Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Orange Guy

Knuckle Draggers Scooter Rally: 2010: An Ape Odyssey

Post by Orange Guy »

What: Knuckle Draggers Scooter Rally: 2010: An Ape Odyssey
When: June 11th-13th
Where: Le Claire, Iowa
How much: Preregistration is $20; Onsite registration is $25
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Here's a recap of last year ...

The old adage goes “the third time’s a charm.” And for the Quad-City Knuckle Dragger’s third rally, the charm came courtesy of LeClaire, Iowa. For three days, scooter enthusiasts of all stripes took over the little river town, taking advantage of winding rural roads, eclectic eats, unique shopping and surf punk into the early morning hours just feet from the mighty Mississippi.

Friday night started with registration in the basement of Sneaky Pete’s. Rally packs were handed out and, in addition to the essential patch and tee shirt, included a kickass tool pouch – handmade by club member Louie Adrales – and a packet of Anti Monkey Butt Powder. Upstairs, people were feasting on awesome grilled cheese sandwiches, cowboy steaks and a salad bar served up in an old claw-foot tub. Club member Heidi Hernandez – who created the artwork for the rally shirts – was having an art opening at the Bucktown Center for the Arts in Davenport, Iowa … a short 15-mile ride along the riverfront. Following the art exhibit, the Friday Night Ride eventually led back to LeClaire.

Saturday morning was gray, rainy and chilly, but not unbearable. The Mississippi Valley Welcome Center, perched high on a bluff offering a sweeping view of the river, was the meet up spot for the morning ride. The welcome center lived up to its name and greeted some soggy riders with hot coffee, orange juice, fresh fruit and assorted breakfast baked goods. (Side note: It was here we learned Corn Soap does a great job of cleaning wet-leather-stained hands.)

With the rain subsiding and the sun making a showing, the Saturday ride departed just a bit behind schedule. After a few miles of rural roads through some of Iowa’s finest corn, we did a loop through the 1280-acre Scott County Park. Shortly after, the Saturday ride took a break at the Walnut Grove Pioneer Village, a cross-roads settlement and stage coach stop of the 1860s. Among the attractions were an old train depot, a one-room school house and a Chicago, Burlington Quincy Caboose 14353. A highlight for many was the ice cream cones in the Soda Fountain Shop … A generous scoop for $1.

On the way back to LeClaire, we stopped at Go Fish Marina Bar and Grill in Princeton, Iowa. Their typical crowd is a mix of bikers and boaters, but we took it over. Looking like a giant concrete block washed ashore, Go Fish has indoor/outdoor bars with balcony views of the Mississippi both upstairs and down. A few topped off their tanks at the lone gas pump. The charred-black pavement suggests burnouts are tolerated and a few people with souped-up rides indulged in putting on some smoke shows.

Nearing lunch time, the group headed back to town for pizza. Happy Joe’s, a Quad-City area homegrown favorite, delivered their signature taco, BBQ chicken, vegetarian and several other pizzas. The afternoon hours could be considered rally hiatus. There were unconfirmed reports of a scooter-riding gorilla handing out bananas around town. Attendees were turned loose on the town, several taking part in the color chase contest. Rally folks took the card from the rally packs and hit the shops of LeClaire, randomly picking markers and coloring squares on the card. Each color had a point value and the highest point total won a laptop bag from rally sponsor Corazzo.

People showed of their skills and scoots in the early evening hours during the Gymkhana, Slow Ride and Show & Shine. Chris Walsh, of Wisconsin, caught the eye of the local media with “Tiki,” his fully restored Lambretta. There was an abundance of sweet vintage on hand, as well as plenty of modern scoots ... All bikes are welcome and treated equal.

Saturday night the Backyard Boozers (backwoods rockabilly … self-described as “two guys bring you their brand of Half-Assed Honky Tonk”) and The One Night Standards (Ventures inspired surf and, as they put it, “music that will rip your face off or break your heart”) played into the early hours on bank of the Mississippi. Anti Monkey Butt Powder everywhere. Dancing, drinking, raffle drawings and a gorilla doing a burnout on stage ... In a nutshell, everyone had a blast.

People split up after this. Some hung out on the riverbank. Some guy peed in the bushes by the hotel (and got busted by the police). Some hit the town. Some wandered over to the garage of Antique Archaeology. Some went to bed.

Sunday morning, a few of the Knuckle Draggers met at The Faithful Pilot for breakfast, feasting on dishes like Buttermilk pancakes or Poached eggs, toasted baguette, andoullie sausage, smoked gouda, and spicy hollandaise. Shortly before noon, the scoots fired up and headed out, saying goodbye to LeClaire and the 2009 Knuckle Dragger Scooter Rally.

