When to do 1st oil change?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ruthjenkins

When to do 1st oil change?

Post by ruthjenkins »

I'm at 268 miles and haven't changed my oil yet. The dealer said 300 but I think the manual is written in km and that converts to 180 miles...when have you guys been doing the first oil change???
LDB

Post by LDB »

I don't have a Buddy because I bought a Vino125 a few weeks before learning about the Buddy. Had I known I'd have waited but that's a different thread. Anyway, for any new engine, my first change is 50-75 miles. I think most of the initial wear has happened by then and it gets the metal particles out. It may be overkill but I know it doesn't hurt anything.
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
ruthjenkins

self oil changer?

Post by ruthjenkins »

do you change the oil yourself or do you take it in? i will be taking it in for its first oil change and all future ones...
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

I'm following the owners manual, and changing at 300km, just to be on the safe side. Will get to it this weekend; maybe if I have time will shoot photos and post.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

LDB wrote:I don't have a Buddy because I bought a Vino125 a few weeks before learning about the Buddy. Had I known I'd have waited but that's a different thread. Anyway, for any new engine, my first change is 50-75 miles. I think most of the initial wear has happened by then and it gets the metal particles out. It may be overkill but I know it doesn't hurt anything.

It's not about wear; it's about machining crud that the manufacturer left in there.
LDB

Post by LDB »

That's what I meant when I said getting the metal particles out. I don't do my own service. I leave that to the (hopefully) professionals.
ellen

Post by ellen »

I changed the oil at 86 miles. Not only did I see the usual metal flakes. But there were a few small pieces of thread about 1 inch long! 3 where floating and one was tangled up in the drain spring :wtf: . I have no clue what that was from.
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I was wondering about this too because one of the guys in the shop at my dealer also told me 300 miles. I said to him I thought it was km and he told me it didnt make a difference. I dont want to void my warranty before it even starts. I think I might do what the book says. I wish it was more though so I had time to get used to the idea of driving it down to Miami. After the first service I am finding a mechanic in my area.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

The manual says 300km. The sticker on the back of the headset says 500km. I changed motor and gear oil at 300km just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't wait any longer than 500km, lest you risk voiding warranty. 500km=310miles.
LDB

Post by LDB »

Blackeyes24 wrote:After the first service I am finding a mechanic in my area.
You aren't required to go to the dealer for any of your services. As long as you have receipts showing the service was done OR receipts showing you bought the appropriate materials to do the service yourself at appropriate intervals you are fine. There is lots of talk about "voiding warranties" and it just doesn't happen except in very rare circumstances and then it isn't the entire warranty it's only a small part of it. That's the law in the U.S. and you can look up the Magnusson Moss Act if you want to know more.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

LDB wrote:
Blackeyes24 wrote:After the first service I am finding a mechanic in my area.
There is lots of talk about "voiding warranties" and it just doesn't happen except in very rare circumstances and then it isn't the entire warranty it's only a small part of it.
The key is to adhere to the schedule, and have receipts of proof of the work/parts.