Parking Garage Gate

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scoots0414

Parking Garage Gate

Post by scoots0414 »

Hey All,

I recently started parking in a secured parking garage during the day. Now I can finally drive my scoot to work, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the parking garage gate to recognize my scooter. The manager of the garage says the scooter not big enough (not enough metal) for the sensors in the pavement to recognize and that I should bring a piece of metal with me to hold over the sensor....but it is not very convenient to cruise around carrying a big random piece of metal! Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have a better solution?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

no room to scoot around the gate? Is it highe enough where you can go to the side and walk it under the gate?
scoots0414

Post by scoots0414 »

No, the gate goes almost all the way to the wall and it's too low to push the scooter under.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

You can search for that on the archives as it has been discussed before. I know a few people were talking about this gadget you can buy that "supposedly" helps with that on the stop lights.

I take it there is no gate you could go around but just a big door.

You could also get a big enough piece of metal to activate it and leave it behind a bush by the door or somehere and just get off the scoot to grab it, actuate the door and leave it back where it was. That way you would not have to carry it with you. Just a thought.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

hmmm... go in the middle of the night and cut 2 feet off of the far end of the gate... they wont even notice the difference

Im kidding.... mostly :twisted:

Is there a pedestrian enterance on ground level you can roll it through?.
scoots0414

Post by scoots0414 »

Thanks for the replies! I may just have to make a midnight trip and do some sawing :D
Blackie

Parking Garage Gate

Post by Blackie »

Just be careful...there could be a camera pointed at that gate.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

I used to park in a lot with the same problem. One day someone drove through the gate. It snapped off about 2 feet, solving everyone's problem! Know anyone with a pickup or SUV?
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

olhogrider wrote:I used to park in a lot with the same problem. One day someone drove through the gate. It snapped off about 2 feet, solving everyone's problem! Know anyone with a pickup or SUV?
I used to work at a hotel in security... we had an employee make an illegal turn onto our property and headed down into our parking garage.. and a cop came FLYING in SMASHED through the gate to follow and give the guy a ticket :shock: Totally safe. Of course we didnt say anything about the gate or the wreckless driving on the part of the officer on PRIVATE PROPERTY, because we liked being able to call them when we needed them :evil:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Try positioning the scooter directly over the sensor and tapping the center stand on the pavement. This works for many magnetic stoplight sensors.
EP_scoot wrote:You can search for that on the archives as it has been discussed before. I know a few people were talking about this gadget you can buy that "supposedly" helps with that on the stop lights.
So far, no one who's bought one of these has said they work. :(
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

EP_scoot wrote:You can search for that on the archives as it has been discussed before. I know a few people were talking about this gadget you can buy that "supposedly" helps with that on the stop lights.

I take it there is no gate you could go around but just a big door.

You could also get a big enough piece of metal to activate it and leave it behind a bush by the door or somehere and just get off the scoot to grab it, actuate the door and leave it back where it was. That way you would not have to carry it with you. Just a thought.
Something like this is what EP_scoot is talking about. It seems that devices like this are very hit and miss (read: ineffective) on stop lights but might help you out. Well worth the $25 if it works.
scoots0414

Post by scoots0414 »

I'll try tapping the center stand right on the sensor...great idea!!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

The parking garages here in Cincinnati won't let motorcycles (and scooters) in because the gates don't handle them well. There are signs at the entrance that say "No motorcycles permitted in garage facility" and show somebody getting bashed in the head by a gate coming down.

I have been told there were lawsuits from people on motorcycles getting hurt by the gates. I don't know if it's true or not.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
fiver1971

Post by fiver1971 »

The underground parking garage I use has one of those light sensors, like you'd see on an automatic garage door opener at home, that lets it know when something has crossed in it's path. Once you block the light that's being shown from the transmitting device to the recieving device, the gate starts to open up. Perhaps you could ask the garage about switching to that sort of sensor?
sotied

Post by sotied »

I've taken to towing a civil-war-era cannon behind Scootle for just this reason.

Maybe that's why I can't get over 64 indicated...come to think of it.

*The center stand tap sound brilliant and would probably work.

