Amerivespa 2010 - Meetup? Lodging? Ect....

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okeh, I'm all registered, flight booked, scooter trailer space reserved!

I noticed Monday is a ride from SA to Austin. Anyone have a rough estimate on how long this would take? I'm flying out Monday night, but would love to do this and maybe even meet up with some Austinite friends I haven't seen in all-too-many years.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

We are planning a ride to Austin on Saturday since there are no afternoon rides. You should come along then, Eric! Polly is in charge of that one.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll think about it! I'll be working the GoGo Gear booth some of the time then, too.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

pugbuddy, I'm sure you're not referring to me as I won't even have a scooter there! Crossing my fingers someone will lend me one.... :D
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

polianarchy wrote:pugbuddy, I'm sure you're not referring to me as I won't even have a scooter there! Crossing my fingers someone will lend me one.... :D
Well, if that guy ever calls me back, if his scooter starts and isn't as beat-to-hell as mine, I'll have a spare Stella. Getting two scooters there will be another trick altogether.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lmyers wrote:Well, if that guy ever calls me back, if his scooter starts and isn't as beat-to-hell as mine, I'll have a spare Stella. Getting two scooters there will be another trick altogether.
Yeah, I figured you'd be riding Stella down, not trailering. Was that trailer Nancy's or yours?
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

[quote="polianarchy]Yeah, I figured you'd be riding Stella down, not trailering. Was that trailer Nancy's or yours?[/quote]

That beauty is mine, but I was planning to ride down and have Sabrina trailer down the Elite, since she was going to Chaos in Tejas. But then she decided she'd rather go see a show in Dallas so now I guess I can ride one scooter a mile, get off and run back to get the other and ride it two miles....

Or find someone else trailering down from around here and hide my spare on their trailer 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:pugbuddy, I'm sure you're not referring to me as I won't even have a scooter there! Crossing my fingers someone will lend me one.... :D
Wha…?! No scooter?! Have you looked into rentals?
maribell

Post by maribell »

ericalm wrote:Okeh, I'm all registered, flight booked, scooter trailer space reserved!

I noticed Monday is a ride from SA to Austin. Anyone have a rough estimate on how long this would take? I'm flying out Monday night, but would love to do this and maybe even meet up with some Austinite friends I haven't seen in all-too-many years.
If you can go without stopping, it will take 2 hours. The more you stop, and the more people in the group, the longer it will take.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hm… Wondering if I'll have time to ride out, see friends, and make it back for my flight. Also depends on when the trailer is leaving…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:
Wha…?! No scooter?! Have you looked into rentals?
I wrote a Vespa shop
that rents back in January
ModBud #442
maribell

Post by maribell »

Vespa Alamo Heights? You might need to ask a few times before you get an answer. The same guy owns the Austin shop and that is how it is down here.
susieq

Post by susieq »

start making plans. the place will be book up if it's not already.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Yes, Vespa Alamo Heights. Um, nevermind...they need a $1,500 freeze on a credit card! Not happening. :oops:
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Oh, Poliana, that's insane! I'll get a scooter down there for ya somehow. Let's just hope it's a spare Stella and not the Hellite.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

i just finished registering. Should i be expecting a packet in the mail?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Not sure about a packet in the mail. I never received one.... My impression is "no", we'll just get everything when we get down there. But I could be wrong....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

No, I don't think there's a packet. We got everything at the event check in last year.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

w00t! Just signed up!!! It has begun. :twisted:

BTW, today is the last day for the early bird sign-up five bonus raffle tickets. So, that's cool. http://www.amerivespa.org/
ModBud #442
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

its official! registered and ready to go!!!! :D :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:w00t! Just signed up!!! It has begun. :twisted:

BTW, today is the last day for the early bird sign-up five bonus raffle tickets. So, that's cool. http://www.amerivespa.org/
Thanks for the reminder! Just registered.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

since r0sa and i are from austin, we can take hwy 281 all the way to austin. it roughly takes 2 hours on a buddy 125cc
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:since r0sa and i are from austin, we can take hwy 281 all the way to austin. it roughly takes 2 hours on a buddy 125cc
Good to know. I guess (for me) a trip to Austin really depends on timing, when the guys with the trailer are pulling out, etc.

I miss Austin and even other parts of TX. :)
It's been way too long!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

We'll be taking 281 from the DFW area to San Antonio and passing through Austin, I believe, on our way down! I guess we'll double back to Austin that Saturday as a side trip!
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

So is there a group (maybe from Okla) making a pit stop or layover in Ft Worth?

Seems like we saw a post somewhere a while back. We may have one Buddy rider making the trip on two wheels - seems everyone else is booked for the weekend!

Any travel tips for a 7 hour ride?

Worst case, we can drive down with the Buddy in the truck bed.

Thanks,
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Yep, we'll be coming down from Tulsa on a two day ride. Stopping in Fort Worth and then on to San Antonio. You're welcome to join in if you like!

7 hour rides are not difficult. Just stay at a comfortable speed (hint: WOT is great) and take a comfy lunch break at the restaurant of your choice. Plan your ride distance based on 45 mph and you'll make your destination with time to spare, even if you run into an issue along the way. :D

You can drive down with the Buddy in the truck bed, no doubt. Just strap it in well so it doesn't bounce around.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I've got a couple of friends coming in from Arkansas that are looking to split room costs. Anyone have room for two more guys?
MYSCTR

Route Maps?

