The Stella 4T: Delay, Frustration, Deposits, etc.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EvilTweety

Re: Poli, you could learn a lot from eric.

Post by EvilTweety »

adamj wrote:So that's how moderators act around here, no wonder the general population is up in arms.
+1!

Give the governor a harrumph!!
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I think you forgot this emoticon " :D " at the end of that statement. That's the only way it makes sense.

^^Both actually.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Did somebody say "TO ARMS!"?:twisted:
I've been ready for a tar'n anda featherin, ever since Krusty went missen!
Had my ol' timey pitchfork and torch jus ready ta go! :P :twisted:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

adamj wrote:So that's how moderators act around here, no wonder the general population is up in arms.
:?:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
adamj

Post by adamj »

Really? You're having trouble comprehending? Start at the beginning of this thread and see how a variety of folks have been feeling, treated and replied to. I cannot fathom your need for a question mark.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Who is the "general population"? People on forums get bent out of shape when new members start to call them out on stuff. Its trollish behavior. And in a thread with repetitive comments and tempers ready to flair. its kinda lame to call out moderators.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I guess its not really my fight. And if I continue I will become a hypocrite. I don't have a stella coming and I would be upset at the situation.......but that's not the current topic anymore is it?
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
laxer

Post by laxer »

adamj wrote:Really? You're having trouble comprehending? Start at the beginning of this thread and see how a variety of folks have been feeling, treated and replied to. I cannot fathom your need for a question mark.
Well, since you quoted no one, perhaps they are having trouble deciphering just which moderator's action you felt was out of line. There's no need to be a snide jackass as most of the time the problem with communication is that the person who states something is not clear. Now that you have clarified (as you may find very helpful in communication) everyone can understand you better. Cheers! :wink:
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I don't have a pony in this race so I'm left wondering how "no new news" would actually lessen frustration of those who wait. I foresee anger getting deeper not less with every time that message pops up.

a huge governmental agency has pulled these scoots aside to do an "extensive" review with no deadlines for anything. What huge governmental agency moves quickly let alone doing an "extensive" review.

This is a small shipment of scooters there are over 300million people in the country who's health the EPA is concerned with and we are talking about scooterists in the low 1000s who feel ripped off by the wait. Perspective is needed by those waiting.

you are owed nothing by your dealer or Genuine except the chance to pay for your scooter in-full when it arrives. Your only choices are to take your deposit back and go back to the end of the line when the EPA eventually releases the scooters. Or you can wait patiently for this "extensive" review to be done by a large governmental agency and be one of the first to get one.

It's really that simple. If you're this upset by lack of communication, you'd get super pissed to read "no new news" every damn day. Extensive review, Governmental Agency, no deadlines or estimates from EPA as to when they will be done. Genuine is cooperating on all accounts. That is all the news. When there's more news, you'll hear it.
jasondavis48108

adamj wrote:Really? You're having trouble comprehending? Start at the beginning of this thread and see how a variety of folks have been feeling, treated and replied to. I cannot fathom your need for a question mark.
Wow, I was confused because I assumed your comment was directed at a particlar comment and not a general sentiment and I didn't know what comment you were refering to. In the two years I've been on this forum I would have to say that the moderators are in general pretty damn awesome. Everyone has thier moments but they've always been really good at well moderating the forum and they're all volunteers so I figure they derserve a hi-five or something for taking our crap when we're in a pissy mood and a bit of leeway when they're in a pissy mood, as you must be in now to be such an arse when I was honestly not sure what you meant. At this point though, I really don't care what you meant, you kinda suck just a little right now.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Gary Sebben

Post by Gary Sebben »

jijifer wrote:I don't have a pony in this race so I'm left wondering how "no new news" would actually lessen frustration of those who wait...

It's really that simple. If you're this upset by lack of communication, you'd get super pissed to read "no new news" every damn day. Extensive review, Governmental Agency, no deadlines or estimates from EPA as to when they will be done. Genuine is cooperating on all accounts. That is all the news. When there's more news, you'll hear it.
Another person with no stake who feels the need to call us all stupid for being upset about this and should pull our deposit or STFU. Thanks, you're only the seventh person to make the same brilliant remarks.

