It Died AGAIN!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Keys

It Died AGAIN!!

Post by Keys »

So here I was, minding my own business, riding to work to pick up my paycheck. I was doing about 45 mph and all of a sudden...nothing. Just like before. It was as if I'd hit the kill switch or turned off the key. I suspect the stator issue that just got fixed occured again. Perhaps it's time to assume that it's not just part failure, but perhaps a grounded out wire somewhere that's causing the stator failure. Ya think?

Again. No Buddy.

--Keys :x
"Life without music would Bb"
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Man that sucks Keys.

I hope they get it fixed for you a whole lot quicker and easier this time.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
castleton

Post by castleton »

Keys--I have been following your story from the start--you are one long-suffering Buddy owner. Does your state have lemon laws (that apply to scooters)??? I'm thinking your electrical system has serious issues.

Hang in there--we feel your pain!
:cry:
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Keys wrote: I suspect the stator issue that just got fixed occurred again. Perhaps it's time to assume that it's not just part failure, but perhaps a grounded out wire somewhere that's causing the stator failure. Ya think?
It's that or a batch of bad stators.

Assuming it's *not* a batch of bad stators...

You're probably on the right track with the grounded wire, but it may not be a wire, it may be some electrical part that's grounded and putting a hella big current draw on the stator. What does that tell you? If this is the case... if... then the grounded wire or part or whatever must be located on the stator side of the fuses or it would blow a fuse before it kills your stator. Get it? So, now what you need is to go over the electrics from the stator outbound to the fuses. SOMEWHERE in that path, and it may not be in an obvious place, but SOMEWHERE in that path, there is going to be a point where something makes contact ( probably intermittently). Where it makes contact, it's drawing a lot of power, and POWER = HEAT. Therefore, what you are looking for is a point where something looks burned. Find that point. Note, these "hot spots" can be hard to find. I found one once inside a plastic connector. How did I finally happen to find it? Because the bloody connector melted! So be patient, pull it all apart and go over it all with a fine tooth comb.
Keys

Post by Keys »

It's actually going back to the dealer for work (or mechanic). I'd check it out myself, but Genuine was making noises last time that maybe they wouldn't honor the warranty if I took anything apart myself. Doesn't matter that I have over 25 years experience as a motorcycle wrench...I am not authorized by Genuine. Therefore it goes to one of theirs...I won't even touch it.

--Keys
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Good idea, Keys. If the "factory certified" mechanics can't sort it out, they should give you a new one.

Sorry you've had trouble with your scoot, but there's a bright side: It wasn't me. :roll:

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Keys, I do hope you'll keep us updated on how Genuine handles this. I for one will be watching this space intently, hoping they do the right thing for you and, by extension, all of us. I rely on my scooter for daily transportation and expect it to perform reliably. If I get a bad feeling because of the way Genuine handles this issue, I will almost certainly sell my Buddy before its warranty is up and then buy a scooter I can rely on. I don't want to do this, but I also cannot afford to take a financial bath on a second scooter. I bought the Buddy 125 because I felt it was the best scooter in its class (125-150cc) and because Genuine and PGO have reasonably good reputations. I really hope they don't prove me wrong.

Good luck. Hope you're riding again soon!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
brat

Post by brat »

Keys, I might be looking in the lemon law. I think it is 3 major break downs (repairs), they MUST replace it with a new bike.

Susan
Keys

Post by Keys »

To be honest, when it's running, I think this is the best scooter I've ever owned. I love riding it. I simply want it to run, and like some of you others out there, I rely on it for my primary transportation. This is why I get so upset when it breaks.

I too am quite interested in seeing how Genuine handles this. Shelby left several messages with them yesterday (Friday) but received no replies. I suspect it will have to go to Tucson to Scoot Over this time.

As for the lemon law, it is my suspicion that since this is the same part failure, it may be considered a single incident. Nothing else has failed.

A little technical insight; since it is the pulse coil on the stator that has failed both times and pulse coils are not generally known for failure, I suspect a voltage peak somewhere...caused, more than likely by a bad ground to either a circuit or a component. Since it is the stator failing and not the fuse blowing, as stated by someone else, that tells me the problem is between the stator and the fuse...could even be in the stator wiring itself, but since the same thing has happened twice, that is unlikely. I'll keep everyone updated on both the technical aspects as well as the customer service aspects of my issue.

Thanks for your input and concern, one and all...after all, this thing has to get me to Baton Rouge and back in May!

--Keys 8)
brat

Post by brat »

Keys, I might be looking in the lemon law. I think it is 3 major break downs (repairs), they MUST replace it with a new bike.

Susan
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Keys wrote:Thanks for your input and concern, one and all...after all, this thing has to get me to Baton Rouge and back in May!
Wow, that really blows that you're having so many issues with this scoot. Perhaps yours has the "optional" Lucas electrics system, and it's run out of smoke? :wink:

Since the scoot is a repeat offender, any chance of getting a loaner while it goes back into the shop? Perhaps mention that without a bit of regular scooting your mental health with deteriorate?

