Lock

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Blackeyes24

Lock

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I mentioned in one of my other posts I was having trouble finding a cable lock that would be long enough at my office. I think this is what I am looking for and others may be interested: http://www.masterlockcycle.com/product_python.shtml. If I am reading this correctly it is a 6' adjustable cable lock but I can order and interchangable 12' cable for it. I cant really tell how the cable is interchangable but it says it is. I wish it came in a 1/2 or 5/8 size instead of a 3/8 size but I guess this really just a deterent anyway. If they really want my scooter they ccan probably cut through 5/8 just as easily as 3/8. It seems to be cheapest at this site: http://www.bikelock.com/Products.asp?Ta ... on%20Locks. If anyone knows anything more about this product please let me know.
Javarod

Post by Javarod »

I've helped my dealer set this up, so I can explain it. Basically the lock and cable are two seperate pieces that you join when locking up the scoot, so all you're doing is buying a spare cable in a greater length.
Javarod
G! Buckleshoe
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Thanks for the info. Since you've encountered this lock before would you consider it a reliable solution to locking up your scooter? Also can you tell me maybe how heavy the whole set up is? I was considering the 30ft but thought it would be too heavy and bulky. I also think if I have to park so far that I need a 30ft cable to lock up then there is a problem. At any rate I am curious. Thanks

Sarah
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

If you want to best chain lock for the money (you can spend more on some German locks) get the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit:
http://tinyurl.com/c8ns

or one of the New York models:
http://tinyurl.com/m6hj9
http://tinyurl.com/nrhu
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Thanks for the info Mike but my issue is 6ft isnt long enough at my work parking lot. I have a 7ft cable lock with just a masterlock on it and it is only long enough in one particular parking space which i cant guarantee will always be available. I am looking at the python because it is adjustable.
Javarod

Post by Javarod »

Blackeyes24 wrote:Thanks for the info. Since you've encountered this lock before would you consider it a reliable solution to locking up your scooter? Also can you tell me maybe how heavy the whole set up is? I was considering the 30ft but thought it would be too heavy and bulky. I also think if I have to park so far that I need a 30ft cable to lock up then there is a problem. At any rate I am curious. Thanks

Sarah
Thirty foot is prolly overkill for you, that's what they use in the store to secure the scoots for the night. As to weight, I'm not sure, even thirty feet of cable doesn't way that much, and the lock is maybe twice as heavy as your average padlock, but I haven't handeled the whole bundle at once. I've been quite impressed by it, and plan to buy one for my next scoot, likely the twelve foot and carry both with me.
Javarod
G! Buckleshoe
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

I would be concerned about stretching a cable out too far from my scooter. If someone is wondering around, or parking nearby, they might trip on an extralong cable - I smell a lawsuit cooking. You might want to consider locks that will provide a visual deterent, so your scooter doesn't have to be actually chained to anything in particular. You can see some options on Aerostich.com http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Sec ... c-303.html . They have disc locks, brake locks, alarms, etc. If you are in a really high-theft area, you might consider a cover that has grommets on the bottom, to padlock the sides of the cover together. If you put enough barriers in the way, most thieves will walk away - too much effort. Most criminals are inherently lazy, so if something is going to involve work to steal, they'll just move on.

Jody
RabidChild

Post by RabidChild »

I bought one of the Python locks the other day and it seems pretty solid. I like that if I'm parked close to something I can adjust it and not leave a bunch of extra cable lying around. It will also fit through the hole in the rim. I bought a thicker cable with the loops on the ends and a padlock and that didn't fit through the rim.

The one I got is exactly like the one in your first link except it came with an 8' cable. I think the 12' might work but 30' seems like way too much especially if you are hauling it around with you. If you have Lowes home improvement stores around check them out. That's where I found the 8' Python and it was only $17.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Lots of choices here, too:

http://www.lockitt.com/
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I would be concerned about stretching a cable out too far from my scooter. If someone is wondering around, or parking nearby, they might trip on an extralong cable - I smell a lawsuit cooking.
I am not really thinking of stretching too far the problem is the way the parking spaces are set up down here. There are usually those cement parking stops in a space about 6-12" from the actual curb and then the trees and signs are usually 18-24" from the curb. With my current 7ft cable I end up being at least a ft short, often more. I think the 12ft will be perfect. If you think about it you use at least a 12-18" of cable if you wrap it around the actual frame and not just through the hole in the rim which on a 7 ft cable only leaves you with 2-3ft on either side. All I know for sure is I always seem to be just a little bit short when I find a space. With 12 ft that is adjustable I think I will be good. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Sarah
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

RabidChild wrote:The one I got is exactly like the one in your first link except it came with an 8' cable. I think the 12' might work but 30' seems like way too much especially if you are hauling it around with you. If you have Lowes home improvement stores around check them out. That's where I found the 8' Python and it was only $17.
Was the one you got at lowes the one that you could change the cables on? Because the one on their website is just 6' and not interchangable. I guess I need to run over their and check it out. Home depot didnt have any of the pythons.
RabidChild

Post by RabidChild »

Blackeyes24 wrote:
RabidChild wrote:The one I got is exactly like the one in your first link except it came with an 8' cable. I think the 12' might work but 30' seems like way too much especially if you are hauling it around with you. If you have Lowes home improvement stores around check them out. That's where I found the 8' Python and it was only $17.
Was the one you got at lowes the one that you could change the cables on? Because the one on their website is just 6' and not interchangable. I guess I need to run over their and check it out. Home depot didnt have any of the pythons.
I don't see any way you can change the cable on the one I have, but from the pictures it looks exactly like the one that they say you can so I'm not sure.
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I went to Lowes last night and got the one you were talking about. It is the one where you can change the cable. I will do my best to explain. On the end that is attached it swivels. If you swivel it to the right point you can push the cable out and replace it with a new one. I dont know if that makes sense but if you look at it I think you will figure it out. I am still limited to one space at the office till i can get the 12ft cable but in that space I am able to make it more secure so i am happy. Thanks for the suggestion of Lowes.

Sarah
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Would it be more convenient to just buy 2, 8ft pythons and lock them both together when you need the extra length. You could even run the cable(s) through 2 different points on the bike as an added deterrent.
It might even stop a stupid crook if they cut the cable in a place where both heads were still attached to the cable that ran through the wheel.
I haven't been able to find the 12ft cable in stock anywhere and it costs more than the complete 8 footer.
germ

Post by germ »

Not sure on brand but lock'em up people. I had a honda stolen right in front of my house parked about 3 feet from the front door. Loosing your transportation blows. Lock'em up yo.