What else do I need?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dennis Abrams

What else do I need?

Post by Dennis Abrams »

Hi everyone!

I just test rode my first scooter, a Buddy, and I think I'm in love.

I'm planning to wait until after I take the motorcycle class to buy one (I'm leaning towards the red), and was wondering what accessories everyone out there thought I might want...(I know a helmet isn't an accessory -- it's a necessity!)

Thanks.
jperkins

Rain Suit

Post by jperkins »

I HIGHLY recomend a rain suit.
toga28

Post by toga28 »

rear rack, fo sho
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Meh you live in Houston. A rain suit would rarely be NEEDED, although I guess if you're like that.... Personally I'd recommend new mirrors right away, then maybe a flyscreen just for speed. Kinda depends on what kind of riding you're gonna be doing that really determines your need for accessories.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
lou76

Post by lou76 »

probably the best bet is to ride for a while... you will figure out what YOU want... there is no shortage of opinions on this board :wink: gloves were a quick second behind a solid helmet, for me... and a set of metric open-ended wrenches...
ebcspace

what else do you need ?

Post by ebcspace »

some bungees for that rear rack you're getting (you promise to get everything we tell you, right ? :wink:

tools, if you are inclined to do your own maintenance.

gloves, eye protection, helmet,

world standard lock and chain(s) depending on where you get to park your precious,

motorcycle/scooter cover, tire pressure guage,

miniature keychain gate/door remote, if you have to open any gates, garage doors.

business cards from your local scooter dealer to give to all of your curious new friends...

:D
Last edited by ebcspace on Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
scoot on!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

And a good armored jacket! In Houston you'll probably need either something with zip-out liners or a summer jacket and a winter jacket. But definitely mesh or a light textile for the summer.

I'm not as militant about "All the gear all the time" as some but we've read enough crash reports to know that serious injuries can occur at lower speeds.

My first advice used to be a halogen bulb for the headlight, but if you buy an '07 you'll be set!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dennis Abrams

Post by Dennis Abrams »

Yes, I promise to get everything.

I guess I should ask...are there any specific brand/styles of all the things I promise to purchase that you all recommend?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dennis Abrams wrote:I guess I should ask...are there any specific brand/styles of all the things I promise to purchase that you all recommend?
Everyone seems to have their own preferences and suggestions. With jackets and helmets it's pretty important to try them on. I have a Nolan N-41 helmet that I love and have 3 jackets: a Belstaff, a Johnson Leathers (very heavy, but not armored) and a textile Joe Rocket Orbit (discontinued style). I also love the Corazzo jackets (made by & for scooterists!) and will probably be getting one this summer. I also have 2 pairs of Olympia gloves — perforated for warm weather and lined for cold.

My Buddy-riding wife has a PowerTrip jacket that's quite well-made.

We're both pretty opposed to anything that looks too "motorcycle-y" so avoid anything with big graphics, logos, weird color combinations, etc. But that's just how we roll.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ebcspace

what else do you need ?

Post by ebcspace »

my own selections of some gear specifics...

for the first week or two, I would stop at every gas station in town, looking for the perfect pair of shades... with the right fit and style, right amount of tint, not too dark to hinder night riding. if you are on the $$ spending on designer glasses, skip the part you just read. :wink:

got large size motorcycle cover from (w)mart, which is a perfect fit for the buddy.

for gloves, I'm using snowboarding gloves, which have warming technology that also keeps moisture away from hands, and are not too thick that I can't feel the handlebars through gloved fingers.

got buddy rear chrome rack, which is indispensable !

a very important accessory purchase was the scooter securement gear. my neighbor"hood" parking for buddy is in an outdoor carport, which has large support leg beams that are not going anywhere, and are welcoming to locking the bud.

