Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Back on two wheels for the first time in 2 weeks today. It was scary, but good. I'm a little angry, because I feel like I have been robbed of some of enjoyment I took in the ride before the accident. I want it back.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

persephonelily wrote:I'm a little angry, because I feel like I have been robbed of some of enjoyment I took in the ride before the accident. I want it back.
I can relate to this all too well. In the end, what you lose isn't enjoyment but, I guess, blissful ignorance. The enjoyment comes back in time.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Re: Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Post by TVB »

Well, this is embarrassing. On my way to see The Hobbit: Episode I yesterday, pulling out of a rolling stop and turning at an intersection, Flash slid out from under me. No snow or ice on the road, just a little bit of the usual slurry of water with some dirt and petroleum products.

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color?
Buddy 50. Red.
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
No one else caused it, so "rider error" by definition. 12:30pm, overcast.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Again: by definition. Evidently I need to be more paranoid about taking turns on wet pavement.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
Sprained left wrist. Booboo on left knee requiring band-aid. Even though I went down on the right side. :? Wearing armored leather jacket, 3/4 helmet, leather gloves. Gear shows no signs of incident... even where my knee got scraped, the fabric of my jeans is undamaged.
5. What was the damage to the scooter?
A few scratches.
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
Not worth bothering.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
Let's round this off to 4 years. Standard driver's license.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
No.
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
I am his "companion". :)
10. How fast was the rider going?
Under 5mph.
11. How far was the rider from home?
3 miles.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

TVB wrote:3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Evidently I need to be more paranoid about taking turns on wet pavement.
Probably not a bad idea. After falling a couple times early in my riding career, I definitely got religion about turning on sketchy road surfaces.

Most importantly, glad to hear that you weren't hurt any worse than a sprained wrist and a skinned knee.
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

That's what happens when we underestimate the power of the Buddy 50!

Glad you're OK, and that the scoot didn't suffer more damage.

What did you think of The Hobbit? The local reviewer wasn't that impressed, so I hope it doesn't turn into Middle Earth's version of Star Wars 1, 2 and 3.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

jrsjr wrote:Probably not a bad idea. After falling a couple times early in my riding career, I definitely got religion about turning on sketchy road surfaces.

I thought I was already a convert in good standing of the Church of Careful Turning. I guess not. :(
Syd wrote:What did you think of The Hobbit? The local reviewer wasn't that impressed, so I hope it doesn't turn into Middle Earth's version of Star Wars 1, 2 and 3.
While there are things I would've done differently (tone, length), it's a good movie. Even with a sprained wrist.
Skippy

Crashes

Post by Skippy »

Been reading through this topic, and found it very informative as a new (1 month) scooter rider. I've been afraid of having the scooter come out from under me or me coming off of it if I hit a bump, etc. because there's nothing holding me on except me gripping the handles, unlike when I rode a small motorcycle and could hold on with my legs. Do others feel the same way, or is this something you get over once you've ridden for a while? But, I see people having these problems so wonder how common it really is.
TVB

Re: Crashes

Post by TVB »

Skippy wrote:Been reading through this topic, and found it very informative as a new (1 month) scooter rider. I've been afraid of having the scooter come out from under me or me coming off of it if I hit a bump, etc. because there's nothing holding me on except me gripping the handles, unlike when I rode a small motorcycle and could hold on with my legs. Do others feel the same way, or is this something you get over once you've ridden for a while? But, I see people having these problems so wonder how common it really is.
Inertia and gravity do a pretty good job of keeping you on the seat with bumps. Both you and the scooter are moving with the same direction and speed, so you'll continue to do so unless something changes that for one of you. If the bump pushes your butt off the seat, gravity will fix that right away.

