Scooter Trailer

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NarMeowZippy

Scooter Trailer

Post by NarMeowZippy »

So, I'm thinking of getting a trailer for my Buddy. Since I have the 50cc, I have a harder time getting it to Seattle for scoot events and rides. Anyone own one and has advice on what to get? I was thinking of getting something like this:
Attachments
18_1.jpg
18_1.jpg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
It's Scooter-rific!!!
xkennx

Re: Scooter Trailer

Post by xkennx »

NarMeowZippy wrote:So, I'm thinking of getting a trailer for my Buddy. Since I have the 50cc, I have a harder time getting it to Seattle for scoot events and rides. Anyone own one and has advice on what to get? I was thinking of getting something like this:
I own a (and also the dealer for) Versahaul and I love it. If your buying a carrier make sure you get one of the better built versions (spend the money)

I have had customers over the yrs show up with cheap versions and homemade ones and I wouldnt trust strapping anything to it let alone a scooter. I had one customer that bought one on ebay that broke while he was driving 45mph and it totaled out the scooter.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

Good to know!

Do you guys ship out of state?
It's Scooter-rific!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What kind of car/truck/SUV do you have? You should be sure it can handle the Tilt-a-Rack plus almost 300lbs. of scoot. Check it out here.

We'll be renting a truck or van or something like that for the trip to Vegas. Maybe buying a ramp...?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I checked out the versa hauler but I chose the tilt a rack and love it. One person can load and unload. no seperate ramp to secure or loose. As advised check your hitch rating. Both my hitches are class III, One rated for 500lbs toung the other for 700 lbs. Don't forget that it sticks out a bit giving it a cantelever on bumps!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I drive a Subaru Stationwagon and it has a hitch. I'm actually not sure what the rating is on it. I'll have to check.
I like the idea of not needing a second person to get the scoot on the ramp.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
jess

Post by jess »

NarMeowZippy wrote:I drive a Subaru Stationwagon and it has a hitch. I'm actually not sure what the rating is on it. I'll have to check.
I like the idea of not needing a second person to get the scoot on the ramp.
I'm nearly certain that your hitch is a Class I, which is not sufficient to hold a Versahauler or a Tilt-A-Rack. Generally, a Class III hitch will be bolted directly to the frame, and these days only pickup trucks, RVs, and some SUVs have actual frames -- the rest are unibody construction, which can't accommodate the strain.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I know mine is a Class I. Which is only suited for 75lb hitch weight. Good for pretty much nothing. Too bad, cause this would be great to have.
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

It looks like I have a Class II hitch. So, that should be good for 300lbs.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
xkennx

Post by xkennx »

The versahaul VH-50

I designed for 50cc and light larger cc bikes (fits both class II and class III hitches). Also room to tie more stuff to the carrier. When you decide which one you get make sure to pick up a pair oc caynon dancer straps for the headset.

Versahaul are drop-shipped from the factory so any dealer can sell you one. Im out of town today at an autoauction or I would give you a pricelist for them.
06 Gen Scooters Buddy 125 (sold)
05 Gen Scooters Stella w/sidecar (sold)
05 Vespa ET8
80 Vespa P200 w/ Polini 208
80 Vespa P200 w/ Malossi 210
74 Vespa Sprint 125
74 Vespa Primaveria 125 (broke)
56 Labretta LD 125 (sold)