Unfortunately, you don't even understand the situation properly. The EPA isn't the problem. That's just the way the fans have spun it. The scoots were 3 months late already when the EPA took them. The EPA IS just doing its job and good for them. If I cared nothing for the environment I wouldn't be getting a 4T. But its Genuine who's at fault for the majority of the delay. Please get your facts straight.

At what point is telling people to stop whining in a complaint thread considered trolling? Seriously? What do you expect people to say to you? How do you think you are helping?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Your not going to find the answers your looking for. But insulting others for insulting you won't help.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
jasondavis48108

Gary Sebben wrote:
jijifer wrote:I don't have a pony in this race so I'm left wondering how "no new news" would actually lessen frustration of those who wait...

Another person with no stake who feels the need to call us all stupid for being upset about this and should pull our deposit or STFU. Thanks, you're only the seventh person to make the same brilliant remarks.

Unfortunately, you don't even understand the situation properly. The EPA isn't the problem. That's just the way the fans have spun it. The scoots were 3 months late already when the EPA took them. The EPA IS just doing its job and good for them. If I cared nothing for the environment I wouldn't be getting a 4T. But its Genuine who's at fault for the majority of the delay. Please get your facts straight.

At what point is telling people to stop whining in a complaint thread considered trolling? Seriously? What do you expect people to say to you? How do you think you are helping?
Gary, I just want to say that on many points I agree with you. I certainly don't expect folks to not vent thier frustrations in this thread as that is this threads purpose. If I had a deposit down on a 4T Stella I'd be frustrated as hell with the situation and I might be a bit cheezed off at Genuine whether they did anything wrong or not. Its just natural to be pissed off when you thought you'd have your scooter by May and find out you won't have it till August. I think some of the folks here have even said that Genuine could work on thier communication skills and that does seem to be the case. I myself am suprised that they havn't given some sort of weekly update or even a hey, we havn't fogotten about you twitter post. I feel really bad for the folks that have to deal with these delays as I would not want to be without a scooter and that must suck quite a bit. If you pulled your deposit I wouldn't blame you. If you stick it out and feel like Genuine could have communicated better but you got an awesome scooter in the end, I wouldn't blame you either cause the 4T Stellas do look dead sexy. And to all of the folks who are waiting on thier 4Ts, you are more patient than I am. I wanted a Genuine Crusier and had to buy a new scooter cause I couldn't wait for it to come out so my hats off to you. I think we're all a bit tweeked here and I'm trying to remember that we're all on this forum cause we feel like Genuine scooters are awesome enough to hang out on the internet and talk about :D
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Gary Sebben wrote:

I don't have a 4T Stella axe to grind here either, but as a long-time scooterist and MB member I felt compelled to bring this up. I've got to agree with jiifer on this, and frankly you aren't the only one in the position of hurry-up-and-wait, and others (myself included) have been there, done that with other scooters. In my case, Vespa, AND Gen-u-whine products. Delayed product. Frustration. Angst.

Not trying to be a hater or an arse here, but based on your very low post-count, most of which appear to be complaints and kicking-screaming..I have to ask if your scooter is intended to be FUN, enhance the quality of your life, and be a positive thing?

If so, you may have passed the point of no return on the pleasure scale for your new Stella (or are making the appearance of being past that point) and maybe getting your deposit back, and moving on to something ELSE sooner-than-later may be in order. That way you can enjoy scooting...on SOMETHING.

Let's face it...there's a lot of really nice scooters available, it's a buyer's market, and you're clearly locked and loaded to buy. Granted, they aren't 4T Stellas, but those aren't available right now.

So, if you want to scoot....maybe consider doing just that...you're in a rarefied position to buy any number of great scooters. Now.

If you want a 4T Stella, well your option is to wait until you see the whites of their eyes (so-to-speak) and all the internet bellyaching in the world isn't going to change a dig-dong thing.

