Tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GenuineSlacker

Tires

Post by GenuineSlacker »

So, just wondering about how far everyone's gotten before having to get new tires on the buddy. I THINK (cause i really don't know how to tell) that I need new tires sometime in the near future. I'm right around 2500 miles now. Another problem I'm having as well is I can't seem to find a place that would be able to change them. I live in Houston and as far as I know none of the Vespa dealerships won't do it and none of the other place in the area either. Can anyone be of any assistance?
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
Keys

Post by Keys »

I know of a good place in Prescott, AZ and another in Tucson who will. Not much help, huh? Sorry.

Anyway, I have 3700 miles on mine now and the tires are still good. I expect another 1000 before I have to get new (particularly the rear...). I've been looking and haven't found exactly what I want yet. To be honest, the original tires seem to be a very good mix of decent performance and decent wear. Hard to find a tire that covers both fields...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
bullitt.buddy

Post by bullitt.buddy »

In the Scooter Smiths in the heights...........when I bought my buddy I asked him about it..........he will do any work needed on the buddy........Said it would be about 45 dollars for tire and labor......have to ask him about doing both tires though.........

www.scootersmith.net

713--869-4885

Hope this helps out a fellow Houstonian.

James
100 MPG, Sucka! That's why!
vitaminC

Re: Tires

Post by vitaminC »

GenuineSlacker wrote:So, just wondering about how far everyone's gotten before having to get new tires on the buddy. I THINK (cause i really don't know how to tell) that I need new tires sometime in the near future.
Why do you think you need new tires? Even super-grippy (i.e., wear out fast) motorcycle tires tend to last longer than 3k miles.

If it's handling funny, maybe it's an air pressure issue?
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Check my air pressure every few days, and im at about 2700 miles. I think I need new tires because yes, I've felt them slip just a bit every now and then, thought it might just be the road though. Also it was just another one of those things I didn't know about on my scoot, so I was curious as well...

I bought my scoot from Stephen, bullitt, but thanks. I've got all his info saved away.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

If you can, post up a pic of the tire. Or just take it to any local two-wheel shop and just have them look at it for you.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

So this is a pic of the rear tire, haven't felt trouble with the front
Attachments
Yeah, tires
Yeah, tires
Tires1.jpg (120.33 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
mmhmmm, tires
mmhmmm, tires
Tires2.jpg (98.68 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

I'm not an expert, but it seems fine, not even flat-spotted! 8)

Maybe you just hit something slick on the road. A light sheen of oil or diesel fuel can be easy to miss and cause some squirrelly behavior.

Some info.
Roose Hurro

Tread to Fear...

Post by Roose Hurro »

I can see you're not yet down to the wear markers on the center grove (pic shows one of them very clearly, smack in the middle). Looks like you have some miles left to go, so just keep an eye on your air pressure and treadwear, and when you get juuust down to the marker, then you can look for new rubber. Ride Safe.... :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

Your tire looks fine to me (from here). I have about 5300 miles on mine and they look ok to me although I can tell that they are wearing. At least they are wearing evenly. I plan on changing them at 6000 miles "just because".

If you look at the sidewall of the tire you will see a little " T.W.I. ^ "
which stands for "Tread Wear Indicator" and the little arrow/triangle thing will point across the crown of the tire. Somewhere along that imaginary line, in one of the tread grooves there will be raised area. When the tread wears down to that raised area (the wear bar) it's time to change the tire.

That's how I understand it. Personally I will change my tires long before I get to the wear bar.
Attachments
tires1_157wearbar.JPG
tires1_157wearbar.JPG (91.69 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
tires2_530paint.JPG
tires2_530paint.JPG (71.97 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
Roose Hurro

Comfort Level...

Post by Roose Hurro »

Bingo! Pretty much what I pointed out, only with pics. Thanks, Lagerhead! Yea, some people like to play it safe and replace early, others like to wait till the last minute... like to ekk out the last mile. It's totally up to you what you feel comfortable with, just take safety to mind, always. 8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ebcspace

tires

Post by ebcspace »

I'd call your local motorcycle shops... tell them you're looking to have a tire changed on a smaller wheel from a scooter. look for a shop that sells smaller dirt bikes or scooters or atc's, atv's... they are probably changing those for their regular customers.

as for a tire, i've had the tires changed on my Vespa ET-4 to Continental Zippy-1's, and they are great tires, which most scooter shops will probably attest to. you can certainly get them, in a buddy compatible size, or some whitewalls, from

http://www.scooterwest.com/contact/

give 'em a call, and they'll take care of you...

