Your First Scooter :)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Corsair

Your First Scooter :)

Post by Corsair »

What was your first scooter? What is it about a scooter that made you want one? What made you decide to get a scooter?

Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

The Bud is my first scooter. I'd been thinking about getting one for a while. I looked at a bunch of them and was steered to the Buddy by Justin at Tulsa Scooters. I liked it, so I bought it. Glad I did.

First scooter, not first two-wheel motorized vehicle. Had a series of motorcycles over the years from a Honda CL125 twin to an R50 BMW.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
MNBuddy

Post by MNBuddy »

Orange Buddy 125

I took my wife out to buy her a scooter and she talked me into by saying "it would be more fun to own one if we could go scootering together"

Needless to say the dealrship was delighted to sell two at once.
Keys

Post by Keys »

A 1963 V90 Vespa. I have ALWAYS dug scooters. I think it was the sensuous curves of the Vespa that first got my attention...back when I was maybe 5 years old. Guess I've always had a weakness for sensuous curves...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
dwnthehatch

Re: Your First Scooter :)

Post by dwnthehatch »

Corsair wrote:What was your first scooter? What is it about a scooter that made you want one? What made you decide to get a scooter?

1st scooter was an 05 checkered honda metropolitan II that I won in a raffle. Then I won an 06 silver camo ruckus at the international motorcycle show. I sold the met II (too slow even unrestricted) and bought another 06 ruckus(white). I sold both ruckuses and bought a 06 Bajaj chetak. I sold the bajaj and bought a suzuki boulevard M50. I got tired of shifting and bought a neighbors 01 Kymco cobra and kymco people 50. I still have the kymcos.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

MNBuddy wrote:Orange Buddy 125

I took my wife out to buy her a scooter and she talked me into by saying "it would be more fun to own one if we could go scootering together"

Needless to say the dealrship was delighted to sell two at once.

Hahaha... that's sounds like my story. Now it seems like I'm more into then she is... lol
brat

Post by brat »

77' rally 200 with 112 miles on it and a 74 rally 200 with about 4000 miles on it. Both white. Got them both at the same time. Before that it was motorcycles.

Susan
SheZAAM!

Post by SheZAAM! »

A 1987 Honda Spree that I rode all over the Michigan State campus whenever it wasn't snowing. Being young & naive, I never wore a helmet.

Now that we're down to 1 car and I'm only 5 miles to work, I wanted another scooter. Looked at the TNG Milano until I was talked out of it by 3 scooter dealers. LOVED the pink Buddy (125) as soon as I saw it!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

My Buddy 125 is my first scooter.

Been talking with friends about scooters for a year. Did a bunch of research before deciding the Buddy was probably it, and finally went to Metro Scooters here in Cincinnati. Looked at some others while I was there, but basically price, performance, and reputation nailed it down.

After moving to this part of town, we became a one car family and I started taking the bus on my 7 mile commute. Two years of that got old and I got the scooter.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Buddy 125 is my first, though I also bought an '02 Bajaj Chetak the same week! :mrgreen:

Like others, I started on motorcycles and "regressed" to a scooter, because it is the "perfect weapon" for my commute. At some point I imagine that my desire for a motorcycle will flare up again and I'll get another one, but for now I am quite content with the Buddy/Chetak combo- one for riding and one for wrenching :wink:
ellen

Post by ellen »

2001 Eton Beamer 50cc. Great scooter. Thing was built like a Mack truck.

Never thought much about getting one. But I was talked into it. :)
GatsbyGirl

Post by GatsbyGirl »

The Buddy is my first. I absolutely, positively had no desire to have a scooter until Ericalm got his LX 150 despite my repeated protests. Within weeks I was won over, but still resistant to getting one of my own unless it "spoke" to me.

The only one that really did this was the Stella which weren't available in California. Then, when they suddenly became legal here they were discontinued.