Hoping you find a scenario that works for you.
Gary Sebben

Post by Gary Sebben »

We'll, Matt, you've been here longer. That automatically makes you right. I submit to you.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Matt, I think you've missed the fact Gary is from Berkeley, California... :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Gary wrote:We'll, Matt, you've been here longer. That automatically makes you right. I submit to you. :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
+1 (to Gray) :shock:

(updated with correct quote...appologies Gary!)
Last edited by JoshWED on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

bluezurich, why are you trying to further poison this forum?
ModBud #442
EvilTweety

Post by EvilTweety »

Frankly I'm not impressed by the level of personal attacks by new and old members. In an effort to get this thread back on track I have a question for those of you who have had dealings with Genuine. How do you get Genuine to communicate with you? I have gone through my dealer, who has the same level of frustration as I do over the 3 month + delay in delivery, and my dealer cannot get any information. I have sent numerous emails, not a single response. Posted to the Genuine facebook page, no reponse. Sent a facebook message to Ryan at Genuine, no response. I can't find a phone number for Genuine. One of the reasons I joined this forum was because I thought someone from Genuine may actually read the posts here. This is no longer about the delay it is about good customer service. So, how do you communicate with Genuine?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The general population? EXCUSE ME?

I'll make you a deal. Get ONE PERCENT of Modern Buddy's 6,119 members (61 people) to post in this thread that they think you'd make a better moderator than me, and my spot is yours.

And sociopaths posting under multiple names don't count.

There are nearly 16,000 threads on Modern Buddy and this is ONE of them. Try reading some others.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

EvilTweety wrote:So, how do you communicate with Genuine?
Your first, and really only, line of communication is your dealer.

Unfortunately, some dealers just blow it off and put it on Genuine, and so it's understandable that people want to go right to them (especially being that Genuine isn't the biggest company in the world). But Genuine doesn't really have the means for direct customer support. Your dealer does. They have a rep and can get someone on the phone whereas you can't.

In the past when there have been delays in getting parts (a couple summers ago when the latest scooter boom hit), threads like this were all over the place and really the only successful line of communication was bugging your dealer. Remember, it's your dealer who has your deposit. Not Genuine. Tell them you want to know more info. Ask them to call their dealer rep and get an update, if that's what you need.

Even with that advice, I'm dubious that anyone is going to get a whole lot more information than has already been given out. I hope you do, but history indicates otherwise.

Sorry, since you've gone to your dealer already I doubt that's the answer you wanted to hear.

Also, since you mentioned it, this is a good time to reiterate that this is an independent forum not affiliated with Genuine. We both like a healthy amount of separation but, yes, from time to time Genuine employees will read this forum and on occasion Philip McCaleb has posted here. But no one should be hanging their hat on this thread as any kind of line to customer service.
Last edited by jmazza on Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

EvilTweety wrote:Frankly I'm not impressed by the level of personal attacks by new and old members. In an effort to get this thread back on track I have a question for those of you who have had dealings with Genuine. How do you get Genuine to communicate with you? I have gone through my dealer, who has the same level of frustration as I do over the 3 month + delay in delivery, and my dealer cannot get any information. I have sent numerous emails, not a single response. Posted to the Genuine facebook page, no reponse. Sent a facebook message to Ryan at Genuine, no response. I can't find a phone number for Genuine. One of the reasons I joined this forum was because I thought someone from Genuine may actually read the posts here. This is no longer about the delay it is about good customer service. So, how do you communicate with Genuine?
Hi Tweety. Thanks for trying to keep a level head about it.

The official answer is, "through your dealer." If your dealer can't get information from them, then you can't, either. Genuine is a pretty small company and just can't respond to every email they get. I'd use GM as an example, you don't call GM's corporate office to talk you through an oil change, it just doesn't work like that (Of course, GM has SOME customer service staff, but unless you were complaining about a dealer, they'd probably direct you to your dealer 9 times out of 10, and send you a form letter the 10th time. In this case, you've seen the form letter, it's the press release.)

I know that's not the answer you want to hear, sorry, but it's how it works, with any scooter importer or vehicle manufacturer.

While MB is not related to nor run by Genuine, some people at Genuine do read this forum, or at least skim it, and some of us here communicate with them from time to time, so between that and Facebook and such, they know what's going on, and are surely doing everything they can to get things moving, but again, it doesn't make sense for them to issue a daily press release re-stating what they've already said. When they have news, it will be disseminated to dealers, and posted on Facebook, and it'll certainly be well-heralded here.