I've since added the noose, which gives some more slack, allows parking the buddy "next to" the car now, still leaving walking space alongside. compared to the setup in the pic, I was able to "back up" the buddy, move it over to the edge of the concrete, with the front tire at the carport pole. the noose loops around the frame beneath the floorboard above and behind the centerstand, and that chain meets the fahgettaboudit chain which goes around the carport leg, with the new york lock joining the two.

got the locks on amazon.com for much less than I could find anywhere else, still a fair chunk of change, but in my opinion was worth the expense .
Attachments
kryptonitenoose_596.jpg
kryptonitenoose_596.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
kryptonitefahgettaboudit_117.jpg
kryptonitefahgettaboudit_117.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
buddylocked_324.jpg
buddylocked_324.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
scoot on!
GenuineSlacker

Post by GenuineSlacker »

just tossing in my props to corazzo hoodies. best 200 buck youll spend.
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GenuineSlacker wrote:just tossing in my props to corazzo hoodies. best 200 buck youll spend.
How does it do in the heat? I can overheat in my textile, even with the liner removed and the arm and side vents all zipped open. I am vacillating between the hoodie, shop jacket and waiting on the rumored mesh jacket.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

My vote goes for the givi E350 top case with brake light kit. I can EASILY fit a KBC flip front helmet in there with room to spare, it does fit under the seat...but just barely. Actually one time I fit 12 frozen burgers, rolls, an onion, a tomato, ketchup (catsup?) pickles lettuce and a large apple pie!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Mr. Met

Post by Mr. Met »

Yeah but did you have to crush the rolls?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Mr. Met wrote:Yeah but did you have to crush the rolls?
Not even close! I still had some room left over. I was going to put ice cream in too....but it was a bit warm in Key West on New Years Eve.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

lou76 wrote:probably the best bet is to ride for a while... you will figure out what YOU want...
Ditto. Only you can determine what accessories you want. I would just poke around this forum for photos of what others have done to accessorize their scoot. Folks here have had some fun personlizing their b125.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

GenuineSlacker wrote:Meh you live in Houston. A rain suit would rarely be NEEDED, although I guess if you're like that.... .
I suppose you ar still o the opinion that no rain suit is needed in Houston? :P

I've been caught in the rain 3 times in the last week. Today with 12 other scooters on an Urban Scooters ride.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

I have the GIVI 370 top case with interchangable colored tops and I use it all the time. Givi site will have the dimensions for each topcase.

Armor mesh jacket..First Gear; TourMaster mesh gloves, Fulmer 3/4 face helmet--looking into a different helmet, boots, and looking into armor pants or draggin jeans-or similar.

I did have a yamaha 49cc Razz and did not have gloves...I think there gets a getting use to riding with gloves. Personally I think there is quicker reaction on letting up of the throttle w/out gloves, but I wouldn't ride my Buddy 125 w/out them.

Look for gear that makes you as visible as possible! The lighter and brighter the better. I prefer the jackets w/out all the brand name lettering and logos, but each to his own.

I want a pink corazzo 5.0 jacket but have only come across the pastels and the marine blue. Does anyone know if this jacket is good for cooler weather?

The different brands and styles within a brand all fit a little different.
New Enough is a great place online to shop and look..especially if you don't live near a store.
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

id get the windshield
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

I could care less what people wear or what they ride. I do not even care if you wear a helmet or not.

I just find it funny that everyone talks about these jackets & gloves but they skimp on the helmet and face protection.

Sure, go buy some gas station sunglasses and wear a 3/4 helmet. I watched in my mirror as Lobsterman hit the curb and went over the handlebars last week. Thankfully he was wearing a solid full face. But, there really is nothing like hitting the ground wearing some dollar store or gas station sunglasses and having the lens shatter because a full face is just not "cool".

I just know the reasons for what I wear as I have been riding for many years and have had my share of spills. This is how I ride 98% of the time.

Dave
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Nice gear for protection...Darth Vader inspired?

I have a 3/4 open face and wear glasses but have been looking into the full face, but it seems like I don't have the visibilty. Any comments on that?
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

Inspired by broken bones.

I wear glasses and have never had a problem wearing a full face. I do not think my vision is impaired at all. I do wear a modular (flip-up) so that at times if I want more vision, I can flip it up.

Dave
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Oh, what I mean is I wear "contacs" and wear glasses/goggles.

I've been reading about the modulars--anything to watch out for with the modular? Those are nice...or the few I have seen. I just wasn't sure if they are secure or would pop open or up --whatever--that it would be as safe as regular FF.

Trying to educate myself so I make a good choice on the FF
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ScooterDave wrote:This is how I ride 98% of the time.

Dave
I can tell you that while ScooterDave does wear that gear when he rides, I've never seen him ride with his arm around a smiling girl.