Post by MYSCTR »

If we can make this happen - are y'all staying in one local hotel or a designated start location and time picked out?

Also, do you have a route map of the ride south of Ft Worth we could get a copy of? We will have to plot getting from McKinney to Ft Worth or at least tie into 281 somewhere if that is the route you will follow to SA - will be a pretty drive!

Am trying to talk two of the kids into going - meaning drive the truck while I scoot (can't fit three in the truck) which means I would have support.

Thanks!
polianarchy

Re: Route Maps?

Post by polianarchy »

MYSCTR wrote:If we can make this happen - are y'all staying in one local hotel or a designated start location and time picked out?
There's the official rally hotel, but some of us are staying at other hotels, motels, and some campsites.
Last edited by polianarchy on Wed May 12, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

We're staying at the Courtyard San Antonio Downtown/Market Square that has free parking and was about $30/night less.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

I'll clarify - on your tip down from Tulsa, are y'all making a layover in Ft Worth? If so, where or where and what time would you leave the next morning? If you are driving straight through, do you have a route from Ft Worth and south we could get and do you have an estimated time you will be cruising through Ft Worth if we were able to hook up with y'all for the rest of the trip to S/A?

We are guessing you will go to Hico to head south on 281 so we could meet or catch y'all on 67 from Cleburne or Glen Rose (if that is the route) or at least by Hico.

Thanks!
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I'll have to defer this to pugbuddy. I was planning to ride down, but since the red Stella is not running right now, I've decided to be cautious and trailer down. I know he's planning to spend Wednesday night in Dallas and then head east and pick up 281, just not sure exactly where.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

lmyers wrote: ...Wednesday night in Dallas and then head east and pick up 281, just not sure exactly where.
Thanks - he may be driving for quite some time looking for 281 east of Dallas since it is west of Ft Worth :?

I'll watch for their replies here - thanks!
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Which is why I suck at directions! So, yeah, he's going the other east... west?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'll clarify - on your tip down from Tulsa, are y'all making a layover in Ft Worth? If so, where or where and what time would you leave the next morning? If you are driving straight through, do you have a route from Ft Worth and south we could get and do you have an estimated time you will be cruising through Ft Worth if we were able to hook up with y'all for the rest of the trip to S/A?
Yes, Laura will not be our navigator on the way down! :lol:

We haven't gotten together to iron out the gritty details yet. My aunt is in FW so I'm planning on staying with her (She's actually in Richardson on East Buckinham; I need to Google it to find out exactly where). Not sure of anyone else's plans at this time (we need a rally meeting!).

I imagine we'll leave FW no later than 8:00am the next day to scoot down to SA. We can definitely meet up and go together if you're interested!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Everyone who's going: We should post pics of ourselves & our scoots here so we can recognize each other. There may be a MV meetup on Saturday; I'll check the schedule and see about combining it with MB.

I want to make sure to meet everyone who goes! Free MB patches!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Free patches! Awesome! Thanks, Eric!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Everyone who's going: We should post pics of ourselves & our scoots here so we can recognize each other.
Here's me:
ModBud #442
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

polianarchy wrote:
ericalm wrote:Everyone who's going: We should post pics of ourselves & our scoots here so we can recognize each other.
Here's me:
And she'll be riding this:

or this (if I fix it fast enough):
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I am currently scooterless for Amerivespa! :cry:

My trailer fell through at the last minute. Bah. Looking into some options.

If anyone knows someone trailering from SoCal, let me know! I will give them cash money! Ka-CHING!
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

This is me. Sadly, I have not changed in many many years. Kachoo (pug) will not be attending!

gearhead

Post by gearhead »

I am interested in riding down to san antonio from austin with r0sa and another friend, Macy.... The only thing is that we fear that 5 days of luggage will not fit on our scooters. I would like to rendezvous with you guys on 281 and ride all the way down to san antonio from austin. If there is space on your truck, do you think we could pay to put some luggage in there when we meet up with you guys on HWY 281?

Ericalm: You can use a shipping service called "USHIP.COM" and find someone to trailer your scooter to SA for a price $$$ or if that fails, i might have an extra you can rent. Let me know.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

gearhead wrote:I am interested in riding down to san antonio from austin with r0sa and another friend, Macy.... The only thing is that we fear that 5 days of luggage will not fit on our scooters. I would like to rendezvous with you guys on 281 and ride all the way down to san antonio from austin. If there is space on your truck, do you think we could pay to put some luggage in there when we meet up with you guys on HWY 281?

Ericalm: You can use a shipping service called "USHIP.COM" and find someone to trailer your scooter to SA for a price $$$ or if that fails, i might have an extra you can rent. Let me know.
A friend and I are hauling our scooters down on Thursday and will come through Austin late in the afternoon, early evening. If you'd like us to meet you there, we'll be happy to add your stuff to the pile.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Ok, the Tulsa "group" has dwindled to a possible Dynamic Duo of me and maybe one other guy riding down. We're still good with hooking up in Ft. Worth and Austin with everyone else and zipping down to San Antonio as an actual group if everyone is still interested! Let me know!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

hmmm... no one is passing through austin wednesday afternoon/night? the thursday ride starts at 8:30/9:00 am
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

it starts that early IF you want to go tubing down the river
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

we're going to that, right?
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Watch out for snakes!
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

we are going tubing!!