Yet, once I saw the pink Buddy I was sorely tempted. The attractive price sealed the deal.
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

Aprilia Mojito Retro 50cc. I had been wanting to get a scoot since I did the whole mod/ska thing in highschool 15 years ago, just never had the extra $ to justify it, until...my 1966 VW Bug was being pushed home more often than being driven home...I needed more reliable transportation, so I thought "finally, my chance!". Scooters/MC's/Etc. have always been in my garage growing up too, having a Dad who likes his toys! I rode a lot of them too...the oddities included a KX80 (dirtbike), a couple Husquevana Enduros, a Harley Topper w/sidecar, Yamaha 225DX (manual shaft-drive 3-wheeled ATV that did about 85mph), Elite 80 & 125, Riva 180, Honda MB5 (2-stroke 50cc little 5-speed rocket), and, for dangerous fun, a couple of 3-wheeled gas powered Harley Davidson golf carts (without governers...did 45-50mph!) that me and my brother would race around the neighborhood.
Sorry to ramble.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

A 1971 Vespa Rally 180 that I bought in the 80's. It is currently sitting in my basement waiting restoration (in line with quie a few others).

Why did I buy it? Duh.. Chicks dig guys on scooters!

Dave
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Orange Buddy 125cc... first scooter.

I've always loved the culture around scooters. I've always thought the old Vespas/ Lambrettas were fab. Moving to Atlanta and seeing so many in my neighbourhood year 'round made me think it would be a great way to see the city and have some fun. 3 months later my husband bought a used Vino 50 2 stroke to join me in my new found passion. Someday I'll own a cool retro scooter to park beside my Buddy.
Laura
rajron

Post by rajron »

First scooter for me, had many a motorcycle but haven’t ridden a motorized two wheeler for many years and never thought I would until the wife got herself a People 150 and wanted someone to scoot around with, funny thing she is the one that stopped me from ridding – got the Buddy and never looked back – now waiting for the weather to get warmer for more riding time – the cold cuts into quality riding time.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

First scooter was an Aprilia Mojito 50 I bought new late in 2003. I'd been away from 2 wheelers for 20 years and the Mojito got me hooked again big time. I modded it about as much as I could but traded it for the Buddy when it developed its second expensive problem in 4 months. The Aprilia handled great and was a very comfy ride. Great seat, good ergos but the Buddy is a much better ride overall. I now find myself considering a Vespa GTS but I think I'll wait a while before I decide.

Back in my youth, 2 friends introduced me to motorcycles. My first ride was as a terrified passenger on a Honda 90. When I got to drive it, I was no longer terrified. Another friend raced 2 stroke Yamahas and always had a stable of street bikes. Through him I got to sample many different Hondas and Yamahas as well as some truly memorable Nortons, Triumphs and Ducatis. First bike I owned was a Honda Hawk.

While the Mojito cost me some pretty serious money, it also reintroduced me to 2 wheelers. For that, and for 4000+ miles, I thank it.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

My first scooter was an orange 1978 Honda Express that had originally been purchased new by my mother to ride to work. By the time I got it in '94 it was quite knackered, but I still loved riding it (25 mph was pretty awesome when I was 14) and all the tinkering required to keep it alive kept my entertained over summer breaks. Since then I have had 13 other scoots of varied shape, size and transmission, with the Buddy being the latest addition. I really like the efficiency and utility of the scooter, and of course they're still a blast to ride, although 60 mph does a better job of impressing my these days.
2wheelfreak72

Post by 2wheelfreak72 »

82' Honda Urban Express 50cc
SaltyDog

RE: first scooter

Post by SaltyDog »

Mine was a Cushman Deluxe Highlander (model 715 circa 1957?) that I bought off a local farmer for (I think) about 50 bucks. This was in 1967, and I rode it for about a year, till some damn kid dumped a handful of sand into the gas tank. Never got it running again, so that was the end of that. My mom wasn't all that red hot about my motoring around on two wheels anyway.

Flash forward to 2005, and I had a friend who rode an Aprilia Scarabeo. I caught the fever again, and now have a 50cc CPI Oliver City and an 1987 Honda Elite 250. The CPI was a learner machine, and I hope someday my kids will show an interest in riding with it.

For some reason I've always been spoiled by the ease of
just twisting and going I experienced on the old Cushman. I wouldn't mind getting a gear shifted machine next time, but when trying to commute I like the convenience.

I ride because it's FUN!
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

My facination began when my uncle would take "us kids" for rides around thier farm on some old (500cc i think) cycle he had. he's go over some of the hills by their little pond and scare us that we were able to fall in, although i'm positive we never would have, that was the same farm he grew up on and he knew it like the back of his hand.

