LA/OC/South Bay/etc. Swerve 'N' Curve X: August 21-23

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

LA/OC/South Bay/etc. Swerve 'N' Curve X: August 21-23

Post by ericalm »

We're having LA Scooter Meetup Group Rides from the north to Torrance and Santa Monica on Saturday and Sunday for those who'd like to join us.

http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/

from MV…
GRX Scooter wrote:Image

Hello, everyone. I'd like to invite you all to the 10th SWERVE 'N' CURVE SCOOTER RALLY next month, August 21-23. All scooters are welcome.

If you've never been to this SoCal classic rally, you should definitely come out. It's all about having good times, good rides with good folks. If you have been, then you know it's always a great way to wrap up the local summer riding season.

Check out this gallery of the best pics from past Swerve N Curve Rallys, 2001-2008: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/564141215iFtZKb

Below is the initial itinerary for this year's rally. We are still finalizing some things, so keep checking this post, or go to the SWERVE N CURVE INFO PAGE at this link: http://www.southbayscooterclub.com/sbsc ... snc10.html

FRIDAY, AUGUST 21:

7:30PM: Meet 'n' greet at TBD. Early comers can buy rally packs and raffle tickets here.

9PM: Night time SNC Beach Ride #1; we will take a quick ride along the South Bay beaches, then come back to the original location where we took off from, to hook up with the stragglers and scooterists who missed us.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 22:

11AM: Meet at South Bay Vespa, 18425 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, CA 90504. Be sure to get your RIDE MAP for the day's ride, which will be handed out here. You can also get rally packs here.

(If you're coming from the North: Meet at Cock N Bull Pub, at 2947 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405, at 9:30am; ride leaves at 10:30AM for Claim Jumper's)

12noon: Ride leaves for the famous South Bay Swerve 'N' Curve route around Palos Verdes.

We will end the ride at TBD. Rally packs will be available here, as well.

Evening ride/festivities:
8PM: Meet at Cock N Bull Pub for Night time Beach Ride #2, sponsored by the Westside SC. 2947 Lincoln Blvd. (cross street Ashland), Santa Monica, CA 90405, (310) 399-9696. This ride is for Italian scooters only - please respect our wishes.

9PM: Ride leaves for Night time Beach Ride #2, the popular "Venice Canals Ride".

10PM: Arrive at Bar Melody for the Swerve N Curve version of the Westside Soul Club. Bar Melody is located at 9132 Sepulveda Blvd., Westchester, CA 90405, (310) 670-1994.

DJ's playing the best of Reggae, Soul, Brit Pop, Ska & Mod all night long:
Jesse Trejo (WSSC), Jason Lawless (Ram Jam Club), Ted Morris (Trojan Lounge), Kristin Storli (WSSC / Bar Italia), DJ Kev (Club Impact) and Sean Needham (WSSC)

Those with Rally Packs get 1/2 off cover of $5.
Regular admission $5 before 11pm, $8 afterwards.
Ladies FREE before 10:30pm. FULL BAR / All ages.

FREE Scooter Parking

Rally packs will be available here

SUNDAY, AUGUST 23:

11AM: Meet at Cock N Bull Pub, at 2947 Lincoln Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405. Be sure to get your RIDE MAP for the day's ride, which will be handed out here. If there are any left, rally packs will be available for sale here.

12noon: Ride leaves for our famous "Beach Cities Cruise" along the beaches in the South Bay.

We will be ending the ride at TBD.

Scooter show and awards to follow.

End of Rally

Itinerary is subject to change, so please keep checking the South Bay & Westside websites:
http://www.southbayscooterclub.com
http://www.westsidescootclub.com

PLEASE GAS UP BEFORE ALL RIDES!

