Buddys at the Vegas rally

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

Buddys at the Vegas rally

Post by Mike @ NoHo Scooters »

Just wondering if anyone here is headed to the High Rollers Scooter weekend in Las Vegas this February. Its not too late to make your room reservations at the gold coast. check out http://www.lvscooterrally.com for more info.

NoHo Scooters is sponsoring the third annual scooterist poker game on Friday.
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

Named "Best Scooter Shop" by Los Angeles Magazine in their 2009 Best Of LA issue!

www.twitter.com/nohoscooters
www.facebook.com/nohoscooters
www.youtube.com/nohomike
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GatsbyGirl & I are discussing heading out. The big issues right now, of course, are that we need a new Buddy (that insuranc check should come any day now, I hope!) and then to figure out how to get 2 scoots out to LV. Anyone have suggestions on the ideal vehicle to rent to haul one Buddy and one Vespa?
Last edited by ericalm on Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:Anyone have suggestions on the ideal vehicle to rent to haul one Buddy and one Vespa?
Do you have a car or truck that you could use to pull a trailer? U-Haul has a motorcycle trailer you can rent. Otherwise a good sized van and and some padding and imagination should do it. Just a couple thoughts.
ScooterMonkey

Post by ScooterMonkey »

Me & my GF are going. We've already got reservations at the GoldCoast. As to how we'll get there...well we have a dream about scootin'. We're coming from Phoenix so it might be too much of a ride for us. We'd really like to do it tho.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
ericalm wrote:Anyone have suggestions on the ideal vehicle to rent to haul one Buddy and one Vespa?
Do you have a car or truck that you could use to pull a trailer? U-Haul has a motorcycle trailer you can rent. Otherwise a good sized van and and some padding and imagination should do it. Just a couple thoughts.
Unfortunately, two VWs; nothing with a hitch. May have to take some measurements and, yeah, hope for the best.

We should definitely look into a ModernBuddy meet up!
Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

ericalm wrote:GatsbyGirl & I are discussing heading out. The big issues right now, of course, are that we need a new Buddy (that insuranc check should come any day now, I hope!) and then to figure out how to get 2 scoots out to LV. Anyone have suggestions on the ideal vehicle to rent to haul one Buddy and one Vespa?
I know people who have rented a Ford Ranger from Hertz or Budget to go to a scooter rally. They come with a bed cover which is aparently very easy to remove with common tools. Just make sure you reinstall it before returning the truck.

The insurance company had your Buddy picked up the other day, so hopefully they will take care of you soon.
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

Named "Best Scooter Shop" by Los Angeles Magazine in their 2009 Best Of LA issue!

www.youtube.com/nohomike
FlyingGary

Post by FlyingGary »

Mike@NoHo,

For folks considering coming into town for this from far-away lands (Chicago), do you know of any Las Vegas scooter shops that would rent scooters for the rally?

Thx.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I'm in Vegas for a conference right now.

Sure would love to zoom around out there on my Buddy.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

wow- does anyone know if the rental motorcycle trailers hold 2 bikes? our buddys would like to go to Niagara on the Lake this summer :D
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: Unfortunately, two VWs; nothing with a hitch. May have to take some measurements and, yeah, hope for the best.
Are they modern VW's? If so, you can probably find a hitch to fit them. I've seen people tow motorcycles using a Miata...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:
ericalm wrote: Unfortunately, two VWs; nothing with a hitch. May have to take some measurements and, yeah, hope for the best.
Are they modern VW's? If so, you can probably find a hitch to fit them. I've seen people tow motorcycles using a Miata...
Modern and modern-ish: an '06 new beetle and a '91 Cabriolet...
Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

FlyingGary wrote:Mike@NoHo,

For folks considering coming into town for this from far-away lands (Chicago), do you know of any Las Vegas scooter shops that would rent scooters for the rally?

Thx.
Unfortunately Sin City Scooters closed, they were the best rental place on the strip. Tim, the owner, was a scooterist from the UK.

There are plenty of other spots that rent 49cc scooters on the strip. Some of the nicer ones rent Vespas, Kymcos, and TGBs. I imagine that some may be renting Buddy 50s by now.
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

www.youtube.com/nohomike
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

FlyingGary wrote:For folks considering coming into town for this from far-away lands (Chicago), do you know of any Las Vegas scooter shops that would rent scooters for the rally?
This place has some 50cc scoots, Hondas and Vespa LX50.

That's all I could find via Google. You may want to even try the concierge desk at the hotel.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: Modern and modern-ish: an '06 new beetle and a '91 Cabriolet...
A hitch for the Beetle.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:
ericalm wrote: Modern and modern-ish: an '06 new beetle and a '91 Cabriolet...
A hitch for the Beetle.
Indeed! It's a lease, though so I think drilling into the bottom of the car may cost us more than a truck rental. ;)

I think the way to go is to get a more tow-friendly car when we replace the Cabriolet.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: Indeed! It's a lease, though so I think drilling into the bottom of the car may cost us more than a truck rental. ;)

I think the way to go is to get a more tow-friendly car when we replace the Cabriolet.
Yeah, the hitch -and car- is probably better suited for a bike rack than towing scooters over the long haul. I certainly can't imagine towing something with my MINI, hitch or no!

Clearly you need a big duelie truck with a ramp so that you can just ride the scooters straight into the bed! :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Now that we have our replacement Buddy (thanks, Mike!), we've made our reservations and are psyched about going.

Anyone bringing Buddys — let's think about a Buddy (and pals) meetup and ride!
amyodis

Post by amyodis »

Bret and I are thinking about coming to Vegas, but were planning on just bringing our Vespa Rally. We were going to use Bret's truck to transport. We will let you know if we end up bringing my Buddy.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Kathleen and I are both thinking of going.
She will be ridding a Kymco People 150 but I will ride my Buddy 125.
We will use a trailer from Harbor Freight – still need to put it together it came with two right side rails and its taken 8 weeks, next Tuesday, to get the correct parts.
It says to make reservations by Nov 20 - I don’t think that a big deal.

Also the main thing:

Does anyone know what the weather will be like ??? I know it’s a desert and all but here in this desert its very cold during that time of the year.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:It says to make reservations by Nov 20 - I don’t think that a big deal.

Does anyone know what the weather will be like ??? I know it’s a desert and all but here in this desert its very cold during that time of the year.
Average high of 63, low of 41 for February. A little brisk.
The reason for making reservations by 11/20 was to get a discounted room rate for the event. I doubt the Gold Coast will be at 100% capacity but had heard the block set aside for the rally was filling up. Add in any other stragglers and you may not be able to get your choice of room if you wait too long.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Mike @ NoHo Scooters
Dealer

You need to bring some cold weather gear for the rally. Some years it not that bad, but two years ago I was riding in the rain. Be prepared!

If you show up on Thursday, be sure to come on the Pinball Hall Of Fame ride. I am the organiser of this ride. There are over 200 pinball machines from the 1950s thru current games and yes they can be played. Bring some quarters. For those who do not know im into old pinball machines.

Also the NoHo Scooters Scooterist Poker Game is on Friday. Its a friendly game of $2/$4 Texas Hold Em.
Mike Frankovich
NoHo Scooters
North Hollywood, CA
www.nohoscooters.com

www.youtube.com/nohomike