Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, really sorry to hear the two of you both got injured.

Angela, I had a shoulder injury from my scooter crash and know how horrible and painful that is. It gives you a new awareness of how the muscles in your back, arm and chest all connect there; you can hardly move without pain. You have my deepest sympathies!

This scenario is very similar to how I got rear-ended at the recent Orange Crush rally. Fortunately, the guy who hit me (who was on a big Honda SilverWing) just skidded into my rear wheel and bumped my topcase.

Unfortunately, at many big rides and rallies the formalities of safe group riding practices go right out the window. I don't know if this is true for this ride, but I've been in situations where the ride leaders just hauled out at breakneck speeds with little regard to keeping the group together or even losing people along the way. It's insane.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Angela

Post by Angela »

I don't know if I will ever ride with a large group again. The varying speeds, breaking up etc. I am way too much of a loner.

Again, my instinct told me to move formation and bail from the group. I should have listened. Lesson learned. All I care is about jijifer and if she is ok and her scoot being ok. It sucks when its a friend you smash into.

Can I say OUCH. Why did I deny painkillers? My boyfriend had to bathe and clothe mt today. I feel helpless.

Oh and I just talked to my friend from Motorsport, he thinks my scooter is totaled. So I hope insurance gets me enough for a new one.

When the time comes group discussion on getting another pink or moving on (Blackjack?).
Rex

Post by Rex »

Dooglas wrote:...Not to be too critical, but this sounds like the group ride from hell. No attempt to brief inexperienced riders about how to space out in a group or about how to handle traffic lights that break up the group? No attempt to discuss dealing with the varying speeds of riders of different skill levels? Nobody needs group rides like this.
It appears that you have made these preposterous assumptions based on what you've read so far when you weren't even there. Ride from hell? Come on. Anyway, to answer your questions and to keep this discussion in a civil manner, yes, we had a pre-ride meeting and talked about all these things. Ultimately, it is the riders' responsibility to ride and operate their scoots in a safe manner even after a brief group ride meeting. No matter what we say or how we say it, unfortunate mishaps could happen anytime.

Speedy recover for Angela and Jen. Angela, stay strong. Keep in touch and let me know if you both need anything.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Angela wrote: Can I say OUCH. Why did I deny painkillers?
It's not too late. Call the doctor in the morning and have a prescription called in. It always hurts worse the second day...
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

00ps
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angela

Post by Angela »

LisaLisa wrote:
It's not too late. Call the doctor in the morning and have a prescription called in. It always hurts worse the second day...
I'm seeing my regular dr tomorrow.

P.S. don't bash the group. its not their fault.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Dooglas wrote:Gosh angela and jijifer, sorry to hear about your accident and glad to hear that both of you are mostly okay. Not to be too critical, but this sounds like the group ride from hell. No attempt to brief inexperienced riders about how to space out in a group or about how to handle traffic lights that break up the group? No attempt to discuss dealing with the varying speeds of riders of different skill levels? Nobody needs group rides like this.
Wow, I think thats the first MB/MB rider impact. Sounds like a hell of a poor ride.

I don't mean to be preachy, but I gotta :+!: Dooglas, we ALWAYS explain riding in formation and try our hardest to impress 'ride at your own speed'. Our ride on Saturday ended up as two groups towards the end to help with this. Even so, we DID have a rider go down, but the general consensus was that they were NOT paying attention. They were ok though with only minor scratches(and some very bruised pride) to show for it, so it goes to show that even well planed rides with curtious riders can have accidents. I will say though that the ride was through some SERIOUS twisties that were challenging even for the experienced riders, so that may well have contributed to our incident.
Angela

Post by Angela »

i just got my scooter back. the headset is smashed but those are the only busted plastic parts, i mean like almost no scratches.

bad news, the front wheel is pushed back. looks like there is frame damage. my top case is all scratched still attached but scratched. i will still use it, its my scar from battle.

looks like it may be totaled with that steering column pushed back. taking it to motorsport tomorrow.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Angela, I gotta say, it is really, really great to hear you in such a good state of mind. You're sounding positive, talking about your scooter repairs, thinking towards getting back in the saddle, that kinda stuff etc. I am so sorry your scooter may be totaled, that truly sucks. But I am so glad that your injuries are only skin deep. :+!: :+!: :+!:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Rex

Post by Rex »

Kaos wrote:Wow, I think thats the first MB/MB rider impact. Sounds like a hell of a poor ride.

