Transporting a Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GenuineSlacker

Transporting a Buddy

Post by GenuineSlacker »

So, I'm curious if anyone here has had to move their buddy without being able to ride it? and if so how you did it, because last night I had a wonderful little experience moving mine. Had to slap it into a mini-van, second row, without taking out the seats. Nothing broke and I only had to take off the mirrors to be able to fit it into the van, which was also full of huge amounts of crap. The only problem I had was when we got it out, it didn't want to start. I figured I flooded the catalytic converter, or that there was a problem with the gas that it just needed to settle or something. Waited till morning and the elec start got it right up. Ran well and no dying, it was perfect. I should have pictures coming soon.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
Keys

Post by Keys »

When I got mine, I was being met half way in Phoenix by Shelby from Scoot Over. I live about 100 miles north of Phoenix and Scoot Over is about 100 miles south, in Tucson. I didn't have a pickup available, so I just drove my '96 Chrysler Sebring convertible down and put my Buddy in the back seat and drove it home. The front wheel hung up in the air pretty good, and I got a lot of grins and even several people taking pics with their camera phones, but I got 'er home safe and sound!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

wow, i did the super easy "ride it up a ramp into pickup and strap it down" technique. you fellas are pretty determined, though! i do think betty will fit into the back of my station wagon and could lean onto the back seatrests for support if need be. my wagon, ironically enough, is named stella :lol:
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

I did the even easier "back the trailer up to the edge of the carport and ride right onto the flatbed" method. A couple of ratchet straps and we're good to go. (I have a 4x8 utility trailer from Harbor Freight)

Jody
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

We can load one into the back of our RAV4 (compact SUV) if you take the mirrors off, oh, and take the back seats out. Once it's in all you need are a couple of ratchet tie downs and you're good to go!

I was surprised when we first did this but we have done it several times since then. I'll have to take a picture the next time.

Not as easy as a trailer or the back of a pickup but it works and the buddy fits in.

We amazed the guy at Scooterville that it fit into the back of the RAV.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

mybetty wrote:wow, i did the super easy "ride it up a ramp into pickup and strap it down" technique. you fellas are pretty determined, though! i do think betty will fit into the back of my station wagon and could lean onto the back seatrests for support if need be. my wagon, ironically enough, is named stella :lol:
We're going to be trying this with 2 scooters when we drive out for the High Rollers rally in Vegas. Lots of scooter shop and Modern Vespa people have offered advice and help (thanks, all!) ao I'm confident it should be a breeze.

Just out of curiosity, Betty, did you use any kind of chock for the front wheel and how far/long/fast were you transporting?

Thanks!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

One of the reasons I finally chose a Buddy was because of the light weight for a 125cc scooter. And am I glad I did! In October we took a 2700 mile road trip in our Vista Cruiser Mini and brought the Buddy 125 micro cruiser along. We carried it with a tilt-a-rack and had no problems at all. It slides into a class III receiver hitch so I use it on my pickup also. It weighs about 40 pounds so the total weight loaded is under 300 lbs. It took a little practice loading but now I can get it done in less than 5 mins. When I get some time maybe I'll write a full review. In the meantime here are a few photos from our trip!
Attachments
Bud3.jpg
Bud3.jpg (66.47 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
Bud2.jpg
Bud2.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Bud1.jpg
Bud1.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
castleton

Post by castleton »

MNBuddy wrote:We can load one into the back of our RAV4 (compact SUV) if you take the mirrors off, oh, and take the back seats out. Once it's in all you need are a couple of ratchet tie downs and you're good to go!
the RAV.
What year RAV?
Mine's a 1998, and even with the seats out, I'm not sure it would fit, but I'd like to try!
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
weebl

Post by weebl »

Check your local scooter shop for a Canyon Dancer Bar-Harness. It slips over the grips of your bike and then attatches to your tie-down straps. Makes securing a bike much much easier.
Pickup truck + canyon dancer+ straps + cement block + scooter = no problem
dorothyblue

Post by dorothyblue »

Anyone tried to get one in a Forerunner?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

weebl wrote:Check your local scooter shop for a Canyon Dancer Bar-Harness. It slips over the grips of your bike and then attatches to your tie-down straps. Makes securing a bike much much easier.
Pickup truck + canyon dancer+ straps + cement block + scooter = no problem
I use one of those and it works great! Only problem I had was when it pushed against the horn buttom as I was tieing it downd.. Surprised the crap out of me!

BR - not david
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
SheZAAM!

Post by SheZAAM! »

BuddyRaton- Could you post info and/or a link to your scooter carrier?

Thanks!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

SheZAAM! wrote:BuddyRaton- Could you post info and/or a link to your scooter carrier?

Thanks!

Here ya go! I went with the 410ACR. With a max load rating of 400 lbs it left plenty of leeway for the Buddy. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR HITCH RATING. The RV has a toung rating of 500 lbs and my Tndra is rated at 700 lbs. Don't forget that it sticks out a little bit so the load will be increased when going over bumps in the road!
http://www.tilt-a-rack.net/motor_cycle.htm
www.teamscootertrash.com

MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

castleton wrote:What year RAV?
Mine's a 1998, and even with the seats out, I'm not sure it would fit, but I'd like to try!
Rav is a 2002. It goes in diagonally but it fits.
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

ericalm wrote:We're going to be trying this with 2 scooters when we drive out for the High Rollers rally in Vegas. Lots of scooter shop and Modern Vespa people have offered advice and help (thanks, all!) ao I'm confident it should be a breeze.

Just out of curiosity, Betty, did you use any kind of chock for the front wheel and how far/long/fast were you transporting?

Thanks!
nothing for the front wheel, just rode her up REALLY snug to front of bed, and we used rachet-type tie down straps. one around entire front of scoot first (aligned just below dash cubby), and one on each side in back, attached to my rear rack. tried it on center stand first....bad idea. i recommend sitting on scoot as someone else tightens rear straps. with shocks compressed you get a much more secure result. after we had her in i rode an hour about 75 mph. lots of twisty mountain turns in the road, too. absolutely no movement from betty!
ps: my name is abby, my scooter is betty!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

mybetty wrote:ps: my name is abby, my scooter is betty!
Ha, I should have figured that out. Thanks for the reply!
henryc

Post by henryc »

Has anybody found a chock that fits the Buddy's front wheel? I recently bought a 3.5" Pingel chock. The Buddy's front tire will fit (barely) into the chock, but the wheel can't go all the way in because the top part of the chock hits the disk rotor.