Wow...sounds like a harley

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Sailn

Wow...sounds like a harley

Post by Sailn »

Its a rather humid cold day in Philly, and my Buddy 50 with a 70cc kit and the stock pipe is really running like a dog. Lots of bogging down between 30 and 40, hesitation, etc. So I got to thinking about the bolt in the stock exhaust ( located right before the expansion ). As I understand it, this is where an O2 sensor would go; use to adjust the carb. Well I assumed that much of the hesitation was due to excessive unburn fuel/air in the pipe, so I removed the bolt. It now sounds like a TY-250 I used to ride in high school, filling garing loud. Aceleration is much better, as is response. What does concern me is that 1) there is a small jet of blue flame which shoots out under deceleration, 2) I am partially bypassing the catalytic converter. So I reinstalled the bolt. What this does tell me is that a pipe will make a huge difference once one is available.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Um... 70cc kit?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Keys

Post by Keys »

Be VERY careful with the removal of that bolt. 2-stroke engines require more back pressure from the exhaust than do 4-strokes. If you do not have a sufficient amount, the end result will be a hole burned in your piston.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I think that this is the only scooter that you could say REALLY sounds like a Harley!!! http://www.vintagemotorssarasota.com/Ca ... ey1960.htm :lol:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

wow that Harley scoot is sweet...a release would be great!
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

Do not run the scooter with that bolt out. You will ruin your piston and possibly other things in the process. Make sure your carburetor is jetted properly for your performance mods.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

I was concerned about that. When the 70 cc kit went on, the carb was jetted up and it runs rich with the expectation of a new pipe. To date I haven't found a pipe.

As to the bolt droping the back pressure to much, while it does, I am unsure as to the extent. Although I don't have numbers, and it would be difficult to measure what is going on without affecting the situation by taking measurements; there is a significant ( more than half) amount of exhaust still comming out the stinger. I picked up a bunch of 8 mm bolts yesterday, and might try drilling various size holes in them.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get a hot Vino pipe ( same top end I think ) and weld on some new brackets.

Anyone have any sugestions as to which pipe?