I don't mean to be preachy, but I gotta :+!: Dooglas
Kaos, read again, a few posts back - my reply. Dooglas made an assumption that we didn't do a pre-ride pep talk and immediately, without any merit, labeled this ride as a "ride from hell," but wasn't even there. Do not make the same assumptions please. I do, however, strongly side with you on the importance of the pre-ride meeting. Like I mentoned, no matter how much you stress safety, something could still happen and that's exactly what happened in this ride, and in your ride too. I'm a little disturbed at how some people automatically throw wrongful accusations. I'm sure you would feel the same if I had said something like, 'See, you had a rider go down last Saturday too. You didn't do your peptalk well enough." ;)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Wow, Rex posting on MB.

Folks, I don't want this thread to become contentious; it's really too valuable to current and future members.

Let's avoid making any assumptions about what took place at the SD ride and, in general, the conditions that lead to any crash. I realize that, to some degree, saying the nature of the ride contributed is a way of reassuring Angela and jijifer but it's really not the place of anyone who wasn't present or directly involved to ascribe blame or responsibility.

Unfortunately, crashes are part of scootering. That's one reason for this thread. Arguing about these things in the forum doesn't benefit any of us.

I know and have ridden with others who were on this ride and they're not the type of riders I described above.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Angela wrote:i just got my scooter back. the headset is smashed but those are the only busted plastic parts, i mean like almost no scratches.

bad news, the front wheel is pushed back. looks like there is frame damage. my top case is all scratched still attached but scratched. i will still use it, its my scar from battle.

looks like it may be totaled with that steering column pushed back. taking it to motorsport tomorrow.
Hi Angela....... I hope you're feeling a little better today and I'm very sorry to hear about your scooter. The steering column seemed very loose when we moved it but it started up ok. It was my first ride with the RB and they did do a pre-ride coaching as was stated. I'm just glad your injuries were not more serious. I look forward to meeting you properly and going for a ride with you in the future.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Rex wrote:
Kaos wrote:Wow, I think thats the first MB/MB rider impact. Sounds like a hell of a poor ride.

I don't mean to be preachy, but I gotta :+!: Dooglas
Kaos, read again, a few posts back - my reply. Dooglas made an assumption that we didn't do a pre-ride pep talk and immediately, without any merit, labeled this ride as a "ride from hell," but wasn't even there. Do not make the same assumptions please. I do, however, strongly side with you on the importance of the pre-ride meeting. Like I mentoned, no matter how much you stress safety, something could still happen and that's exactly what happened in this ride, and in your ride too. I'm a little disturbed at how some people automatically throw wrongful accusations. I'm sure you would feel the same if I had said something like, 'See, you had a rider go down last Saturday too. You didn't do your peptalk well enough." ;)
Ahh my bad, I missed that. I was assuming off Dooglas's assumption apparently :)

I'm not trying to accuse anyone, actually I was trying to point out that in a well setup ride, things still go wrong(ala my ride last Saturday)

Thankfully everyone is basically ok(Yeah I know Angela broke some bones, but they're ones that heal!)
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

LisaLisa wrote:
+! - I almost turned them down too, or asked for something weaker than vicodin, but I'm glad my wife had arrived at the ER by then and told me I was an idiot. You can always flush them later. Some might suggest using them recreationally... I would never recommend abusing prescription drugs, but, let's say opiates are the one silver lining of the whole crappy situation.

Also remember to take painkillers with food. You'll be eating enough of them the first couple weeks to risk stomach cramps.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Kaos wrote: Ahh my bad, I missed that. I was assuming off Dooglas's assumption apparently :)
No problem. Thanks for coming forward.

What's up Eric! See you guys at Amerivespa!

(And now, back to your regularly scheduled program...)
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Mine is not nearly as dramatic as the ones from this weekend. It's more of an idiot thing, which hopefully others can learn from once they stop laughing.

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? 2009 Italia 150
2. Was the crash due to rider error? - Yes what time of day did it occur? 7:30am
3. Could the crash have been avoided? - Yes
4. Was the rider injured? - No
What kind of protective gear was the rider wearing? FF helmet, and mesh Joe Rocket riding jacket
5. What was the damage to the Buddy? - A few scratches on right foot rest and air box
6. Cost of repairs, if any? - None
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? - 8 months 2,000 miles. Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? - License
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? - Yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? - Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? - 10 - 15 mph
11. How far was the rider from home? - 10 feet

At this time of the year the sign shines right into the safety lenses on our garage door opener, preventing the door from closing. I'd pulled the scoot up next to it to cast a shadow, and then closed the door with the remote. I pulled forward onto the damp grass, thinking I was going a tad fast, and then as I pulled back onto the driveway the front washed out on me. Scoot went down, and I jumped clear. No marks on me a couple on the scoot. I broke two cardinal rules, driving too fast for the conditions, and not entering another surface at a more perpendicular angle. There is a slight lip between the lawn and the driveway.