The risk of the scoot coming out from under you is almost entirely from turning, where you're trying to overcome inertia, and leaning the bike to accomplish that. If you don't have good traction, the wheels can slip to the side and then gravity pulls you over instead of being your friend. Aside from the obvious measure of avoiding turns on slippery surfaces (water, snow, ice, leaves, sand, dirt) or taking them as slowly as possible, the key is to make sure you're not braking and turning at the same time. If you lock up a wheel (which is easier on slippery surfaces), you lose a lot of traction with it. So do all your braking before you start the turn, then start to accelerate as you turn, because that acceleration gives your tires additional grip on the pavement.
stASH

Post by stASH »

TVB wrote:the key is to make sure you're not braking and turning at the same time. If you lock up a wheel (which is easier on slippery surfaces), you lose a lot of traction with it. So do all your braking before you start the turn, then start to accelerate as you turn, because that acceleration gives your tires additional grip on the pavement.
An explanation I was once given was to think about the traction the tires provide as a fixed amount. Braking uses a certain amount of that traction. Turning uses a certain amount of that traction. So, if you are braking, there is less traction available for turning, and vice versa. It's always best to avoid doing both at the same time. Or at least always be aware that if you are braking in a turn, there is more potential for your tires to slip. As TVB stated, and as is taught in all of the safety courses, slow down before the turn, and lightly roll on the throttle through the turn.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

stASH wrote:
TVB wrote:As TVB stated, and as is taught in all of the safety courses, slow down before the turn, and lightly roll on the throttle through the turn.
The design of scooter/mc tires also helps the grip. As you lean over the contact patch circumference decreases...to maintain the same speed when leaned over you need to roll on some throttle forcing the suspension down and increasing grip.

This also leads to an infinite number of "my speedo doesn't work right" threads :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

TVB wrote:
Skippy wrote:Been reading through this topic, and found it very informative as a new (1 month) scooter rider. I've been afraid of having the scooter come out from under me or me coming off of it if I hit a bump, etc. because there's nothing holding me on except me gripping the handles, unlike when I rode a small motorcycle and could hold on with my legs. Do others feel the same way, or is this something you get over once you've ridden for a while? But, I see people having these problems so wonder how common it really is.
Inertia and gravity do a pretty good job of keeping you on the seat with bumps. Both you and the scooter are moving with the same direction and speed, so you'll continue to do so unless something changes that for one of you. If the bump pushes your butt off the seat, gravity will fix that right away.

The risk of the scoot coming out from under you is almost entirely from turning, where you're trying to overcome inertia, and leaning the bike to accomplish that. If you don't have good traction, the wheels can slip to the side and then gravity pulls you over instead of being your friend. Aside from the obvious measure of avoiding turns on slippery surfaces (water, snow, ice, leaves, sand, dirt) or taking them as slowly as possible, the key is to make sure you're not braking and turning at the same time. If you lock up a wheel (which is easier on slippery surfaces), you lose a lot of traction with it. So do all your braking before you start the turn, then start to accelerate as you turn, because that acceleration gives your tires additional grip on the pavement.
and even with all this understanding you still went down :(

just goes to show us. hope all turns out well for you this holiday season :)
Riding is riding
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:and even with all this understanding you still went down :(
Knowledge and skill are power, not omnipotence.
stASH

Post by stASH »

Ugh! I hate that I'm posting in this thread...

Dijon Stella 4T 150cc

Not sure, 8 am

I will be reconsidering riding after freezing overnight temps.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?

Minor chipped bone in right wrist, banged up left shoulder and right foot. I was wearing full face helmet, armored jacket, armored gloves.

Smashed windshield, patches of scraped off paint on front fender and right side cowl, scrapes on edge of legshield and kickstart lever, ground down end of brake lever and scrapes on mirror. Seems fine mechanically.

Still waiting on estimate, guessing $250-$500 range

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?

13 years of riding. This is the first time I've laid a bike down. Class M licesnse

No

Yes

maybe 20 mph

7 miles

I was on an exit ramp, decelerating, and leaning for the turn when I hit a patch of black ice that went across the entire roadway. It was sunny and clear out, had been below freezing overnight, and had been 2 days since it last rained. No wet pavement or ice anywhere in the previous 7 miles of my commute so I was really caught by surprise. Basically, recognizing that there was ice in the road and hitting it, and dropping the bike all happened in the exact same moment. It felt like I had no chance at all to even react to it. Since it was on a curve, and the lane had a cross-slope, I'm not sure I could have even walked the scoot across the ice without laying it down.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'm sorry to hear about your crash but glad to hear that your injuries weren't more serious. Something like this is always a time for reassessment. You've probably already heard the old saying - good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. Nobody but you can make the calls about when you should be out on the road and when you should not. (one little tough love comment though - essentially all one vehicle accidents are the result of rider error)
TVB

