Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skully93

Re: She hit my scooter!!!

Post by skully93 »

tc8105 wrote:Car pulled into my spot w/ Janis parked in it. I can not believe she didn't see her. Check out how long it takes her to realize!!!

Someone hit/knocked her over into my car the night of March 9, 2012. More damage to my car than my scoot. Couldn't prove who did it. I decided to set up a camera in my window. My nosy window cam caught it all. Thank goodness for awesome neighbors. One saw the whole thing, got her plate, car and her description for me. My other neighbor picked up my scoot on her way out to work- on her motorcycle, which was parked right next to mine.

Check out the video
Wow....

They noticed it was there. they pulled into the spot at 2mph and just ran right into it because they felt entitled to that spot. probably drunk or something, so they felt justified......
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

So i got backed into by a truck (like a 10' Uhaul).

We were stopped at a light and waiting for the left turn arrow. After the 1.5 cycles of the light and not getting the left turn, the driver starts to back up. I was in the center of the lane about 10' back and when he didn't hear me shout, i started hot footing it backwards. I turned to see if there was a car behind me and accidentaly turned my handlebars spinning the bike sideways and tipping it over. I got my right foot trapped inbetween the bumper and the bike and as i was going down I inadvertantly rolled on the throttle a little; the sound of my loud Prima pipe alterted the driver that i was there. Who knew loud pipes do save lives. :P

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color?
Buddy 150 Black Jack kited to 171 (Flat Black) 8)
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur?
Not really. ~8am
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Yes. Have a battery that works, so that the super loud horn works. Also, Line up on the left so that the driver's mirrors are visible.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?
No Injury. Helmet, Steel toe Doc Martins, Motorcycle Jacket.
5. What was the damage to the scooter?
A few scratches, cracked piece of plastic.
6. Cost of repairs, if any?
Not worth bothering, plus lightly broken panels look bad ass. 8)
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?
Since 2005 50-60k miles on two wheels. Full M endorsement.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course?
Yes.
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner?
Yes
10. How fast was the rider going?
-.5mi (hot footing it backwards)
11. How far was the rider from home?
half a mile.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SYMbionic Duo wrote: 3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time?
Yes. Have a battery that works, so that the super loud horn works…
Well, that answers my question.

Wow, that could have been worse; glad it wasn't.

Was this a rental truck? I'm extra careful around those because they're driven by people with no more experience driving them than I have!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

No, some type of work truck. Had a "Proud to be a Union Piperfitter" Bumpersticker.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

That sucks. if I'm behind someone I always make sure I can see their face in the mirror, or am behind a honda civic so I'm as tall as the car. Poor guy was probably very confused!

Glad you're OK.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

SYMbionic Duo wrote: 10. How fast was the rider going?
Best answer yet! :P

How do you like the kitted Blackjack? I'm thinking of making similar mods to mine.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

Christophers wrote:
SYMbionic Duo wrote: 10. How fast was the rider going?
Best answer yet! :P

How do you like the kitted Blackjack? I'm thinking of making similar mods to mine.

For the most part, i like it alot. Still trying to get the tranny dialed in and the carb properly sorted out. Doing 70+ makes me realize that perhaps it's time for new sneakers, something with a proper speed rating. I think that the Schwalbe Weathermans are the only high speed white walls.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

I was hoping to never post here...

Today at lunch break I pulled up to a traffic circle, and stopped due to oncoming traffic. I waited until it was past and started out. And old man (70's) zoomed into the circle right in my path. He did not look or stop at all. If I did nothing, I knew I would hit him, so I hit the brakes. The scooter shot out from under me and landed on the left side. I hit the ground hands first, and rolled, bruising my ribs in the right side. I did not hit my head. I bounced back up as I was worried about being run over by someone behind me. The man who cut me off went around the circle and stopped behind my scooter and got out.

Blue/Creme Stella 150 4T

Not really, 1:15 pm EST

I am not sure. The driver who pulled in front of me should have looked for ant traffic in the circle, and yielded. He said he did not see me (play it again, Sam). We have lots of traffic circles around here, and no one knows how to drive on them. The driver was moving at speed, and did not even slow down as he should have.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing?

Bruised ribs, Wearing open face helmet, Go-go armored hoodie, and Corazzo Urbano gloves. The gloves saved my palms.

