Has anyone ordered from Helmets Etc. www.helmetsetc.com ?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bounce

Has anyone ordered from Helmets Etc. www.helmetsetc.com ?

Post by bounce »

I ordered a helmet a week ago. They provided UPS tracking, but the page loads up empty. When you sign in to check the status, there is a "UPS Tracking Info" button that you click; a new page loads with the company logo and UPS logo but NO information for your shipment.

Has anyone ordered from them before? What was your experience?

Thanks,
bounce
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

There were issues with their website earlier today. I was unable to track a package, but gave it an hour and was able to get my info.

You can also try calling them with the number to see if you can get that information.
Heroism is being scared as hell and saddling up anyways - John Wayne
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

I notice they sell predominantly cheap chinese helmets. They brag quite a bit about selling "high quality Shoei and HJC helmets" but the Shoei links on their site don't work at all and Shoei does not list them as an authorized sales agent.

Be very careful ordering HCI helmets online, their sizing runs VERY weird, you should definitely try them on before ordering. We've seen the size of an HCI helmet change from one helmet to another. Don't buy an HCI unless that particular helmet fits your head. I've had 4 different "Large" helmets range from can't possibly get it on to loose as a bucket.

HJC's are pretty decent altho' chinese made at least you'll be able to get replacement shields . I still say you should try a helmet on and wear it for at least 10 minutes before buying it.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

pocphil wrote:I notice they sell predominantly cheap chinese helmets.
Oh no! Does anyone know anything about this helmet/brand?
http://helmetsetc.com/detail.asp?produc ... ipse-White

I -really- need a new helmet but I've been holding out for one I liked. I wanted white, full face, modular flip-up with retractable smoke shield for under $200...and this totally fits the bill. I will be really sad if it's crap :(

If it is crap, can anyone guide me to a good alternate?
Lift heavy eat clean!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I never pay any attention to the size markings. I've had two HJC full face helmets that I really liked. One was a large, one an extra large. Both fit just fine. I get helmets from dealers so I can try them. The factory molds should be the same for all helmets of the same size. Sometimes I wonder if they're not just mislabeled.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Cycle Gear will even let you return a helmet and they have a store in San Fran. Too bad they don't carry Scorpion, my current fave.
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Daytona is a America-centric name put on a Generic Chinese helmet. Last year at the Dealer Expo we saw that same helmet being sold by no less than 10 different distributors.

Daytona is not even authorized to put the DOT sticker on the back of that helmet. They are not registered with the NHTSA. So they're not even claiming their helmet gives you any level of protection. Since the helmet is being sold by many different distributors it would be very hard to get to the manufacturer in case you sustained an injury due to failure.

What's more important tho' is what do you do with an internet helmet when you need parts or service? The visor is going to get scratched who will you go to for a replacement. We have people bring internet helmets in every day looking for visors, screws, covers etc. and there's nothing we can do to help them. They looked for the company online and they don't exist anymore.

If you're looking for an economy helmet, why not look at something like a Fulmer..http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/Product/afm.html

They have an extensive dealer network.
They stock parts for even discontinued helmets.
They have multiple visors for even discontinued helmets.
They have repair parts for all their helmets.
They are warrantied for a year. Your dealer can handle your warranty.
They've been in business since '69

I'm not saying you should run right out an get a fulmer, or that they're the best helmet ever made. They are a good quality helmet in a very affordable price point.

At the end of the day all that matters is...

It's your head.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've noticed new enough has clearance on helmet models frequently. I've sen HJC and bell helmets for 50-80 dollars when they normally cost 100 or more. Remember this was a while back, they might not have the same pricing, but you might find another helmet brand/model at a good price. I'd stay away from cheap Chinese helmets. There have been fakes in the past even though they have a DOT sticker on them.
Becktastic

Post by Becktastic »

thanks for the feedback. I saw a nice modular on clearance at motorcycle-superstore but they didn't have my size :(

I guess I'll keep looking...
Lift heavy eat clean!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

HJC makes good helmets at different price points. They are at most all dealers and parts are readily available. Have to try them on to see if your head likes their helmet.
What pocphil says is gospel. I have taken my HJC back to the dealer because I am fumble fingered with those simple to operate visor locks. Each time the parts guy took the helmet, got the parts out and repaired it as I looked on, amazed at his skill. Walked out $10 lighter with a good helmet and a smile. :mrgreen: That's a big plus people don't always consider when they're saving $20 online.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I would just go to a motorcycle or scooter shop that sells the helmet you want, try it on, see what size fits you right, then come home and order it online at a cheaper price at sites like motorcycle super store, and newenough.
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

jfrost2 wrote:I would just go to a motorcycle or scooter shop that sells the helmet you want, try it on, see what size fits you right, then come home and order it online at a cheaper price at sites like motorcycle super store, and newenough.
And then come back in a few months and tell us how sad you are that your local shop went out of business. :P
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Not every dealer actually sells helmets, I've been to a few dealers who only has 1-2 models of helmets they sold, or none at all. I was at a vespa dealer in canada that didnt sell helmets, but lots of italian clothing and corrazzo jackets. Was funny how they wanted to sell genuine bikes, especially the stella, but they were a vespa owned shop, not self owned. Plus they cant get Genuine brand in Canada, they can get PGO, but PGO doesnt make the stella, nor is it even imported by any other brand in Canada.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'd stay away from the HCI and generic Chinese made helmets.

Check out this (new) thread: How cheap is a cheap helmet?

There are good name-brand helmets at many price points, though you may have to put some effort into comparison shopping and checking sales and clearance sections. In fact, I'm a firm believer that some lower-cost helmets are just as good as some of those on the high end of the price range.

I do think it's best to go with a reputable brand. Yes, sometimes they make crappy helmets, but at least you can find more information on them when shopping. If you can't find reviews of the helmet online or if you can't find a manufacturer website, avoid it. If the main selling point is "DOT approved," stay away.

Motorcycle Superstore has frequent closeouts and sales, plus there's a 10% ModernBuddy discount.

I have also purchased from Sandhills Powersports, which often has great prices on helmets. Some of these modulars are in the same range as the Daytona Becktastic linked to above.

Yes, it's best to buy local. But I visited over a dozen shops when looking for a modular. In fact, I'd found the model that fit at the motorcycle show but was going to try top buy it at a local shop. Even those the manufacturer listed as dealers didn't carry it. So I got it at Motorcycle Superstore.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Helmetsetc is still selling HCI Retro (aka Corsa) puddin' bowl half-helmets which failed DOT testing as "meets or exceeds DOT standards." Beware.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bounce

report back...

Post by bounce »

my helmet ended up coming. i was definitely worried because 1-800 provided was bogus, as were all other searches on the internet for their number. it came up with 5 addresses, too, and in the yellow pages, they're listed as a concrete company. for that listing, however, the phone number actually has a voicemail that somewhat makes sense (asks for order number), but doesn't say anything about the company name and/or what it does.

in any case, i got lucky that helmetsetc.com came through, but it has an F rating at better business bureau.

and yes, HCI is not a very safe helmet, although HCI-16 is not horrible. i have a brand new full face shoei rf1000 that i suppose i'll use more... good luck to my passengers. :twisted:

i kid.

Image full face shoei rf 1000 in monza red

ImageOpen Face HCI-16 in Silver/Black