Warranty question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Taz

Warranty question

Post by Taz »

Ok, I am just trying to understand something before I buy. As I understand it, the original owner of a new Genuine Scooter gets a 2 year warranty and 1 year roadside assistance. That seems pretty clear. As I understand it, this warranty is not transferrable to a second owner. Is this correct or is there any part of the warranty transferrable or does the second owner basically get no warranty at all even if the scoot is only 1 week old?

As I see it, this would potentially shaft you in the used market as you are effectively competing a severe disadvantage against a new scoot. What reason would you want to buy a used Buddy for example if there is on warranty on it? I was originally considering a used scoot as an option and now there is no reason at all unless I can get it at such a great price to offset the risk of a issue that would have been covered by the warranty. If I buy a used Honda, the warranty is transferrable as long as it is within the term of the original warranty period.

On one hand the 2 year warranty is a great marketing gimmick (to some extent) and helps them sells new scooters easier which is all they care about. However when you go to sell your Buddy you’ll have to potentially deal with greater depreciation because of this. Of course you could argue that the Genuine Scooter is so reliable that you won’t need the warranty in the first place but why make such a big marketing campaign out of it in the first place.

So I if I buy a Genuine (for the record I just put a deposit on one waiting approval by my girlfriend as she will be riding it too) I might as well drive it until it is out of the warranty period before selling it to get the max value out of the warranty. I really have to think about this aspect of it. For me it totally killed any notion of buying a used Buddy vs. a new. The second owner wanted what would have been a reasonable price had there been a balance of the factory warranty. Instead for about 15% more I'll have a brand new one with a full warranty good for 2 years and the roadside assistance. No brainer for me but I could be in the same situation if I decide to sell next year some time...
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

You are correct, it is NOT transferrable to a second owner.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Wow! Thanks for the clarification That should definitely impact it in the used market. Glad I didn't buy the used one I was looking at. The owner said it had the balance of the 2 year warranty. Apparently either he didn't know or was lying.

So the question becomes "Why buy a used Genuine Scooter?" Unless of course you can get it a great price or you plan on riding it for an incredibly long time. This presupposes the fact that you know exactly what you want and they don't later come out with anything that might be very tempting later.

I see used Buddies for almost new prices on Cragslist as an example. Why would you pay an almost new price for a used scoot with NO WARRANTY? Is this sort of like the bigger fool theory in stocks? I mean if someone is stupid enough to give me almost new money for a used Buddy, who am I to complain? I can't seeing it remain like this forever.

What happens if Genuine offers a transferrable warranty on the 09 models (BTW, anyone know when they will be out. Kymco already has some of theirs out) you'll at an even bigger disadvantage in the used market. I know you most of you don't buy a scoote with plans to sell it later but I rarely hold on to any vehicles more than a year or so lately. I choose pretty carefully and buy right so I havne't really gotten hurt badly on depreciation.

Having a warranty when selling a used scoot is a major plus! I could see Genuine offering some sort of compromise of having the local shop checking the scoot out at the time of sale and paying a small transfer fee of $25-$50 would be reasonable.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Taz wrote:So the question becomes "Why buy a used Genuine Scooter?"
Because they are very reliable and outperform many competitive equivalents. The used prices are also high simply because of overwhelming demand right now. You are shopping at a bad time.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's a lot of debate on this. Genuine policy is that the warranty is not transferable to a second owner. We have seen several instances of dealers honoring the warranty for second owners, though. It's largely at the dealer's and the company's discretion (if Genuine even knows it's the second owner).

My guess is that if you come in with an unmodified and well maintained scooter with a valid warranty claim, they would cover you. There's no guarantee of this, of course, and wioth the current boom in sales, this might change.
On one hand the 2 year warranty is a great marketing gimmick (to some extent) and helps them sells new scooters easier which is all they care about. However when you go to sell your Buddy you’ll have to potentially deal with greater depreciation because of this. Of course you could argue that the Genuine Scooter is so reliable that you won’t need the warranty in the first place but why make such a big marketing campaign out of it in the first place.
Genuine honors its warranty—probably better than most companies. All warranties are a sales tool, but offering a 2-year one also shows they back their product. Most owners don't sell within 2 years. Why market this? To show prospective buyers that they stand behind and support their products and that they can have some confidence in Genuine scooters. Vespa only offers a 1 year warranty! (Yet they don;t depreciate nearly as fast as an Asian scooter.) It also differentiates Genuine from those selling cheap mainland Chinese scoots—many of which have widely-reported customer service issues with honoring warranties.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Taz wrote:
So the question becomes "Why buy a used Genuine Scooter?"
Craigslist, newspaper ads, etc. Many people getting into scooters don't think new, but used and that is where thye look. Many people just don't do the research that most of us at MB have done. If more people did the research, how many chinese scoots do you think would be sold?