These are the experiences that turned me into the g-force thrill seeker i have become. It was only a matter of time before i got some kind of two-wheeler. The buddy was pretty much a "love at first sight" via the internet, and i'm lucky i feel so hard for such a reputable brand. i didn't even test ride before i bought one... >,< but i haven't been burned by her.
bs318is11

Post by bs318is11 »

Baby blue 1980 Honda Express II. I bought it six years ago when i was sixteen because it was cheap and didnt use much gas. Just rebuilt it. I dont have a title and pennsylvanias laws changed so i cant ride it on the road anymore :evil:
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

A bright taxicab yellow 2006 Verucci Challenger :oops: that I bought on impulse at a yard sale in the Everglades this past December. I'd seen scooters parked at our subway stop, and had idly considered a scoot as a possible option for getting from home to subway (just so you know how serious I was -- or, more accurately, wasn't -- I had also been pondering getting a Segway).

My pal Kelly and I were driving back to Everglades National Park, where we were camping, from the Robert Is Here fruit stand where we'd loaded up on supplies. The yard sale was right by the side of the road, and the yellow Verucci was pretty eye-catching sitting there. "Look at that scooter -- isn't it cute?" I said as we drove past. "Wanna go back and look at it?" Kelly asked. "Sure," I said, and she screeched into a u-turn.

Well, of course I knew zilch about scooters, and of course we were camping, so I couldn't run off to do hours of research on the 'Net. So I took a risk and bought the damn thing, had fun on it for a few days, and then took it back to DC, where it promptly died.

By then, though, I'd done some surfing, met the folks on the DCScoots board, and realized I had a piece of crap on my hands. (That scoot is still sitting, dead to the world, in my back yard.) Bought the Piaggio Fly from somebody on DCScoots, attempted riding it, realized I was terrified of the damn thing, and on a business trip to Colorado paid a visit to Sportique Scooters and tried out the Buddies. The rest you know. :D
Eireann

Post by Eireann »

My darlin' Clementine is the first scooter I have owned--and we are still going strong after 9 months. I had been toying with the idea for some time in Mass., but the change in seasons and the access to reliable and cheap public transportation kept the idea just a passing fancy. When I realized I had to move to LA for school, I spent about 2 months trying really hard to make the bus work for me and then had enough and found Mike at NoHo scooters--it happened in less than a week, which I never expected. I knew I couldn't afford a car, and had no desire to sit in traffic for hours in one burning gas. I chose Clementine because she was pretty, visible, and cheap. A pal of mine back home in Montana worked at the only scooter shop in the state--Scooterworks in Missoula--and they sold Genuines among other brands. A few conversations convinced me that Clementine was the girl for me, and I'm super happy with the choice.
Of course, every now and then I have Vespa envy. How I wouldn't love to get a hold of one of those Grandturismos...
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

this would be my first scooter. i think it's probably the best compromise right now, in terms of being environmentally responsible, while still providing a reasonable level of mobility that public transportation can't quite solve yet. plus, it's just so much fun to ride. after i test rode the first scooter (a Piaggio Typhoon 50), i knew instantly that i had to get a scooter.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

First scooter for me. I've never driven any kind of scooter or motorcycle before. I basically shopped "with" my sister (re: she did most of the shopping and I took advantage of the information she gathered, then went to the store with her) and then bought my own. I'm really happy to have it--it's fun and economical! While I'm not an adrenaline-speed junkie like some here, I still enjoy scooting around town.... :D
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

2007 Vespa LX150

AS to why:

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewto ... ight=tbone

I grew up in Fresno, CA.

Typical suburban city. Smack dab in the MIDDLE of the state. Landlocked, surrounded by farmland. Very midwestern like feel to it.

As a typical suburban Caucasian kid I gravitated towards 2 forms of music:
Heavy Metal and Gangster Rap.

Until...1993, tired of being angry for no reason (Well there were reasons. I'm a sophomore in High School. No job, no car, no girls and living at home with the parents in Fresno. Many of these factors can change and did change) I'm a band geek to boot. I play clarinet (have since the age of 9) just started being a "cool" band geek by joining the drum squad.

Well, I'm excited. Right after lunch I'm going on a band trip down to LA. OUT OF FRESNO FOR 3 or 4 days!!! WOOHOO!!! ESCAPE.

All of a sudden I hear horns?! WTF...I sprint out to the quad from the classroom to see a band ontop of this Cement thing next to the pool. There's a band, with HORNS?! I walk over and I recognize one of my buddies from Drumline BLASTING away on his trombone.

