Passenger Riding

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hermitgirl

Passenger Riding

Post by hermitgirl »

I've had a passenger ONCE when I took my landlords daughter for a quick turn around the block. Tomorrow however, I have plans to pick up a friend before going out to get something to eat and then heading back. He's 5'8'' ish, and since I have no ability to judge a guys weight in pounds, I'm not even going to try. Average weight, I'd say.

Anyroad, what should I try to adjust with a passenger (aside from slowing down earlier and slower speeds), and what should THEY do? I'm going to tell him not to lean if he feels like it, because I think that might throw me off, and we'd end up laying the bike down. I also plan to tell him to keep his feet up at all times, since I know I can handle the weight at stops.

Suggestions? Comments? San Carlos St. is a bumpy road...
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I dont recommend it. I tried riding the buddy with my spouse on the back who out weighs me (but is average male weight)and it wasnt easy. I had a hard time holding the bike up at stops and driving was ackward and heavy. try it on a slow street or parking lot first
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

You're off to a good start with him keeping his feet up. Also, have him wear clothing that's as protective as possible. If he's 5'8" and looks "normal" he's probably around 150 pounds, unless he's heavily muscled or has a huge gut. I've only had an adult passenger on my Buddy once and it was quite an adventure. Short wheelbase, steep rake and small seat make the Buddy a little skittish in slow turns. Once you gain speed, it's pretty stable though. If he's ridden before, consider the following:

1. Increase pressure in tires a couple of pounds each
2. When you mount up, it's driver first, passenger 2nd. Passenger off first when you stop.
3. Tell him to enjoy the ride and stay relaxed. He can be completely passive, like a sack of potatoes.
4. Warn him about leaning. If he hasn't ridden before, warn him not to counter-lean. One of the best bits of advice is to tell him to just look over your shoulder in the direction of any turns you're taking.
5. Take it easy.
6. Make sure he understands the muffler is hot!

If he's never ridden before, take it extra easy. Being a passenger on a scooter or bike can be a hair-raising experience. Have fun and try to avoid the bumps!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Fueldrum

braking

Post by Fueldrum »

Give yourself alot more time and room to brake, make sure they don't try to lean against you in turns.
--Nick
vitaminC

Re: Passenger Riding

Post by vitaminC »

hermitgirl wrote: Suggestions? Comments? San Carlos St. is a bumpy road...
After one ride he'll probably want a Buddy for himself! 8)

GT1000 pretty much nailed everything. Other than the tire pressure, there's really nothing to change on the bike itself, so all the adjustments you need to make are in your riding style.

Might not be the best time for lane splitting (unless you really want to get him hooked on two-wheel travel :twisted: ).
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

I really wouldn't recommend it. The Buddy isn't as good for carrying a passenger. I'm also guessing that your friend is bigger and heavier than you. Typically, it's more accepted to have the heavier person piloting the bike.
- Bryce
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I am no expert, and have zero personal experience here, other than as a passenger. But here's what they taught us in MSF, and confirmed when I was a passenger on a Buddy myself.

Do NOT tell them not to lean with you. The passenger should lean when you lean, the same direction as you. Not more or less, just stay with what you do.

The passenger needs every bit as much protection as you. They are just as vulnerable as you and have even less control over their destiny than you.

I wouldn't try anything more threatening than a parking lot the first time around.

Go to the scooter tips booklet online (http://msf-usa.org/downloads/Scooter_tips-screen.pdf), and read the section on passengers.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
schroncc

Post by schroncc »

From personal experience riding with a passenger is not that bad. I take my girlfriend around alot. Shes 5 foot and small Im 5'10" and around 150. I have no problem. She has also drove me places and has not had a problem with it, just alittle more work for her. One thing I can tell you to watch out for is the leaning. I took my one friend for a ride and he leaned away from me, even though I told him not to. I guess some people just are not as comfortable on a bike. This made us almost crash into a crub because to two leans crossed each other out and we went strait. Good luck
brat

Post by brat »

I have rode with a passager many times on the Buddy. All of them smaller than me in weight.

Biggest issues....You may feel crowded and your passagener might feel like they don't get much seat. This depends on how you like to sit on the buddy and how long your legs are.
Next are pretty standard stuff for two wheeled riding... Give yourself a ton of extra stopping time, a lot more than you may think. Tell you passenager where to put their feet, tell them how to move and not move... they must relax and move as you do...they can't adjust them self with out telling you or while you are moving.
I have found the buddy with a top case is it is hard to have a passager get on after I did. So I put the bike on its side stand and had the passenager get on first and than I got on and took it off the stand. Same for getting off. You have to be slow and carefull.

Good luck, have fun and try riding around the block first. Than go on your ride.

Susan
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

brat wrote:Biggest issues....You may feel crowded and your passagener might feel like they don't get much seat. This depends on how you like to sit on the buddy and how long your legs are.
Yup, I'm 5'11" but have a relatively short inseam (30") but my normal Buddy riding position is sitting back past the seam on the seat. I could carry a passenger, but either I would be uncomfortable or my pillion would have to be quite tiny. When the mrs. and I ride two up, we take the Vespa and I drive.

Some pointers for your passenger: http://www.hartside.com/pillion.html
germ

Post by germ »

The buddy is not a stable bike for 2 people. It is wobbly and unsafe. I am one with my bike alone but throw in a passenger and I have to work the whole time just to keep the bike up. It is not fun and dangerous. Don't bother.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

I actually have no problems on my buddy with a second rider (granted theyve all ben real small women) but if the weight together isnt too much, and your passenger is smart enough to listen to some basic rules, you should be fine. I'm not saying drive like you normally do, on the contrary, I ride basically like it's raining, stop early, give plenty of advanced notice for turns and take em slow. Just be careful and deffinitely make sure the passenger is protected because yeah, they're just as vulnerable.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
hermitgirl

Post by hermitgirl »

Since it was sunsetty (and would presumably be dark once we were done eating) and given the advice here, we just took his car instead. I'm still eager to try, but I think some simple practice first is in due order.

Thank you guys!
big calm

Post by big calm »

Make sure to adjust your mirrors once your buddy is on the buddy.