Unleaded or Premium?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

onemandan

Unleaded or Premium?

Post by onemandan »

I know the gas cap says "unleaded only", but is premium gas okay to put in the Buddy 50cc?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

There is 100% no difference in gas mileage or power in any grade of gas you use from 87 or higher, use the cheap stuff.
sled

Post by sled »

It is uneccessary to put premium fuel in any stock vehicle the manufacture recommends regular. Using premium will not harm anything but will just be a waste of money for no gain of any kind.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Also, premium and regular are both unleaded, so if you decide that you want to "spoil" your scooter (like you'd spoil a child), it's ok to give it some premium :D
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

oh SNAP :!: it's the octane thread again.
EZPZ #65
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

The only one getting a "treat" when you put premium into your Buddy is the oil company. Regular unleaded in the USA is more than adequate for the Buddy, there is no advantage to using a higher octane fuel than your engine is designed for - which is regular unleaded.

Go up to the Image Search button at the upper right and enter "Octane" to see 91 other threads talking about what octane to put into your scoot.

Or read this: http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/tra ... emium.html
laxer

Post by laxer »

Wow, I knew this was a touchy subject, but man! I'll be sure to stay away from it from now on :(
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Unleaded or Premium?

Post by BuddyRaton »

onemandan wrote:I know the gas cap says "unleaded only", but is premium gas okay to put in the Buddy 50cc?

WHY RED IS RED!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

In winter storage time though putting premium is better since it wont have ethanol in it and build up gunk in the fuel lines. But performance and mileage wise, no difference than 87.

The geniuses at PGO designed the bike to run of 87 gas normally, If people want to argue that they should put something higher everyday because it runs better, they can go design their own scooter that will run off 103 octane.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

laxer wrote:Wow, I knew this was a touchy subject, but man! I'll be sure to stay away from it from now on :(
It's ok. We all start one of these threads. Once. :P :P
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

nissanman wrote:oh SNAP :!: it's the octane thread again.
Heh, thats exactly what I was thinking. I'll just throw out that at the stock 9.5:1 compression ratio, the buddy is technically a semi-high compression motor, so you would normally need higher octane gas. That being said, since the motor is small and transfers heat well regular is probably fine. Most people run with regular without pre-detination or blowing up their motors..... Ok I'm finished :)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I tend to switch back and forth between regular, mid-grade, and premium constantly. It all depends on how accurate I feel my guesswork is that day! :lol:

I don't like putting so small an amount on my card, and all the stations in my area are cash prepay...and make me guess how much I need. :evil:
I'll guess based on regular prices, then pick grade accordingly. If I'm feeling lucky, I go with regular. If I feel like I'm having an off day and might seriously overshoot, I go with premium. If I think I'm doing alright, but want a security blanket, I go with mid.
I'm getting the hang of it now, so haven't gotten premium the last few times I filled up. It takes a few trial-and-errors to get in synch.
broke

Post by broke »

For the record, I use jet fuel.
Cheshire wrote:I don't like putting so small an amount on my card...
why?
Want and need divide me. Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cheshire wrote:...all the stations in my area are cash prepay...and make me guess how much I need. :evil:...
Huh? They won't give you change?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

You should always use premium gas. Its much more expensive and will make your scooter run faster, smoother, cooler, give an additional 35mpg and side benefits are the chrome will never need to be polished or tires checked for proper inflation. Its oil company additive magic! :P
MikieTaps

Post by MikieTaps »

nissanman wrote:oh SNAP :!: it's the octane thread again.

Windshield Gas.... or 11.5G Dr. Pulley Gas. Either way, you will fly!
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

We should all just convert our scooters to run on diesel so we never have to talk about octane again. But of course we'll have to deal with dozens of thread like "When is it appropriate to purge". :D

Dustin
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

eat beano before gasey fillups
rabbitgod

Post by rabbitgod »

DennisD wrote:You should always use premium gas. Its much more expensive and will make your scooter run faster, smoother, cooler, give an additional 35mpg and side benefits are the chrome will never need to be polished or tires checked for proper inflation. Its oil company additive magic! :P
I like to use premium because it causes women to have an uncontrollable urge to throw themselves at me. It's like in beer commercials or Axe deoderant.