I then noticed all the prettiest ladies on campus "dancing" to this weird upbeat "happy" music. A friend grabs me and teaches me how to "skank" I am now skanking with some of the prettiest girls on campus!!!

My buddy sells me a tape for $3 (I forgo lunch for the tape) and hands me a flyer. Next week friday, an all ages show...at a bar...one of the cute girls asks if I'll be there. "umm..oh yeah of course! Wouldn't miss it!"

Fast forward a year or two. More of my friends are involved with this band called Checkmate now. People I've known pretty much my whole life. Just about the only way my mom & dad would let me go to bars & clubs is because the drummer is younger than me and his parents trust him going to these establishments.

So, there's this punk club in downtown Fresno. Every friday night. Indy bands playing punk, metal, ska...whatever. All $5, everyweek. It was amazing! So Checkmate is opening for Hepcat!!! I'm so there. I'm outside the club chatting with my friends in Checkmate. I then hear the distinctive MEEP, MEEP of a scooter horn. I jump out of the way. This tough looking dude, dressed sharp in his Shark Skin suit rolls up on this BEAUTIFUL recently restored scooter (Sadly I don't remember the model). He starts chatting up one of my friends. I then see this GORGEOUS women get off the back of the bike! She's dressed in this classsic red Jackie-O style dress and headband. I'm drooling by this point. At the bike, the woman and the dude.

I've been involved in the SKA scene for close to 15+ years now. Many of those years I've been a scenster, paying money going to shows. For about 7 of those years now I've played in various ska bands. Thanks to the 2 tone movement of the 70's and early 80's with it's MOD connections, I've been into scooters about as long!

They're peripheral to the music/bands in the scene but always there. Depending on the band and the location of the show, there's more of a scooter presence versus other times.

Due to circumstances and finances I didn't get a scooter for about 13 years since that Hepcat Checkmate show. I FINALLY broke down and got a scooter recently because the circumstances and finances were in place. Not vintage though. Why? I'm not mechanically inclined. I still wanted the sleek look of the vintage bike but something a bit easier for ME to maintain. I looked into a few scooters but wound up with a Vespa. The original scooter company. The name, the look. The feel of the bike and attention to smaller details. I did get the chrome kit because of the mod scene influence and look but not going Quadrophenia crazy.

Why did I get the scooter? My wife and I shared 1 car for the past 3 years. The demands of our day jobs & lifestyle...we needed a 2nd vehicle! I commute within a 15 miles radius via surface streets for most of the week. A few times a week I might need to borrow the car or carpool with friends for events/things I'm doing. Most of the time, I can scoot.

I'm glad it took 13 years! I'd be scared of the stupid mistakes I would have made as a teenager or a person in their young 20's on a scooter! Hell, I had my bike 11 days and 126 miles before I had my first spill on the bike! Nothing wrong with me other than a sore shoulder and bit of road rash. The bike's a little more messed up than me. Thank goodness for insurance!

Modern Vespa and it's members helped reference me to many sites including the Motorcycle Safety Foundations Basic Rider Course, Proficient Motorcycling by David Houghs, dealerships. Places to find discounted gear/equipment locally and online for myself and the scooter...soon enough, once I get my bike back and fixed I'll even have other people to ride/share stories with and hang out with locally!

Get on a Scooter, test ride it and really think about your needs. If you are deciding to ride a motorcycle of some sort, do you REALLY need that James Dean Rebel Without a Clue motorcycle for your lifestyle??? Or is a Modern scooter really more of what you need?
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

My Buddy is my first scooter. I grew up riding a Yamaha Mini-Enduro from Jr. High into High School around the woods of Brecksville, Ohio. Always had a blast. I don't really know why I never continued with some other form of two-wheeled transportation after that. I probably never felt confident enough to get out into traffic. Which is strange, because I've never had a problem riding a bicycle in traffic.

Anyway, I did always feel envious of people riding motorcycles and such. But while I got to the point where I wanted to take the challenge of riding in traffic, I couldn't reconcile the various motorcycle styles with who I am. I'm not a Harley guy, I'm not a Ninja guy and other cruiser motorcycles seemed like they wanted to be Harleys (Maybe with the exception of Triumphs).

