MSF and the CA DMV

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

MSF and the CA DMV

Post by pcbikedude »

My daughter just completed the MSF course last weekend. She was surprised though when she took her form to the DMV. They didn't give her the license right away.

Evidently, there is a new policy that they watch you do a road test. It is not the "lollipop". It is an actual road test. They had my daughter ride through down the street and make a U Turn at the next street, comeback and run through the curve and make another U turn.

When I got my license 18 months ago, I just presented the form and they gave me a m/c license.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Everyone seems to have a different story of what happened to them when they went to the DMV. Who knows what's going on? When I got my license it was a different experience from your daughter AND from what others had told me.
Last edited by k1dude on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I can speak for TN.

The state still reserves the right to re-test a MSF graduate, to issue a M endorsment. I have never heard of any MSF grad in the state of TN having to take any written or skills test @ a TN DMV. Most TN MSF grads just have to pass a money test and present there certificate/card.

~Lee
MSF Coach
broke

Post by broke »

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:...just have to pass a money test
I failed this test my first time at the DMV! No plastic... only checks or cash! (FYI)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is the first I've heard of a change in policy. The CA MSP (our state version of the MSF) site has nothing about it.

http://www.ca-msp.org/faq.asp

Huh!?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

Weird.. a road test isn't even aprt of the regular DMV test. Which seemed stupid to me, but oh well, wouldn't be the first time I thought DMV was stupid :D
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

My daughter protested and they had to ask 3 different employees. The final word came down, "road test".

It sounds bizarre but it happened. She had to come back the next day for the test. But then again, what sounds bizarre to us is normal for the DMV.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Stupid bureaucrats! Did she bring her certificate of completion from the course? I would go to a different office, then file a complaint against the incompetent one. :evil:
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

olhogrider wrote:Stupid bureaucrats! Did she bring her certificate of completion from the course? I would go to a different office, then file a complaint against the incompetent one. :evil:
She had her form. But we live across the street from our local DMV. My daughter passed their stupid road test.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:
olhogrider wrote:Stupid bureaucrats! Did she bring her certificate of completion from the course? I would go to a different office, then file a complaint against the incompetent one. :evil:
She had her form. But we live across the street from our local DMV. My daughter passed their stupid road test.
How old is your daughter? Would that have anything to with it?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kathygnome

Post by kathygnome »

In Mass you don't even go to the Registry. You pre-pay for your license when you get your permit, the training company flags when you pass, and your license just arrives in the mail.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

She's 18. I don't think age has anything to do with it. She probably caught the DMV boss (ogre) on a bad day.