Buddy & Snow

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

Buddy & Snow

Post by lobsterman »

According to the atmospheric prognosticators of doom, we might see some snow here in Cincinnati tonight or thereabouts. If not tonight, the first snow can't be far off.

My question is this:

Has anybody ridden their Buddy in snow yet?

I am really curious about it. I am tempted to take the advice my father gave me when learning to drive a car in winter way back in the tail end of the 70's. He said "Take it to a big old emtpy parking lot full of snow and drive around. See what happens when you brake, when you turn,..."

That was when I found out that a late 60's VW Beetle was great for doing doughnuts in the snow.

I really want to ride whenever I can, and while ice will surely deter me, what about a fresh snowfall?
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rajron

Post by rajron »

I don’t think it’s a wise idea to ride in the snow – packed might be ok but deep loose snow, or ice will just mean you will be going down – need front wheel traction to stay upright!
This morning it was difficult for the cars to go in straight line and stop I couldn’t imagine riding in that stuff with just 2 wheels – we are in a relatively warm climate compared to our northern friends – you guys must have it real tough.
vitaminC

Re: Buddy & Snow

Post by vitaminC »

lobsterman wrote:Has anybody ridden their Buddy in snow yet?
No, but like rajron I wouldn't recommend it.

That being said, if you try it, be sure to wear some heavy-duty boots, as you'll be using them as skids to help keep you upright! :wha: :mrgreen:
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I haven't and I won't. There's a big difference between spinning a car in a vacant lot and dropping a bike. No matter where you drop the bike, damage will be done to the bike and possibly to you. The only advantage to practicing in a lot is that there's nobody behind you, ready to run you over.

There are so many reasons to avoid riding in snow, hopefully you'll resist the urge to try. But, if you must, make sure you are fully geared up and have someone with you to help out if anything goes wrong. Might be a good idea to have a pickup truck handy as well because your Buddy may need a lift to your dealership.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

And if you really must ride in that nasty white stuff, consider aquiring a Ural. Check the downloads area for a cool video of a Ural in the snow 8)

Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Unless you've got special snow and ice tires, and can go out and buy a new bike, don't do it.
- Bryce
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Thanks everyone.

(holds hand up)

I will not ride in snow.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Keys

Post by Keys »

I would. And have. But then again, I'm not to be viewed as normal...nor an example to your children.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I think driving in the snow is up there with taking risk as foolish as drunken scooting. Of course there are people that will do either and many will survive. But being on two wheels requires much more risk managment that with a car. I will feel bad enough if I wreck in a situation that was not my fault. I would feel like a fool if I did some thing real risky and something like that happned. How would the people that care about me forgive me. Just today a front came in (probably the same one lobsterman speaks of) I got out on the road and nearly got blown over. Turned the scoot around and parked it.

Still L man, my heart breaks with winter coming. I can stand the cold, but the ice and high winds (I work and live near the lake) will ground me. To think I lived in FL for 14 years w/o a scoot . Of course as other threads have addressed, the FL drivers are out of their minds! So all regions have their cross to bear-in our case it it winter. Last june selling one of our cars for 2 Bud's seemed like a grand idea...now...I guess I better get a bus pass! :cry:
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

I would also recommend againt riding in hail. I've done that a couple of times and besides being slippery, it is downright painful! :cry:
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

vitaminC wrote:And if you really must ride in that nasty white stuff, consider aquiring a Ural Check the downloads area for a cool video of a Ural in the snow
Being as this is my first winter with a sidecar, I'm actually looking forward to snow!
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
valbuddy okc

Post by valbuddy okc »

We just had 7" of snow dumped on us here in OKC, and neither of us wanna ride in it. Actually want to, because it'd be interesting, but don't wanna fall and scratch my beautiful Buddy! :cry:
Coach B

Post by Coach B »

I took my Buddy out into the snow this afternoon. My new S83 tires had great grip on the snow. I could still slip sideways, but it was controlable if I keept the speed under 20 mph. I also kept my feet sliding on the ground. I found that I could readjust for any slippage of the scooter with steering and foot pressure on the ground. I'm not sure if I want to go to work 6 miles away at 15 mph, but it was fun in my neighborhood.
The Coach Scoots
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Our snow, 10.6 inches, fell on top of 3 inches of ice ending about 3 am Friday morning. Our street is now icy ruts that scrape the bottom of my PT Cruiser. (We're in the county and no one plows our streets.)

Think I'll wait until the streets are clear, thanks.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

If for no other reason, I wouldn't ride in the snow because I see how stupid most cagers are in the stuff...

I mean, not only are you going to be in much more difficult riding conditions with decreased visibility, but THEY are going to be out there on the slippery stuff as well.

It's easy enough to get hit on a beautiful, clear day in essentially perfect conditions -- believe me! -- I wouldn't want to take chances with those crazies in the snow...
Huh? What just happened?
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

AxeYrCat wrote:If for no other reason, I wouldn't ride in the snow because I see how stupid most cagers are in the stuff...
It's easy enough to get hit on a beautiful, clear day in essentially perfect conditions -- believe me!
AYC,

You're right, just foolish thinking posted to the web for all to see on my part. :oops:

Are you back in the saddle, all healed, etc.? Hope so.
Kevin
AYPWIP?