EDIT: the ribs are finally feeling OK. It was tough sleeping for a week and a half.

Scraped rear cowl crash bars, scrape to legshield edging. EDIT: Front brake handle bent, Piaggio rubber grips torn up.

Isn't this what the crash bars are for?

EDIT: Seriously: New brake handle was $50, new grips $25, I banged the thrust ring back into shape, and was able to the the legshield trim back on. Looking pretty good now.

7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither?

6 years experience back in the 80's/90's. Been driving again since March 2013. I am fully licensed with an MC endorsement.

Yes.

Yes

~10+ mph. Certainly under 15.

about a mile.

All in all this was a lucky scrape. My boots are scraped up, but shoe polish took care of that.EDITS: Boots were repaired.
Last edited by slotrod65 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color? 2012 Stella 4t. Cream/Blue
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? Yes. 12:45 pm.
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? Yes. Pay more attention to state of unfamiliar roads and don't take their condition for granted.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? Broke the metacarpal bone on my right thumb. Ruined my favorite summer sportcoat.
5. What was the damage to the scooter? Clutch lever gone. Gear tube bent and handle ripped apart. Leg shield beading all but ripped off. Left side cowl scraped to hell. Front fender scraped up and bent a little bit. Amazingly, although the mirror mounts are a bit bent, the mirrors themselves are perfectly intact.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? An acquaintance has a gear tube and clutch lever for a P200 that he thinks will fit, so that saves me ~$70. Beading runs about $55. Not worried about the side cowl at the moment.
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? 2+ years, Class M license.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? Yes
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? About 20 mph.
11. How far was the rider from home? 8 miles from home, less than 2 miles from work.

Coming back from lunch I decided to take a short cut on unfamiliar roads. Made a turn and found myself trying to share space with an old trolley track. Front wheel and back wheel fought for direction and I lost. Helmet definitely saved my head.

slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Oh man, that really bites.... We have a few streets with trolley tracks around here, I will be sure to steer clear.
Between the two of us, we are kickin' the crap out of the two-tone blue/creme Stellas, eh?
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

slotrod65 wrote:Oh man, that really bites.... We have a few streets with trolley tracks around here, I will be sure to steer clear.
Between the two of us, we are kickin' the crap out of the two-tone blue/creme Stellas, eh?
Indeed, we are. :oops:

Even worse is that I can't play guitar b/c of the thumb and my band's next gig is the Turnbull DCs scooter rally in July. I may be up and running by then, so to speak, but it will be close. I apparently couldn't wait to ruin this scooting summer :P
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

Not sure what kind of mojo is going on here but I guess third times the charm

1 - 2012 Genuine Stella 4T 150CC Blue & White Two-Tone
2 - It was totally my fault and it happened around 6:30pm when I got caught in a flash rain/hail storm a common occurrence for springs in N. TX
3 - It could have been avoided. As I stated I got caught in the rain and it came down hard and fast instead of waiting it out under a car port I decided to head home found myself on an asphalt road heading to a T where the cross traffic does not have a stop. I was traveling about 25 mph and applied the brakes my rear tire locked up and began to slide engine side out. I released the brakes, corrected and tried to re-apply the brakes which locked up again. I was not slowing at a sufficient rate to stop before entering the T where cross traffic was also approaching. I put my left foot down and began to play into the slide where the front scooter’s leg shield barely kissed the asphalt.
4 - I was not injured, I had on full gear-ish: thick khakis, boots, leather jacket, gloves, ¾ helmet and eye wear
5 – There is a little scrape to the leg shield and the beading is slightly prying up. It is most probably only noticeable to me or other Stella owners.
6 – I am entertaining the replacement of the original leg shield beading with a double bar beading cost = $55 + shipping
7 – I began riding July 2012 so at the time of the accident I had 11months experience covering about 5700 miles
8 – I completed the MSF
9 – I am the owner
10 – by the time I was laying her down we were going about 3 mph
11 – 1.1 miles from home
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Ouch dudes, Take it easy and heal up soon.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

One good thing came of this...i like the idea of double bar beading on my bike and hadnt thought of it at all. thanks, socky!
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Socky: Man, that is awful. I am glad you are OK.

I have a Cuppini front crash bar in the shed, the kind that bolts through the legshield. I am now more inspired to install it than scared to drill the holes... The Prima rear bar was key in saving my side cowls.

