3 bridges, 5 states, and 385 miles for a cheesesteak

Info on scooter gatherings of all types & sizes

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

3 bridges, 5 states, and 385 miles for a cheesesteak

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

My buddy Kevin (riding a Big Ruckus) and I were talking about doing a ride up to Philly, had a date set for 10/3, and made the trip. Of course, several variables were working against us. I worked the night before and had an unusually busy night, and the temperatures around here have been unseasonably cold. We met up and pushed off from Arlington @ 7:45, hit a bit of traffic getting through DC, but it was all good after we got past. We crossed the 395 bridge into DC, not my usual way into town, but it was like a warmup crossing. That's when the cold really started to hit. I knew I'd have to break out the northface down jacket at the first rest stop, but my fingers were unbearably cold. My instinct told me before we started that I should go by my apartment and get my leather gauntlets instead of the heavy duty kevlar, but I didn't think it would be an issue and didn't want to delay any more.

We got just past Annapolis and stopped for a breakfast sandwhich and coffee @ Wawa before hitting the first major bridge. Kev let me borrow his leather insulated gloves, which were perfect. Then came the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, man what a monster that thing is. It was really cool to be so high up above the water with such a long span. We blasted up 301 for a long stretch of farms and rural roads. Into Delaware, we stopped again for coffee in Odessa before continuing north. The next major bridge crossing, the Delaware Memorial Bridge, was also a thrill and we saw our destination far off into the horizon, Philadelphia. After exiting the highway just into NJ, we followed local roads through a few small towns and farms of S. Jersey into Woodbury. The last crossing was the Walt Whitman Bridge into Philadelphia.

We went to Jon's Bar and Grill on South Street for a cheesesteak and a beer. It honestly wasn't the best I've had, or even that great, but it was the ride that made it. Feeling pressed for time, we pushed on (with 2 subs to go), heading back southwest. On our way out of town, I saw a pink Buddy on the sidewalk, not sure if it was Polinarchy's or not, possibly. We pressed on through Chester, Wilmington, and south again on 301. Kevin's friend lived on the Eastern Shore and we dropped off the 2 subs before making our last bridge crossing at nightfall over the CBB again. It felt a lot more surreal crossing at night this time. The ride down 301 was awesome, drafting off of a truck most of the way, the sunset just ahead to our right, and lots of deer in the fields.

On another note, I crossed 15,000 miles while descending off of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at night, so not able to snap a picture of the odometer.

In the end, it was 358 miles total, 4 fuel stops, 4 major bridges, 5 states (3 of which were a first for "the mothership"), and about a 12 hour adventure. It felt very cold at times and we got caught in some light rain several times, but it became a quest we intended to finish. Not a bad endurance run.

The first crossing, DC's 14th St. Bridge

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

Delaware Memorial Bridge

Walt Whitman Bridge

Parked outside of Jon's for a bite to eat

viney266

Post by viney266 »

WAY TO GO!...Someone with my kind of stupidity...I have gone 400 miles for a killer cup of coffee, and over 300 for ice cream...And yeah, Did the Philly run for cheesesteaks ,too :)...That is the fun stuff adventures are made of!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Did they give you any problems crossing the bridges on a scoot? As in the toll booth people?...Just curious
BootScootin'FireFighter

viney266 wrote:Did they give you any problems crossing the bridges on a scoot? As in the toll booth people?...Just curious
None at all. We had to stop at the cash lanes and pay for both, and go through one at a time, but no problems. Surprisingly didn't get pulled over by any troopers either (there were plenty of them around). Probably just assumed I was fast enough to cross without any issues and figured I wasn't a moped.

BTW, another possible run will be up to York, PA for a maple donut. We're also looking to do a Maryland farms tour, back over the bay bridge, up 213 on the Eastern Shore, and across Harford and Northern Baltimore counties, then back down 97 towards home. Both would take us right through your area. If you're going to Indian Summer in Richmond, feel free to ride with us from DC.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Wow, the Chesapeake and Delaware bridges are monsters and just a nightmare to cross at rush hour. You should have tried Pat's or Geno's for the cheese steak, Visit Philly, unless you have already been to those places and were looking for something new. Congrats' on the 15,000, may you have 15,000 more. Overall it looks like you and Kevin had an awesome ride.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Only tourists eat at Pats & Genos. :wink:

Next time, let me know what's up, Chris. I'll take you to Ishkabibbles (or Tony Lukes, if you're into that sorta thing).
ModBud #442
BootScootin'FireFighter

polianarchy wrote:Only tourists eat at Pats & Genos. :wink:

Next time, let me know what's up, Chris. I'll take you to Ishkabibbles (or Tony Lukes, if you're into that sorta thing).
Thanky Poliana, you're right about Pat's and Genos, but I have been to both of those. I was going to announce it ahead of time, but we were very pressed for time. I saw a pink buddy without a windshield, and it had a pokadotted seat cover.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
viney266 wrote:Did they give you any problems crossing the bridges on a scoot? As in the toll booth people?...Just curious
None at all. We had to stop at the cash lanes and pay for both, and go through one at a time, but no problems. Surprisingly didn't get pulled over by any troopers either (there were plenty of them around). Probably just assumed I was fast enough to cross without any issues and figured I wasn't a moped.

BTW, another possible run will be up to York, PA for a maple donut. We're also looking to do a Maryland farms tour, back over the bay bridge, up 213 on the Eastern Shore, and across Harford and Northern Baltimore counties, then back down 97 towards home. Both would take us right through your area. If you're going to Indian Summer in Richmond, feel free to ride with us from DC.
^^^ THAT sounds like a blast...I"m still healing up from a torn rotater cuff, so I"m keeping rides short for now...BUT, I"m riding again...Healin slow, but getting there. I know a GREAT covered bridge route in PA that catches 9 bridges...and MAPLE donut...Now thats an excuse for a ride!. We will have to get together!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

What an awesome trip! I would so totally have gone with you were I living in the neighborhood.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

viney266 wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:

^^^ THAT sounds like a blast...I"m still healing up from a torn rotater cuff, so I"m keeping rides short for now...BUT, I"m riding again...Healin slow, but getting there. I know a GREAT covered bridge route in PA that catches 9 bridges...and MAPLE donut...Now thats an excuse for a ride!. We will have to get together!
Give me a holler when you do the York thing, I'll ride over and meet you guys.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BootScootin'FireFighter

yea, for sure. I'd like to do the maple donut ride before it gets too cold, or if we get a freakish warm weekend without work. I'll make a notification.
jamief

Cheesesteak run

Post by jamief »

Great ride guys. Need people to ride with here just outside of Philly.I would have loved that ride.