FOR MORE INFORMATION, please keep visiting this webpage: http://www.southbayscooterclub.com/sbsc ... snc10.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Ya know I'm in for both days! Sweeeeeet!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

hmmmm.... maybe this is more doable than the RBSC. hmmm..........
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer wrote:hmmmm.... maybe this is more doable than the RBSC. hmmm..........
Only a week later!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ericalm wrote:
Only a week later!
yes and decidedly less gear required to haul. Totally gonna think on whether Tahoe would be THAT much more of an adventure since I've never been to any rally, my first is going to be plenty adventure, right?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jijifer wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Only a week later!
yes and decidedly less gear required to haul. Totally gonna think on whether Tahoe would be THAT much more of an adventure since I've never been to any rally, my first is going to be plenty adventure, right?
I'll bet you could get some San Diego Meetup folks interested in riding up... [come on... ya know ya wanna... :) ]

jijifer

Post by jijifer »

question - that ride on saturday at 8pm says "italian scooters" only and then there's one at 9pm - are all scooters welcome to the 9pm? Are we gonna get grief for being our buddys at this rally?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer wrote:question - that ride on saturday at 8pm says "italian scooters" only and then there's one at 9pm - are all scooters welcome to the 9pm? Are we gonna get grief for being our buddys at this rally?
Not for having Buddys at the rally. There were several there last year and many modern scooters of various types.

I think the 8pm/9pm Saturday rides are the same—meet at 8, depart at 9.

South Bay Scooter Club is very open to all models and scooters. Co-sponsor West Side Scooter Club is less so. They just had their own vintage rally, sheesh.

Anyway, I think that's the only ride that's exclusive like this. I haven't done any of the nighttime stuff, so have sort of avoided that whole thing altogether.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ericalm wrote:
jijifer wrote:question - that ride on saturday at 8pm says "italian scooters" only and then there's one at 9pm - are all scooters welcome to the 9pm? Are we gonna get grief for being our buddys at this rally?
Not for having Buddys at the rally. There were several there last year and many modern scooters of various types.

I think the 8pm/9pm Saturday rides are the same—meet at 8, depart at 9.

South Bay Scooter Club is very open to all models and scooters. Co-sponsor West Side Scooter Club is less so. They just had their own vintage rally, sheesh.

Anyway, I think that's the only ride that's exclusive like this. I haven't done any of the nighttime stuff, so have sort of avoided that whole thing altogether.
Interesting - were you gonna go?

My self-esteem is fragile. I don't need people turning down their noses at me my first rally. Do you think this would be a good 'first' for me? It's ok to say "nah, if you are thinned skinned, maybe this crowd isn't best". I can live with that.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, the vintage snobs are going to be the vintage snobs. There will be some there, but I assure you they won't say anything! We haven't gotten any grief at this rally before.

Among the modern Vespa crowd, the Buddy seems to have plenty of cred.

Last year there were a mix of all kinds of scoots there. The LA group I'm coming with for the day rides will have at least 2 Buddys with us. There's a good possibility there will be more as well as other models of who knows what.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Something to chew on. Derrick, my partner in scoot crime, can't do this and really wants to do Tahoe. This one would be way easier. It would just be nice to have a wingman at a rally. sure friends are made onsite.

anyways. i'm thinking. thanks for the heads up and the insight on the groups.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, we'll be there! Other SD riders are probably coming up. I don't know if any of the Bastards will be up for it so soon after Tahoe, but you could probably hook up with some others just for the ride up.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I posted the query to our meetup. We'll see. So you live close enough to drive home, right?

My friend Derrick is full on RBSC and his enthusiasm is infectious. His boyfriend will be caging it and while we can't tote the scoots, we can tote everything else in the car meaning we'll have happy, happy go-go scooting up the 395. It's a total of close to 500miles each way for us Diegans so we'll camp Thursday night somewhere about 250 miles in.

I think this will be fun guys, maybe think on coming with us. I've never been to tahoe, the RBSC San Diego contingent are nice folks. C'mon! RBSC TAHOE!!!

So this would mean 2 weekends of rallies. not a big deal but in that case I may skip trying to meet friday night but get up there, sleep and be ready for the day. It'd be a no-brainer if folks were camping so it wasn't like I was just riding to Torrance to have 2 day rides, you know?
bluefox

Post by bluefox »

Awesome artwork for the rally!
ImageImage
Angela

Post by Angela »

jijifer wrote:I posted the query to our meetup. We'll see. So you live close enough to drive home, right?