I pretty much do whatever commercials tell me.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

rabbitgod wrote:
DennisD wrote:You should always use premium gas. Its much more expensive and will make your scooter run faster, smoother, cooler, give an additional 35mpg and side benefits are the chrome will never need to be polished or tires checked for proper inflation. Its oil company additive magic! :P
I like to use premium because it causes women to have an uncontrollable urge to throw themselves at me. It's like in beer commercials or Axe deoderant.

yeah like valentines day when your not catholic

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

rabbitgod wrote:

As a random side note: Axe is also by far the best propellant for potato cannons.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Kaos wrote:
rabbitgod wrote:

As a random side note: Axe is also by far the best propellant for potato cannons.
I'll have to try that. I've always used Aqua Net Extra Super Hold.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

djelliott wrote:
Kaos wrote:
rabbitgod wrote: I like to use premium because it causes women to have an uncontrollable urge to throw themselves at me. It's like in beer commercials or Axe deoderant.

I'll have to try that. I've always used Aqua Net Extra Super Hold.
We launched a spud-rocket nearly 30 acres with Axe and a VERY big potato gun. That was enough convincing for me ;)
broke

Post by broke »

broke wrote:For the record, I use jet fuel.
I'm switching to AXE
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

@ Kaos (because I'm not quoting all that filler):

:shock:

:clap:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

broke: I used to work for a small business, and am familiar with what it costs a business to run a card. If I'm filling up at a chain gas station, I don't care, but if I'm filling up at a local independent I try to help 'em out by using cash if it's below a certain purchase amount. (~$10 is where most local independent businesses start to break even on plastic.)

Syd: There's one or two places I like that will let me just fill up, but most places around here either don't know how to work the register or can't be bothered to figure it out. The ones that are jerks about it just flat-out refuse to even consider working with me on it and giving me change back. :?
I say screw 'em and just make another entry on my "money talks and silence screams" black list. 8)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Cheshire wrote:broke: I used to work for a small business, and am familiar with what it costs a business to run a card. If I'm filling up at a chain gas station, I don't care, but if I'm filling up at a local independent I try to help 'em out by using cash if it's below a certain purchase amount. (~$10 is where most local independent businesses start to break even on plastic.)
I totally agree. I own my own small business and it costs me about $1.60 everytime I swipe a ATM/Charge card. I've had people come in and want to use their ATM/Charge card for a $0.50 purchase. :roll:
I've also had people hand me 3 different cards to swipe to see which one will be accepted - that's $4.80 in fees that I have to pay. :(
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
broke

Post by broke »

babblefish wrote:
Cheshire wrote:broke: I used to work for a small business, and am familiar with what it costs a business to run a card. If I'm filling up at a chain gas station, I don't care, but if I'm filling up at a local independent I try to help 'em out by using cash if it's below a certain purchase amount. (~$10 is where most local independent businesses start to break even on plastic.)
I totally agree. I own my own small business and it costs me about $1.60 everytime I swipe a ATM/Charge card. I've had people come in and want to use their ATM/Charge card for a $0.50 purchase. :roll:
I've also had people hand me 3 different cards to swipe to see which one will be accepted - that's $4.80 in fees that I have to pay. :(
OK. I understand that reasoning, and respect it. I pay cash at the donut shop (and tip) cuz I know every nickel counts in a business like that.

I don't have a problem using plastic on larger purchases at small shops because I'd probably limit my spending if it was cash only... so their profit margin is slightly smaller from me, but at least it is profit!

I don't mind using the card at the Chevron for $1.83 in regular though... DID YOU HEAR THE NEWS REPORTS ABOUT THE UNBELIEVABLE RECORD PROFITS THE OIL COMPANIES ARE RAKING IN LAST YEAR?!?!?!? I know my local shop doesn't see most of that... but that industry in general is suffering from a lack of competition IMHO.
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

after using regular all these months, i decided to fill up with premium the other day and indeed it does ride smoother! the throttle just glides through, the engine doesn't vibrate as much as before, i love the smooth ride :) ...

just in input.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

r0sa wrote:after using regular all these months, i decided to fill up with premium the other day and indeed it does ride smoother! the throttle just glides through, the engine doesn't vibrate as much as before, i love the smooth ride :) ...

just in input.
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing, not that my bike WON'T run on regular, it just seems a bit smoother on premium.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

One thing to note about the 2-stroke (the Buddy 50cc that started *this* particular thread): 2-Strokes do better with the higher grade gas. I don't know the specifics, but my mechanic (they've been working on 2-strokes for a looooong time now) told me this and I take their word for it. They even explained it to me, but the details have escaped me.