Again, with all due respect to all of you, I just don't understand what you expect them to tell you if they don't have any new information. They're not hiding anything, their statement is as clear as it can be, they're waiting for more information from the government, and can't do anything about it in the meantime. And for now, your dealer can't get more information either, because there's simply no information to be had.

Bryan
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

EvilTweety wrote:How do you get Genuine to communicate with you?
I like Twitter. The announcement about the Stella 4T delay was first made at http://twitter.com/genuinescootco. I repeated it here on Modern Buddy, and people thought we had an inside scoop. Nope, just Twitter.
ModBud #442
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

polianarchy wrote:
EvilTweety wrote:How do you get Genuine to communicate with you?
I like Twitter. The announcement about the Stella 4T delay was first made at http://twitter.com/genuinescootco. I repeated it here on Modern Buddy, and people thought we had an inside scoop. Nope, just Twitter.
Just wanted to point out the irony of suggesting Twitter to a user named Tweety. :P
EvilTweety

Post by EvilTweety »

jmazza wrote:Just wanted to point out the irony of suggesting Twitter to a user named Tweety. :P
Yes, I have tried direct tweets @genuinescootco, nothing back. I contact my dealer weekly for updates. My dealer is 6 hours away, so I can't go jump on someones desk and make a scene. My dealer is as frustrated as I because they can't get anyone to return calls or emails either. I will now STFU and wait patiently... maybe...
jasondavis48108

EvilTweety wrote:Frankly I'm not impressed by the level of personal attacks by new and old members. In an effort to get this thread back on track I have a question for those of you who have had dealings with Genuine. How do you get Genuine to communicate with you? I have gone through my dealer, who has the same level of frustration as I do over the 3 month + delay in delivery, and my dealer cannot get any information. I have sent numerous emails, not a single response. Posted to the Genuine facebook page, no reponse. Sent a facebook message to Ryan at Genuine, no response. I can't find a phone number for Genuine. One of the reasons I joined this forum was because I thought someone from Genuine may actually read the posts here. This is no longer about the delay it is about good customer service. So, how do you communicate with Genuine?
I've only been dealing with Genuine for the last two years so there are a lot of people on this board with more experience than me but I've always had really good luck with going through my dealer. In fact I've actually waited in the shop while my delaer called folks and got info for me. Now that doesn't always mean that I hear exactly what I wanted to hear :lol: but I think that your impression of the Genuine company has as much to do with what dealer your working thru as it does the Genuine company itself. Who knows, maybe Genuine needs to screen its dealers better but I can say this; I've never waited very long for spare parts or performace parts (two weeks at most) and I always get the info I need in a timely manner. That's probably why I sound like a Genuine fan boy to some folks, my dealer rocks! :D
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Gary, Gary, Gary, are you sure your not related to Mark2000, you seem to read whatever you want into what people tell you. I didn't see anybody call you stupid nor did I see anybody tell you to STFU. I did see some people ask a question, and it wasn't the question you wanted to see. So here we go with your attempts at creating the problem you appear to have a problem with.
I'm not gonna say I understand your frustration anymore, cause quite frankly your frustration seems to be directed at the people on this forum, and I've told you once you don't like it, you can leave.
I'm not a moderator here so I can't out right tell ya to leave or make you, but I can tell you, if your complaints are about genuine and your frustrations about waiting for your scoot, then type away.
If your complaints are about us, or the mods, well then quite frankly quit being stupid and stfu!
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Circular thread is circular. :fp:

I'm gonna lock this until ericalm has a chance to take a look at it & decide what's to be done.
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Gary Sebben wrote:What I think really should happen is people who are upset with Genuine should be able to vent in their own thread without the fans coming in and basically, from an upset consumer stand point, trolling. There is no point in trying to "defuse" the topic. People aren't going to feel better because of your intervention. They obviously feel worse, especially when miscategorizing terms like "hater" and "whiner" are thrown around. Let people whine and vent in peace here and then they'll come and join you in the Genuine love threads later.
The point is this is a forum in which all members get to have their say provided they follow the posting guidelines. There are no threads or sections that are exclusive to those who want to complain, none in which some opinions are held as being more valid as others.

