How was your commute today?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Good ride this morning in the semi-dark, same thing this evening. Great day to break in my new Tour Master Saber Jacket. The gals at work were bringing their friends over to knock on the shoulder and elbow armor.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Tikka Masala wrote:Congrats polianarchy! I saw your intro post on the Hostile City SC Yahoo group today. Welcome.

I'm a moderator over on sister site Modern Vespa and local to you so I wanted to say hi. We have a great bunch of scooterist in Philly. Take advantage of this weather to get your practice up and when you are ready I hope you join us on a Sunday ride sometime.

Tom
Howdy, Tom! Thanks very much for the welcome. Ah, yes...Modern Vespa! A grrrl can dream, can't she? I'll get one of those soon enough. :wink:

I practiced all day on Sunday, and I would have done on Saturday too, but the Mummers called. I still need to gain some confidence, and I MOS DEF need to practice making turns.... :oops: I hope I can join y'all soon! My goal is to be "good enough" at group riding in time for the ID7 rally.

See you soon!
Poliana
ModBud #442
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

polianarchy wrote:I practiced all day on Sunday, and I would have done on Saturday too, but the Mummers called. I still need to gain some confidence, and I MOS DEF need to practice making turns.... :oops: I hope I can join y'all soon! My goal is to be "good enough" at group riding in time for the ID7 rally.
See you soon!
Poliana
Two secrets to turns. The first is to always look where you want to go, not at the approaching curb. The second secret to turns is leaning. If you're going wide in a turn, don't let up on the throttle - that makes it worse. You need to lean harder.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Got my Buddy back yesterday with a clean bill of health!! :D :D (Though she still sounds a bit off to me. :? Maybe just my imagination :roll:) Still some ice on the roads this morning, but nice and sunny!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lobsterman wrote:Two secrets to turns. The first is to always look where you want to go, not at the approaching curb. The second secret to turns is leaning. If you're going wide in a turn, don't let up on the throttle - that makes it worse. You need to lean harder.
Thanks, lobsterman! I've read both of those tips in the Hough books, but I just really need more practice implementing them. I think my trouble is that I'm so accustomed to riding a bike, and I'm confusing the two riding techniques.

I need to improve my leaning confidence some more. I did notice an improvement today, so I'm getting there! Luckily, I literally live and work on Broad Street, so I take 13th all the way up and 15th all the way back, turning twice each way. Ha! :wink:
ModBud #442
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

The Hough books are great, but nothing beats experience doing it (which he recommends in the books).

The Buddy can lean way over, enough to make sparks as many here can attest to. As long as the pavement is dry and in good condition, you can lean with confidence.

Of course, it's a good idea to wear all your gear. Even the best can go down if the world around them conspires against them enough (numbskull cagers, oil slicks, gravel, etc.)
Kevin
AYPWIP?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

polianarchy wrote:I think my trouble is that I'm so accustomed to riding a bike, and I'm confusing the two riding techniques.
The mechanics/technique of turning a bicycle and a scooter are the same! Both rely on counter-steering, it's just that on a bike you're so used to it you don't really think about what you're doing to make it turn- with time it will be the same on the Buddy.

Spending some time praciticing in a parking lot (preferably empty or low traffic) will greatly accelerate your learning curve, especially as you won't have to worry about errant cagers! Just set up a little course with some empty cans or other markers, and practice making turns at gradually increasing speeds (and also from stopped). And while you're there, you may as well practice braking too! :wink: I think Hough describes some exercises in his book(s).