This was more embarrassing than anything else. Just that morning I'd almost not put on the jacket as it is getting warm. I've done this same thing for the last couple weeks without a problem. Don't get complacent, or it will come back to bite you.
MB #2349
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Rex wrote: I'm a little disturbed at how some people automatically throw wrongful accusations. I'm sure you would feel the same if I had said something like, 'See, you had a rider go down last Saturday too. You didn't do your peptalk well enough."
I didn't actually see anybody accuse you (or anyone) of anything - including me. I asked about prebriefing for the ride and whether key points were covered (my comment about "sounding like the ride from hell" concerned what happened, i.e. the accident). A couple others jumped in and commented that thorough briefings and experienced leaders are important for group rides. Yes, I can understand that you would be concerned and even somewhat defensive when people are injured on a group ride you may have helped organize. I presume an accident like this causes folks to revisit their procedures for group rides and revise them if it appears desireable. I do presume that would be a good thing. And I do understand that mistakes by individual riders can still occur with even the best of preparations.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Dooglas, yeah, I had to jump in right away to clear the air on this forum. Your reply was written in a way that leaned towards anything but positive about the group, about the leadership, and about the ride in general (at least that's how I read it. It even steered Kaos probably to think the same way.) But anyway, I know we all agree that a pre-ride peptalk is very important and again, no matter what we say and how we say it, something bad could still happen.

Ride safe. See you in Amerivespa if you're going.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Wow- dsmith65 in your own driveway!

That's impressive. :oops:

I must say that all the recent times I've had "moments" were in my own driveway- backing out while turning and putting a foot down on a roll-able twig! Luckily I haven't lost it... yet.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Glad only your pride was hurt, dsmith!
Just that morning I'd almost not put on the jacket as it is getting warm. I've done this same thing for the last couple weeks without a problem. Don't get complacent, or it will come back to bite you.
:+!: Excellent observation. Well said!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Angela

Post by Angela »

dsmith65 wrote:Mine is not nearly as dramatic as the ones from this weekend. It's more of an idiot thing, which hopefully others can learn from once they stop laughing.

This was more embarrassing than anything else. Just that morning I'd almost not put on the jacket as it is getting warm. I've done this same thing for the last couple weeks without a problem. Don't get complacent, or it will come back to bite you.
I'm so happy you were not hurt and your scooter is okay.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color? 125 light blue
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? Sorta. 6:30pm.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? I could have not turned onto that street. Only turn on streets I am familiar with?
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? I was geared up from head to toe, including knee pads. Not a scratch.
5. What was the damage to the Buddy? Snapped off the end of right mirror. May have added some little scratches, but she already had some so it's hard to say.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? Probably around $30 for a new mirror if I can get just one (did you know Buddy mirrors are $50 a set?!)
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? License. Nearly a year and 6500+ miles
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Nope
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yup. Poor thing. :(
10. How fast was the rider going? Really slow ~5-10mph
11. How far was the rider from home? About a block

I was going to the dive shop to pick up my SCUBA certification card and accidentally turned onto the wrong street. I decided to go up to the intended street by way of a little side street. I turned onto it and it abruptly turned into loose powdery dirt. Only in Tucson. I freaking dirt road in the middle of the city. At least it made for a soft landing.
Lift heavy eat clean!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Damn sorry to hear you went down. As always, glad you walked away and damage was slight!

Friends of mine who were forced to live in Phoenix for work called it Dirt City.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

So glad you are OK Becktastic. Thinkin' I want to get me some knee pads...

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Wow, glad you're ok Beck!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

glad you're ok Becktastic. Such a bummer. And another light blue, too!

I always wonder when I'm going to hit a patch of something that's gonna make me go down. You're lucky it was at a low speed. I'm imagining it as I'm cruising at 60 with cars on all sides.

