Tricky Road Surfaces

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

loodieboy

Tricky Road Surfaces

Post by loodieboy »

As I await delivery of a Buddy 125, I am scoping out my commute route to and from work. I have motorcycle in my past, but nothing on wheels approaching the dimimutive size of the Buddy's.

At one point, I will ride a city block paved with brick, and have several brick sidewalks to cross. How is brick (wet / dry) on a Buddy? For that matter, how is handling on rail crossings and rain-grooved concrete? Any other tricky surfaces (leaving aside the obvious, e.g., sand, gravel, oil)? Thanks.
Clearly.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

The stock tires are actually not bad on the Buddy.
Dry bricks are no problem.... bit bumpy. Bricks are really no more slippery then normal pavement when wet, at least the one brick street by my house doesn't seem to be.
Last edited by 7eregrine on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

brick can be slick when wet, use care.

grooved surfaces are fine-feels weird, but not unsafe

grated bridges fine, but a little unnerving until you are used to them

grease, salt, gravel and sand are your worst enemy by far. I live in an industrial area so often find myself suddenly in the midst of these conditions. I try not to use throttle or brake until I have rolled out if it.

pot holes can be awful too. practice your swerves. I have gone into some horrible ones and lived to tell about it.

I do not think train tracks are an issue at all. cross them at a perpendicular (sp!) angle.

I would not drive unfamiliar routes at night-mostly b/c all of these hazards cannot be seen until it is too late. That's just me though.

It is smart to scope the route out. Prior to riding the Buddy to your work at peak hours, try the route on scooter during non rush hour times ie a Sunday, so you can identify any potential issues -ie lanes you never noticed that take you on to the interstate, dangerous left turns, etc.
sobo_buddy

Post by sobo_buddy »

Also look out for freshly painted cross walks, at least around here they are pretty slick, dry or wet.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

This wouldn't be a Modern Buddy thread if someone didn't pop up to recommend David L. Hough's Proficient Motorcycling books. A must, and they cover your question in much more detail than we can.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

illnoise - thanks for the reference. I put it on hold at the library. Unfortunately, it is listed as "unavailable" which usually means "its done been stole." Anyway, I reserved copies of several similarly listed titles. Thanks for the other responses as well. I gather that road condition hazards are the same for motorcycles and scooters, or is there perhaps something unique to scooters?
Clearly.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

loodieboy wrote:I gather that road condition hazards are the same for motorcycles and scooters, or is there perhaps something unique to scooters?
Generally yes, I'd argue it's best to approach any scooter as being no different than a motorcycle, aside from the shifting/braking controls. Motorcycle skills and safety translate directly to scootering and will be very beneficial to you.

Also, consider the small wheels, they don't really create any additional risks, but they do increase the risks of some road surface-related dangers, especially railroad tracks and potholes.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

on part of my commute there is a couple block stretch that still has ORIGINAL bricks for the roadway, on an uphill... :roll: gotta love Seattle DOT... anyway... If you take it slow its not a big deal. With this stuff being original there are dents and crevases all over the place, and it definately gives the suspension a workout <---- (read we bounce all over the Fing place) I usually make the 4 block detour and go around it... just because i dont want to wear so hard on the suspension.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

And in addition to what illnoise and other said, the small wheel will make you feel everything much more, such as the grated concrete. At first you will feel that the front wheel has gone bonkers, but after a while you get used to it. It is a small wheel and that is how it feels.

Brick, specially the originals, will be pretty slick when wet as erosion most likely has polish them out to a pertty smooth surface. As a test, hit your car brakes on them next time they are wet.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

It is smart to scope the route out. Prior to riding the Buddy to your work at peak hours, try the route on scooter during non rush hour times ie a Sunday, so you can identify any potential issues -ie lanes you never noticed that take you on to the interstate, dangerous left turns, etc.
first off let me say that i am cautious to a fault.

i do my best to scout any routes i will take on a regular basis before i ride them on my scoot. it makes me feel a lot safer to have sort of a head's up on the location of potholes, unprotected left turns, etc. when a big chunk of my route to work got torn up to be repaved, i didn't ride my scoot until the work was done since there was gravel scattered all about, and i was too lazy to come up with an alternate way to get to work. :oops:

which is why ines has become sort of a commuting work horse and i rarely let her have any fun. i need to work on that. :(

the scariest road surface i've ever encountered was a flooded street due to a broken pipe. the road was covered in about an inch or two of water and there wasn't a way for me to get around it. so i just sorta rolled right along without giving throttle or braking, thinking in my head "TRACTION! TRACTION! OH MY GOD, MY TRACTION!" the entire time. thankfully it was only for the length of one long block, but i was really nervous about it the entire time.

i know is riding through wet roads is more dangerous - does it follow that riding through a slightly flooded street is dangerous as well? i wasn't sure about it.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A street in my hometown (Ft. Worth, TX) has a long stretch paved with brick from the old days. Aside from being a more uneven riding surface, it would get very slick when wet, particularly after a dry period. I don't think it dispelled oil as well as modern paving surfaces.