My friend Derrick is full on RBSC and his enthusiasm is infectious. His boyfriend will be caging it and while we can't tote the scoots, we can tote everything else in the car meaning we'll have happy, happy go-go scooting up the 395. It's a total of close to 500miles each way for us Diegans so we'll camp Thursday night somewhere about 250 miles in.

I think this will be fun guys, maybe think on coming with us. I've never been to tahoe, the RBSC San Diego contingent are nice folks. C'mon! RBSC TAHOE!!!

So this would mean 2 weekends of rallies. not a big deal but in that case I may skip trying to meet friday night but get up there, sleep and be ready for the day. It'd be a no-brainer if folks were camping so it wasn't like I was just riding to Torrance to have 2 day rides, you know?
I want to see pics of you, Derrick and Able at a scooter rally!!!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Angela wrote:
jijifer wrote:I posted the query to our meetup. We'll see. So you live close enough to drive home, right?

I want to see pics of you, Derrick and Able at a scooter rally!!!
I'm sure there will be plenty of photographic evidence :D
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Cool...... another Derrick that scootz!!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Derrick wrote:

I'm sure you've met him. He was on the ride where I had my accident. He rides a new dark blue Vespa 250 GTV. Nicest kid. Able wasn't with him on that ride but he is on most.

YOU should come!
Derrick

Post by Derrick »

jijifer wrote:
Derrick wrote:

I'm sure you've met him. He was on the ride where I had my accident. He rides a new dark blue Vespa 250 GTV. Nicest kid. Able wasn't with him on that ride but he is on most.

YOU should come!
You know, I think I also saw them at Motorsport one day but haven't been introduced formally. My partner doesn't scoot sadly.... but I'm working on that. Maybe I should ask Able to have a word with him!! LOL
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Derrick wrote:
jijifer wrote:
Derrick wrote: Cool...... another Derrick that scootz!!

YOU should come!
You know, I think I also saw them at Motorsport one day but haven't been introduced formally. My partner doesn't scoot sadly.... but I'm working on that. Maybe I should ask Able to have a word with him!! LOL
Able is a total sweetheart. That GTV is a sharp ride where 2up is comfy - even so, Able wouldn't ride hundreds of miles on the back. But yeah, he could tell your mate the virtues and fun of scooting!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

[bump] Comin' up soon! Our LA Scooter MeetUp Group has rides heading to the rally on both days. Come join us!

purple

LA/OC/South bay

Post by purple »

Are you guys stopping in at Hennessey's Sunday after your ride? If
you're going to the Tavern, I'll meet you for a drink! I live within walking distance! :D
Last edited by purple on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I'm planning on it. It would be good to meet you Purple. Unfortunately as it turns out I may only be able to attend one of the two days :( I don't know which day yet... but whichever day I am there, I'll be having fun :D

purple

Re: LA/OC/South bay

Post by purple »

purple wrote:Are you guys stopping in at Hennessey's Sunday after your ride? If
you're going to the Tavern, I'll meet you for a drink! I live within walking distance! :D
I just traded my trip with someone, so I won't be here Sunday after all. Next time!!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Where are the swerve and curve pictures?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer wrote:Where are the swerve and curve pictures?
Oh, working on it! :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer

Post by jijifer »

what's in the rally pack? If there's an extra patch laying around, Derrick would pee his pants for it :) are many outta towners there? You don't do the night rides, correct? Ok that enough questions pre- breakfast. Have fun!O
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer wrote:
what's in the rally pack? If there's an extra patch laying around, Derrick would pee his pants for it :) are many outta towners there? You don't do the night rides, correct? Ok that enough questions pre- breakfast. Have fun!O
T-shirt, patch, button, SB Vespa license plate frame, some postcads.
No extras, but he may be able to buy one from the South Bay Scooter Club via their site: http://southbayscooterclub.com
Or email Mario: mario@southbayscooterclub.com
Not too many out of towners this year. Overall, the turnout for the rides I was on was smaller than past couple of years. I think coming off Amerivespa, Tahoe and various other things this year, folks are tapped out!
I didn't do the night stuff. Too far to come back up to LA!

Sunday pics to come later!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

More pics added. Included: Buddy with a surfboard rack at Route 66.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82788703@N ... 991956023/