For some reason, I woke up to the scooter thing last summer and said "that's it!". It was like this alternate universe had opened up to me, even though it had been there all along. Not very mainstream and a good size on which to re-enter the world of motorized two-wheelers. I spent about 9 months cogitating on which to get... classic two stroke manual-shift Vespa-style? Twist-n-go? I came to the conclusion that what I really wanted to do was ride and not wrench so much right off the bat. So the Buddy was the logical choice for me based upon strong dealer support, quality and affordability.

And now I am re-experiencing that same joy I had years ago! Once again having a blast on two wheels! Which is what it is all about for me.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'd Loved scooters since I was a kid in the '60's my teen years living on Long Island my parents would never let me buy one. Come foward 30 years and after a divorce I'm vacationing in Chintique Va. amd I rent e "Moskito" for a day and fall in love again with scootering, start looking into buying one and I fall in love with Stella, my kids call it a "Mid-life" thing. So I buy my son a 50cc metropolitian because he needed transportation and he liked it. I still love Stella, haven't gotten one yet, now I like the looks of the Italia Buddy..... I'm so confused! Any suggestions? At $3.00 + gallion for fuel anything sure beats 18mpg of my Jeep right now.......
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Best advice I got for narrowing the field of scooters for purchase:
Sit on one and test ride it. Only you will know which one "feels" right to you.

I liked the Series Italia, test rode one. Not bad. A bit too zippy for me off the line on intial throttle twist.

I test rode a Piaggio Fly 150 in leiu of the LX150 Vespa I wanted. The dealer didn't really care if I dumped the fly, but would have HATED me if I dumped the LX. No dump, just a precaution. I then test rode a GT 200 or 250, can't remember. Just too heavy and WAY too much zip off intial throttle twist! I felt the bigger bike was controlling me, not me controlling it.

For me, the name Vespa and the look/feel of the black LX won out over the buddy. Still love the buddy and IF I can get my wife hooked...I'd love for her to have a buddy though I think she likes the Vespa's. We'll see.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ellen wrote:2001 Eton Beamer 50cc. Great scooter. Thing was built like a Mack truck.

Never thought much about getting one. But I was talked into it. :)

Image[/img]
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okay, Poli—really need to see more pics of all you've done to your scoot. Lookin' crazy!

Did you remove the fender to mount the ornament? I've had a bunch of various ones watched on eBay but have been gun shy about actually mounting one.

I saw a Roketa yesterday with a crazy giant eagle on the front fender. (I mean, it was still a Roketa, but at least it had that...)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Okay, Poli—really need to see more pics of all you've done to your scoot. Lookin' crazy!

Did you remove the fender to mount the ornament? I've had a bunch of various ones watched on eBay but have been gun shy about actually mounting one.

I saw a Roketa yesterday with a crazy giant eagle on the front fender. (I mean, it was still a Roketa, but at least it had that...)
Bwa ha ha! I've been a big slacker about posting pics, I know. I've added three mods, and all have been completely silly. I mean, really! The mirrors were an eBay score. I clamped them to my chrome front rack using bike tire inner tubing for cushion and protection. I thrifted the Mack truck hood ornament at my favorite flea market for $15.

I did remove the two side screws to the fender to allow for some flexibility when drilling the holes, but it looked to be too much a PITA to remove the fender totally. I screwed Mack in using lock-tite, because that sucker is HEAVY. If you look carefully, you can see the scratches from where Mack it my fender before I used the lock-tite...the vibrations shook a screw off! I need to find some sort of foam or rubber bumper for Mack's front paws, because the conking he makes is annoying, and my scooter mechanic friend is worried that I might could crack the fender plastic, eventually.

And here's the third:

This one dude in HCSC put a cool bike horn on his Big Ruckus, so I kinda copied him. Mine is light as a feather, since it's all plastic. The thing kept on getting in my way when I had it attached to the windshield, so I have it dangling from the signal wire. DO NOT DO THIS WITH A METAL HORN. Too heavy -- might bust your wire!
ModBud #442
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Too Cool! That MACK hood ornament totally rocks, Poli! Love it! :clap:
Roswell

Post by Roswell »

This is my first scooter. I rode motorcycles for years and even raced motocross when I was younger. But this has been the most fun I've had on 2 wheels in years!
Attachments
scooter 056.jpg
scooter 056.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
scooter 049.jpg
scooter 049.jpg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Oh, great. You really got 250koala started now. We've got an English bulldog, and absolutely love that critter. Now she sees the Mack bulldog and she's howling that she's gotta have one!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

azpenguin wrote:Oh, great. You really got 250koala started now. We've got an English bulldog, and absolutely love that critter. Now she sees the Mack bulldog and she's howling that she's gotta have one!
It's HEAVY as all get out! One of the screws has fallen out three times, leaving deep gouges in the fender where Mack has slid around on the way to the hardware store. :x

I am loathe to "touch-up" the scratches, because of Murphy's Law...once I do, I just *KNOW* the screw will come out and it will get scratched up all over again. So I'm giving this one last shot, and if the screw comes loose again, I'll be totally replacing either the fender, or the fender crest.