For some people a scooter is a toy to ride around the parks on Sundays. Ultimately supply and demand sets the price of any item. You can price your used Buddy at $5,000, it doesn't matter. At then end it will sale at market price, or you might find one of those people that just has to have it and pay premium $.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Christy

Post by Christy »

i don't mean to stir the pot here, but I have a question about the warranty too. I was just reading my warranty certificate very carefully (for another OP who had a question) and I realized it does NOT say that the warranty isn't transferable. it says it's 2 years from the date of purchase by the original owner. To me that just says 2 years from the original sales date...regardless of who owns it.

Can anyone provide a link to the proof that Genuine has said it's not transferable?

I've always believed it was not transferable and have been one to tell people that, but I just realized that I don't know for sure if that is true or not...
EPSP #76
Jake

Post by Jake »

I actually wonder if they have a so-called 'official' policy on their warranty. Wasn't there some guy that had his engine sieze with like a month left on his warranty, and Genuine told them that that would be his last warranty repair or something?

Or can you just make up rules willy-nilly when you're the one issuing the warranty?
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Christy wrote: it says it's 2 years from the date of purchase by the original owner. To me that just says 2 years from the original sales date...regardless of who owns it.
They could make the claim that they included "original owner" in the language to mean that's who it applies to. How's that for an awkward sentence? :oops:

Anyway, why include the phrase original owner if it is good for any subsequent owners?

I see it as punishment for anyone disloyal enough to dump their Buddy before 2 years. :twisted:

BTW, my Chinese scoot's warranty was 24 hours or 24 miles, whichever came first. :cry:
rickko

Post by rickko »

Christy wrote: Can anyone provide a link to the proof that Genuine has said it's not transferable?
Hahaa.... I hope you are a very patient person as, the silence is deafening.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
rickko

Post by rickko »

Contrary to most posts here I wouldn't think twice about buying used; in fact I did saving about $1,000 on a scooter with only 700 miles!

Warranty or not, the scooter IS very reliable.

I'll easily take the depreciation in lieu of a warranty. Then if I can find a Genuine dealer that will do warranty work it becomes a win-win situation.

What a great leverage point for a buyer; whine about the 'rumored' Genuine warranty policy to the seller yet still get it fixed under warranty! Woo-hoo!

Granted, roadside service can be another concern for some. For me it is not because I doubt the scooter will ever go further than 10 miles from my home (and I have a m/c trailer I can use to pick it up if needed).

I bought mine just to putt around the neighborhood, run errands, go to the beach (3 miles), etc. I wouldn't think of buying new and having to pay taxes, setup charges, license fees, 1st service expense, etc. I'll probably keep it for a long, long time.

JMO,
..rickko..
MB member #2568
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Many other reputable scoots such as Yamahas only have one year warranties. I do not see the non-transferable warranty as a big drawback in buying a new Buddy. Heck, if you only plan to keep the scoot for a short period of time, you shouldn't be buying new anyway.

There also seems to be some confusion about what a vehicle warranty actually is. The manufacturer is committing to repair or replace any faulty parts or workmanship on your scoot as it left the factory. They aren't promising you that they'll fix things that you damage or that wear out in normal (or abnormal) use. If you beat the heck out of your scoot for nearly two years and manage to sieze an engine, they might properly ask what caused the failure - a flaw when delivered from the factory or nearly two years worth of poor maintenance and over revving by you. Automobile warranties these days usually include a 5 year drive train warranty. When you go to the dealer four years later with a major mechanical problem you might likewise expect a bunch of discussion with the dealer and the manufacturer about what caused the problem.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rickko wrote:
Christy wrote: Can anyone provide a link to the proof that Genuine has said it's not transferable?

..rickko..
From a very old thread.
dwnthehatch wrote: Troy:

Thank you for the email.

The warranty and roadside service are not transferable, unfortunately.

I hope you had a great weekend!

Brett Ratner
Genuine Scooters Dealer Development
877.MY.STELLA
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Jake wrote:I actually wonder if they have a so-called 'official' policy on their warranty. Wasn't there some guy that had his engine sieze with like a month left on his warranty, and Genuine told them that that would be his last warranty repair or something?

