Do you stand up over bumps?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sotied

Do you stand up over bumps?

Post by sotied »

I've gotten into a little habit - when riding slowly on quiet roads - of 'posting' when going over bumps in the road.

I do this mostly when on dirt roads near my house or really bumpy sections of road that don't offer a clear, smooth path but are short enough not to have me standing for any length of time.

'Posting' is the bouncing up in the stirrups that horseback riders do.

Anyone else do this?
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

yes. i do it on my scooter and on my bicycle. i don't like the feeling of going over bumps sitting on my bee-hind. :)
Rosie

Post by Rosie »

I do, too. Over bumps and railroad tracks.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

Indeed I do. Unless I am going a bit too fast on a long and lonesome highway, East of Omaha and I don't see the bump in time.
brape

Post by brape »

i am still trying to get comfortable doing this on the scooter, i do it on my bicycle all the time.

Interesting definition of posting by the way :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I do it, usually more than I really need to for a little fun. When I really need to do it is when I have a passenger—and that's when I can't.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TonyF

Post by TonyF »

Definitely. On scooters, horses, and bicycles.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Just started, ever since my surgery my tender bits are literally so "TENDER" every bump is like a kick in the sack :cry:
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

ScooterTrash wrote:Just started, ever since my surgery my tender bits are literally so "TENDER" every bump is like a kick in the sack :cry:
The big V word? I dunno, that's the only thing I could think of here. If it is the big V word, then I can completely understand. It took awhile after I had that surgery to do many things normal again!
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Inguinal Hernia, creates swelling and bruising in said area :?
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

LALALALALALALALALALALA

i can't hear you.

LALALALALALALALALALALA

:lol: :lol: :P
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
hackett

Post by hackett »

Have you taken the MSF course? It was one of the things you have to practice towards the end of the riding portion. They put obstacles on the course (2x4s in ours) that you have to ride over, standing so your knees absorb the impact instead of getting bucked.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
Jake

Post by Jake »

Yup. I got used to it on my rocket before I even took the MSF course. Bike+railroad= :shock: ouch.
Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin »

Rosie wrote:I do, too. Over bumps and railroad tracks.
Yep
Scooting is ZEN....
luckyleighton

Post by luckyleighton »

Depends on how bad it is...I usually do not. But if there is a big bump coming you almost have to.
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Having almost no scooter time I find it uncomfortable not to have the machine between my legs to clamp down onto under certain conditions. Or the solid feel of pegs to rest my boots down on for the inevitable rise from the seat...
---------
OT slightly:

Caro Diario (1993)

I watched some of this film and there is a part where the guy dances the scooter back and fourth with no hands. I think he has been riding for a little while ... either that or it was smoke and mirrors.

It was a inexpensive way for me to escape to Italy for the 1/2 hour of so that I watched it.
-----
BigColdMartini

Post by BigColdMartini »

Yes I do. I come up out of the seat a few inches and bend my knees to absorb the shock better. Of course there are always the ones you can't see in time and you just have to hold on tight and take the shock.
sotied

Post by sotied »

BigColdMartini wrote:Yes I do. I come up out of the seat a few inches and bend my knees to absorb the shock better. Of course there are always the ones you can't see in time and you just have to hold on tight and take the shock.
OMG...

First week of riding I was traveling through downtown Boston and crossed an intersection into the theater district. The shadows from the buildings made the road seem flat, so I didn't even see the semi-pothole (it was more like a smooth divot in the pavement - no breakage of the surface but certainly a cupped area of the road...cratered almost).

SO, I slammed into that and reflexively grabbed handfuls of brake (as I was covering the brakes going through the intersection) and when the front wheel came back to Earth I chirped the tire so loudly I scared myself.

Was able to ease off the brakes immediately so there was only that chirp and no real skid, but now I am a much more careful surface scanner.
Jeff • #2163
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I do it on certain bumps too. A lot of our speedbumps down here are the kind where they are split in the middle so, more often than not, I can aim for the center and not even deal with the bump.