I do recommend a FF helmet, and I am quite happy with my Bell Sprint, which fits under the seat on the Buddy (just barely), even though it's an XXL.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

Modulars are very secure. There is no chance that it will flip up on you as there is a release lever.

In regards to me and the ladies.... Lobsterman, Maybe if you went on more rides with me like on Wednesday nights you would see more ladies with smiles hanging around me. In fact, due to my popularity with the females, I have a special section on my website devoted to just that subject.

http://www.scooterdave.com/?page_id=177

Thats the way I roll....

Dave
2wheelsgood

Post by 2wheelsgood »

>I've been reading about the modulars--anything to watch out for with the modular?

That the chin bar has been tested to sustain impact?

I was sold on the idea of a modular then this was mentioned in a video clip posted somewhere (on the Stella forum maybe)? Which left me thinking that if I'm going to put up with the annoyance of a face shield, I want something built to protect my chin and jaws too.

So, I'll be reading the helmet specs closely!
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I believe you want a good metal chin bar.

I recall something about being wary about what type/how the flip part connects to the helmet.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

"Does facial coverage make any difference? Consider going jaw-first into the back of a car, and remember where your jawbone will end up if it gets pushed up into your head. "

I have done that. I still shudder to think what would happen if I was not wearing a full face.

If you are shopping for a helmet I suggest you read:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/street ... met_guide/

There are also several good articles linked at the bottom.

Dave
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

ScooterDave, thanks for the link.

Would you share what speed and where you were at with your crash?
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

I was probably going 20-25 mph when I impacted the back end of a Chevy Caprice that pulled out of a parking space right in front of me.

This was probably 10 years ago. I was on a Vespa P200e. The scooter is all metal with a metal glove box. I hit the Caprice dead on the rear bumper. My knees went straight into the metal glovebox and over the handlebars I went.

There are streaks of white paint on the front of the helmet down the face shield and over the chin guard. Had I not worn a full face, that would have been my face as a mere face shield on a 3/4 helmet would not have protected my face at all.

You asked.

Dave
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Thank you for sharing it is good to be reminded that most accidents do occur close to home and also going slower speeds.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

lobsterman wrote:I can tell you that while ScooterDave does wear that gear when he rides, I've never seen him ride with his arm around a smiling girl.

What about a smiling girl with her arm around him? :wink:
Attachments
3-31-07 WKRP Rally 2007 SD and Angiesmall.jpg
3-31-07 WKRP Rally 2007 SD and Angiesmall.jpg (34.54 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

BoneGirl wrote:
lobsterman wrote:I can tell you that while ScooterDave does wear that gear when he rides, I've never seen him ride with his arm around a smiling girl.

What about a smiling girl with her arm around him? :wink:
A. Technically, I really only consider it riding if the vehicle is moving.
B. That picture could be almost anyone in a ScooterDave® costume.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ScooterDave

Post by ScooterDave »

lobsterman wrote:A. Technically, I really only consider it riding if the vehicle is moving.
B. That picture could be almost anyone in a ScooterDave® costume.
I need to get bonegirl on my site but I am afraid her husband would kick my butt.

That could be an imposter on my pink buddy. You know what they say - The chicks want to be with me and the dudes want to be me...

Dave
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

ScooterDave wrote:
lobsterman wrote: B. That picture could be almost anyone in a ScooterDave® costume.
I need to get bonegirl on my site but I am afraid her husband would kick my butt.

That could be an imposter on my pink buddy. You know what they say - The chicks want to be with me and the dudes want to be me...

Dave
Sorry you two but I have proof positive it is indeed scooter Dave! Ha! Busted!!!
Attachments
3-31-07 WKRP Rally 2007 SD actually opens his helmet for a picture with Angiesmall.jpg
3-31-07 WKRP Rally 2007 SD actually opens his helmet for a picture with Angiesmall.jpg (32.35 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

BoneGirl wrote:
ScooterDave wrote:
lobsterman wrote: B. That picture could be almost anyone in a ScooterDave® costume.

Dave
Sorry you two but I have proof positive it is indeed scooter Dave! Ha! Busted!!!
ScooterDave® rubber mask?
Kevin
AYPWIP?