It's ridiculous to say that members who do not have money down on Stella 4Ts shouldn't have an opinion on the situation and shouldn't be able to share that opinion here. Everyone has opinions on things that may not directly effect them or on situations in which they may not be directly involved. These opinions are often helpful and sometimes right on the money because they may come from personal experience or knowledge.

One of the toughest things to moderate here on MB—and we're really struggling with this in regards to the Stella discussions—is trying to maintain the proper tone. This forum was created, in part, because of all of the hostility and negativity in other online scooter communities.

This does not mean that we can't disagree or voice negative opinions and feelings. It does mean that when we do so, especially in regards to sensitive topics such as this one, everyone is expected to remain civil and respectful of one another. This goes for all members regardless of how long they've been on the forum as well as moderators and myself. Because we're all fallible and may give into emotions and frustrations we don't always succeed in this. But as members of a community we should all strive for this. And, once warned, we should make more of an effort.

So consider this my final warning with regards to this topic. This goes for everyone who's posted in this thread so far, myself and the moderators included. Those who persist in insulting others and violating the guidelines will be dealt with as deemed appropriate.

The first line of our agreement when anyone registers for MB is, "By registering for ModernBuddy.com, you agree to abide by the posting guidelines." Anyone who cannot or will not do this shouldn't have agreed to it.

If you guys want to say the same damn things over and over in this thread, hey you're the ones driving in circles. But stick to the guidelines, stop with the personal attacks, and please re-read to the original post in this thread.

Now play nice.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i have no intention of getting a Stella because I don't want to shift, but i have read this thread with great interest and have looked at every damn scooter on the market recently.

i don't think Genuine or the EPA are to blame here, exactly. and truth be known if the PITA C.A.R.B approved the scooters (if they haven't already), that should be good enough for the EPA, as it's emission requirements are more stringent then anywhere else in the country, if not the world.

personally i blame whatever government agency is responsible for letting all these fly by night Chinese scooter distributors operate freely in the country with little if no oversight. a "crackdown" on these scooters by the EPA has happened lately, and people are actually having their registrations revoked for having scoots with dirty engines. although they come with DOT and EPA approval. :roll:

so it would seem the EPA is sort of playing administrative politics. they see a new scooter coming to America and they better check it and check it twice! and the Stella is an easy target as it's sold from one company and easy to identify. meanwhile thousands of Chinese scoots continue to pour in through so many distributors and sellers it seems out of control. so they just look at what they can control and will approve it eventually (or god forbid deny it) just to show they are doing the job. which they are, but very poorly it would seem.

"Made in India and Taiwan? That's close enough to China let's pick on these guys here!"

meh
BrooktownGeezer

Post by BrooktownGeezer »

Still no projected delivery dates...we're almost in August, it looks as though the earliest possible deliveries would probably be September, since they need to be shipped from Chicago to dealers, pdi'ed, etc. That's a shame for both the buyers and Genuine, who (it looks like) will have missed the entire prime scooting season. Not a "stellar" way to roll out a new model. :(
Last edited by BrooktownGeezer on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I don't have a down payment on a 4T Stella..........

But I DO have fity bucks on
WHY RED IS RED!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

My dealer says that Genuine is collecting info on deposit takers, but there's still no eta. Anyone heard rumblings?

This weekend I'm deciding between a used mint 05 or the continued wait. At this point, I'm sort of stoked about having an old 2t that I can paint, sticker, etc. and feel no guilt! (except for the environmental kill factor)
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

And Eric...how's she doing?
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

JoshWED wrote: My dealer says that Genuine is collecting info on deposit takers, but there's still no eta. Anyone heard rumblings?
This is very interesting, but no I haven't. But of course my dealer hasn't been responding to emails any sooner than a few weeks after I send them. So I'd probably be the last to hear anything.
JoshWED wrote: This weekend I'm deciding between a used mint 05 or the continued wait. At this point, I'm sort of stoked about having an old 2t that I can paint, sticker, etc. and feel no guilt! (except for the environmental kill factor)
I am right there with you.
Even my wife (who is not a scooterist, motorcyclist or really anything except she IS a fervent environmentalist)- even SHE says that I should just get a 2T and move on with my life. Dispite how much better the 4T would be for her, me and the planet. She really just wants me to be happy (and also help me shut up about it once and for all)

