Salton Sea

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

Salton Sea

Post by Howardr »

I am now registered for the Salton Sea scooter endurance rally. Are there any other modern Buddy folks planning on riding in it?

I hope to meet some folks out there

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Good for you! I doubt I'll be riding in it but think we will have a group riding out to the event to cheer, hoot, and holler.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
thumbuddy

Post by thumbuddy »

Where do we get details for the Salton Sea Rally
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

is there a route posted? the 86 in no joke and really no place for low profile scooters under 250cc. It's windy, windy and a truck route so lots of speeding semis.

I'm not sure there are surface streets that loop around the Salton Sea. Heck, getting just to a shore line is near impossible on the West side.

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone. I'm simply wondering if the 86 is a major part of the route if they will make it at least 150cc requirement (to be legal in CA)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I am probably riding in it; still working out details (i.e., money, lodging).

One issue is that I think it's the same weekend as Rides of March in San Luis Obispo, which I was also hoping to attend!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ericalm wrote:I am probably riding in it; still working out details (i.e., money, lodging).

One issue is that I think it's the same weekend as Rides of March in San Luis Obispo, which I was also hoping to attend!
this may be a little ways away but heck, Salton Sea stinks so a ways a way is good :)

http://www.hicksville.com/motel.html
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

and hey! if folks want to go and cheer but don't want to ride the endurance thingy maybe we can do a side - meetup. I've wanted to do Salvation Mountain which is on the South East side of the Salton Sea. Just a thought :)
thumbuddy

Post by thumbuddy »

I rounded the Salton Sea on a Buddy 150 about a year ago. The 86 is okay in the southern area but up north is hairy and there are, as jijifer said, lots and lots of big trucks. I would love to take that ride. Previously "tomhickey"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Event info:
http://www.motorscooterlandspeedfederat ... rally.html

Registration is not cheap ($125-$150), and doing the rally will probably require a 2-night (min.) stay out there.

Registration ends in 67 days, whenever that is.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't know how this will be much of a spectator event. It's a nearly 400-mile loop! If I enter, I'm not stopping to chat. :P
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:I don't know how this will be much of a spectator event. It's a nearly 400-mile loop! If I enter, I'm not stopping to chat. :P
I see your point about the spectator thing.

Hmmm... so then it's Rides of March or this. That's a very tough call. The stinky Salton Sea, or the Beautiful Central California Coastline... there will be crazy people at both, so that parts a wash :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote:I don't know how this will be much of a spectator event. It's a nearly 400-mile loop! If I enter, I'm not stopping to chat. :P

Hmmm... so then it's Rides of March or this. That's a very tough call. The stinky Salton Sea, or the Beautiful Central California Coastline... there will be crazy people at both, so that parts a wash :P
I think ROM's primarily a camping rally this year.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
Actually, I think it's about a 130 mile loop and the total ride is 3 laps around for a total of 396 miles. Still not great for spectating, but better than a single loop.

I'm tenatively planning to ride it on Iron Buddy. I could do the RV250, but not much of a challenge.

Howard
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:

I think ROM's primarily a camping rally this year.
Actually, I can't find ANY info on ROM… Nothing in scoot.net calendar… Maybe it's cancelled…?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jijifer wrote:
ericalm wrote:I am probably riding in it; still working out details (i.e., money, lodging).

this may be a little ways away but heck, Salton Sea stinks so a ways a way is good :)

http://www.hicksville.com/motel.html
Niiiiiiice! I may go there just for the hell of it.
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

Hey Howard, I might be interested in doing it. How much is registration? I didn't see that listed on their site.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

soundofsingles wrote:Hey Howard, I might be interested in doing it. How much is registration? I didn't see that listed on their site.
Their site blows. You have to apply to get to the point where you find out registration is $125.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

soundofsingles wrote:Hey Howard, I might be interested in doing it. How much is registration? I didn't see that listed on their site.
They have only asked for $99 so far, but I think I'll have to get a "racing license" eventually as well. The site is difficult to navigate. Maybe they only want determined people to register. :shock:

Howard
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:
They have only asked for $99 so far, but I think I'll have to get a "racing license" eventually as well. The site is difficult to navigate. Maybe they only want determined people to register. :shock:

Howard
You also have to get the passport for $25.
Scootermeister

Salton Sea T.T. 396-Mile Endurance Rally

Post by Scootermeister »

We got the message! The website and the event poster have been updated. Thank you very much for pointing this out to us.
Attachments
New Salton Sea T.T. Poster 02-01-2011.JPG
New Salton Sea T.T. Poster 02-01-2011.JPG (152.32 KiB) Viewed 2089 times
Scootermeister

Salton Sea T.T. 396-Mile Endurance Rally

Post by Scootermeister »

:D
Last edited by Scootermeister on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Looks like I'm bound for ROM.

Good luck endurance riders!
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

Arlene Battishill, one of the competitors, posted a good story about the event on her blog...

http://scooter-girls.com/wp/?p=676
Scootermeister

Salton Sea T.T.

Post by Scootermeister »

Article, pix and video posted to www.motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

And my friend and fellow Sky Island Rider, Stan Scott, took second place, overall.

Way to go, Stan!

Howard
Scootermeister

Stanton Scott

Post by Scootermeister »

2nd Place Overall! Salton Sea T.T. 396-Mile Endurance Rally.
Attachments
Stanton S. ~ 2nd Place Overall.jpg
Stanton S. ~ 2nd Place Overall.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
Scootermeister

MSILSF Salton Sea 396-Mile Endurance Race

Post by Scootermeister »

National Motorcycle Freestyle Champions Nick "Apex" Brocha's and Ernie Vigil's video of the race:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqG8VUQprh4

Hell's Loop beckons. Whoo-yeah!