Kick Starting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Benchie

Kick Starting

Post by Benchie »

I kick start my Buddy 125 on cold mornings all the time with no trouble. It usually starts on the 3rd kick. (Just doing my part to conserve the battery)
My problem is I have trouble getting the Buddy to start (kick start), after it's warmed up with a ride to the store, etc. I CAN start it fine with the push button start......no problem.
(It's a little embarrassing trying to kick start the Buddy in a parking lot and nothing happens.)

Any thoughts as to why it's harder to kick start a warmed up engine??

Benchie
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I've noticed this too, I'm not sure why either. Then again they call it the "emergency kick starter" so I'm guessing they expect people to use the electric start normally all the time.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Mine is just the opposite. 3-5 kicks to start initially, and then 1 kick for the rest of the day. Odd ...
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I've noticed that mine usually kick starts easier when cold (after sitting overnight) as compared to after sitting in a parking lot for half an hour. I think it might have something to do with when and under what circumstances the automatic choke engages.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Dooglas wrote:I've noticed that mine usually kick starts easier when cold (after sitting overnight) as compared to after sitting in a parking lot for half an hour. I think it might have something to do with when and under what circumstances the automatic choke engages.
Same here.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

My guess would be something related to the auto-choke on the bike. Purely a guess at this point...
EZPZ #65
Racenut

Post by Racenut »

When you turn the key or the switch off to shut off the bike, it just kills the spark. It turns over a few more times as it dies, no spark, but still fuel mixture coming in.

Trying to start warm, it's very easy to end up with a "flooded" condition.

Mine was sitting for a couple weeks since we've had rain. Battery was weak. Electric wouldn't start it alone. I use the kick start AND the button. Once you get it past the initial compression stroke with the kick starter, the electric has a much easier time keeping it going and it starts right up. :)
Benchie

Post by Benchie »

Ah-h-h-h.......I knew somebody would come up with a fairly logical explanation. Makes sense to me.

Thanks,
Benchie
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

hmmm I had the same experience all morning on our group ride. Haven't ridden in about a week, didn't get spark this morning when I went out there, started right up with the kick though. Rode it to the meet after warming it up and grabbed some coffee, took like 20 kicks to start it. Did the group ride for 3 hours or so then stopped for lunch, tried to kick it started after that but as I was holding the bike I accidentally hit the starter and it started right up. Now I know why.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
fretman

Post by fretman »

Mine usually starts by the 3rd kick regardless of temp, unless I'm trying to show someone how easy it is to do - then it takes 10 or 12 tries, and sometimes won't start at all :?