I can't believe what happened to me on my buddy today!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

creampuff

I can't believe what happened to me on my buddy today!!!

Post by creampuff »

So I'm riding to work about 2 pm today and while stopped at a red stop light a school bus comes up in the lane on my right. Nothing really to notice. Next thing I know I'm feeling liquid on my right shoulder and seeing it running down my face shield. I look over at the school bus and wads of paper are launching at me along with paper cups of liquid and ice. I was so Pi$$ed!!! After saluting the high schoolers (I passed the high school as the buses were leaving and they were near me on the road ever since the school) and hearing them laugh and scream more at me, I split the lane and rode up to the bus driver's window and proceeded to bang my hand on his window and beep my horn until he opened the window.

I then told the bus driver what happened and he seemed shocked. No more than me dude! He then proceeded to yell at the kids as I moved back into my lane thanks to the guy who had been behind me in traffic when it was happening.

I wish I had had the presence of mind to get the bus number...but the light changed and I just wanted to get away from the open windows of that bus! Luckily, nothing seeped through my jacket or helmet. Another good reason to wear gear if you were looking for one other than not being a skin donor or staying alive.

There have been so many articles in the various papers about town (Nashville TN) about the dangers of scooters. I personally believe it's my job to stay safe and ride well knowing I'm invisible to most every other driver. But this is ridiculous. I'm going to write a letter to the editor of our papers and go to the high school and report this behavior. I'm furious!!!!! :twisted:
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

That is absurd. I wish you had the number of the bus so those idiot kids could be reported to the police in some way. I wonder if you called the bus company, they might be able to track down the driver who talked to the guy on the scooter?

Trust me, if I was in the car behind you, I would have that info for you.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Kids like that are too immature for highschool, they should be in grade school and have their parents drive them to a place where they can learn some manners until they are mature enough to ride a bus properly.

Sorry to hear that happen to you, I wear a riding jacket and ff helmet too, the only thing ever thrown at me was a roll of red electrical tape. I was at a red light, and to the left of me, a construction worker was eating while playing with tape, he just tossed it at me and laughed, not a hard toss, but a nudge. Not sure why he threw it at me, but he did...
greenbuddy

Post by greenbuddy »

Insane!

I imagine they can track the bus down based on time of day and location. They seem to know where buses are down to the minute in our school district.

That could cause some real damage to a driver if his visibility got impaired because there was chocolate milk on his visor. Idiots.
Jrman

Post by Jrman »

I had a paper ball tossed my way one day while passing a big yellow school bus. Since then I don't go beside one where there is a risk that I will be stuck nest to it. When I do pass one now I speed up so I am not beside it for long..
Great Scooter Safety Site: http://www.highviz.org/
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

That has nothing to do with scooters being dangerous. It has to do with children being out of control. Gee, I wonder if they would get put in time out if caught. :P Poor little darlings were just having fun. Be more understanding or you might hurt their self esteem. :roll:

Little bastidges need a switch on their butts. Yes, I believe in it.
TonyF

Post by TonyF »

Too bad you had to get hit with that stuff. Yep, that is what bored bus riding high schoolers do.

It is juvenile and wrong (listen to me. In my younger days I did my share of stupid stuff) but a fact of life. Think of school buses as just another road hazard to avoid, like potholes and squirrels.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

And leaky septic systems on RV's
twoscoots

Post by twoscoots »

I don't know what the law is in Tennessee, but in Virginia it's a felony to throw something at an occupied vehicle. You definitely need to follow up with the school system administration, whether you've got a bus number or not. Also, I doubt the bus driver is going to be hesitant to dime out those kids.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Unless it was a substitute driver, usually the same driver is on the same bus the full school year. And the kids always ride on the same bus, that way the driver knows the kids and who gets off where.

Just call the school, transportation department, and very politely/nicely tell them what happened and where you where. Also send a letter/call the principal. They should have no problem finding what bus that was. If you want to take it further, talk to the police and ask them who is their police liason officer at the school (most public schools have one). Then talk to that cop and I guarantee you they will not take it lightly. Unless is a crappy school district.

That just bites :twisted:
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
Schwiering

Post by Schwiering »

Any chance you are going to rat out which HS this was?
UrbanBuddy82

Post by UrbanBuddy82 »

you should strap a shotgun to your back next time you ride, the little SOBs might think twice about throwing something at you...
creampuff

Post by creampuff »

Schwiering wrote:Any chance you are going to rat out which HS this was?
Sure,

It was an Overton HS bus. The incident happened in the north bound lanes on Franklin Road at the intersection with Berry Drive. I was in the left lane at a stop light and the bus pulled up on my right.

I reported it this morning to the Metro school's customer service center that deals with all things bus related. I'm supposed to get a call back within several working days with a "resolution". Not sure what that means. The person I talked with was actually very nice and agreed it should never have happened. I'm just glad I wasn't moving at the time since some of the liquid hit my faceshield I might have crashed in traffic. Now that I'm calmer about the whole thing, I'm still tempted to go talk to the principal of the school. I live in the neighborhood of the school and ride past it daily on the way to work downtown. Scary to think many of the high school kids on that bus probably have a driver's license. And the excuse that their just children doesn't fly with me. They're in high school and should know better. I would hope what they did was illegal as well.

I will definitely be avoiding school buses, but it's hard to do that stopped in traffic when they come up beside you. Maybe I looked too menacing in my all my gear, especially the big pink butterfly on each side of my FF helmet!
Schwiering

Post by Schwiering »

It was an Overton HS bus
I pass Overton all the time. My commute has always been before or after they are in school. Glad I have never encountered that kind of crap
I live in the neighborhood of the school
I am a Crieve Haller myself.

I hope the kids involved get punished in some way. The bus should be easy to identify, seeing as you alerted the diver.