Post by TVB »

stASH wrote:I was on an exit ramp, decelerating, and leaning for the turn when I hit a patch of black ice that went across the entire roadway. It was sunny and clear out, had been below freezing overnight, and had been 2 days since it last rained. No wet pavement or ice anywhere in the previous 7 miles of my commute so I was really caught by surprise.
When the temperatures go above and below freezing is one of the most dangerous times of year. There are several spots along my commute where water seemingly comes out of nowhere and freezes in the road, even when it hasn't been raining or snowing recently. Treacherous, that is.
qazer

Post by qazer »

Well, time to bump this thread :(

Not happy about this, but this thread is one of the reasons I was wearing so much gear at the time, so I feel like it's my duty.

Buddy 170i, Mocha
Yes, just after nightfall.
Yes. Someone started to enter the road as I was about to pass by and while they would've stopped in time, I panicked and locked the brakes by trying to stop too quickly. Might've also turned the handlebars slightly to evade, but I don't know for sure. I was on the ground before I realized there was a problem. Drive slower, honk horn if I think someone might not see me, not lock brakes, don't try to brake/evade at the same time.
Yes, but not as badly as I could've been. I was wearing a full-face helmet, jacket with armor, gloves, boots, jeans. As you can guess jeans were the weak point here and I banged my knee up pretty bad. Hurts like hell to walk and I'm missing some skin. My thumb is pretty bruised/sore as well. The jacket/helmet did their jobs really well.
Had to get it towed as it wouldn't start. Had to get new brake lever, front blinker, headlight, headlight ring, left hand grip, and the panel on top of the headlight. There was also some scratches along the side/missing paint
Was about $300. Depending on how much of the rest of the cosmetic damage I repair, it could be a further $200-400 or some touch up paint.
A few weeks, moto license
Yes.
Yes
~20mph
2 miles

Shop was able to fix it and make it rideable in about an hour. I won't be fixing the cosmetic stuff right away, but am leaving it there to remind me not to be so stupid. I'll get it fixed eventually. Might try touch up paint first to see how that looks. They aren't big areas that are damaged except the top case, which I may get replaced.

I rode the scooter home today and was scared the whole way. Going to take some time until I'm back to the comfortable level (some might ignorance) that I was before. It doesn't help my body is still sore and that constant reminder makes me ride slow. Don't think I broke a true 30mph on the way home and the speed limits were 35 the whole way more or less. I just don't trust the bike's ability to break/turn anymore and that's going to take some time I think. Obviously it isn't meant to do both at the same time and I'm 100% to blame, but it still makes me nervous.

I also don't trust other cars at all. I almost got hit in the same manner again today where someone was halfway into the road before seeing me. This time I was going really, really slow and honked and they stopped. I might just start honking at cars I don't think see me when they are pulling out of driveways. Definitely a danger of the right lane.
qazer

Post by qazer »

Oh and I'm totally getting and wearing some pants with armor. My knee is hurting way too much to think jeans are going to cut it. And this was at a relatively slow speed.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

qazer wrote:Well, time to bump this thread :(
Well, crap. Sorry to hear about this—always a painful first post. Glad you were geared up and not more seriously injured.
I also don't trust other cars at all. I almost got hit in the same manner again today where someone was halfway into the road before seeing me. This time I was going really, really slow and honked and they stopped. I might just start honking at cars I don't think see me when they are pulling out of driveways. Definitely a danger of the right lane.
Definitely honk, flash your brights, whatever it takes! It'll help, but you still can't count on them seeing or hearing you. We can't ever assume someone's seen us, even if they appear to look right at us.
qazer wrote:Oh and I'm totally getting and wearing some pants with armor. My knee is hurting way too much to think jeans are going to cut it. And this was at a relatively slow speed.
After witnessing a crash last week, I've been posting in a few places about how "minor" crashes often don't seem so minor when you have one. The injuries can still take months to hear and the damages can run pretty high. Many riders make the mistake of thinking low speed crashes aren't that big a deal. Many of us learn otherwise, the hard way.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

qazer wrote:Well, time to bump this thread :(

Not happy about this, but this thread is one of the reasons I was wearing so much gear at the time, so I feel like it's my duty.....
sounds a lot like when i went down in 2011. different circunstances, same results. the ground is very unforgiving. i was also geared up 'cept for a riding jacket. no prob there, however. road rash on some swollen elbows, but nothing more. swollen knee, all that good stuff. and the banged up thumb / hand, too. these things will most likely swell and get worse before better. but it will pass

give yourself some time and heal up well. back on the scoot b4 you know it. for me it was six weeks b4 my right hand could reliably throttle / brake. i was sort of gun shy at first, but it soon passed and i feel i learned....something from the experience
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Sorry to hear. Many of us have similar posts when they were new.