Have fun! 8)
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

polianarchy wrote:I think my trouble is that I'm so accustomed to riding a bike, and I'm confusing the two riding techniques.
I know that feeling! :D While they function on the same principle, to your muscle memory it is VERY different. That's why even experienced riders are more likely to crash within the first six months on a new ride. Just remember your habits will determine what you do in a panic, so keep practicing till you don't have to think about it anymore. Otherwise your muscle memory from the bike might take over but not be adequate for controling the heavier scooter when you need the most control. :shock: Now, when I go back to the mountain bike it feels so light and nimble! 8)

Sounds like you've done your homework, but just as a reminder. Another thing to watch out for in transition from bike to scooter is to make sure you are habitually using both brakes. The front brake is where you get most of your stopping power. On my bike I rely too heavily on the back brake (cause I'm always headed down some knobby hill and trying to keep from going over the handle bars), but on the scooter the front brake is what's going to save your a** in a quick stop.
Elm Creek Smith

Thirty degrees this morning in the dark but not bad. Fifty degrees and sunny this afternoon on the ride home. I have one or two more days at the most before the Arctic comes sweeping down the plains.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

A little chilly at 22 degrees, but not bad. Some spots with piles of road salt or whatever from the panic reaction to yesterday's snow forecast (it didn't materialize except for about 5 minutes of freezing rain).

Felt good to ride again after two days on the bus.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Cold! I just looked it up, and it's 33F outside. I think I was right about not riding when it's below freezing. And now I know that my gear (gloves, jacket, fog-shielded helmet) is good enough for winter. But this morning was my limit, unless I start putting on tights or longjanes underneath my jeans. :? Brrrr....
ModBud #442
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

polianarchy wrote:...this morning was my limit, unless I start putting on tights
I highly recommend Nike Pro Winter Tight for that purpose. They're made to wear under sports uniforms and such, but they do a great job as an additional layer for riding in cold weather without adding bulk.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lobsterman wrote:
polianarchy wrote:...this morning was my limit, unless I start putting on tights
I highly recommend Nike Pro Winter Tight for that purpose. They're made to wear under sports uniforms and such, but they do a great job as an additional layer for riding in cold weather without adding bulk.
Unless Nike suddenly teamed up with Lane Bryant, I doubt they will come in my size. :roll: Actually, seems like the Nike.com store is out of the winter tights in any size! We're ALL screwed!

But really, any tights will do. Being a femme-polianarchy, I have a cache of tights at my disposal. :wink:
ModBud #442
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Morning: low 20's yesterday, high 20's today.
Afternoon: 40 yesterday, hopefully above 50 today. I need to get some riding in because the arctic front sweeps in Thursday night with more snow. So, I've been riding. Dodging icy spots, deep water from melting snow, mag chloride and sand.

We're only in January and this is already the worst winter I've ever experienced in over 20 years in Denver. Hopefully we come out of single digits by Monday.

I'll typically ride unless it's well below 20 degrees in the morning. I guess 15 is about my limit, but only for the same number of minutes.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

polianarchy wrote:Actually, seems like the Nike.com store is out of the winter tights in any size!
Any good sporting goods store would have them, that's how I got mine.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/searc ... o%20winter

It's only one approach, but the idea of layers to fight cold is valid in general. I also wear a sweatshirt over my work shirt and under my armored riding jacket (zipped in liner there too). When it's real cold some silk glove liners help even under winter riding gloves.

I did decide this morning that I need to get a balaclava - the turtle fur neck thingy keeps my neck warm but isn't enough on really cold days to keep my face warm inside the helmet.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
smorris

Post by smorris »

I'm done for the winter. This morning we had 1" of snow and 1-1/2" of salt... :roll: I don't think we'll get a thaw and enough rain to wash that off until late March/early April.

Guess it s time to yank that engine! (190cc kit going in so I can at least hope to keep up with my Cleveland Buddy buds. :D )
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
Elm Creek Smith

Another great day to be commuting by Budd. Mid 30's this morning, low 50's this afternoon. Only one more good day before the next winter storm hits.

I bought some new winter gloves today since my fingers were getting cold. I've also wrapped my scarf around my chin and tied it in back before pulling on my helmet. Looks kinda funky with the tails of the plaid scarf sticking out behind my helmet, but it keeps me warm enough.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

Great stimulating ride to work today. Cool temps down in the low 30's. The day is supposed to be beautiful with temps on the way home reaching the low 50's. Great day for a ride to work.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

My ride was mostly uneventful, which still makes it way way way better than riding the bus. :D

I had somebody step off the sidewalk into my lane to cross the road before I reached them. Not the first time. I might post a new thread about it.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

26F and sunny. :D
GalacticFattPatt

You are hard core

Post by GalacticFattPatt »

You lot are super hard core. I haven't ridden in 4 days to it being in the 40's and 50's. Today it finally got up to the upper 60's lower 70's and I missed how much I love my ride to work.
Evil will always prevail, cause Good is just dumb!
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

lobsterman wrote:My ride was mostly uneventful, which still makes it way way way better than riding the bus. :D
I must say I was impressed when I saw this orange buddy pull up along side me yesterday in downtown traffic (Lobsterman) and I looked at the outside temp on my dash.