All the garages I use (hospital and school) have room on the side to squeeze by. If the center stand doesn't do it, I say hoodie, dark glasses, hacksaw, nightvision goggles, Steven Segal, etc.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

sotied wrote:I've taken to towing a civil-war-era cannon behind Scootle for just this reason.
Helps cut down on tailgaters, too.
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

And going downhill you are probably pissing off that guy that just got his bimmer as you pass them by at warp speed. I say a bonus either way ! :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

I've seen some weight based, some magnetic based. I know my apartment is weight based - if I'm not riding 2 up with my girlfriend then I frequently have issues getting it to open. Apparently the trigger point is somewhere around 500 lbs.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Scooter Hoot wrote:I've seen some weight based, some magnetic based. I know my apartment is weight based - if I'm not riding 2 up with my girlfriend then I frequently have issues getting it to open. Apparently the trigger point is somewhere around 500 lbs.
YIKES. Don't let your girlfriend see this.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

sotied wouldnt have a problem with that :wink:
Scooter Hoot

Post by Scooter Hoot »

sotied wrote: YIKES. Don't let your girlfriend see this.
Well, 300 lb scoot + 190 (with gear) Hoot ... yes, I'm implying that my girlfriend weighs something more than 10 lbs :shock:
sotied

Post by sotied »

MikieTaps wrote:sotied wouldnt have a problem with that :wink:
I wouldn't need Scootle to get that gate up.

Which reminds me, we (GF and I) watched Discovery TV last night because we're total losers. And they had on THE HALF TON MAN.

STORY - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8357654/

It was about a guy who weighed about 1100lbs. Horrifying and riveting at the same time.

All I could think of was, is that gonna be me in a couple years?

Will they have to saw my house apart to get me out?

Will I totally flow all over Scootle obscuring any hint that I'm sitting on a scooter?

I shrugged and drank another Dr. Pepper to wash down the block of Vermont Cheddar I was eating like a freeze pop...just squeezing it up out of its plastic sleeve.

Mmmm, cheese.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Well, look on the bright side Sotied, you'll look like you're hovering across the ground if they can't see your scoot! :P
sotied

Post by sotied »

Kaos wrote:Well, look on the bright side Sotied, you'll look like you're hovering across the ground if they can't see your scoot! :P
I'll be like those kid sneakers with the wheels that pop out of the bottom to give you stealth rollerskates.

Quite a visual.

:shock:
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

sotied wrote:
Kaos wrote:Well, look on the bright side Sotied, you'll look like you're hovering across the ground if they can't see your scoot! :P
I'll be like those kid sneakers with the wheels that pop out of the bottom to give you stealth rollerskates.

Quite a visual.

:shock:
OOOO!!! and now Kaos is in on it! he must be self concsious also. :wink:
scoots4me

Post by scoots4me »

Hey scoots0414 let us know how it goes. I've been having issues getting out of the garage but getting in works like a dream? It's a cruel, cruel plan to allow me to get TO work but to not allow me to LEAVE. Garage attendants just shrug when I complain and have to scoot up a few levels to make them buzz me out. Maybe my plan should be to bug them enough that they do something. Anyway let us know how you fare.

FWIW I tested out the old urban scoot legend (did i make that up?) regarding bouncing to trigger the sensor. Didn't work worth a crap but was darn hysterical to some cagers around me.
*** scootie scoot scoot ***
scoots0414

Post by scoots0414 »

Ok, so I tried to tap the center stand but that didn't work. However, I put an old license plate in my bag and dropped my bag directly on the ground on top of the sensors and it worked like a charm. For once I didn't have 10 cars behind me honking because I was taking so long! :D
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Ok, so I tried to tap the center stand but that didn't work. However, I put an old license plate in my bag and dropped my bag directly on the ground on top of the sensors and it worked like a charm. For once I didn't have 10 cars behind me honking because I was taking so long! Very Happy

Thats an ingenious idea! I'll have to remember that one. Theres one light I pass through on my way to work that I have a very hard time triggering...
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

scoots0414 wrote:Ok, so I tried to tap the center stand but that didn't work. However, I put an old license plate in my bag and dropped my bag directly on the ground on top of the sensors and it worked like a charm. For once I didn't have 10 cars behind me honking because I was taking so long! :D
Wow! Great! Although secretly I think cutting the gate would be SO much more fun.