sticker on mud flap??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ringdoc

sticker on mud flap??

Post by ringdoc »

on my pamplona 150, on the mud flap, there is a white round sticker with a black E on it. what it mean, in small print at the bottom it says genuine scooter co
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Espana? with a tilde on the n.
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

it's to indicate the country of origin as being ecuador. it is fake. in europe they do that on cars in a real way and the craze has caught on in the united states. similar notioned stickers on cars you may have seen include OBX (outer banks), WP (walden pond) WSP (widespread panic), BOB (baby on board), yada yada yada (yyy? i have no idea)
Apiarist

Post by Apiarist »

Espana, yeah, that makes more sense. doh
rickko

Post by rickko »

Apiarist wrote:Espana, yeah, that makes more sense. doh
Especially since the city of Pamplona is in España. :D

..rickko..

Image[/img]
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
ringdoc

Post by ringdoc »

thanks you, I think I will agree with that answer. I wonder if the itialia has the same sticker with an I on it??
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

yeah, '08 Italias have "I", Pamplonas have "E" and Saint Tropez has "S" (I think they stand for Italy and Spain.)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, the St. Tropez would appear to have the expected "F".
Attachments
St. Tropez (Small).jpg
St. Tropez (Small).jpg (65.45 KiB) Viewed 967 times
naptime

Post by naptime »

yup.

e on the pamplonas for espana

i on the italia's for italy

and

f on the st.tropaz for france.

they are the "internationals" so they put the stickers on thier for the country of "origin"

i really hate it when i see the country stickers on cars all the time...

but i thought it was a nice little touch on the scoot.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

naptime wrote:they are the "internationals" so they put the stickers on thier for the country of "origin"

i really hate it when i see the country stickers on cars all the time...

but i thought it was a nice little touch on the scoot.
If we made ModernBuddy "ROC" (Republic of China aka Taiwan) stickers would anyone put those on your scoots?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I bought ROC flag stickers for the Blur but I haven't put them on yet. I think trying to pretend a taiwanese scooter is european is a little silly, but Genuine pulled it off admirably, I guess.

The oval stickers don't really indicate country of origin, they indicate the country where the car is registered They were required back in the day to travel between nations in Europe, but I think they've been replaced by standardized EU license plates these days.

According to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_in ... late_codes
Taiwan is "RC." Which would just make people think you're in to Royal Crown Cola, or remote control cars. Plus I, too, am really sick of faux-tourist destination/suburb ovals. t I agree they are a cute touch for the international buddies. (looks good on YOU, though!)
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
sotied

Post by sotied »

I'm gonna order an ATGATT in an oval.

Or a w00t!

:D
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Here's where you & I totally disagree, illnoise. I LOVE the culture clash that comes from an American riding a European styled Asian scooter. I think it's hilarious and maybe even slightly thought-provoking. *WHAT* global economy?! :wink:
ModBud #442
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

What about a "WOT"?

Or a "80+"? (though someone might think that's the rider's age, :lol:)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

greencountry wrote:What about a "WOT"?

Only 80? Have you checked your tire pressure lately?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

ericalm wrote:

Yeah, I'm working on a better estimate. The wife forgot to record her last gas purchase, and before that the pressure was ridiculously low, like 10psi front and 15 rear, so that tank only got 73mpg (I inflated the tires about 1/4 way through that tank of gas).

So, I guess I'd get an "80+" for now and then modify it once I figure out my real average mileage. (I'm too honest, what can I say? :) )
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i was thinking of trying to get a new patch for my corazzo jacket... same shape but with taiwan colors and flag design on the inside :D
sotied

Post by sotied »

MikieTaps wrote:i was thinking of trying to get a new patch for my corazzo jacket... same shape but with taiwan colors and flag design on the inside :D
With the phrase underneath saying....

"Please make aware of oversize riding"

:D
rickko

Post by rickko »

illnoise wrote:... I think they've been replaced by standardized EU license plates these days.

...I agree they are a cute touch on the international Buddy's
The stickers really haven't been replaced but look different. Now they have the EU blue flag on the left of the country identifier and the country flag to the right. The plates are more standardized but do differ enough to indicate the country of registration.

I believe only England, though a part of the EU, has rejected using the Euro, changing plates and a variety of other insignificant things.

I too like those little stickers on the '08 International Buddys. My '07 didn't come with one so I've asked my friend in Italy to send me 'real' one.

I've also asked my local dealership to order me a Buddy 'I' sticker but like every other stock part for the Buddy, it takes forever to get it.

..rickko..
MB member #2568
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Actually, a patch of SITR's avatar (the manual image of the dog getting burnt by the pipe and 'engrish') would be cool. Would anyone buy those if I made 'em?

Bb.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

illnoise wrote:
The oval stickers don't really indicate country of origin, they indicate the country where the car is registered They were required back in the day to travel between nations in Europe, but I think they've been replaced by standardized EU license plates these days.
Not quite. Indeed in Europe many people has been using those stickers on their vehicle displaying which country they are from:
E = Spain, F = France, GB = Great Britain, CH = Switzerland, etc).
The initials are in the country''s language, thus E is ESPA~NA, CH is Confederation Helvetique and so on.

There was no requirement to have the skticker on your vehicle. The plates for each country were completely different so it was easy to tell where they were from anyway.

Nowadays all EU member countries have the same plate style, but under the EU flag (the blue bar on the right of the plate with the circle of stars) there are those same letters depending at which country you car is registered. Otherways now all the plates would pretty much look the same.
Attachments
New style Great Britan plate
New style Great Britan plate
gb_new.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Old style Great Britan plate.
Old style Great Britan plate.
gb_old.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

I was always intrigued that Euro license plates don't have annual registration stickers. Wonder if they pay an annual registration fee like we do in (most? all?) of the states here.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

And the plates stay with the cars...when my friend sold her crappy ol' Renault "Nif-Nif" (the plates were NIF and some numbers), I would see the car all over Cork and think to myself "Man, Nif-Nif is still running...how is that possible?"
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Brits actually buy their plates from sign shops rather than them being issued by the government, right? I bought some custom-made retro British front fender plates a few years ago from a guy that had hundreds of designs (sublimated homer simpsons and football crests and such), and they were theoretically street-legal, though the numbers weren't real. He told me he couldn't sell them to me in the UK unless I had my registration, but since I was in the US, i could get whatever I wanted put on them. Maybe that changed with the EU, too?
rickko

Post by rickko »

Since we are on the topic of International plates and stickers. Here is an example of a classic Italian plate from the '50s.

MB member #2568
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

We have a couple of vintage curved plates that go on the front fender. I think they're from the UK. Of course I don't remember were I got 'em. I used to have them on the old scoots taht we sold, but we haven't installed them on our new old scoots. Something to be said for homeownership...there's less time to muck about with the two-wheels.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:

I took this exchange as 80+ mph, then thought 90+ mph was possible with different air pressure and a higher threshold of insanity... Guess the "WOT" set the mood for that translation.

How 'bout (80+WOT)? :shock:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.