Another tip from most DMV manuals is to give just a touch of throttle right as you are about to go over the bump. This transfers weight from the front to the back which obviously makes it easier to go over the bump/obstacle.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I do on larger bumps, but I will give a word of warning to all the gents of MB, particularly the ones who wear boxers: Make sure you stand up high enough.

There have been several times when my scooter performed the dreaded 'sacktap' when I was not standing up quite high enough...

'Sacktapular' (think 'spectacular', but incorporate a 'sacktap') is not a word that you want to use in response to something that has happened to you. Ever. :(
Huh? What just happened?
betsy q. bramble

Re: Do you stand up over bumps?

Post by betsy q. bramble »

sotied wrote:I've gotten into a little habit - when riding slowly on quiet roads - of 'posting' when going over bumps in the road.

I do this mostly when on dirt roads near my house or really bumpy sections of road that don't offer a clear, smooth path but are short enough not to have me standing for any length of time.

Anyone else do this?
sotied, I stood up in my CAR on that dirt road by your house!
gymnation

Post by gymnation »

I stand for the National Anthem, and for the bumpety bumps. Cutting carbs has made me rear-end deficient!
Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Instead of standing up... i lay down on my stomach on the seat hands on the handle bars and legs and feet out the back... like superman... that way I can FLY over the bump :shock:
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

That would certainly keep your big helmet out of the airstream. :lol:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

exactly! at least SOMEONE undertands me! :lol:
sotied

Post by sotied »

betsy q. bramble wrote:
sotied wrote:I've gotten into a little habit - when riding slowly on quiet roads - of 'posting' when going over bumps in the road.

Anyone else do this?
sotied, I stood up in my CAR on that dirt road by your house!
C'mon. It's not that bad. I regularly scoot up that road...but you have to know where that flat spots are.

I should have pointed you to the paved exit from the neighborhood, but you said you knew the area.

:-)
Jeff • #2163
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

luckyleighton wrote:Depends on how bad it is...I usually do not. But if there is a big bump coming you almost have to.
I have ridden with folks who stand so often it finally gets ridiculous watching them. :?
betsy q. bramble

sotied wrote: C'mon. It's not that bad. I regularly scoot up that road...but you have to know where that flat spots are.

I should have pointed you to the paved exit from the neighborhood, but you said you knew the area.

:-)
I keed, I keed...the image of me standing up in the car to go over some little bumps just make me laugh.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MikieTaps wrote:Instead of standing up... i lay down on my stomach on the seat hands on the handle bars and legs and feet out the back... like superman... that way I can FLY over the bump :shock:
Just like Rollie Free. He set the land speed record in 1948 (150mph) riding a Vincent Black Shadow like that.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

:shock:

He is pretty much naked too...

That is how I usually ride... laying on my stomach and naked...

I wonder if I am related to that guy... hmmmm :wink:
sotied

Post by sotied »

I'd worry about getting my feet caught in the rear rack and then not being able to dismount and then having to drive around until the scoot ran out of gas...hopefully on a soft hillside and not a spike-littered pit of despair.
Jeff • #2163
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

lifted off the genuine home site: Mouse over message says its Jeff
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Anyone else do this?
It's harder to do on a scooter than on a MC, where the footpegs are set further back, making it easier to stand on them....

I find that my AirVent seat pad works wonders over most bumps inna road! :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Xena

Post by Xena »

I have 5 speedbumps to cross over when I get to work and I like to stand up to go over them :)
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

Where do you all place your feet when you travel over rough and bumpy roads? Not having the experience I have this concern that the feet could easily slip off the floor board. How about when it rains - is it more slipperier?
sotied

Post by sotied »

kazoo wrote:Where do you all place your feet when you travel over rough and bumpy roads? Not having the experience I have this concern that the feet could easily slip off the floor board. How about when it rains - is it more slipperier?
You ride in the rain??!!
betsy q. bramble

Xena wrote:I have 5 speedbumps to cross over when I get to work and I like to stand up to go over them :)
i love my ability to squeeze between the end of the speed bumps and the curb. HUZZAH!

me: 100000000000000000
speedbumps: 0
runtotorun121

Post by runtotorun121 »

Yes, I am coordination-challenged, but how are you all standing up? My husband had mentioned the lifting-of-the-behind on bumps and such and I know how to do that on a horse, bicycle, and on a MC with foot pegs but when I am sitting on my scooter my legs are in front of me like I am sitting on a chair. I am trying to figure out how I have the (not 'traction', not 'dynamics', . . .oh what is that word??? I am having anomia. . .) ______ to lift or stand from that position while my arms are stretched out in front of me with my hands on the throttle and brake levers.