But yeah, it sure was a cute idea! :roll:
ModBud #442
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Keys wrote:A 1963 V90 Vespa. I have ALWAYS dug scooters. I think it was the sensuous curves of the Vespa that first got my attention...back when I was maybe 5 years old. Guess I've always had a weakness for sensuous curves...

--Keys 8)
Well, that more or less confirms that you are male :-)
Keys

Post by Keys »

Not that I really needed confirmation, but thanks...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
250koala

Post by 250koala »

Maybe I can mount one on the front rack or something. Hmmm
corey

Post by corey »

my first scoot was the Kymco ZX50 pictured below with my wife and i smiling widely on it a few months ago... she was stolen a few weeks ago and has been replaced by my new love - the orange buddy 50... i'm far happier with the buddy... it actually starts every single time and gets going right away... the ZX50 had its engine rebuilt a few times and wouldn't start very often and even if it did it would take 10mins to warm up and hit 30mph... i'm very very very happy with the buddy... have i mentioned i'm happier with the buddy? :)

StLScoot

My new Buddy 125 Italia is my first scoot!

Post by StLScoot »

Just brought her home this afternoon, even took a few hours off work to zip around the city! Also, unfortunately, spilled her, too, running a few drills with my dad (a longtime motorcyclist). No worries...just a few scrapes on me and the bike. Kind of glad to have the first scuff out of the way for both of us, and needless to say, my learning curve has grown quickly!

I had hoped to post a picture below (from my friend's iPhone--he had to show off his new toy when I showed up with mine!), but am having a hard time resizing it so the forum will allow. Will try to add soon.
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

Used to ride my Dads Sears Allstate 3 speed Scooter a bit (1971)...a friend brought a Moped back from Germany in 1972...1981 I bought a 1968 Honda CT 90 for college (a real tuff brute)...1984 a Honda 1000 CBR...1998 a Yamaha 650 Cruiser...2000 a Yamaha YZF 600 R...now looking at a simple scooter...just a Buddy
Founder of www.LOSTKJs.com ... Jeep Liberty Forum

Lambretta UNO 150cc 4 Stroke...Hope I can still hang around here!

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
Brunty

Post by Brunty »

this buddy is my first scooter. i bought it because ive always wanted a scooter and the buddy seemed like a good first scooter.

i should have taken the riding course though, bc i crashed my buddy last sunday riding down a hill in the rain. i wasn't sure what i should have done though, the light was turning yellow and if id kept going i would have run a red light. i braked too hard and slid out sorry to get off topic.... but im sad i crashed my first scooter :(
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Dude, you okay?!

Sorry to hear about the scoot crash! I feel your pain on that. I'm *hoping* to get mine back next week. It's almost been 2 solid months of no riding!
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

my first scooter was a 87 honda elite 80 it was willed to me by my grandfather somehow he knew how much fun i would have on it :lol:
only problem is it would only do 45 im a fatty. so i got the buddy and now its all good.
Brunty

Post by Brunty »

yeah, im fine. i have a huge bruise on my elbow but thats about it... crashing was scary though... i haven't ridden since even though the scooter is mostly ok besides the right brake handle being bent

should i take it to a shop to have engine, etc. checked out before i ride it again?? i crashed going about 25 miles an hour.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Well, the brake handle issue NEEDS to be resolved!

It wouldn't hurt to have them give it a looksy over. If they find something wrong, you can then decide to pay for it to get fixed or put it off. I'd rather know if there was something wrong. That's just me. At the least, buy a new brake handle and switch it out. That way you can at least scoot again!

I cannot lie, I'll be a bit apprehensive on left hand turns but right now walking/carpooling/riding the bus is wearing thin! I WANT my scooter back just so I can...scoot!