The Buddy does just fine on 87.

The Blur's owner's manual recommends 92 octane (so pick 91 or 93, you're just never gonna get it right).

Thankfully, we can all agree that diesel is the worst. At least that's one thing we can agree on!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Lostmycage wrote:One thing to note about the 2-stroke (the Buddy 50cc that started *this* particular thread): 2-Strokes do better with the higher grade gas. I don't know the specifics, but my mechanic (they've been working on 2-strokes for a looooong time now) told me this and I take their word for it. They even explained it to me, but the details have escaped me.

The Buddy does just fine on 87.

The Blur's owner's manual recommends 92 octane (so pick 91 or 93, you're just never gonna get it right).

Thankfully, we can all agree that diesel is the worst. At least that's one thing we can agree on!
I know it's been mentioned before but I'll add this in. Keep in mind the octane rating listed in your owners manual is based on a different and lower set of standards then the octane standard the US uses. Their 92 octane is more like our 89. Just putting out there.

DJE

P.S. I'll just save Phil the time by posting his Octane discoveries for him.

pocphil wrote:Culled from the inter-web, but i've printed my own version far too often:

Virtually nothing is gained by filling up with a premium or more expensive grade of fuel than the vehicle manufacturer has recommended, the experts say. And many of the same experts explain that drivers may not lose much performance from their cars by using a lower grade of fuel than recommended by the car manufacturer.

There is little difference in energy content of regular versus premium gasoline. They both contain about 111,400 British Thermal Units of energy per gallon.

The price difference, however, between the fuel grades is anywhere from 20 cents to 40 cents, depending on where you live in the United States. The experts' consensus goes against the long-held belief by thousand of drivers who fill up with premium only, or on every third or fourth trip to the pump. The idea is to fill up with premium every so often to clean out the engines or rev up the performance of older engines.

But according to the experts, this practice is like tossing quarters in a wishing well, since most engines are designed to operate on relatively low-octane regular unleaded gasoline.

Octane is defined as a fuel's resistance to knocking. There is no benefit if the octane is higher than what the engine needs. Engine knock occurs when fuel in a combustion chamber ignites before it should.

The American Petroleum Institute says if you find that your car runs fine on a lower grade, there is no sense switching to premium. The Institute recommends following manufacturer's recommendation, but even those manufacturers say that it is more of a suggestion than a command.

Now my own opinion. I am an expert. I've dyno tested many scooter engines on both 87, 92 and 100+ octane. The results vary based on the compression of the motor.

The results as they apply to scooters on this forum:

Neither the Buddy 125 nor the Buddy 50 REQUIRE anything higher than 87 octane.

Higher octanes do not run cleaner *the same detergency recipe is used in all of a manufacturers formulas*.

Higher octanes do not provide more power.

Higher octanes DO detonate later (which may screw up your timing).

Higher octanes DO cost a LOT more and their only benefit is how quickly they make big oil RICH.

When a independent test was done in 2005 over 50% of the gas stations selling "92 Octane" were actually pumping out fuel with an octane rating of 88.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

BUT!!! You can agree that Diesel is the worst gas to use in any of our scooters, right? Plus it's expensive, as if we needed another reason not to use diesel.

I say we make an antidiesel scooter sect (ASS). Whose in?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

"When a independent test was done in 2005 over 50% of the gas stations selling "92 Octane" were actually pumping out fuel with an octane rating of 88."

I can vouch for that bit. It's been YEARS, but in '98 I worked third shift at a convenience store. There were two drivers that delivered fuel, which usually arrived some time late in the night. One was careful, the other...sloppy.
I caught the sloppy one not bothering to switch hose connections when moving from filling the low-grade to mid-grade tanks. When I confronted him, he just shrugged and grinned, saying "no one will notice. No big deal. Happens all the time." Needless to say, I went inside and reported him...never saw him again.

But..."happens all the time." Something to think about when you're getting higher grade gas.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Lostmycage wrote:BUT!!! You can agree that Diesel is the worst gas to use in any of our scooters, right? Plus it's expensive, as if we needed another reason not to use diesel.