But we’ll be back. The Knuckle Draggers Scooter Club Rally 2010: An Ape Odyssey is June 11-13 in LeClaire, Iowa. Check www.kdscrally.com for details.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

You just might get some unaffiliated Kansas City scooter riders at your rally
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Orange Guy, Inc.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

We are registered and I know at least three others who are going and possibly a fourth. We will be caravanning that morning.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you guys there.

It's in the early early stages, but we're in the process of setting up a burlesque show for Friday night. Danielle from American Pickers leads a burlesque troupe, frequents LeClaire and is buddy-buddy with a lot of the scooter peeps in this area. It's not set in stone, but I'd wager on it happening.

Orange Guy, Inc.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Orange Guy wrote:Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you guys there.

Danielle from American Pickers leads a burlesque troupe, frequents LeClaire and is buddy-buddy with a lot of the scooter peeps in this area. It's not set in stone, but I'd wager on it happening.
Sweet!! Love a good burlesque show and American Pickers too.

Update: we have now have 6 registered for the rally.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

iMoses wrote:Update: we have now have 6 registered for the rally.
Sweet. I'll send you some gift certificates to an eats joint in Le Claire for you to use while you're there. We have a couple left over from last year and since you guys jumped on the registration, they're yours.

See ya in a few weeks ...

Orange Guy, Inc.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Orange Guy wrote:
iMoses wrote:Update: we have now have 6 registered for the rally.
Sweet. I'll send you some gift certificates to an eats joint in Le Claire for you to use while you're there. We have a couple left over from last year and since you guys jumped on the registration, they're yours.

See ya in a few weeks ...
Very cool of you to do so... we are looking forward to the rally.

Do you need my address? Or do you have my info when my wife signed us up?
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

iMoses wrote:Do you need my address? Or do you have my info when my wife signed us up?
I can get it from the reg info.

Orange Guy, Inc.
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

Ok, I'm registered. I can't belive I am going to ride 150 miles! I have never gone more than 40 miles at one time. OMG what am I getting myself into?
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Dean F wrote:OMG what am I getting myself into?
One hell of a good time!

Orange Guy, Inc.
tbone99

Post by tbone99 »

I think your link is broken. It says domain expired. Is the rally still on? I'm trying to get a group from Omaha to go.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Just got back from the Dam Ride III, at Bagnell Dam in Ozark Lake. MO

We are stoked... and can't wait for June!!!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Tomorrow is only a day away....

See you then!!!
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

tbone99 wrote:I think your link is broken. It says domain expired. Is the rally still on? I'm trying to get a group from Omaha to go.
It's still on! We had some transfer issues ... but either the .com or .org will work. Also, we're on facebook.

Friday

5 p.m. - Registration at pavillion
all evening - socialize, informal rides along the river
9 p.m. - Burlesque Show on the riverfront

Saturday

9:30-10:30 a.m. - breakfast & late registration at Welcome Center
10:30 a.m. - ride leaves
1:30 p.m. - eat pizza
afternoon - freetime
3-6 p.m. - show & shine
6:30 p.m. - gymkhana
7 p.m. - motorcycle stunt guys
evening - dinner
9 p.m. - bands on the river

Sunday

10:30 a.m. - Breakfast at Bier Stube in Le Claire

Orange Guy, Inc.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Had a blast at The Knuckle Draggers rally this past weekend.

Here are two pictures, one is of my wife's Cheetak and our Buddy.
The other is of me and Rudolf the Reindeer...
taken at the Antique Archeology (the American Pickers shop).
Attachments
Me and Rudolf
Me and Rudolf
Rudolf and I.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Cheetak & Buddy
Cheetak & Buddy
Buddy & Cheetak.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
Dean F

Post by Dean F »

Thank you to everyone from the Knuckle Draggers Scooter Club. Southern hospitality in Iowa. You graciously welcomed everyone with open arms. You are the best!

God willing, I will see you all next year.
Member 2715
Chrome Rear Rack
Genuine Top Case
Black Grips
Chrome Front Rack
Garmin GPS & Ram Mount
PIAA HS1
13g Dr. Pully Sliders
Everstart 9-BS AGM Battery
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Thanks to all the MBers who made the trip to the Quad Cities (really Le Claire)! Because you had a blast, we had a blast.

Get ready for KDSC Rally 2011: Monkey Sea, Monkey Doo ... June 10-12.

Orange Guy, Inc.