I do think, it feels anyway, like my 100/90 zippy's are way, way more stable and sticky than the stock 3.5x10. I'm sure with 6800+ miles you've changed from stock - do you have the wider tires? On my stock, the raised lettering indicating the pedestrian cross walk used make my scoot squirrel. The wind doesn't push me around as much either. But I don't want to get too cavalier. As you have pointed out, you can encounter a different surface at any time.

Be well!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Glad you're ok, Becktastic! I hadn't seen you post in some time so I was wondering what happened to you.
I was geared up from head to toe, including knee pads. Not a scratch.
You go, girl! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

Thanks guys :) I'm glad is was such a gentle "crash", if it wasn't for the mirror it wouldn't have counted at all!

I just recently had new tires put on, but I think they are the same as stock? I haven't felt a difference. I don't think there was any tire that could have handled that dirt, it was like riding on powdered sugar. My girl needs a bath something terrible, looks like I've been taking her 4-wheeling :P
Lift heavy eat clean!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Becktastic wrote:4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? I was geared up from head to toe, including knee pads. Not a scratch.
Becktastic, so sorry to hear you crashed. Glad to hear your gear did its job and kept you safe.

Keep riding safe out there!

-John
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

Glad to hear that aside from the spill you're alright.

When I got my mirror replaced Bill pulled a single mirror out of it wrapping. So as far as I can tell they come individually wrapped. :)
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
shawnie

Post by shawnie »

I'm gonna post in this thread even though I was on my Stella instead of my Buddy...
1. Which scooter was crashed? 2009 Tangerine Stella
2. Was the crash due to rider error? - NO-lady ran a red light in front of me
3. Could the crash have been avoided? - Yes, if the DA would've stopped at the redlight
4. Was the rider injured? - Severely bruised. No broken bones (thankfully!)
What kind of protective gear was the rider wearing? FF helmet, mesh jacket, gloves
5. What was the damage to the Stella? Completely scraped down left side. Clutch lever broken off.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? - Hopefully none to me.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have?
Almost 1 year on the Buddy. About 2 months on the Stells.
Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? - License
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? - Yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? - Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? I believe about 20 mph when I made impact. I did see it happening and was able to break some.
11. How far was the rider from home? - about 3 miles
oryx

Post by oryx »

shawnie-

haven't met you yet (seems like storms or family stuff keeps us from making a sunday coffee meet), but dib let me know about this.

i hope you recover quickly! glad to hear your stella wasn't totaled too!
shawnie

Post by shawnie »

thanks! stella is in pretty good shape actually. hopefully the red light runners insurance will pay to have her lookin' good as new again soon...
i'll look forward to meeting you at coffee soon!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

All crashes welcome! Well, not welcome, but members should post crashes for any type of scoot here. I'd re-write the whole questionnaire, but we have so many responses already…

Shawnie, glad you were uninjured! That type of crash is often a lot worse…
verdecalavera

Post by verdecalavera »

as shawnie's better half, i have to admit that it was far scarier driving up on her wreck than being involved in my own several months ago. a few things she didn't mention. she split the back of her helmet due to the impact on the asphault. and i think it probably goes without saying that she probably would have sustained a back injury had she not been wearing her armoured jacket. she did everything correctly after her fall by laying still and not moving until the parametics arrived. Fortunately all of her x-ray and cat scan turned up negative. I have to believe that by being geared up, she saved herself from a much worse situation.

Shawnie religiously wears her gear. I on the other hand haven't worn more than my helmet and gloves since the heat got turned up. She has made me promise to do better. It's rather senseless for me not to wear the gear having seen first hand in my own situation how quickly a spill can happen. so, i encourage all of you to try and do better about gearing up.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

verdecalavera wrote:as shawnie's better half, i have to admit that it was far scarier driving up on her wreck than being involved in my own several months ago. a few things she didn't mention. she split the back of her helmet due to the impact on the asphault. and i think it probably goes without saying that she probably would have sustained a back injury had she not been wearing her armoured jacket. she did everything correctly after her fall by laying still and not moving until the parametics arrived. Fortunately all of her x-ray and cat scan turned up negative. I have to believe that by being geared up, she saved herself from a much worse situation.