Stilts: So sorry to hear about the thumb, and the gigs. I play as well, and it was only two years ago that I set my practicing back 6 months by opening a large door with only two fingers on my left hand, and pulling tendons. No chords for 6 months... Heal well my friend.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Stilts wrote:
slotrod65 wrote:Oh man, that really bites.... We have a few streets with trolley tracks around here, I will be sure to steer clear.
Indeed, we are. :oops:

Even worse is that I can't play guitar b/c of the thumb and my band's next gig is the Turnbull DCs scooter rally in July. I may be up and running by then, so to speak, but it will be close. I apparently couldn't wait to ruin this scooting summer :P
sorry to hear. get well soon. Just in case, check with Mark at Motostrada if not 100% sure about the fit of any replacements. A small group of us (offshoot from Chesapeake Coasters) are starting to do small rides around the area, so far testing to see how we are doing together on the road, following formation, etc. I am pretty leary of group rides but we'll see. It looks like I will be leading this weekend and my riding partner will be in the back keeping an eye on things. :shock:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

man, that sucks. I'm just reading this now. I can't stand railroad and trolly tracks and our nemesis around here, the steel plates. Glad it wasn't worse and you got to go to ECC. Heal up and maybe see ya at TMI in August.
dtcrouch

Post by dtcrouch »

1.2005 2t 150 stella blue
2.no 9pm
3.maybe slow down
4.broken finger , 4 bruised ribs ,rod rash and 1 '' crack in elbow
riding jacket also helmet
5. totaled steering was pushed back to about 6'' from the seat other misc things
6.none replaced w a 2009 stella
7.15 years , motorcycle endorsement
8.yes
9.no
10.40mph
11. 2 minutes
a deer jumped into the side of me
http://s782.photobucket.com/user/dtcrou ... eer-stella
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dtcrouch wrote:a deer jumped into the side of me
Hope you are all healed up soon. Having a deer jump in front of you is almost like being struck by lightening - hard to avoid.
dtcrouch

Post by dtcrouch »

the blue stella is a tank 3 days after i started it up and rode it around but yea im back to riding my 170
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

2006 Buddy 125, Pink
Yes, about 6pm
The crash could certainly have been avoided. I'd taken the mirrors off to transport the bike to a new city, and hadn't yet put them back on. As a result, I was trying to look too many places at once, changed lanes at speed on a rough road, and just ate it.
Scrapes and road rash. I was wearing a pair of loafers, shorts, golf shirt, and half helmet (I know, I'm terribly irresponsible).
Scrapes and scratches. It started back up instantly.
~$50, I just had the local shop look it over for damage I couldn't detect.
1 year of experience on 50cc scoots. This was day 1 on a 125cc. No permit or license.
No
Yes
~25mph
3 miles
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Aw gee, ElCid. Day 1 on a new scoot. Pushing hard on a poor road surface. Shorts, loafers, and beanie helmet. No permit or license. No MSF. I presume no insurance. Hard way to learn several lessons. Sorry to hear about your injuries, but certainly glad they weren't more serious. Learn from your experiences and go on from here. Hope you are back on the road real soon.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Re: Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

I was really hoping I'd never have to post up my own crash report, but it finally got me. just rolled over 33,000 miles yesterday before my wreck this morning.

Buddy 125, black

approx 12noon. It was more due to rider paranoia, but yea, my fault.

I probably needed to have a level head and clear mind. I had a lot going on and I think it contributed to my mental fatigue. I also need to focus more on myself and not my riding partner.

4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? I fractured my left big toe, my hammer toe. My ego was hurt more. I had full gear... helmet, armored pants armored mesh jacket, gloves. All but the helmet took a little damage but held up.

Broken headset, headlight ring, left brake lever, lots of scratches (which I'm not worried about), and need the front forks re-aligned.

Not sure, expecting maybe $200 in parts and labor.

3 years riding experience, M endorsement.

Yes, 3 years ago.

Yes

Approximately 30 MPH

15-20 miles away.

