Chrome Rear Rack -- Doh!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Chrome Rear Rack -- Doh!

Post by ericalm »

I rode on down to Noho Scooters this afternoon to be the first to get one of the chrome rear racks before they were gone. Snagged it, strapped to the seat of the Vespa and headed for home. Saw an orange Buddy on Vineland on the way back (MB member, maybe?) and exchanged a nod. He was probably headed to NoHo.

Got home, looked at Buddy. Realized that I don't have the right socket to remove buddy bar and mount rack. Since I'm on a tight work deadline it'll be several days before I have time to head to the hardware store.

Fortunately, GatsbyGirl's not too crestfallen about having to wait a few days to get it on her scoot. She was just happy I got one before they sold out... unlike Christmas... heh.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
brat

Post by brat »

I have had a back chrome rack for a while now. I have a givi case on it, not a large case, just large enough for my helmet.

Well I went out to my buddy this AM to find the center metal support GONE!! Does anyone know the warrenty on the racks? I kind of feel they should last at lest a year. And I have never put more than 5 to 7 lbs in my case.

:cry: I need my case! I don't want to carry my helmet around campus all day!

Susan
Keys

Post by Keys »

Susan,

Lou76 (Isaac) and Scootermonkey (Tryg) both had that happen to their racks...one black, the other chrome. In fact, Tryg's (the chrome one) had the piece completely gone. Just like yours. I took them (and mine for reinforcement) up the the shop where I work. One of the mechanics welded reinforcement bars from the sides to where the bolt comes through the rack bracket. Since Tryg's was gone, Eric used some washers welded together to form the bracket. I'll TRY to post some pics of the fix, but I'm not good at accomplishing photo posting. Perhaps Tryg or Isaac will post pics.

Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
brat

Post by brat »

Thanks Keys.

Sounds like I need to locate a welder. Or learn how to use one very fast. lol Oh yeah and a chromer.

I would love to see you pictures.
Susan
Keys

Post by Keys »

Well, I took the pics. Now it'll prob'ly take me the rest of the night to figure out how to post 'em. By the way, Susan, I covet your Rally...

--Keys
brat

Post by brat »

Keys,
I have a way to make you want my Rally even more!! ;)

I bought it waith 112 orignal miles on it... Now it has just over 300 miles on it. AKA it is a brand new scooter. :)

Susan
Keys

Post by Keys »

Okay. It just boils down to "I ain't got the game" to upload photos. I did it once and that must have just burn out my "photo-loading" sysnapses. Sorry. However, here is a link to my pic; http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=2 ... myphotos=1

Hope it works.

--Keys 8)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Keys wrote:Okay. It just boils down to "I ain't got the game" to upload photos. I did it once and that must have just burn out my "photo-loading" sysnapses. Sorry. However, here is a link to my pic; http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=2 ... myphotos=1

Hope it works.

--Keys 8)
Check it out-

Image :wink:

Keys, once you have the url for your image (where it is located), just put that bit of info between the img tags Image Quote this message and you can see what it looks like...
Keys

Post by Keys »

Thanks, Mr. C,

I'll try to not foul that up next time.

--Keys 8)
brat

Post by brat »

Thank you both. I will use this as a guide to get it fixed.

Susan
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Um. Well. I got the rack mounted pretty quickly.
But I couldn't get the spacer, washer and rack all on the rear bolt. With the washer, the nut wouldn't screw down at all. Without, the bolt's still only halfway through the nut.

But it looks good!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ebcspace

chrome rear rack

Post by ebcspace »

I had to deselect the washer to install mine, too :wink:
scoot on!
lou76

Post by lou76 »

ericalm wrote:Um. Well. I got the rack mounted pretty quickly.
But I couldn't get the spacer, washer and rack all on the rear bolt. With the washer, the nut wouldn't screw down at all. Without, the bolt's still only halfway through the nut.

But it looks good!
tryg(gurneymonkey) and i both bought rubber grommets that are slightly shorter than the spacer that comes with the rack... allows the nut to be well-threaded onto the bolt, with some thread-tite of course, and allows for a little absorption of vibration at the center connection point...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lou76 wrote:
ericalm wrote:Um. Well. I got the rack mounted pretty quickly.

But it looks good!
tryg(gurneymonkey) and i both bought rubber grommets that are slightly shorter than the spacer that comes with the rack... allows the nut to be well-threaded onto the bolt, with some thread-tite of course, and allows for a little absorption of vibration at the center connection point...
Rubber is actually a great idea. This may go into my list of "when I buy a Dremel" projects: grinding a couple millimeters off the spacer, adding a rubber grommet.

I wonder if this contributed in any way to the weld failing on others' rear racks... Not to say that the weld shouldn't hold regardless...