Anyway, good luck with this debacle! If you were closer and it was usable, I'd let you borrow the Chetak...
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

The Lemon Law in CA states if you bring the new vehicle in for the same repair (and it effects the drivability) four or more times, and the issue is still not fixed, or they can't "find" the problem, it's a lemon. This happened to me with a VW a couple years back...I got a new one.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Ah yes, Joseph P. Lucas, the Father of Magical Darkness. I know him well, having owned both a Norton and a BSA.

As for mental health deterioration...you have to HAVE something for it to deteriorate...I think....

I'm thinkin' maybe I shoulda kept my Chetak.

Finally, maybe I should check into the lemon law as it's applied (or not) in Arizona.

--Keys 8)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Keys wrote: I'm thinkin' maybe I shoulda kept my Chetak.
I don't know, it's not like the Chetaks were without their problems- mine is still in need of the clutch repair. I think that overall the Buddy is a better scoot, it just seems like yours has some weird issue that needs to be worked out. And unfortunately, electrical gremlins are the worst to track down! :(
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Keys,

I am reminded of the woes I used to have with my Fiat X1/9. Famous for bad electrical and other wierd problems.

Once I found the right mechanic who knew how to find and fix what was really wrong, it became one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

lobsterman wrote:Keys,

I am reminded of the woes I used to have with my Fiat X1/9. Famous for bad electrical and other wierd problems.

Once I found the right mechanic who knew how to find and fix what was really wrong, it became one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned.
My Fiat Spider was the same way. Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It had been properly sorted by the previous owner.

The thing about Fiats is that most of their electrical issues are due to bad ground issues. Just one of those things.
- Bryce
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

Had a '76 128 spyder, what a blast. It had an experimental electrical harness which caught on fire. When FIAT repaired it, the dealer just spliced on new wire where needed. They didn't keep any of the color codes. By the time I owned it, the electrical system was so bad I just bought a new harness and rewired it. Once done, it was a great runner. That perky 1.8 dohc just purred away...

Aside from the bad wireing, the other problem was that the ground was bad and the clutch cable would act as the ground conductor. The cable would get hot and the little ball of pot metal which held the cable to the clutch pedal would fall off. Got real good at replacing them as well as shifting without a clutch.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Genuine got back to Shelby at Scoot Over today, and just like I suspected, they will require the scooter go to Tucson for this repair...some 250 miles away. Wade from the Flying Dorffini, who worked on it in Flagstaff has agreed to throw it in his pickup and take it down there this weekend since he's going down anyway for the Tucson/Nogales Fall Classic rally. Great guy! Says I owe him beer.

Anyway, Genuine says they have all parts on hand that might be needed, but they'd like an authorized Genuine mechanic look at it. As things progress, I'll pass on the info...

--Keys 8)
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

Best of luck with the repair. Hope it sticks this time. I sure hate to hear about electrical issues as they are a beast to locate and fix.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes with Genuine over needed parts and or scoot replacement.
shovde

Post by shovde »

I hope you get your scooter fixed very soon. I used to live in Scottsdale and I miss reading your blog and viewing the photos. I've also vacationed in Sedona many times, so it brings back fond memories.

Shane
Keys

Post by Keys »

Shane, I promise that as soon as I have something to post, I will update my blog. Nice to know someone reads it! I have a trip up Oak Creek Canyon planned for the colder weather. One of my fellow Scarabs from Phx...a lady called Ruckuschick; just bought a People 250s this week and hopes to come up and sail through the canyon with me.

I'm even thinking of taking a trip on my wife's Helix tomorrow to catch the golden leaves up there. If I do, I'll be sure to post the story and pics.

C-ya...ride on!
--Keys
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Keys wrote:Shane, I promise that as soon as I have something to post, I will update my blog. Nice to know someone reads it! I have a trip up Oak Creek Canyon planned for the colder weather. One of my fellow Scarabs from Phx...a lady called Ruckuschick; just bought a People 250s this week and hopes to come up and sail through the canyon with me.

I'm even thinking of taking a trip on my wife's Helix tomorrow to catch the golden leaves up there. If I do, I'll be sure to post the story and pics.

C-ya...ride on!
--Keys
Oooooh a blog! and the URL / RSS URL is ? cmon now share!
Keys

Post by Keys »

The site is; www.skutergruven.blogspot.com I have a fairly long list of archives, too...and ALL about scooting!! It starts out with me on my Bajaj then my decision making process before getting the Buddy and stories of numerous rides and rallies, including pics. Enjoy!

--Keys 8)
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Keys wrote:The site is; www.skutergruven.blogspot.com I have a fairly long list of archives, too...and ALL about scooting!! It starts out with me on my Bajaj then my decision making process before getting the Buddy and stories of numerous rides and rallies, including pics. Enjoy!

--Keys 8)
No RSS ?
shovde

Post by shovde »

It's on blogspot, so it has RSS/Atom by default. Just put the url in your favorite reader. I prefer google reader. You can also use the
http://skutergruven.blogspot.com/atom.xml address.

Also check out: http://vespalx150.blogspot.com . One of my favorites.

Shane

http://www.google.com/reader
Last edited by shovde on Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Shoot, Dru_...I don't even know what a RSS is...!!! I have admitted freely many times that I am a techno-moron.

--Keys :?