I'd shop for your tire, and buy it, have it ready, let them know that you have the tire, would just like to pay to have it changed.

where I live, in socal (Ontario) I only know of one place that is willing to do it. the usual car tire shops will usually not, saying they don't work on anything that small. alot of the motorcycle shops seem to either not be able to, or not want to, being that it's out of the ordinary for them.

maybe somebody will post a pic-tutorial how-to, take off the wheels...
I took off the wheels (on my vespa) myself, and took them to the shop, to cut the labor cost.

good luck !
scoot on!
Lagerhead

Re: Comfort Level...

Post by Lagerhead »

Roose Hurro wrote:Bingo! Pretty much what I pointed out, only with pics. Thanks, Lagerhead! Yea, some people like to play it safe and replace early, others like to wait till the last minute... like to ekk out the last mile. It's totally up to you what you feel comfortable with, just take safety to mind, always. 8)

Yep, you and I are saying the same thing, and I think we tried to say it at the same time. :lol:

I've heard nothing but good about Continental Zippy-1's. I've got a set in the garage waiting for me to get to 6000 right now.

I did replace the front tire on my wife's Buddy with a Zippy-1 a few weeks ago because she decided to run over a drywall screw. She has about 400 miles on it so far and she hasn't complained yet.
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Excellent guys thank you much. Its happened more than once so I doubt it was oil or anything, but maybe it's just me. I've been thinking about those continental zippy whitewalls but I'm wondering how they'll handle.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Guys, Do you think my tire is safe enough to ride? It looks like there's still some usable life left out of it, right? From what I understand, as long as the groove doesn't wear down to the flat spot indicated by the TWI mark, I am ok. I have asked my local motorcycle dealer to order a new tire last week, but unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet. :?
Attachments
PICT0011.JPG
PICT0011.JPG (28.53 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
tire 1
tire 1
PICT0010.JPG (44.2 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

Man sparty you're really squeezing the miles out of you tires, definitely replace those. If you really want to maximize your mileage you could try to ride the bike in a permanent lean to use that sidewall just lean to the right and steer to the left to balance out. Then when one side is all gone switch to the other. :lol:
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

sparty wrote:Guys, Do you think my tire is safe enough to ride? It looks like there's still some usable life left out of it, right? From what I understand, as long as the groove doesn't wear down to the flat spot indicated by the TWI mark, I am ok. I have asked my local motorcycle dealer to order a new tire last week, but unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet. :?
Don't ride in the rain.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
jradanov

Stock tires too slippy

Post by jradanov »

I have to say that I don't love the tires that came with my 2007 125. They are great for going ass-fast but slip on center paint lines when I cross lanes, and are loose on anything bumpier than perfectly flat. I do have to ride through wet streets sometimes and feel like it wouldn't even take wet train tracks to wipe me out. Any better gripping tires that I should consider? I don't care about going fast, but do like tubeless.

Thanks.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I got around 6,700 miles on my original rear tire and replaced it with a Conti Zippy 1 and now I'm at 10,100 miles (3,400 miles on the new tire) and starting to look like I should replace it soon.

I'm still ok on the front, but I'll probably change them both at the same time.

Any suggestions from scooter experts on a good all around tire like the Zippy 1 that lasts a little longer?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sparty wrote:Guys, Do you think my tire is safe enough to ride? It looks like there's still some usable life left out of it, right? From what I understand, as long as the groove doesn't wear down to the flat spot indicated by the TWI mark, I am ok. I have asked my local motorcycle dealer to order a new tire last week, but unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet. :?
Yep, its definitely time for a new one. Your photo does show the tread worn down below the indicator mark (TWI) by the way.
sparty

Post by sparty »

thanks, Dooglas. I actually replaced my tire shortly afterward. man, that was a close one.
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

So, tires shouldn't be rotated then. I can see how the flatter wear of the rear tire would really affect front end handling. (I just had the tires on my car rotated, hence the musing...)

As a side note on milage...

Honda Element -- bought new Mar07 5400 miles
Honda has the following road trips logged: Seattle to Portland, 3 trips from Seattle to San Juan's/Bellingham area, Costco/Grocery store runs, 1 or 2 commutes a week.

Buddy 125 -- bought new April07 4600 miles
Commuter Machine, City Riding, Errands, 1 road trip to Mt Vernon 3.5 hours by scoot, multiple joy rides. I've been trying to catch and bypass my honda's milage since I bought the scoot. I just might make it, if I get my rain/cold weather kit dialed...

Buddy's ROCK!!