Or can you just make up rules willy-nilly when you're the one issuing the warranty?
If the instance your talking about is the one I'm thinking about, that's not actually what happened. Just keep in mind that we usually only get one side of the story here and that there are people who will come onto the site and make all sorts of claims and declarations knowing that reps from Genuine and most dealers don't post here. So, this person was coming here and saying one thing, when in reality the issue should not have been covered by the warranty at all. Genuine ultimately replaced the engine, but the "last warranty repair" stipulation was because this person had put a buttload of cheap-ass performance parts on the scooter, ridden it beyond its intended use, and killed the engine.
rickko

Post by rickko »

ericalm wrote: From a very old thread.

Thank you for the email.

Brett Ratner
877.MY.STELLA
And the proof is? That's hearsay.

If Brett leaves the company, what's the proof the company offers? Brett's email? Did they send it to every new Buddy owner?

Now I AM positive one would win a small claims case against Genuine if they were not the first owner and the time period had not elapsed since the only 'evidence' the judge would see is what the consumer reads in his/her warranty. The consumer's only defense is the warranty. Since it may construed to be ambiguous and Genuine provides no other written interpretation of their warranty to the consumer, the judge most likely would rule in the consumer's favor.

Bottomline: Genuine needs to issue a new warranty policy. The current one probably wasn't written by one of their attorneys but copied from some other poorly written example.

Maybe it's a copy of a warranty originally written in Chinese, then translated by the same guy that wrote the Owner's manual for the US market.

Now that, I would believe.

..rickko..
MB member #2568
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is the proof that Genuine has said the warranty is not transferable. I didn't say it was ironclad, or even sufficient—that wasn't what Christy had asked for. Will it hold up in court? Ehh, hell if I know. If you're eager to test it, please do because I'm very interested in the outcome.
Christy

Post by Christy »

ericalm wrote:
rickko wrote:

..rickko..
From a very old thread.

Thank you for the email.

I hope you had a great weekend!

Brett Ratner
877.MY.STELLA
Thanks Eric. I'm not going to sell mine, but with all the people asking about it I just though it'd be good to know for sure instead of just repeating what everyone else says. :)
EPSP #76
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

rickko wrote:
ericalm wrote: From a very old thread.

Thank you for the email.

Brett Ratner
877.MY.STELLA
And the proof is? That's hearsay.

If Brett leaves the company, what's the proof the company offers? Brett's email? Did they send it to every new Buddy owner?

Now I AM positive one would win a small claims case against Genuine if they were not the first owner and the time period had not elapsed since the only 'evidence' the judge would see is what the consumer reads in his/her warranty. The consumer's only defense is the warranty. Since it may construed to be ambiguous and Genuine provides no other written interpretation of their warranty to the consumer, the judge most likely would rule in the consumer's favor.
Tell you what. Why don't you buy a used Buddy, take it in for a warranty repair and if it is disallowed, sue them. That way we will all know for sure instead of talking in "what might be".

If you bought a late 90's VW used, you did not get the balance of the factory warranty. It was cut in half unless it was sold to an immediate family member.

What Genuine does in regards to their warranty is NOT uncommon.
rickko

Post by rickko »

ScooterDave wrote:... Why don't you buy a used Buddy, take it in for a warranty repair and if it is disallowed, sue them. That way we will all know for sure instead of talking in "what might be."
Well I would if that situation arose but the dealership knows the person they originally sold the bike too. Since they know the scooter and the person they've already assured me they will do warranty work on it if needed. (Eric has said he's heard cases like this too.)

Sadly, this Buddy is too hearty! It just won't break (Of course, that is really good news, not sad news).

..rickko..
MB member #2568
irishtim

Re: Warranty question

Post by irishtim »

Taz wrote: What reason would you want to buy a used Buddy for example if there is on warranty on it?
Cheaper than new and you'll likely never need the warranty. (Taiwanese bikes are awesomely reliable.)
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

ericalm wrote:This is the proof that Genuine has said the warranty is not transferable. I didn't say it was ironclad, or even sufficient—that wasn't what Christy had asked for. Will it hold up in court? Ehh, hell if I know. If you're eager to test it, please do because I'm very interested in the outcome.
Yeah, just ride around until the oil filter unscrews itself. :P

I'm with Rickko on the bad translation from Taiwanese to English. But you have to admit, it says 2 years from the date the original owner purchased it, nothing stating that it has to have the same owner for 2 years. If it is nontransferable, it should say so in the fancy script up in the header of the document. Like others have said, any judge would rule in favor of the consumer.
Jake

Post by Jake »

ericalm wrote:
Jake wrote:I actually wonder if they have a so-called 'official' policy on their warranty. Wasn't there some guy that had his engine sieze with like a month left on his warranty, and Genuine told them that that would be his last warranty repair or something?