Julie and I were riding out to Woodbridge VA, ironically to go price out a Honda NC700x touring bike, maybe take it for a test ride. We were passing through Lorton, an area where we cross I-95, and there is a short series of several traffic lights and turn lanes going on all at once. Earlier, she had fallen back and I thought there was problems with her bike, so I was concerned. Just before my wreck, I was glancing down at the mirror to see how she was. It looked to me like she had someone aggressively tailgating her. I took my eye off the road for just a second, having seen the first light green after the railroad bridge (we went under). There were 2 lights within about 75' of each other and between bridges for Amtrak and I-95. I passed through the first light, glancing in the mirror at her. The second light was red and I sailed into the intersection (at speed) towards cross traffic. I locked up the breaks and laid it down, with me and the bike sliding across the intersection.

When I realized I wasn't seriously injured, it took me a little while to collect myself and get my bike out of the intersection. We had citizens calling 911 saying it was a hit and run, because that's what the cops asked me when they showed up was "where was the other driver?". I had turned away the medics, and the cops were super cool, still hanging around and offering to help in anyway. I didn't feel comfortable riding it, so Julie pushed it to a nearby fire station where we hung out until an awesome friend offered to pick us up. We were both a little shaken up, but grateful it wasn't worse.

The left big toe is all mangled up, fractured and on ice right now. My BOOT on my left foot actually came off. Lesson learned. Stupid me used slip on boots issues for work as my riding boots. The left one came off and sailed across the intersection, after getting grinded down to the steel toe on the front. If my boot stayed on, I probably wouldn't have fractured my toe. I can't stress enough how important it is to have not only steel toe boots, but secure boots, that will stay on. Be safe everyone!
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Sorry to hear Bootscootin. Hope the toe recovers well. The most difficult after a crash is getting over the jitters next time your on your scoot. So good luck.
TVB

Re: Who's Crashed? [Crash Reports]

Post by TVB »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:I can't stress enough how important it is to have not only steel toe boots, but secure boots, that will stay on.
This is why I always clench my toes extra tight when I wear my DOT flip-flops, to keep them from falling off.

Sucks that it happened, but it sounds like your gear (mostly) did its job and you'll recover to ride another day.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Sorry to hear you crashed, speedy recovery!

It's actually not recommended to have steel toes for riding. Riding boots do have reinforcements in key areas, but the steel is really heavy compared to the rest, and can actually cause more injuries in a wreck.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Noooooo!!!!! BSFF I am so sorry to hear this!! But so glad you are hurt no worse! It actually sounds like you were somewhat fortunate. A lot of damage can happen in an intersection! Rest up, heal up, take it easy. The mothership can be repaired. Sucks you never got to see your NC700 but there will be others if that one is not meant to be. So don't sweat it.

Sending healing thoughts your way!!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

Bummer BsFF. Sucks to go down; glad it wasn't worse. Heal quick, OK?

I'm curious. Will you be able to work, or will a busted big toe keep you sidelined for a while?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

BSF - So sorry to hear about the accident and damage to the scoot. I'm thankful it wasn't worse. Thank you for the reminder to always be alert in all directions.

I'll see you at the Meltdown, and by then hopefully you will be back on the mothership.

RT -
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dude...you made it cross country no problems and now this? Heal up, the mothership will survive.

Best wishes my CBR brother!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BootScootin'FireFighter

thanks for all the well wishes everyone! The toe is pretty mashed up, and I'm unable to be on full duty, so I will report to light duty later this week. In the meantime, the mothership will be heading to Richmond this evening to get fixed up. It should be ready in time for meltdown, but if not, I have a Big Ruckus on standby to borrow.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

BSF - Hate to read of this happening to you!

Thanks for the write up, for helping the rest of us increase our knowledge.

Heal properly, and quickly! I'll be rooting for you!

Kurt
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Oh no! I'm glad you're okay and the bike is fixable. I know the feeling all too well. Glad to see you'll be up and running in some way, shape, or form for Meltdown. I'm very much looking forward to meeting up with you and Kevin for the ride up!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Gosh BSFF, sorry to hear you went down. Glad it was not too serious. I notice when I ride that the whole thing is a matter of my personal concentration and focus. If that slacks off, I start to make mistakes (and it is time to readjust my head or end the ride early). Cars are fairly forgiving (or at least the consequences of minor mistakes rarely include injury). Two-wheelers are a whole different deal.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:thanks for all the well wishes everyone! The toe is pretty mashed up, and I'm unable to be on full duty, so I will report to light duty later this week. In the meantime, the mothership will be heading to Richmond this evening to get fixed up. It should be ready in time for meltdown, but if not, I have a Big Ruckus on standby to borrow.
Wow what a suprise, so sorry and heal fast!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