I have a specific few intersections where people tend to just do rolling stops, don't see me behind parked cars along the side, and dart out. They inevitably flip me off when I lay on the very loud buddy horn.

Since it's a couple blocks from home, it's how my wife knows I'm almost there! :P.

For jeans, I did pick up a pair of Sliders, and the optional armor (which was like $10 extra). I can't say it's super comfy, but on longer rides or whatnot, I wear them.

Glad you're alright. Don't let it shake you too much. You'll be healed up and riding in no time.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:
qazer wrote:
Definitely honk, flash your brights, whatever it takes! It'll help, but you still can't count on them seeing or hearing you. We can't ever assume someone's seen us, even if they appear to look right at us.
Hell to the Yeah!!! Never be shy about doing whatever you have to do to survive in traffic. I've been to known to just stop if I don't like the looks of what's happening in front of me. It's maybe a little embarrassing, but, so what? :wink:

Sorry you crashed. I hope you heal up quickly.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jrsjr wrote:
ericalm wrote:
qazer wrote: Definitely honk, flash your brights, whatever it takes! It'll help, but you still can't count on them seeing or hearing you. We can't ever assume someone's seen us, even if they appear to look right at us.
Hell to the Yeah!!! Never be shy about doing whatever you have to do to survive in traffic. I've been to known to just stop if I don't like the looks of what's happening in front of me. It's maybe a little embarrassing, but, so what? :wink:

Sorry you crashed. I hope you heal up quickly.
Absolutely! Honk, scream, pass gas, whatever you need to do to get a persons attention!! Don't be shy, your life is at stake. When it comes to my horn it is like I'm having a running conversation with everything on the road around me. It is in constant use. Assume you are invisible and that every driver on the road is a blind, distracted, half-wit, who needs to be jolted out of their slumber.

Hope you heal up quickly so you can start putting all these good habits to use.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
qazer

Post by qazer »

Rode some more today in the daylight, road by the same exact area as before, and starting to feel a little more confident again. Definitely driving way more defensively which is good.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

jrsjr wrote:
TVB wrote:3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Evidently I need to be more paranoid about taking turns on wet pavement.
Probably not a bad idea. After falling a couple times early in my riding career, I definitely got religion about turning on sketchy road surfaces.

Most importantly, glad to hear that you weren't hurt any worse than a sprained wrist and a skinned knee.
I'll second the above as my crash also happened on wet pavement but old tires were the primary culprit. It was a 1986 Honda Elite 150 that I had just purchased and I was out for a test ride. The bike had low mileage, about 4K, and the original 26 year old tires looked great with plenty of tread left. It had rained earlier in the day and I hit a patch of pavement in a tree shaded area that had not completely dried out. It was a gentle curve at about 25 mph in a 25 mph zone but the rear tire lost its grip. The bike started fish tailing and a split second later I was on the ground with the riderless bike on its side about 20 feet ahead of me. I had my cell phone with me and was able to call for help. 19 days later I was back home after a stint in the hospital and a rehab facility. So, no matter how good they look, if your tires are more than 7 - 8 years old, REPLACE them!!

Bill in Seattle but wintering in AZ
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Assume you are invisible and that every driver on the road is a blind, distracted, half-wit, who needs to be jolted out of their slumber.
And, unfortunately, you won't be far wrong :( . I ride with the assumption drivers are trying to hit me. (nobody really knows the meaning of defensive driving until they have ridden a PTW)
TVB

Post by TVB »

Does it count if you aren't riding it? :? I was about to take the Buddy to the shop to get my front brake fixed*, battery replaced*, and general spring cleaning now that the snow and ice* are receding... when I dropped it.

