(DC) Monuments in the Moonlight / Warriors of the Night

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

(DC) Monuments in the Moonlight / Warriors of the Night

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I know there are some new scooter peeps in the DC area and probably a lot of lurkers, so check it out... and join our meetup group already!

Take a grand scooter tour of the Nations Capital, nearly free of cars, annoying tourists, the miserable heat, all while amped up on donuts and coffee!

When: August 7, 2011 10:30pm
Where: Krispy Kreme Donuts, 1350 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington DC
Click HERE for the official meetup announcement.

This is the first late night cruise. I thought late Sunday night would be good, roads will be pretty desolate and not full of drunks like Friday or Saturday night. Let's meet up, get our donut and coffee on, then head out around 11pm and see our beautiful city under the cover of night and the light of the moon (and other artificial lighting). So far the itinerary will be National Cathedral, Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Union Station, US Supreme Court, US Capitol (east side, then west side), Museum Row (north side), Museum row (south side), Jefferson Memorial and Tidal Basin (we can ride to the end of Haines Point if the road is open), FDR Memorial, World War 2 Memorial, Washington Monument, Watergate Hotel, Kennedy Center, Executive Office Bldg, White House (north side), Pennsylvania Ave (Old Post Office), Judiciary Square, Chinatown, White House (south side), Lincoln Memorial, Arlington House, Iwo Jima (Marine Corp Memorial). We'll stop at Iwo Jima for a break and if anyone wants to head out, that's a more central spot to do so. After that I'll take those interested on to the Pentagon, US Air Force Memorial and GW Masonic Temple. We'll take backroads to Alexandria, have another pit stop @ Krispy Kreme in Alex (open 24 hours). I'll head home afterwards back up GW Parkway past Gravelly Point back to Rosslyn.

This will be a 50cc capable ride. The usual rules, please have your scooter in good working order, fueled up and ready to go. Since it is at night, please have something reflective on. If there is any significant monuments I missed, please let me know. We can also take scenic breaks or photo stops in a few spots. Google maps is once again not cooperating with me, so I'm trying my best to map it out, but it will be approximately 45-50 miles or a little more from start to finish. Let's go out and chase some zombies around the Nations Capital!
BootScootin'FireFighter

*BUMP* since it's coming up soon!

www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=443939 <---- HERE's the route!! I'm looking forward to it, should be a good time. If there is any suggestions on changes, please let me know. The rest stops will be the Tidal Basin (mile 15.5), and a brief stop @ Iwo Jima Memorial (26.5). From there, anyone who doesn't want to make the trip to Alexandria can cut out. After that, we'll head south to the last few landmarks, then hit up Krispy kreme in Alex. Ride back up the GW Parkway to Memorial Circle to say our goodbyes until the next one. total trip, approx 48 miles.
BootScootin'FireFighter

the ride went well! We had 10 bikes, 11 people, including 3 buddy's and a stella. The highlight was the trip to Hains Point and back, very remote and the park was empty. The only light was from the city in the distance and our headlights. The route was cut short since it was getting late, but I was pretty stoked at leading a group ride for the first time. In the first pic, I'm on the left with the orange vest, and my lovely co-pilot on the right. The vest and reflective tape looks great in the camera light. The second pic is the group shot. Other then that, it was too dark to get good pictures, ya just had to be there.
mhgay89

Post by mhgay89 »

Wish I lived in Washington :( Looks like everyone had a good time.