First scooter... it's a Buddy!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

golfingirl

First scooter... it's a Buddy!

Post by golfingirl »

Hey! I'm very excited! I just got back from my dealer where I ordered my Buddy 125... to be here in 7 - 10 days. I'm totally new to scooting. I've riden a few scooters over the years but have never owned one.

New to Atlanta, from Canada, thought a scooter would be perfect in this fine weather and cost efficient. Did some research and loved the rave reviews and style of the Buddy.

I still haven't seen one in person as there is, sadly, one dealer in ATL and the Genuine scooters are available only by special order.

Since I am sooo new to this scooter culture, I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions for everyone on this great forum.

PS. It's orange!

:lol:
Laura
Tamari

Got my scooter- it's a Buddy!

Post by Tamari »

Laura,

Congratulations on your new Buddy! What was its weight and height at birth?
jess

Post by jess »

Welcome to the forum, Laura. Now would be a good time to start looking at some decent riding gear. I also generally recommend to first-time scooterists that they consider taking the MSF Course to learn some basic riding skills. Taking the class definitely pays dividends in the long run in terms of keeping you safe.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks Tamari. I'm not sure on the height and weight. Although, I hope the delivery is easy! :wink:
Laura
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Jess,

I'm all about the safety and I will certainly enroll myself and my husband in the course.

Now, what do you mean by riding gear? Any suggestions on quality helmets?
Laura
jess

Post by jess »

golfingirl wrote:Now, what do you mean by riding gear? Any suggestions on quality helmets?
These are my own opinions, and how I dress when I ride. I try to avoid telling anyone else how they should dress, instead preferring to lead by example.

I (personally) prefer a full face helmet. An acceptable substitute is a flip-face helmet, which lets you raise the chin-bar part of the helmet when you're not actually riding (such as while getting gas or asking directions). The exact brand and model is unimportant -- different people have different shaped heads, and one brand will fit one person very well while another brand won't.

I wear boots that cover the ankles. They don't have to be motorcycle-specific, but they should be sturdy and cover the ankles. My personal favorites are Doc Marten pull-on (not laced) boots. Sturdy high-top hiking shoes are an acceptable substitute.

I wear a jacket with armor in the shoulders, elbows, and a pad over the spine. My favorite is the Corazzo Bomber Jacket, but the Corazzo Hoody is quite nice too. Armor is a personal choice, but wearing a jacket of some kind, especially one with abrasion resistance, is a prudent choice.

I always wear eye protection, even under my full-face helmet. I often ride with the visor open, so shatterproof sunglasses (available at any motorcycle shop) are prudent.

I have armored pants, and I have jeans reinforced with kevlar. I don't always wear these, but I always wear pants, and never shorts.

I wear a variety of different gloves, depending on the weather. The heavier (and warmer) ones have padding on the knuckles, the lighter-weight ones don't. I never ride without gloves.

Again, these are my choices. I can't force anyone to dress or think like me, but scootering is just as dangerous in most respects as riding a motorcycle, and so I take safety gear pretty seriously.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

golfingirl wrote:Any suggestions on quality helmets?
Golfingirl, I just want to add another comment about helmets... be sure to try on at least 2 or 3 different brands before you choose one. You would be surprised at the different shapes helmets have from brand to brand. Even the sizes can vary slightly between brands. Have a salesperson help you... they can tell you how to tell if the fit is right.

Congratulations on your soon-to-be Buddy!

~ Shellee
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks everyone for their advice to keep me safe as I enjoy my new Buddy!
Laura