Since the battery is dead-dead-dead and the kickstarter wasn't working (it isn't springing back into place, so I think the mechanism needs cleaning/lube), I had to jump it from my car battery. Rather than bring the car to the scoot, I took the scoot to the car, then pushed it – while it was running – down the semi-icy driveway. Which I never do (even without ice) for general safety reasons, but I couldn't shut off the engine* because I wouldn't be able to restart it.

Well, the scooter and/or I lost traction on the ice, and down we went... with me inadvertently revving the throttle, as I tried to hold onto the scoot and both brake levers... but only the drum brake actually working. (Memo: If you must move it like this, put your right hand on the rear grab bar, not the throttle.) We went about two meters before we slid to a stop. I'd hesitated in hitting the kill switch because I'd drilled it into my head that I couldn't let the engine die.

The scoot's fine. I ripped open a new pair of jeans, and my shin is scraped up (which added more unpleasantness to the long walk home from the shop). But at least the brakes and the battery and kickstarter are getting fixed! :|

*note the foreshadowing
Last edited by TVB on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! I want to say that I have never tipped a BMW motorcycle over while walking it and been flipped over the bike onto the ground and crunched thousands of dollars of irreplaceable fiberglass and... I want to say it, but it wouldn't be true.

Sign Me,
Feeling Your Pain in RIC
pickboy_101

Post by pickboy_101 »

Reading through these posts are enlightening and a bit nerve racking. I have been riding around again after a two year hiatus and I am remembering how oblivious cagers are. I onder how much rotten fruit I can carry in my bin, there have been several times I wish I had something to throw at teenager not paying attention then looking at me like I am at fault (if I was more like I primate I might settle for something else to throw :lol: )
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

TVB wrote:Does it count if you aren't riding it? :? I was about to take the Buddy to the shop to get my front brake fixed*, battery replaced*, and general spring cleaning now that the snow and ice* are receding... when I dropped it.

Since the battery is dead-dead-dead and the kickstarter wasn't working (it isn't springing back into place, so I think the mechanism needs cleaning/lube), I had to jump it from my car battery. Rather than bring the car to the scoot, I took the scoot to the car, then pushed it – while it was running – down the semi-icy driveway. Which I never do (even without ice) for general safety reasons, but I couldn't shut off the engine* because I wouldn't be able to restart it.

Well, the scooter and/or I lost traction on the ice, and down we went... with me inadvertently revving the throttle, as I tried to hold onto the scoot and both brake levers... but only the drum brake actually working. (Memo: If you must move it like this, put your right hand on the rear grab bar, not the throttle.) We went about two meters before we slid to a stop. I'd hesitated in hitting the kill switch because I'd drilled it into my head that I couldn't let the engine die.

The scoot's fine. I ripped open a new pair of jeans, and my shin is scraped up (which added more unpleasantness to the long walk home from the shop). But at least the brakes and the battery and kickstarter are getting fixed! :|

*note the foreshadowing
THat is pretty much what happenet to me couple of years ago: note to self never roll scooter anywhere while powered. It landed on it's side on the grass lawn with a small ding on the exhaust pipe. (I was rolling it to its perch and could have just as eassily sat on it which would have prevented the whole incident from happening) Lesson learned......glad it was nothing that required any kind of repairs, not even cosmetic.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Hipnerd

Post by Hipnerd »

ericalm wrote:
1. Buddy International 150cc (Blue)
2. Somewhat. Mid-day.
3. I needed to be more heads up.
4. Hip bruise. I was wearing an armored jacket and a 3/4 helmet and goggles.
5. Cosmetic. I broke a few body panels.
6. $400
7. 3 years. Fully permitted.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10 30 MPH
11. About three miles.
Jer32955

Post by Jer32955 »

Been a long time since I was here. Do not even remember my original user name.

I was rear ended while stopped for a school bus by a full sized pickup. That was nearly 2 years ago. The guy hit his brakes and managed to slow down enough to not destroy my scooter but manage to wipe out my right knee. Had to have an ACL allograph (sp?). That was the second time I was hit so I decided to take a break for a while. Finally got the scooter running again, just got back from a short run of about 10 miles or so. Nervous but I'll get over it.

150 CC Pamploma

No. 2:00 PM

Avoid school buses?

Torn ACL right knee. Required ACL Allograph

Scratched up right side. Cracked muffle cover.

