Buddy 125 TOMORROW! :D Bought it today, got my learner's permit today, and insured it today. There was just something about the test ride that felt so right. I'm a novice rider, too, so I sympathize with the "driving it home" dilemma. My solution? I mapped out the route on suburban and/or back roads, and I have a real life "buddy" who will be following me all the way. We're making a day of it, stopping for lunch and shopping, and generally just taking it easy. Wish me luck! (woo hoooo!)
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
jess

Re: Me too!!

Post by jess »

castleton wrote:I have a real life "buddy" who will be following me all the way. We're making a day of it, stopping for lunch and shopping, and generally just taking it easy. Wish me luck! (woo hoooo!)
Congratulations, and be careful out there. Hope you enjoy the ride.
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I am picking mine up tomorrow too. I found some one on my other message board who is going to bring her truck. Unfortunately where I live even the "suburban roads" are three lanes wide. South Florida has very few singles lane roads and my concern is a mac truck whizzing by me and blowing me off the road. Since all of the roads are multilane roads I can still encounter this. Not to mention I dont know a single person down here who does the speed limit. 45 means 60 and 60 means 85 so I decided not to risk it till I have some more practice.
Last edited by Blackeyes24 on Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Blackeyes24 wrote:I am picking mine up tomorrow too. I found some one on my other message board who is going to bring her truck.
Good news, Sarah! You're being smart to take it slow getting started.

Ride Safe!
castleton

Re: Me too!!

Post by castleton »

castleton wrote:
jess wrote: Congratulations, and be careful out there. Hope you enjoy the ride.
Thanks, Jess. Mine is a much shorter ride, about 30 miles on backwoods 2 laners. I'll post tomorrow when I get her home!

--Pam
--Pam

castleton

Today's the day!

Post by castleton »

Blackeyes24 wrote:I am picking mine up tomorrow too. I found some one on my other message board who is going to bring her truck. Unfortunately where I live even the "suburban roads" are three lanes wide. South Florida has very few singles lane roads and my concern is a mac truck whizzing by me and blowing me off the road. Since all of the roads are multilane roads I can still encounter this. Not to mention I dont know a single person down here who does the speed limit. 45 means 60 and 60 means 85 so I decided not to risk it till I have some more practice.
Have fun picking up your pink buddy today!! I totally understand re: Florida roads and drivers (I grew up in Orlando, and have been in your neck of the woods.) Glad you found transport; as much as I'm looking forward to riding home today, I know I'll be taking it slowly. We're lucky that Connecticut is such a small state with a lot of small side roads.

Sorry for "jumping on" your thread, but I just joined yesterday, and your excitement was so evident! Look forward to comparing notes with you--enjoy!!!

Pam-

p.s. Isn't it the perfect weekend for getting a scooter?
--Pam

scotsman

Post by scotsman »

Sarah - we just took on the Genuine dealership for Fort Lauderdale so if we can help you for accessories or service we will be pleased to have you as a customer. At the moment the scooters are still on the main website (www.pure-triumph.com) although we will have a separate site for Genuine soon.

Good luck with your new Buddy!

Regards, Martyn