Yes 100%. But, if we could make a biodiesil scooter that would be awesome. Imagine spreading the smell of french fries around where ever ride.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
laxer

Post by laxer »

djelliott wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:BUT!!! You can agree that Diesel is the worst gas to use in any of our scooters, right? Plus it's expensive, as if we needed another reason not to use diesel.

Yes 100%. But, if we could make a biodiesil scooter that would be awesome. Imagine spreading the smell of french fries around where ever ride.
Yeah, but then we'd get the argument of french fry oil vs. bacon grease...
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

laxer wrote:
djelliott wrote:

Bacon always trumps french fry oil. Always.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Lostmycage wrote:
laxer wrote:
djelliott wrote: Yes 100%. But, if we could make a biodiesil scooter that would be awesome. Imagine spreading the smell of french fries around where ever ride.
Oh man, I didn't even think of that! A scooter spewing the scent of bacon every where. That's pure genius!
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
NCY Front Forks
NCY Secondary Shieve
broke

Post by broke »

DONUT OIL!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Cheshire wrote:"When a independent test was done in 2005 over 50% of the gas stations selling "92 Octane" were actually pumping out fuel with an octane rating of 88."

I can vouch for that bit. It's been YEARS, but in '98 I worked third shift at a convenience store. There were two drivers that delivered fuel, which usually arrived some time late in the night. One was careful, the other...sloppy.
I caught the sloppy one not bothering to switch hose connections when moving from filling the low-grade to mid-grade tanks. When I confronted him, he just shrugged and grinned, saying "no one will notice. No big deal. Happens all the time." Needless to say, I went inside and reported him...never saw him again.

But..."happens all the time." Something to think about when you're getting higher grade gas.
I've had problems with this at gas stations before. My car has a 12:1 compression 440 bigblock in it that have leaded gas heads on it. It WILL NOT run on anything less than premium. It pings and knocks and generally behaves badly. I know several stations here in my area I cannot fill up on, because the "premium" isn't high enough octane for my car.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Lostmycage wrote:
laxer wrote:
djelliott wrote: Yes 100%. But, if we could make a biodiesil scooter that would be awesome. Imagine spreading the smell of french fries around where ever ride.
Never ever use bacon grease for fuel. All bacon grease should be recycled into beans, pancakes, veggies, etc. Whoever heard of having enough bacon grease??
SFBDY170i

Post by SFBDY170i »

Lots of opinions posted here but I discovered a dealer prep video for Buddys and Roughhouses that states their scooters are "optimised to run 89 octane, also can use 92 but 87 is not reccomended". The video as a whole is a good watch and provides useful info.

This link skips straight to the fuel octane section:

https://youtu.be/iE9GeRgJyaM?t=525
Therealslimshaggy

Post by Therealslimshaggy »

In Taiwan almost everyone goes with Taiwan grade 95. It’s a different mix there for sure without anti smog additives etc. the cheap gas in Taiwan has cheating qualities cough cough more water. So it’s been told through local legends. The USA manual was based on us grade not Taiwan grade. There’s a lot lost in translation and region. I think they wrote the manual based on whatever they thought was the most premium fuel in USA. Which state sells 91? Just like in Taiwan there is a thread that says 92 is fine and makes no difference. Problem was when I tried 92 in Taiwan it ran like garbage on my Honda grom and Yamaha Cygnus. I went right back to 95. The same thing happened to me in USA when I tried lower grades on my roughhouse. In Texas 91 doesn’t exist. So I run 93. The added oil dilutes the octane on 2t. You really feel lower octane on2t. Also quality fuel matters. 93 at some hole in the wall might run as good as 87 at shell. And 93 at shell might run amazing but at 711 93 might run crappy. I also research fuel stability and quality ratings. Shell is up there at the top.
Yamaha Aerox 155, Genuine Roughhouse 50, Genuine buddy 170i, Yamaha Cygnus 125, Honda grom 125, Suzuki address 110 (uk110), Yamaha cuxi 115, Yamaha BWS 100 2t, Yamaha R6, Honda CR125, Kawasaki KX 500
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

This is interesting to me. I've run my 150 on 89, I've run it on 93, and I once filled the tank from a gas can I found in the back of the shed. I couldn't tell the difference.