I can't even feel the ability to somehow lift or stand up because I have no LEVERAGE! Oh, yeah! That is the word! How do you get the leverage to lift up?
~Celebrate~
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

kazoo wrote:Where do you all place your feet when you travel over rough and bumpy roads? Not having the experience I have this concern that the feet could easily slip off the floor board. How about when it rains - is it more slipperier?
I don't really travel on any seriously bumpy roads, but keeping it from being slippery goes with the whole "find some good boots with non-slip soles" advice.

I have newer Doc Martens (the ones made in China, so nothing special) and they have really excellent non-slip soles. Plus the Buddy's floorboard has traction bumps so it's not really an issue.
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

I rarely have my feet in the classic scooter position, if there is one. I wear size 14 shoes, so it's a bit cramped to have them on the floorboard. My feet tend to hang off the side of the scoot with my heels on the upper portion of the floorboard right underneath the "glovebox". I then scoot myself (my rear getting scooted, not the scooter scooting in a scootering fashion) back so I get a bit more leg room.

I found this works out best for me for both long and short distances, rain or shine! :wink:
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

sotied wrote: You ride in the rain??!!
I only have riding experience in the north east, so yes, some rain. I prefer to keep it that way too.
esk

Post by esk »

runtotorun121 wrote:I am trying to figure out how I have the (not 'traction', not 'dynamics', . . .oh what is that word??? I am having anomia. . .) ______ to lift or stand from that position while my arms are stretched out in front of me with my hands on the throttle and brake levers.
hmm, i never really thought about it - i just do it! i don't stand all the way up nor do i "hold the pose" for more than a second. i just shift my weight a little bit forward, lift my butt up an inch or two, and then drop back down.

maybe it would help to practice some <a href="http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/493">yoga</a>? ;)
sotied

Post by sotied »

kazoo wrote:
sotied wrote: You ride in the rain??!!
I only have riding experience in the north east, so yes, some rain. I prefer to keep it that way too.
Northeast?

Where are you?

Let's scoot!

Jeff
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

runtotorun121 wrote:I am trying to figure out how I have the (not 'traction', not 'dynamics', . . .oh what is that word??? I am having anomia. . .) ______ to lift or stand from that position while my arms are stretched out in front of me with my hands on the throttle and brake levers.
Do you ride with your feet in front of you or to the back with the passenger footrests? If your feet are in front, it's pretty easy to lean forward a bit and raise your back end, shifting your weight to your feet for a moment. You don't lean on the handlebars this way (that would be bad).
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

jmazza wrote:Another tip from most DMV manuals is to give just a touch of throttle right as you are about to go over the bump. This transfers weight from the front to the back which obviously makes it easier to go over the bump/obstacle.
YES, and the extra touch of throttle also allows you to make it over the debris as well. Just remember to not give throttle once you are hitting/going over the debris because that could cause said debris to fling/fly/shoot back at the poor soul behind you.
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

scoots4me wrote:
jmazza wrote:Another tip from most DMV manuals is to give just a touch of throttle right as you are about to go over the bump. This transfers weight from the front to the back which obviously makes it easier to go over the bump/obstacle.
YES, and the extra touch of throttle also allows you to make it over the debris as well. Just remember to not give throttle once you are hitting/going over the debris because that could cause said debris to fling/fly/shoot back at the poor soul behind you.

and why would that be bad? :twisted:

This whole topic is most of the reason I use the passenger footrest for my feet when I am riding solo. I feel like I am on a waverunner. I can handle pretty gnarly bumps and it just kinda floats under me.