Dave
Elm Creek Smith

Nice enough morning if you like wind. I couldn't get faster than 50 indicated. All the flags were standing straight out pointed right at me. This evening the wind was at my back! It was quiet!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

i've decided that as long as it's dry and above freezing i will be riding betty. the last few days have been great! mid 30's for my riding. i now know i need to get some insulated gloves. i have some armored joe rocket leather gloves, and even with thin fleece gloves on inside them my hands get chilled pretty quickly. wearing a fleece shirt under my mesh armored jacket (wind liner in, of course),turtlefur and ski pants on over jeans. not too bulky, warm and toasty except for hands!
ebcspace

commute coolness

Post by ebcspace »

lobsterman wrote: I did decide this morning that I need to get a balaclava - the turtle fur neck thingy keeps my neck warm but isn't enough on really cold days to keep my face warm inside the helmet.
you are wearing a full-face helmet at 22 degrees, yes ?

realized one day that the most freezing part of me that was really making me cold was my face! then invested in a full-face helmet.

of course I can't really compare the socal 40-50 degree "coldness" to your coldness boat !

after I arrive at work, I splash my face off with some cold water. feels warm after the ride!
scoot on!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Even with a FF helmet, adding a balaclava makes a big difference! A lot of warmth is otherwise lost by wind blowing over your neck. I think it adds 10 degrees to my "comfort" zone.
Elm Creek Smith

Thursday night at midnight it was up to 64 degrees. This morning when I drove the Cruiser to work it was raining. About 10:30 am one of the security guards said it was starting to ice up. At 3:30 pm our fearless leader sent a note to the whole building saying they were closing at 4:30 pm and would start letting people go at 4:00 pm. Since that's my regular quitting time, it did me a fat lot of good. Started the Cruiser and spent about ten minutes while it was warming up chipping enough ice off the windows and rear views so I could see to drive. The highway where everyone drives 75+ that I avoid on my Budd was packed with folks defying death at 30 miles per as the sleet and freezing rain continued. I stopped for gas and got home before my wipers froze up again. The temperature had dropped forty degrees from midnight by 5:15 pm. It's 11:52 pm and the temperature is holding in the low 20's, and...

...it's still sleeting. It looks like snow until you get out in it. The best part? It's to continue through Saturday and intensify Sunday until it ends about 6:00 pm. Lows next week are forecast for single digits. I figure I'm grounded for at least a week before I can start riding again.

This sucks.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lobsterman

Re: commute coolness

Post by lobsterman »

ebcspace wrote:you are wearing a full-face helmet at 22 degrees, yes ?
I wear a full face helmet, and have a turtle fur neck warmer (which I highly recommend) -
http://www.cyclespecialtiesinc.com/esho ... 146S_N.htm

Still, at 25 degrees or so, enough wind gets through the gaps to chill my face.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Elm Creek Smith

Turtle fur, huh? I gotta get me one a these!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lou76

Post by lou76 »

yo, 15 miles or so in 25 deg is chilly... dont know exactly how cold it was in phoenix at 1145pm, because i dont really want to feed any psychological effects of cold... hands are really the only thing cold, though...
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Foggy & wet, so I took the bus! :(
ModBud #442
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

What commute? It's a holiday! :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:What commute? It's a holiday! :P
Maybe for some, but not all of our employers are so progressive that they recognize MLK Day. Ha, actually my deadlines are gnorant of holidays so I had to come in anyways. Clear but windy and in the 40s in SoCal this morning.