Authors note: even though Lovelandstella doesn't write about it here, he is extremely distraught over the 4T delays and exhausts himself to no end searching for any new information, to no avail. and his wife is pretty sick of it.
End of Author's note.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

You might find some small consolation in the fact that the 4T Stella does in fact exist, and you know what it looks like, even as to what colors will be offered. Such is not the case with those of us waiting for the Genuine Classic Cruiser.
jasondavis48108

PeterC wrote:You might find some small consolation in the fact that the 4T Stella does in fact exist, and you know what it looks like, even as to what colors will be offered. Such is not the case with those of us waiting for the Genuine Classic Cruiser.
amen to that. I gave up waiting on that and figure it will get here when it gets here and hopefuly I'll have the money when it does. I really can't justify more than two scooters so I've been playing with the Buddy 50 but when the crusier gets here I'd have to sell the 50 to make room. The crusier will have to be one sick ride to make me part with my 1st love the Buddy 50 SheBeast, as there is no way in hell I'm selling the sh150.
SpinQueen

Post by SpinQueen »

Every day I've been looking on Craigslist for something that would lessen my frustration and put me on something before the summers end. Last weekend I looked at a 1965 Honda Dream 305 (the bike I've always wanted). I walked away from it due to too many details that needed consideration. Bottom line, It just didn't feel right. This weekend I found a 2006 Vespa LX150 with a clean title, in excellent condition, with 3,244 miles listed for $2800. The very cool woman who owned it lived just four miles from me and sold the scoot to me for $2650. It's not my dream Stella but it's very shiny and has a matching storage trunk. And the woman purchased the scoot from the dealer where I had planned to get my Stella from so I will continue to take it there for service. At this point, I plan to enjoy the Vespa and let someone else snatch up my Cream Stella, unless I become like so many of you and end up with a second scoot. At any rate, I plan on having a Stella 4t some day.
jasondavis48108

SpinQueen wrote:Every day I've been looking on Craigslist for something that would lessen my frustration and put me on something before the summers end. Last weekend I looked at a 1965 Honda Dream 305 (the bike I've always wanted). I walked away from it due to too many details that needed consideration. Bottom line, It just didn't feel right. This weekend I found a 2006 Vespa LX150 with a clean title, in excellent condition, with 3,244 miles listed for $2800. The very cool woman who owned it lived just four miles from me and sold the scoot to me for $2650. It's not my dream Stella but it's very shiny and has a matching storage trunk. And the woman purchased the scoot from the dealer where I had planned to get my Stella from so I will continue to take it there for service. At this point, I plan to enjoy the Vespa and let someone else snatch up my Cream Stella, unless I become like so many of you and end up with a second scoot. At any rate, I plan on having a Stella 4t some day.
If you find you really like scooters then my guess is that you'll end up with both. The LX150 is a great scooter and (I would guess) will be more reliable than the stella (although I would also guess that the 4T will be much more reliable than the 2T version). When I bought my SH150 I tried to talk myself into selling the Buddy 50 but they are so different that I just couldn't do it. The Buddy is a "real scooter" the sh150 ride more like a automatic motorcycle with its huge wheels.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

PeterC wrote:You might find some small consolation in the fact that the 4T Stella does in fact exist, and you know what it looks like, even as to what colors will be offered. Such is not the case with those of us waiting for the Genuine Classic Cruiser.
not to start an argument- I am simply playing the devil's advocate:
but one could argue that the 4T and the cruiser are seperated by more than that; deposits have been taken on the 4T, while none on the Cruiser.
so with that consolation comes the detriment as well. our orders have already been taken and some of us have already paid.
for example, Which do you care more about: the steak you might get someday at a restaurant you've never been to before, or the steak you've already ordered and have been waiting for over 45 minutes for it to be brought to your table? (and you are hungry)
the fact that it "does in fact exist", could offer about as much a comfort to a depositer that it would offer to a parent that their recently kidnapped child was at least "born and got a name".
sometimes the more you know about something and the more you have vested in it makes it harder when you don't, actually, have it.

