MSILSF Land-Speed

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scootermeister

MSILSF Land-Speed

Post by Scootermeister »

MSILSF is negotiating the use of an 8,000' x 200' level paved runway for its next Land-Speed event. Hopefully we'll have some good news by mid-August.
Attachments
SCTA 2011 Bonneville Entry Form.pdf
(193.42 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by Scootermeister on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scootermeister

AMA/BUB Bonneville

Post by Scootermeister »

On Thursday, July 7th, I had a lengthy and pleasant conversation with Dennis Manning of AMA/BUB Racing fame. Scooters are welcome at Bonneville in 2011 (Late Entry Fee) running under AMA and/or FIM Rules. This requires metal valve stems, drilled/safety-wired axle nuts and drain plug, Snell approved full-coverage helmet, full leathers, boots and gloves.
Tires must be appropriately rated for anticipated speed.

I attempted, albeit unsuccessfully, to secure MSILSF sanction of scooters for AMA/BUB Bonneville 2012. Dennis told me if land-speed scooters wish to run at Bonneville, they must run strictly under AMA/FIM Rules, per their pre and late entry fee structure.

If you'd like to attempt a land speed record in 2011, please enter as soon as possible. You must also secure accommodation in Wendover, UT, which may be extremely difficult and expensive at this late date.
Scootermeister

MSILSF Land-Speed Venue Search

Post by Scootermeister »

Unfortunately MSILSF is not hosting Land-Speed in 2011. Executive Vice-President Capt. Laurito (Sidecar Land-Speed Record Holder) has been diligently working to find us a suitable venue. Most recently he has been in negotiations with the administration of Naval Air Station Chase Field in Texas, who control an 8,000' x 250' paved level runway. We have also sent e-mail to the Bureau of Land Management field office that controls the Bonneville Salt Flat, with out the courtesy of a reply.

After the commentary in ScootMagazine.com (February 2011 issue) as regards our using Route 66 as an alternative to canceling the event, we're hesitant to re-book that venue.

"So what's wrong with this stretch of Historic Route 66? Why were no records set? It boils down to three things: space, incline, and precipitation. When attempting land speed records one needs enough space to get up to maximum speed, in some cases more than a mile. This course was only 3/4 of a mile, which included the deceleration space."

Similarly, we're hesitant to re-book El Mirage Dry Lake because of the legal requirements -- vis-a-vis expense -- demanded by the Bureau of Land Management's Barstow Field Office as a result of the August 2010 calamity at Soggy Dry Lake.

The Mojave Mile folks have the runway there tied up and charge exorbitant fees. We attempted to inquire of 2010 Land-Speed participants if they'd pay $250 entry fees, but we only received one reply -- and it was negative.

Just as soon as we find a suitable venue and/or major corporate sponsor that will permit us to stage Land-Speed as a break-even event, we'll book the venue and get about the business of advertising.
Scootermeister

El Mirage Dry Lake, CA

Post by Scootermeister »

Interesting place to visit, but I definitely would not want to live there. Please check out the youtube.com narrated video for further information about Motor-Scooter Land-Speed 2012. (Yes, I actually go to some of these gawdforsaken places!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkjGe8HI_UE