Looking for advice for 1st scooter, 50cc vs. 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MortGoldman

Looking for advice for 1st scooter, 50cc vs. 125

Post by MortGoldman »

I'm 6'5 ~ 200lbs, and was looking to get a 50cc for the main reason of avoiding having to get plates & a different license class, as well as parking on sidewalks (I live downtown). But after reading reviews / comments, was curious not only if the 50 would fit me size wise, but also, is a 50cc absolutely powerless? If I start riding it more, including to work I would have to drive a few miles on the freeway (most of the route is 50mph roads), and dont know if thats even possible with 50cc. Is it worth the extra $ for the 125? Really don't know much about them, so any info/experience would help.
Thanks.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

Get the 125. The 50cc has some get up and go... it will suprise you, but you are gonna constantly be wanting more. You are gonna top out, deristricted on a 50cc at about 40-45 bmph. On a 125 you will be able to get up over 60bmph. The acceleration is much better, and it is better for the environment... 4T vs. 2T. Its only a couple hundred extra for the 125... save up the extra and get the 125 you will appreciate it!

They are easy to park on the street, what downtown do you live in? There are people from all over the place on this forum, so I am sure you will be able to get some great insight on parking on here.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

some good discussion here...

viewtopic.php?t=246&highlight=125

If you search you will find more threads out there with discussion on this.

oh yeah, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :D
MortGoldman

Post by MortGoldman »

I'm leaning towards the 125, but do you know if that then will require me to get license plates for it & a different license class? I imagine even if so, many people do with out since its not easy for a cop to differentiate... though I guess it depends on the law. I'm in denver, where the cut off is 50ccs for a license plate / parking on sidewalks.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

There are a ton of Denver peeps in here, hopefully one will chime in on the local situation. You will probably need a MC liscence for a 125, but its super easy to get, either with the MSF class or by taking the test at the DMV, super easy, ESPECIALLY on the scooter! :D If the plate and liscencing are the only things holding you back from a 125... just go through the motions and get the plate and liscence... you will be happier in the end when you can go 60-65 bmph, and not be stuck on side streets at 35mph, or spending hundreds of dollars later to try to make your 50 keep up with a stock 125.

instead you will be spending hundreds of dollars <--- like me and some others on here ) to get your scooter to take out 150s' and even some 200's :twisted:

I like speed.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

In MN you need at least a 150cc to get on the highway. I really get confused between the terms highway and freeway, so just check what is the min. engine size you would need as the 125 might not be legal on those roads.

Even if you were only in town traffic, you would want the added ummph of the 125cc to be able to maneauver through the traffic and have the power to stay ahead of them.

A 50cc limits you quite a bit. Then if you want more out of it and you kit it to 70cc, well, you lost all the advantages of why you got the 50cc as you would then need the license, plates, etc (though no one does and you probably would not get caught).
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Taz

Post by Taz »

In MN a major plus is you can easily park for free in bike racks! This is the sole reason I am going with a 50. It will save me a fortune in parking costs. It is the most compelling reason for me to have a scooter over a motorcycle to commute to work on. Another plus is no insurance is required though I'll have it anyway and you don't need a motorcycle endoresement so my mom or friends can ride on on occassion.

Plus if you don't mind a bit of tinkering, a 50cc 2 stroke can be easily be made faster. I'll save a minimum of $100/month in parking fees and typically closer to $180 if I have to go to one of our client's offices in Minneapolis on parking. I can't overlook that type of advantage.

Having already owned a 50cc 4 stroke scooter I am aware of the limitations. However I optimized my route to commute to work based on my 50. It only takes 5 minutes longer (28 vs 23) to commute on my recently sold 50cc 4 stroke scooter than my car or motorcycle. Most of that delay came as result of one very big and steep hill that would see me pulling down to 20 mph. So I sold the 50cc 4 stroke and plan to buy a 2 stroke version and if still not quite enough umph after being broken in and derestricted I'll go with a big bore kit to keep it quiet and stock looking.

A little 50 2 stroke has quite a bit of potential. I used to race them as well as other much larger 2 strokes and I know that with a bit of tweaking they can be very fast and reliable.

If the parking wasn't such a huge bonus I'd buy a SYM HD200 and be done with it either that or figure out how to but that motor in a Buddy International Edition as I don't really like the looks of that particular SYM but I sure love the drivetrain!
MortGoldman

Post by MortGoldman »

appreciate the responses / feedback.

One additional question; does anybody have a buddy 125 who just rides it like a 50cc? Meaning never went though the process of getting plates, parks on sidewalks, everything one does with a 50.... and if so do you find that you do get ticketed, or is that a rarity for those overly drawing attention to themselves? gracias.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i know of some people that have 125's taken off the decals that say 125, and use industrial strength welcro for the plates so they can park on sidewalks etc... :? That would make me nervous tho...

But then again, I am currently riding on an expired license... :twisted:
MortGoldman

Post by MortGoldman »

I like the velcro idea, but I was thinking of not getting the plates/license in the first place. I'm just not sure how much meter maids look for the 50+ version scooters to write up. Also, I can't imagine getting pulled over for going the speed limit, because its over the 30mph 50cc/rule.
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

i have a feeling the penalty if you DO get pulled over would be pretty stiff... :?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

MortGoldman wrote:I like the velcro idea, but I was thinking of not getting the plates/license in the first place. I'm just not sure how much meter maids look for the 50+ version scooters to write up. Also, I can't imagine getting pulled over for going the speed limit, because its over the 30mph 50cc/rule.
So, Mort. You were thinking you would ride a $3,500 scooter that is capable of 65 mph+ with no registration and no insurance. Good luck, my man.