I made the commute around 7am so was able to blaze across relatively traffic-free streets. What I did discover was that the other commuters out there were also using their early starts to haul ass, so it kind of felt like a grand prix.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Had to commute, but the rainy season in Cincinnati apparently started on Friday so we had a miserably wet weekend and no riding for me today. :cry:

Maybe tomorrow. :)
Kevin
AYPWIP?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

18 or 21F depending on what reporting method you trust, but still way fun passing the bus I would have taken if I hadn't ridden. 8)

If I had to do this temp a lot I think I might need a heated face shield, I had a few miles where my breath was freezing on the inside of it.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

21F cold! I had to baby the electric start after not riding for four days, but I didn't have to kickstart! Woo! And for once, I was the only [motorized, non-bicycle] two-wheeler out there. Scooters & motorcyclists don't wave in Philly (unless they are with Tikka Masala?)!

I don't think I'm going to be able to ride tomorrow...it's supposed to rain/snow/sleet/whatever. :cry: And anyway, my tights chafe. :oops:
ModBud #442
casey

Post by casey »

Houston is shut down by an ice storm, so I didn't have to bus to work. Hooray for HISD shutting down its schools! My arm is still too gimpy to ride, but I miss it so.
Every effort for progress, for enlightenment, for science, for religious, political, and economic liberty, emanates from the minority, and not from the mass. - Emma Goldman
Keys

Post by Keys »

Nine degrees this morning at 2:30 when I went to work. Balaclava, Z1R Metro helmet, T-shirt, 2 sweatshirts, Genuine Scooters jacket, woolen mexican poncho, winter gauntlets, jeans and work boots rounded out the ensemble. As long as there's not much ice on the roads, I'll ride...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Elm Creek Smith

Yesterday, I drove my car due to the ice (see pictures elsewhere). The first three miles were at 10 mph (not just me, everybody! We topped out at about 20-25 even on the highway. Today, still in the car, the first mile was at 10 mph, the second was at 20. The choke point getting on the highway was like riding on rails at 10 mph due to the ruts. Some idiots wanted to run 70 mph like it was all dry, but there were patches of ice that kept me running 45-50, slower when the ice tried to narrow the lanes. This afternoon was scary with the morons wanting to act like it was all dry, and the non-drivers running 20 mph everywhere.

I want it all to be gone so I can scoot again! My scooter route to work is horribly rutted and has chugholes in the ice. Hell, I won't even drive my car on it!

Then, tonight on the news, they shared with us the likely potential for five to eight inches of snow on Saturday!

So much for global warming.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lou76

Post by lou76 »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:So much for global warming.

ECS
as an intelligent man, i am sure that you do, indeed know that extreme weather this sort is, actually, symptomatic of global warming...
thank god for arizona... when the "cold snap" hits, it means that it dips below freezing for TWO WHOLE NIGHTS IN A ROW!!!!!.... this midwestern boy is eating it up... still....
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

It's snowing hard. This wasn't supposed to happen until after 4pm, AFTER I got home from work today. Of course I rode in...I hate the bus!

Another librarian (who used to ride motorcycles) helped me roll Pinky Tuscadero into the rare book room in the basement! Only two law students and the mailroom clerk saw us. :oops:

HAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAH!!! :rofl:
ModBud #442
Elm Creek Smith

lou76 wrote:

ECS
as an intelligent man, i am sure that you do, indeed know that extreme weather this sort is, actually, symptomatic of global warming...
thank god for arizona... when the "cold snap" hits, it means that it dips below freezing for TWO WHOLE NIGHTS IN A ROW!!!!!.... this midwestern boy is eating it up... still....
In the '70's it was "the coming Ice Age!" The only thing sure about the climate is that it will change. Whether we're in a "global warming" cycle or not, I have serious doubts that mankind is responsible.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
lou76

Post by lou76 »

Elm Creek Smith wrote:
lou76 wrote:

ECS
In the '70's it was "the coming Ice Age!" The only thing sure about the climate is that it will change. Whether we're in a "global warming" cycle or not, I have serious doubts that mankind is responsible.