Many of the crashes reported here during the first few months of riding have been due to encountering a surface or condition the rider was not prepared for—dirt, sand, gravel, wet asphalt.
madtolive wrote:i do my best to scout any routes i will take on a regular basis before i ride them on my scoot. it makes me feel a lot safer to have sort of a head's up on the location of potholes, unprotected left turns, etc. when a big chunk of my route to work got torn up to be repaved, i didn't ride my scoot until the work was done since there was gravel scattered all about, and i was too lazy to come up with an alternate way to get to work. :oops:

which is why ines has become sort of a commuting work horse and i rarely let her have any fun. i need to work on that. :(
I practiced my routes during non-peak hours many times before I started commuting. It's a very good idea.

I know what you mean about commuting taking some of the fun out of scootering. In fact, I am trying to make more of an effort to ride recreationally and get out and explore. Hoping to do more group rides.

Still beats caging it!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ringdoc

Post by ringdoc »

The grated up road, from them getting ready to pave. I did not like that, supposedly it is safe to ride on, but it sure feels like the wheel is possessed.
rick in kc
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

madtolive wrote:
i know is riding through wet roads is more dangerous - does it follow that riding through a slightly flooded street is dangerous as well? i wasn't sure about it.
1 or 2 inches of standing water is not a problem. Simply ride a walking pace and you will be fine.

The problem with standing water is that you cannot see what is below the water. There could be a 6 inch deep pothole and you would not see it.
Next time that happens to you, wait for another vehicle to go in front of you and follow one of their tire treads , but give them some distance and watch their wheels. If you see a big splash all of a sudden, you know they just went through a pot hole, move to the other tire tread. If the tires on both sides splash, they went through a trench, then slow down as much as possible and be ready for it. The splash size and how deep the wheels sink will tell you how deep the abyss is.

After that experience, then go home and change pants.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
7eregrine

Post by 7eregrine »

Sound advice from EP. +1
I will not join a racist club that thinks one color is better then another. We are ALL BUDDY'S!
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

EP_scoot wrote:
madtolive wrote:
1 or 2 inches of standing water is not a problem. Simply ride a walking pace and you will be fine.

The problem with standing water is that you cannot see what is below the water. There could be a 6 inch deep pothole and you would not see it.
Next time that happens to you, wait for another vehicle to go in front of you and follow one of their tire treads , but give them some distance and watch their wheels. If you see a big splash all of a sudden, you know they just went through a pot hole, move to the other tire tread. If the tires on both sides splash, they went through a trench, then slow down as much as possible and be ready for it. The splash size and how deep the wheels sink will tell you how deep the abyss is.

yeah, i had never thought of that. thanks for the heads up, d!
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

madtolive wrote:
EP_scoot wrote:
madtolive wrote:

yeah, i had never thought of that. thanks for the heads up, d!
that is great advice.

I've only ridden through standing water once and I swear it made my scooter act up for a while. I started to feel a slight slipping at the beginning of the throttle for about two weeks after, which doesn't make much sense since the gearbox is closed.

But there have been warnings here to avoid spraying directly into the undercarriage of the scooter when washing, so I imagine at some point SOME damage could happen.

The slipping seemed to go away once the weather dried out. I've felt it every so often after my Buddy has gotten rained on though.

This is definitely ultra subjective but I thought I'd post my experience.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I recommend that when driving on bricks or cobblestones on your buddy, that you keep your mouth open about 3/4 inch. It will keep your teeth from rattling together too hard and save a trip to the dentist. :D

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Mrs.Spaceman

Post by Mrs.Spaceman »

There is a set of railroad tracks I go over where slowing down isn't really an option, unless I don't mind being rear-ended. The tracks are pretty smooth, but EVERY time I was going over them my butt ended up 6" in the air off the seat then came crashing back down. I now stand up a little on the floorboard when I go over them so I can absorb the shock with my bent legs rather than my arse.