If the instance your talking about is the one I'm thinking about, that's not actually what happened. Just keep in mind that we usually only get one side of the story here and that there are people who will come onto the site and make all sorts of claims and declarations knowing that reps from Genuine and most dealers don't post here. So, this person was coming here and saying one thing, when in reality the issue should not have been covered by the warranty at all. Genuine ultimately replaced the engine, but the "last warranty repair" stipulation was because this person had put a buttload of cheap-ass performance parts on the scooter, ridden it beyond its intended use, and killed the engine.
Ah, I guess I never read the follow-up on that one. Thanks.
Obviously, Genuine is going way over the top then, since the warranty should have clearly been voided.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

eldoroddo wrote:If it is nontransferable, it should say so in the fancy script up in the header of the document. Like others have said, any judge would rule in favor of the consumer.
Yeah, I agree it should say so on the warranty card. All I was saying is that there has been an "official" communication from Genuine saying it is not.

No offense to anyone but unless there's a member who is a lawyer specializing in corporate law or business code or has some other expertise or experience in warranties, I'll chalk up anyone's claims about the certainty of the outcome of a lawsuit as pure conjecture. Common sense may dictate one thing, but that often doesn't have much to do with the law or courts. I'm not disagreeing or arguing the point; I was serious about being interested in the outcome should anyone need to test this.
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

ericalm wrote:
eldoroddo wrote:If it is nontransferable, it should say so in the fancy script up in the header of the document. Like others have said, any judge would rule in favor of the consumer.
Yeah, I agree it should say so on the warranty card. All I was saying is that there has been an "official" communication from Genuine saying it is not.

No offense to anyone but unless there's a member who is a lawyer specializing in corporate law or business code or has some other expertise or experience in warranties, I'll chalk up anyone's claims about the certainty of the outcome of a lawsuit as pure conjecture. Common sense may dictate one thing, but that often doesn't have much to do with the law or courts. I'm not disagreeing or arguing the point; I was serious about being interested in the outcome should anyone need to test this.
I agree it would be very interesting in a court of law.

However, when it comes right down to it, I think the court would rule by the exact wording in the warranty and how it is interpreted by the consumer, as it is supposed to be a legal document. Having the dealer/Genuine verbally state that it is not transferrable, then not have the warranty state the same thing, is highly confusing and questionable.

Then again, the Constitution and Bill of Rights has been bastardized from its original intent also :evil:

Ride safe---see ya at the El Camino College Swap Meet
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

eldoroddo wrote:Then again, the Constitution and Bill of Rights has been bastardized from its original intent also :evil:

Ride safe---see ya at the El Camino College Swap Meet
*cough* Politics! *cough*

I was going to go to El Camino, but the inaugural LA Scooter Meetup ride is the same day and I already committed to that. Not such a bad thing—I don't need to be out spending money right now, especially if tempted to buy a small bike… :)
Vic

Post by Vic »

ScooterDave wrote:Tell you what. Why don't you buy a used Buddy, take it in for a warranty repair and if it is disallowed, sue them. That way we will all know for sure instead of talking in "what might be".
Well, just because you asked. :wink:

I have a used 2007 Buddy that was purchased from Vespa Cleveland and it has died. The problem was posted about already on here, it happened less than one week after I took posession of the scooter. I have had it apart and gone through, replaced the CDI and stator, totally gone over the fuel lines, cleaned out the carb, new fuel filter and so on, had all of the electrics checked out throughly and it ran for another 3 days and is back to being a lawn ornament.

I am stuck, and have no other options but to hope for the best and that Genuine will take care of the scooter.

I know that there is a lotta love for Genuine here, but even a great manufacturer can put out a few lemons. It is exactly for this reason that a buyer must beware when buying used with a warranty that does not transfer.

For the record, there are some Chinese scooters that do offer a 2 year warranty, I had a Diamo from Kickstart in Columbus and it came with a 2 year warranty.

Oh, and the Diamo ran for over 3500 miles before going in for a carb issue that happened because the clamp holding the air hose slipped off and something got sucked into the carb and messed it up, as far as I know, the Diamo is fixed and running just fine. This Buddy has 2300 miles on it and nobody has any clue what is wrong with it. Is the Buddy a better scoot when it is running? Absolutely! Night and day. More reliable? Well, this one has been my property for a month and has left me and my daughter on the side of the road once and left me on the side of the road again this morning and I don't trust it any farther than I am willing to push it now.