Shawnie religiously wears her gear. I on the other hand haven't worn more than my helmet and gloves since the heat got turned up. She has made me promise to do better. It's rather senseless for me not to wear the gear having seen first hand in my own situation how quickly a spill can happen. so, i encourage all of you to try and do better about gearing up.
oh man, that had to be hella scary to see. A loved one on the ground with a split helmet. Thanks goodness this wasn't worse and hope you both recover quickly (again, hard to see, I'm sure).

good gear is our friend.
ageekgirl

Post by ageekgirl »

Shawnie, I'm really glad you're ok and weren't hurt worse in that wreck! If there's something Mike & I can do for you two, let me know.
dnpicardy

crashed my Buddy

Post by dnpicardy »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i dropped my Buddy a week ago. Hopefully others might benefit from my experience.

first, i would like to say ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET! i hit the ground pretty hard and my helmeted head bounced off the pavement. no headache, no nothing. hate to think what damage may have occurred had i been helmetless.

fortunately i was going pretty slow on a two lane country road. it was pilot error. sun in my eyes, a moment's distraction, not sure but all of a sudden my front wheel was in the soft shoulder and in a mega-second i went down. it was like i ran into a brick wall. was able to pick up the buddy and ride it home in an adrenalin rush. collapsed when i got home and had to be taken to the ER in an ambulance. suffererd major road rash, and deep cuts, fractured four ribs, and bruised muscles.

was wearing short sleeves and shorts in 90 degree weather.

many lessons to be learned here. just remember, it can happen to YOU!
I have ridden motorcycles since i was in college, long road trips, and at age 60 this was my first spill.

hope its my last.

be careful, careful, careful.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Amazing dnpicardy! You rode home with 4 broken ribs etc, etc, etc???? Damn! Glad you are doing as well as you are. And your scooter too. Speedy recovery to you. And here's to another 60 years of trouble free riding...

narcoleptic

Post by narcoleptic »

Layed the scoot down the first time today. I guess it's good to get the first one under my belt. :D

I was stopped at a red light. I was the first vehicle/scoot at the red light. When the light turned green, I made sure that all lanes that now had the red stopped and I hit the throttle. After going about 1/4 of the way through the intersection, I notice a car inching up as if it may make a right onto the road I am traveling on, I let up on the throttle and they stopped. I then hit the throttle again and they started going, the driver never once looked in my direction (the only direction for traffic since I was on a one way street). I laid on my horn and they still never looked and proceeded to make their right turn in front of me. I hit the brakes too hard because at that point I was about 5-10 ft from hitting their car. The bike tipped to the left, crash rails are good things. I picked up my stuff, adjusted my mirrors, and proceeded to chase them down a block and a half away. I pulled up next to their car and started yelling at her. Unfortunately, she spoke no English, said something to the male passenger in Spanish and then put up her window and started to drive away. I was furious! She was so clueless that she had no idea what I was saying, what she did wrong, or that she nearly killed me.

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color?
Buddy 50 baby blue

2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
Not really. 5:20 PM

3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Maybe. I broke too hard.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
Bruise and rash on my left leg/knee. Rash on my left elbow. 1/2 helmet and sunglasses.

5. What was the damage to the Buddy?
None, mirrors were knocked out of whack.

6. Cost of repairs, if any?
None

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
Less than a week other than riding mini-bikes and dirt bikes when I was a kid over 20 years ago. No license or permit as not required in my state for a 50cc.

8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
No

9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
Yes

10. How fast was the rider going?
10-15mph is a guess

11. How far was the rider from home?
Less than a mile
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Shucks narcoleptic. Not the way you want to start your scooting journey. Heal fast.
sherides

Post by sherides »

1. Which Buddy (50/125) was crashed? Color? Sunset 125
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? Yes. Evening.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? Yes. I won't try to jump the curb.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? A scraped ankle, slightly bruised knee. FF helmet, armored jacket.
5. What was the damage to the Buddy? Mirror knocked out of position, but not damaged. Some small scratches on the side.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? Nothing, unless I decide to replace the panels with the scratches.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? A little over a year. I have my license.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Yes.
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes.
10. How fast was the rider going? Maybe 3mph
11. How far was the rider from home? About 2 miles.

Laid her down for the first time, due to my own stupidity. A friend and I had squeezed our scooters into a parking space at the local theatre. He decided that it didn't allow enough room for the cars to open their doors, without hitting his bike, so he jumped the low curb in front of the space to park in an adjacent open area. I could have stayed in the space and been just fine, but n-o-o-o-o, I decided to leave the space for some small car and join him. I cleared the curb just fine, but when the back wheel bumped down, I inadvertently hit the throttle, then the brake(s) too quickly. I essentially just fell over. In front of a large crowd.