Haven't repaired.

Several years off and on. 2+ years on the scooter. Motorcycle licensed

No.

Yes

Zero MPH

3 miles
TVB

Post by TVB »

Emphasis added for... emphasis.
Stormswift wrote:THat is pretty much what happenet to me couple of years ago: note to self never roll scooter anywhere while powered. It landed on it's side on the grass lawn with a small ding on the exhaust pipe. (I was rolling it to its perch and could have just as eassily sat on it which would have prevented the whole incident from happening) Lesson learned......glad it was nothing that required any kind of repairs, not even cosmetic.
Well, there were scratches; I just don't care much about those. And on closer inspection there was a little damage requiring repairs. 1) The bracket on the rear that holds the license plate (if needed) and a couple side reflectors, broke off. It actually came loose a year or two ago, and I reattached it with some rivets I had sitting around from old art-school project. So I did that again. 2) One of the plastic clips that holds the headset together on the right is broken, so the turn signal hanging from the underside wobbles a little. I'll have to do something to secure it, to prevent further damage.

I just picked up the scooter from the shop, where the mechanic helpfully showed me all the parts he'd replaced in the course of maintenance and repairs (all stuff I was going to have done before I dropped it): brake line, battery, rear tire, belt, rollers, fuel filter. Set me back $360, but that's way less than I paid the last time I had the cage in the shop, and that was for just one thing.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Argh, take off a few days and come back to find new crashes reported.

Jer32955, that's one of the nightmare scenarios we all face: no way to avoid it, nothing you could do to prevent such a thing. Bad as it was, sure it easily could have been worse. Thanks for posting. Glad you're around to do it.

Just out of curiosity, why decide to ride again after two years?
Hipnerd wrote:
ericalm wrote:
1. Buddy International 150cc (Blue)
2. Somewhat. Mid-day.
3. I needed to be more heads up.
4. Hip bruise. I was wearing an armored jacket and a 3/4 helmet and goggles.
5. Cosmetic. I broke a few body panels.
6. $400
7. 3 years. Fully permitted.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10 30 MPH
11. About three miles.
Yikes, what happened (if you don't mind me asking)?
hackett

Post by hackett »

Sad to report that cdwise went down this last weekend. Looks like she'll be out of the saddle for a while; wheelchair for three months. :(

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic112702
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Lots of love and prayers headed her way!!
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Aw, carp. Wrong thread. Dang tiny screens! :oops: thanks, az.
Last edited by PeteH on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

PeteH wrote:Buddy Italia at the St. Louis Bread Co. (Panera, for you non-STL types), Chippewa Blvd, around 5:45pm today. Had a topcase, I think.
Were they crashed? I hope this belongs in the sightings thread.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color? 2012 Stella, two-tone slate/cream
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? In the end, yes. Front wheel lock plus wet road on my morning commute
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? Most defintiely could have been avoided by slowing down sooner and paying more attention further ahead to anticipate the stopping traffic.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? Wrist is sprained somewhat and I think I may have broken the little toe on my right foot, but that's hard to tell; I can just say it hurts but I can move it (I think). I was wearing my Docs, a pair of Dickies, and my parka (along with gloves and helmet).
5. What was the damage to the scooter? Right side cowl scratched up. Edging on right side of the leg shield a bit scratched and the front fender has a nice scrape and is a bit bent at the moment but I'm sure I can bend it back without a problem
6. Cost of repairs, if any? None at the moment
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? A couple years total riding but just two months with the Stella. I have a license.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Yep.
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yep
10. How fast was the rider going? About 15 mph
11. How far was the rider from home? 2 miles
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Aw crap! That toe is gonna hurt a while. Even if you didn't break it a dislocation can hurt just as bad and takes forever to heal. :(
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

dakotamouse wrote:Aw crap! That toe is gonna hurt a while. Even if you didn't break it a dislocation can hurt just as bad and takes forever to heal. :(
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm not the most active guy, but limping around for a month because I can't put much pressure the outside of my foot is going to suck.

The wrist is getting a little more tender as the day drags on, too. Looks like I'll be taking a break for the rest of the week and....ugh...riding the bus into work. :cry:
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Sorry to hear about your crash Stilts.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I broke my left little toe last Halloween. The official heal time was 90 days, bu t it still hurt for 3 more months... I wish I had better news.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Tape the little toe to its neighbor for a few days.