I made the assumption that Genuine puts out a superior product and that the warranty really should not be that big of a deal. I now have to decide how much more to put into a scooter that I should have waited to buy and bought new for only a little more, and assuming it actually does get fixed, what are my odds of something else happening...

So, we will see what happens. The dealer in Columbus is a long way from my home, so I am working on figuring out what to do, but if it does not get honored as a warranty repair, and if I try to fight them about it and take it to court, I guess we will find out.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

-v
PeterC

Warranty Question

Post by PeterC »

Lord knows, I've bought a lot of used vehicles over the past 50 years, so I'm a bit puzzled over this seemingly obsessive concern abut warranties. My feeling is, if you buy a used car, motorcycle, scooter, etc., you should budget for any unexpected surprises. Buying new costs big bucks, and you are entitled to go back to the dealer within your warranty period or mileage limit. Buy used, and the rule is caveat emptor. Be prepared to pay a mechanic or do your own wrenching. There are a lot of great bargains on the used market, and a lot of real dogs. Do your homework before you buy.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

This is a perfect illustration of why I never buy used. I learned my lesson years ago after repeated problems with used vehicles through the years. You always seem to inherit someone else's problems and spend WAAAY more fixing it than if you'd just bought new. I've only purchased new vehicles with top reliability reputations for the past 20 years and it has paid off. I have had literally zero problems since I adopted that strategy. I'm sure I'm way ahead financially for that reason.

My response doesn't help Vic in the least, but it might help others learn from my experiences. Vic, you might consider writing to Genuine for help. It couldn't hurt. Or perhaps you're protected by a lemon law of sorts in your state.
underdog

Re: Warranty Question

Post by underdog »

Hi everyone, I joined a few weeks ago because I discovered Genuine scooters and fell in love with the Buddy. I have been reading this forum for a while because before I purchase a new scoot, I want to be sure that I am fully informed. In my search, I have considered getting a used scooter to try to save some money. I found a 2008 International Buddy for a decent price. The guy selling it was telling me that there was over a year and a half on the warranty left and that it was transferable. Remembering that I had read something about this on this forum, I researched and found this topic again. Yesterday I decided to ask Genuine Scooters myself what the policy was on transferring a warranty, so I emailed them. Here is a copy of my email to them and their response:
Hi Luis,
The Buddy comes with a 2 year unlimited mile warrantee that is not transferable.You also get roadside assistance. I hope this information helps.
Regards,
Dean
----- Original Message -----
To: info@genuinescooters.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:28 PM
Subject: Buddy warranty

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a Buddy St Tropez scooter. In doing my research on the scooter, I have come across several threads in modernbuddy.com that indicate that the warranty on a Buddy is not transferrable if the Buddy is sold to another person by the original owner. Could you please clarify for me your warranty policy regarding transferability of a warranty. The reason I ask is because I want to be able to make an informed decision. Thank you for your time.

Luis
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.8.6/1765 - Release Date: 11/3/2008 4:59 PM
It confirms what others have written here that the warranty is not transferable, and although I do agree that the way it is written on the warranty card you get with the scooter, it is not clear, I am posting this because even if you can sue, it takes time and money. I guess that an informed consumer is a good thing. I decided to forgo getting a used one becasue if something goes wrong, as happened to Vic. Who knows why the person is really selling the scoot. I agree with PeterC that buyer should beware, so when I do get my Buddy, it will probably be a new one with a warranty that I know I will not have to worry about if something goes wrong. The extra money will be worth the peace of mind for me. :)

p.s. sorry for the long post and for beating a dead horse, but after reading this forum for a while now, I am more convinced that I will get a Buddy, because I really enjoy reading what you guys write and want to be a part of the community. Thanks :D
Vic

Post by Vic »

PeterC wrote:Lord knows, I've bought a lot of used vehicles over the past 50 years, so I'm a bit puzzled over this seemingly obsessive concern abut warranties. My feeling is, if you buy a used car, motorcycle, scooter, etc., you should budget for any unexpected surprises. Buying new costs big bucks, and you are entitled to go back to the dealer within your warranty period or mileage limit. Buy used, and the rule is caveat emptor. Be prepared to pay a mechanic or do your own wrenching. There are a lot of great bargains on the used market, and a lot of real dogs. Do your homework before you buy.
Well, let's see... I bought a scooter with an excellent reputation, from a person that was well vetted and I am confident took excellent care of the machine, had low miles, and was in perfect condition. I thought I did my homework. I planned for needing to pay for minor repairs and such, in the future.