Sorry. that parent/child example was a little left field. I am ridiculous- I admit it.

once again I am not starting a fight. just communicating the obvious:
it sucks to wait so long when they are already here (and working perfectly it seems).

end of statement.
~Lovelandstella
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Genuine didn't make any official statement about when the cruiser would be coming until earlier this year. Even then, they said they were aiming for later this year in hopes of having it at the industry shows in the fall, winter and spring. We've known about this scooter for some time, and have had our own hopes and anticipations but Genuine has done little to encourage this. There's been little basis for delaying a purchase of something else other than "We know there's a scooter and it will be coming sometime" but that's about it.
JoshWED wrote:And Eric...how's she doing?
Great. Over 1200 miles and going strong!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Loveandstella, you're right, there is a difference. I'm sure Peter meant well and was just throwing that out as something to think about.

As I've said before, I'm sure Genuine would love to have those bikes to sell. They're looking at dealer closings left and right (and a large chain in FL/GA that filed for bankruptcy last month). That puts already-shipped bikes back on the market and really hurts their dealer sales, and hurts more dealers, creating more closings, the industry is a mess right now. So with their hottest product tied up, they have to be going nuts and doing anything they can.

I say that just so you understand that they haven't forgotten their customers. If they're actually collecting lists of customers with deposits, as eric says, that's maybe a bad sign as far as the wait, but a good sign that they're looking to reach out and make things right. But that's a tough task to collect all that info, so just hang in there.

And again, as I've said before, I'd take the 2T over the 4T anyday. I don't wanna bag on the 4T because it's sure to be great and certainly an improvement environmentally (and of course available in CA), but the 2T is a proven and reasonably efficient engine design with 30+ years of history, service experience, parts, and accessories and I think that's the bike to own in the long run. The 4T will surely catch on and create its own history, but no one's going to end up kicking themselves for buying the 2T.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

illnoise wrote:Loveandstella, you're right, there is a difference. I'm sure Peter meant well and was just throwing that out as something to think about...
I agree. I am not mad, don't get me wrong. well not mad at peter that's for sure. I have some choice words to the EPA/customs right now I can tell you that much.:-)

There is just something in me that couldn't let that one comment go unanswered. that's all. I like to have both sides represented, weither I fully agree with one side or not. (the better informed you are of both sides the better decisions you can make- that's what I say anyway)

as for the 2t vs 4t. I am moving ever closer to fully agreeing with you.
however- this Genuine gathering names thing might turn out to be an absolute "people who pulled their deposits may actually kick themselves for doing so" kind of thing - so I'm going to put my decision on a bit of a pause for now.

to be fair my decision was already paused awaiting a week old response from my dealer- but now it's really on pause- I wanna see how this pans out before I do anything rash. well really 'anything at all' I guess.

fun fact: interesting unknown side effect to this waiting for the 4t stella I already paid for: every day is another little loss of respect from my father-in-law. if it gets past november I may never get his on good side again. I'll always be "that fool who lets himself get suckered and throws his money away instead of supporting my daughter"
not that 'I' feel that way - but if you think it's hard explaining this situation to your spouse - try explaining it to your new father-in-law and not feeling like a moron.
~Lovelandstella
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Pulling the deposit and picking up the used mint 2t today!! So long Genuine...hello aftermarket!!
EvilTweety

Post by EvilTweety »

My dealer emailed me last friday saying that Genuine is setting up some sort of "rewards" program for those that have kept their deposits in. Genuine was supposed to make an announcement today, according to the email.
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

Sounds like there is no near-term resolution to this terrible luck :(
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

also: they obviously spent some cash revamping the website--but can't organize a new press release on the 4t's? Who's running coms over there?

1.5 hours till the pick up. Can't wait!!!
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

And I've got it. And it's wonderful. :P My left arm needs to lift weights now.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JoshWED wrote:also: they obviously spent some cash revamping the website--but can't organize a new press release on the 4t's? Who's running coms over there?
Two entirely different, totally unrelated things.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JoshWED wrote:And I've got it. And it's wonderful. :P My left arm needs to lift weights now.
Heh, I wore mine out riding the Stella in her first rally on Saturday. Whole lotta shiftin'.