I broke my left pinky toe when I was running upstairs to use the bathroom during the 2007 Rugby World Cup (rugby doesn't have breaks except at halftime). I couldn't believe how much it hurt, and I hate to tell you, still does, especially in cold weather or when standing/walking a lot.

Hope you heal up quickly!
tc8105

She hit my scooter!!!

Post by tc8105 »

Car pulled into my spot w/ Janis parked in it. I can not believe she didn't see her. Check out how long it takes her to realize!!!

Someone hit/knocked her over into my car the night of March 9, 2012. More damage to my car than my scoot. Couldn't prove who did it. I decided to set up a camera in my window. My nosy window cam caught it all. Thank goodness for awesome neighbors. One saw the whole thing, got her plate, car and her description for me. My other neighbor picked up my scoot on her way out to work- on her motorcycle, which was parked right next to mine.

Check out the video
People inspire you, or they drain you- pick them wisely ~Hans F Hansen
JohnKiniston

Re: She hit my scooter!!!

Post by JohnKiniston »

tc8105 wrote:Car pulled into my spot w/ Janis parked in it. I can not believe she didn't see her. Check out how long it takes her to realize!!!
Maybe she did see it and just wanted to break it.

Sad to say some people are horrible and this could be one, I'd say it was possibly deliberate.
Hellvis

Crash Rear Ended on Buddy BlackJack

Post by Hellvis »

1. Buddy Black Jack, Flat Black
2. Was the crash due to rider error? No What time of day did it occur? Lunch time
3. Could the crash have been avoided? No What will you do differently next time? Look more frequently in the rear view mirror.
4. Was the rider injured? Yes What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? Helmet
5. What was the damage to the scooter? Minor
6. Cost of repairs, if any? few hundred
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? 25 years Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? Yes
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? No, didn't exist back then
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? 30 mph
11. How far was the rider from home? 5 miles

I was hit from behind on my scooter, the driver who hit me fled the scene of the accident. The accident was on February 14, 2013 and I am out of work since then. Scheduled to go back to work in June 2013.

The major injury was in my right leg. Triple fracture, and after surgery steel plate and screws in my foot I have to wait until June until I can walk again. This was one of those freak accidents that I couldn't do anything to avoid it.
Live long and prosper.
dakotamouse

Re: Crash Rear Ended on Buddy BlackJack

Post by dakotamouse »

Hellvis wrote: 3. Could the crash have been avoided? No

Well, maybe. If the person who hit you would have put down his cell phone and finished that text message when he was parked!
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

That didn't occur to me to write. Very true. And if the scumbag had enough courage to stop and own up what he did would have been even better.
Live long and prosper.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Buddy 125 Kitted to 161 - baby blue
Yep, we can all make mistakes even with a shit ton of miles under our belts. About 1pm.
Hells yes. Give a rider in front all the space he/she needs.
Luckily my left boob broke my fall. It was really quite funny and I was laughing the whole way down. I have had on my corazzo 5.0, some leather gloves and a shoei modular helmet.
nope. that's what crashbars are for.
None
4+ years, M1 license.
Yes
Yes
Stopped.
50+ miles.

This was me riding too close to a person. We were on a steep hill of cobblestone/gravel/dirt in Mexico. It's a short but steep hill I've been down many times enough to know you just have to throttle through. I wasn't in the lead the the person in front was feet down and stopping and starting. At one point i stopped and in super slow-mo my scooter started tipping to the right and as I tried to hold it up, it started to roll down hill too, I just couldn't keep it up and was laughing as I fell to the left and slid down the hill a little. A vendor picked up my scooter and didn't know where the brake was so then it started to roll down the hill again so I scrambled to grab it before it fell again. apparently my left boob broke my fall as my active fit pedometer I wear on that side of my bra bruised me a little bit making it even funnier.

So two times my scooter has hit the ground and both times I was stopped. This one was 100% my fault. I should have taken the lead or waited much further back. it's just a really short hill and I had never had a problem riding it in a group before! Before never matters only the here and now. So I should have adjusted my riding.

_________
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Oh no Jen, sorry to hear this. Speedy recovery and thank goodness for boob protection :)