BSF, sorry.....Hang in there. Take it easy, it takes time to heal. Poor Julie also - I can't even imagine what she went through.
{{{{{virtual hug to both of you}}}}}
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:thanks for all the well wishes everyone! The toe is pretty mashed up, and I'm unable to be on full duty, so I will report to light duty later this week. In the meantime, the mothership will be heading to Richmond this evening to get fixed up. It should be ready in time for meltdown, but if not, I have a Big Ruckus on standby to borrow.
Aww man, I'm sorry to hear about this? Are you actually in town? Can I buy you a beer? Hope you heal quickly, man.
BootScootin'FireFighter

LunaP wrote:Aww man, I'm sorry to hear about this? Are you actually in town? Can I buy you a beer? Hope you heal quickly, man.
Thanks anyway Luna! Ed stopped by on his way back home and loaded it up this morning.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'd think you'd be about the last one to post here stating 'rider error' as the reason for your crash. Riding distracted is dangerous, riding fatigued is likely the reason I've not put even 200 miles on the scoot this season.
Be careful with that toe, I broke the next one in from the big toe maybe 10-12 years ago, did nothing about it, bloody thing still hurts from time to time!
Heal quick, ride safe.
Give me a holler when you're in town for the 'Melt-down' as I will not be attending again this year......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

BSF - I'm sorry to hear about this and wish you a speedy recovery! I've been on rides with my boyfriend and he does the same thing - try to watch over me through his mirrors. I think in the future I'll ask him to let me ride ahead. He'll have to go slower to match my pace but that way he can still "watch over me" while looking ahead.

Sending healing mojo you way....

Fiona
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Aw man, I just noticed this thread had reappeared. :shock: BSFF, so sorry to hear that you crashed. I hope your foot heals up fast. I may be going by SR this week. I'll try to look in on the mothership. I hope you both are on the road to recovery (and Alaska!) again soon!
zgw

Post by zgw »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color? 2 day old 2013 Red Buddy 125
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? partially/ 8:00 am
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? yes/ hopefully not lock up the brakes
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? only a scraped arm and really sore/ no protective gear
5. What was the damage to the scooter? broken headlamp assembly, top and bottom handlebar covers, scratches on the left side
6. Cost of repairs, if any? $500 in parts and labor
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? A few months/ yes
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? no
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? yes
10. How fast was the rider going? 25 mph
11. How far was the rider from home? 2.5 miles

Super bummed that I wrecked my 2 day old buddy. A guy slammed on his brakes in front of me (I was not following too closely) and being an inexperienced rider I pulled the brakes too hard and fell over sliding the scooter on its side. Luckily I only had a few scrapes. Being an idiot, I was not wearing a helment b/c I thought I was too cool for one. I learned my lesson and immediately went to purchase a helmet. I have since ridden 120 miles in downtown Chicago and I'm feeling much better about riding it on these crazy streets.
[/b]
TVB

Post by TVB »

zgw wrote:Super bummed that I wrecked my 2 day old buddy. A guy slammed on his brakes in front of me (I was not following too closely) and being an inexperienced rider I pulled the brakes too hard and fell over sliding the scooter on its side. Luckily I only had a few scrapes. Being an idiot, I was not wearing a helment b/c I thought I was too cool for one. I learned my lesson and immediately went to purchase a helmet. I have since ridden 120 miles in downtown Chicago and I'm feeling much better about riding it on these crazy streets.
Ouch! That's gotta hurt, and not just physically. Glad to hear you weren't hurt badly, and have learned from the experience.
sfchorus

Post by sfchorus »

So sorry to hear this! I hope you heal up soon, and am glad to hear you're up and on a bike riding around Chicago. Way to get back "on the horse!"
Rob

Post by Rob »

zgw wrote:Super bummed that I wrecked my 2 day old buddy. A guy slammed on his brakes in front of me (I was not following too closely) and being an inexperienced rider I pulled the brakes too hard and fell over sliding the scooter on its side. Luckily I only had a few scrapes. Being an idiot, I was not wearing a helment b/c I thought I was too cool for one. I learned my lesson and immediately went to purchase a helmet. I have since ridden 120 miles in downtown Chicago and I'm feeling much better about riding it on these crazy streets.
[/b]
Count your self semi-lucky that you weren't hurt worse. A great reason to take the MSF. Some of the training exercises deal specifically with situations such as this.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