:oops:

I'd ridden over 2x4's before, and we even went over them in the MSF class. That's why I didn't think there would be a problem. Wrong-o. Don't think I'll be jumping curbs again anytime soon.

It could have been much worse, and if I'm going to drop Holly, I'm glad it was like this, but it was so avoidable... I'll be beating myself up for a while about this one.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sorry to hear you laid it down, sherides.

FWIW, the "accidentally twisted the throttle" problem had caused more than a few crashes. Recently, someone did this on the sidewalk outside my local Vespa dealer, plowed into two scoots for sale that were displayed out thee and totaled them both as well as his scoot.

So, um, it could have been worse!
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Becky, I'm so sorry to here about your crash. I'm glad you're okay. Hope to see you again soon on a ride.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
broke

Post by broke »

Doh! Sorry about the fall Sherides! Pride is an injury that does not heal quickly... But don't let it get you down! Go look in the mirror and smile at yourself. I do this at least once a day :D
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Anachronism

Re: Who's Crashed?

Post by Anachronism »

Anachronism wrote:

I hit a patch of sand/road salt around a turn and dumped. At least that is what it looked like- I have memory loss regarding the accident itself. I've been a LOT more timid riding since.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?

Yes, I received a moderate concussion and had post concussive symptoms for about 9 days after the accident. I don't remember the accident or what led up to it (I remember getting on the bike leaving a store to head back home and the next thing I remember is being on the ground in a world of pain).

In addition to the concussion, I tore my right biceps tendon and my deltoid muscle over the shoulder.

I was wearing a leather jacket, jeans, and a full face helmet. The witness said that I got thrown face first into the pavement, hence the concussion. If I wasn't wearing a helmet, or even one that didn't have face protection, I may not have survived.

If there is a lesson here, it is think seriously about your headwear. Around here, I see everyone wearing half helmets if they wear one at all. Honestly, the main reason I was wearing a full helmet is that it is cold outside. If I was wearing a skid lid, I would probably have a broken jaw at best, and could be dead from brain injury at worst.
Holy smokes! I don't remember writing this at all- this was a little over a week past the accident. I just found it searching for another thread.

I've since made a full recovery, but my memory from the time around, and the recovery of the crash is totally swiss cheesed.

Thanks for the well wishers!

Again, I cannot stress this enough. WEAR A FULL FACE HELMET! I was so amazingly messed up from a low speed dump, I can't imagine how bad it would be if I wasn't wearing a helmet.
accountantstan

Post by accountantstan »

I just wiped out about 2 hours ago. Going 25 down a busy street, when I heard police sirens. I could not see which way the cop was going to turn due to a large SUV beside me. I hit the brakes, hit some oil, went sliding down the road. The cop was super nice and stayed with me for a while. I am scarred from head to toe. My son is impressed with the scars though.
n2tattoos

Post by n2tattoos »

went down this morning. lady took a last minute left in front of me, skidded for about 10 feet. hit the side rear of the van, flew off to the side. missing some skin on the elbow and got lower back strain. doc gave me a nice supply of muscle relaxant.

poor Pamplona is probably totaled. mechanic says bent frame can be fixed, but insurance companies usually total it. hoping to get a new scoot (maybe an upgrade to a shiny, new Blackjack?).

hal1

Post by hal1 »

Have to chime in. I'm a new rider, and just started the MSF course. I am amazed to see the number of people who state that it was not rider error, yet give reasons such as cager turn in my way, slick road, hit bump, got cut off, and even "car ran red light"

Don't all of these fall under the category of S E E - Search, Evaluate, Execute. Not to pi$$ anyone off, but the situations listed, as well as other, DO seem to fall under the category of Rider Error
Asburyjer

Post by Asburyjer »

hal1 wrote:Have to chime in. I'm a new rider, and just started the MSF course. I am amazed to see the number of people who state that it was not rider error, yet give reasons such as cager turn in my way, slick road, hit bump, got cut off....

Don't all of these fall under the catagory of S E E - Search, Evaluate, Execute. Not to pi$$ anyone off, but the situations listed, as well as other, DO seem to fall under the catagory of Rider Error
I think rider error refers more to the idea that the rider did something wrong that brought about the accident. Sure the SEE might have alerted the rider to the land yacht that may pull out, but that doesn't prevent the land yacht captain from pulling out at such a time where the rider is unable to avoid. Hitting slick road or a bump could simply be something they missed for whatever reason. There is just no way to see everything and prepare for every variable. You plan for what you can.