Who would think that the thing would break down before I even had a chance to get the title transferred? (I got it on a Saturday but by the time I got home the DMV was closed and they close before I get off of work, so I was going to do it the following Saturday after the next one because I was out of town-I have the title, and it is all paid for, so it is my scooter.)

Yes, buyer beware, but it is a shame that a good company that sells a product that is known for it's quality does not offer a transferrable warranty, not an extension of the time on the original warranty, just standing behind the product no matter who owns it.

I can't imagine any buyer would expect to have something they bought completely die on them a week after buying it and baffle everyone as to what the problem is, no matter what homework they did. At about $100/hour for labor, it is only going to take a couple of hours to be over the savings of buying used. If my friends that looked at it before charged me, I would already be well over the price of buying new.

It is a risky proposition to buy used, but even doing your best homework it is still a toss of the dice. No warranty on the scooter leaves you hanging in the wind and you could go 800 miles and end up with a lawn ornament. Of course you could also end up going several thousand miles without even a hint of trouble.

-v. <---never was a good gambler!
rickko

Post by rickko »

underdog wrote:... I am posting this because even if you can sue, it takes time and money. ...
In California you can sue up to $5000 for only $35 and the time it takes to fill out 2 forms. That's certainly worth the time and money to test the warranty.
MB member #2568
underdog

Post by underdog »

rickko wrote:
underdog wrote:... I am posting this because even if you can sue, it takes time and money. ...
In California you can sue up to $5000 for only $35 and the time it takes to fill out 2 forms. That's certainly worth the time and money to test the warranty.
Perhaps, but remember, many states also award attorney's fees to the winner in any lawsuit, even small claims, so you better be darn sure you will win, or it could cost you more than a new Buddy to test that warranty. :D
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm glad I have my warranty, but I've problems with that in the past as well (not with my buddy, however.) My experience with dealers for my cars has been that the "warranty work" gets put to the back of the pile, since the consumer isn't the one paying for it. I subsequently had a car car sit at the dealer for a couple of weeks for something that should have taken a couple of hours.
We consumers just can't win sometimes

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
rickko

Post by rickko »

underdog wrote:
rickko wrote:
Perhaps, but remember, many states also award attorney's fees to the winner in any lawsuit, even small claims, so you better be darn sure you will win, or it could cost you more than a new Buddy to test that warranty. :D
Attorney's are not allowed in Small Claims court in CA so there are no attorney fees; just $35!

..rickko..
MB member #2568
eldoroddo

Post by eldoroddo »

Vic,
Take the time off of work and go to small claims court. I just got my 09 Pamplona, and it has the same vague warranty statement. It's the principle of the matter. The friggin' scooter is only a year old! FIGHT IT!
bikebuda

Post by bikebuda »

so let me get this straight

you are going to sue Genuine without ever even contacting them about your problem

about a bike they dont even know you own

if you paid to have it fixed and it isnt
why wouldnt you bring it back to the dealer who worked on it
Vic

Post by Vic »

bikebuda wrote:so let me get this straight

you are going to sue Genuine without ever even contacting them about your problem

about a bike they dont even know you own

if you paid to have it fixed and it isnt
why wouldnt you bring it back to the dealer who worked on it
No, I am not going to do that. I am attempting to contact the dealer in my area to see if they might be willing to help me out. I have already emailed them and gotten no reply. I tried calling them and need to talk to someone who was not there. I am going to drive there this weekend and hope that the guy I need to talk to is there and see what he says.

I bought the scooter in Cleveland and I don't have a truck to drive it all the way back to Cleveland and then come all the way back home again and then go back and pick it up again at some later point in time, so that is not really an option for me.

I have also tried emailing the guy from Genuine that was posted about on this forum and I am hoping maybe he will respond.

I am really hoping that they will do as some others have been fortunate enough to experience and help me out under the warranty. I don't want to have to deal with going to court or trying to find out about if it might be covered under the Ohio Lemon Law and dealing with getting all of those records and stuff done. That is all a major pain in the butt and I would prefer to not have to go through all of that, but I am kind of stuck, I have a scooter with less than 2500 miles on it, I have only put 900 miles on it in the 10 days that it has run that I have had it in my posession and I can't afford to go shelling out hundreds of dollars more--I shoudl have just bought a new scooter and been done with it but it is too late now for that. :(
-v