1. Which model and displacement (CCs) scooter was crashed? Color? Genuine Buddy 150 Italia
2. Was the crash due to rider error? What time of day did it occur? Yes, 7:15 pm
3. Could the crash have been avoided? What will you do differently next time? I only grabbed my front brake and not the back brake.
4. Was the rider injured? What type of protective gear or clothing was the rider wearing? Bad bruises on right forearm and some road rash. Bruises to both knees. I had long pair of jeans, jean jacket, and a helmet and leather gloves.
5. What was the damage to the scooter? scrapped up the right side of scooter, not sure have not looked real close. I drove away from the accident.
6. Cost of repairs, if any? Not sure
7. How much (weeks, months, years) riding experience does the rider have? Does the rider have a motorcycle permit, license or neither? I have been riding a scooter or motorcycle for about 13 years. I have a motorcycle license.
8. Had the rider completed the MSF course? No
9. Was the rider the scooter's owner? Yes
10. How fast was the rider going? 40 bph
11. How far was the rider from home? Was about ten miles
The ironic thing was I just had left my church and heard a sermon on pain and suffering, then I have a scooter accident and have pain and suffering. The worst of my injuries has been to my right knee. I have been on crutches. Just bad swelling and tenderness. My second visit to the list. :( [/b]
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

BGWSS - sorry to hear of the accident - there was no detail how it happened? Could you elaborate?

Heal up quickly!

I'm a pastor, and I'm glad I wasn't the preacher that day at your church :D

RT
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Grabbed the front brake to hard should have grabbed the front and the back brake. I assume the front end twisted to the left and I and my scooter slid. I just remember grabbing the brake and the next thing I know I am on the ground watching my scooter sliding in front of me.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

bgwss wrote:Grabbed the front brake to hard should have grabbed the front and the back brake. I assume the front end twisted to the left and I and my scooter slid. I just remember grabbing the brake and the next thing I know I am on the ground watching my scooter sliding in front of me.
I think Todd was interested in hearing about the situation and circumstances that lead to said grabbing of the front brake in too hard a manner. :-)

I'm interested, anyway.
sfchorus

Got stuck in a pothole and I fell off my bike.

Post by sfchorus »

I can't believe I did that!

Buddy 125, white
Well, it was a surface hazard that this rider didn’t see in time, so does that count as rider error?
Yes, that could have been avoided. I was practicing splitting lanes and was focused on the cars on either side of me, instead of on the road right in front of me. Maybe I need to be more conservative when trying to learn a new scootering skill?
Bruised ego and right knee. No road rash. Wearing ff helmet, gloves, armor jacket, boots, and thermals under my work pants. I think the thermals went a long way in preventing road rash.
None that I could discern, except the right mirror is lose on its stalk.
Prolly nothing.
Four months of riding experience. I have an M1 license.
Yes.
Yes
I was in heavy traffic so slow, like, 10-15 mph, if that.
3 miles.

I was riding home on a new route, learning to split lanes in slow, heavy traffic. I was just starting to accelerate when all of a sudden, my bike stopped moving (I remember wondering what I was doing wrong – I wasn’t even engine braking) as I hit that four inch deep pothole. Although my bike had stopped moving, my body was still in motion, which, I think, is why I found myself diving into the pavement, thinking the following thoughts:
1. I can’t believe I’m actually going to fall.
2. I’m glad I have a ff helmet. Let’s see if it works.
3. I’m glad I have all this gear on. Let’s see if it works.
4. I hope this fall isn’t too bad.
Then I was on the street realizing that I wasn’t physically hurt. I got up, picked up my bike (this was a struggle because the wheel was still caught in that big pothole) and walked it to the sidewalk. A nice man helped me. I stayed on the sidewalk for a few minutes, then rode home. I stopped for gas and a Quick Pick on the way (but today isn’t my lucky day, just in case you can’t tell).
Happy to be physically safe. Happy to get that first accident over with. I will continue to ride my bike and be ever more vigilant about what’s in front of me.