ECS
um..... ok...
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

polianarchy wrote:It's snowing hard. This wasn't supposed to happen until after 4pm, AFTER I got home from work today. Of course I rode in...I hate the bus!

Another librarian (who used to ride motorcycles) helped me roll Pinky Tuscadero into the rare book room in the basement! Only two law students and the mailroom clerk saw us. :oops:

HAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAH!!! :rofl:
Yeah, I've done this once or twice two. I bet on the forecast being right and ride in only to find it changing much earlier than fore-casted. So, I roll the scoot down the loading ramp into the basement of the library and into my video production studio. So now I'm wondering...what library in Philly has the rare book area in the basement? That's such a bad idea...

I was finally able to ride today. When I drove home last night, I scouted my normal routes to work for icy patches. The roads looked good so I figured if it wasn't too cold, I could ride today. When I left this morning it was 17 degrees and I was feeling every one of those degrees as I locked up the Buddy behind the library. It'll only be a tad better on the way home, maybe 25, but sunny. Hopefully things are starting to improve.
Andy

sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

i rode home in 22F, full throttle for 15 minutes last night. It was my longest highway ride to date! fortunately, i had about 8 layers on. i was surprised at how little the big trucks affected me. it's the gusty winds on bridges and stuff that do you in.

took the car today, because there is a chance of ice/snow for the commute home. :( but i'm hoping to go snow skiing this weekend. :D the demise of lower elevation ski resorts is one of the reasons i am so persistent about taking my scooter 8)
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Didn't go to work today, feeling pretty ill. I did have to get my expedited passport renewal sent today though, so ended up scooting from here to decent post office 3 or 4 miles away.

41F so a piece of cake. Nice to get out and ride for a few minutes.

My Stebel horn arrived this afternoon, now I just need some time and preferably warmer weather to paint and install the horn.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rajron

Post by rajron »

I didn’t go to work today but I have a morning class @ 10:30 – the temperature was about 32°F, overcast and with a breeze. I hate days like this because I know I will be driving my car and with school just starting there are very few parking spaces available much less near the school. So I park about a half mile away and notice the motorcycle parking lot was empty except for one orange Stella scooter, no other bikes.
So I thought that’s a brave tough soul.
After class I’m walking back to the car and there’s the scooterist – its not a big tough dude – it was a cute slight built girl! – maybe 20 years old – with jacket and stuff she couldn’t have weighed more than 110 lbs.
She made me feel weak.
Elm Creek Smith

The ice from last weekend's storm started melting today. What a mess! There's no scootering in this stuff. The good news is that the ice around the house softened enough for us to walk around the yard without falling or sliding uncontrollably downslope. The bad news is that we are under a winter storm watch for four to eight inches of snow.

So far this year, we had three inches of ice with ten and a half inches of snow on top of it on November 30. Then we had our four to six inches of sleet and below normal temperatures from last Friday to Sunday night. Today, it finally got back above freezing but will refreeze tonight. Same thing for tomorrow. The storm from the winter storm warning should get here around 7 am on Saturday morning.

I got sick at work today and came home around 11 am. I went into the garage this afternoon and ran the Budd until the autochoke kicked off. I may be grounded for another week if this keeps up.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.

"I aim to misbehave."
mybetty

Post by mybetty »

well, i have been riding pretty consistantly with the pretty weather, but today we had our first snow! yeah!! so beautiful...big fluffy flakes, and it's all gone now. so i should be able to ride tomorrow. yeah! and, i ordered my insulated gloves and they came in. but, i need to send them back because they are too big :cry: i think they sent me men's medium instead women's medium. and of course, by the time my gloves get here (again) it will probably be march and toasty warm! oh, well!
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

7 degrees above 0 at 7:00 this morning. I decided to ride in because it's supposed to warm up a bit this afternoon and stay sunny all day.

Imagine my surprise to actually see another scooter on my commute! Right at Zuni and 32nd, I was heading north and a silver Vespa LX or ET was heading south. I waved, they beeped. I'm wondering now, who else is crazy enough to be riding in Denver this morning?

If I don't hear from anyone here I may have to post something over on MV.
Andy