Metal Centerstand Boots

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Metal Centerstand Boots

Post by ericalm »

Anyone tried metal boots? I'm mostly concerned about them being prone to either bending or slipping when down. Just curious; I'm already starting to see wear on my rubber ones.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ditch the stock stand all together and get the heavy duty center stand with the built in metal feet and the tab to put your foot on
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I use them. They make it somewhat more difficult to get onto and off of the stand, but it is doable. I actually dipped mine in PlastiDip so they would have more grip, though after a while I tore it off because they did not really need it.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

No bending or slipping, but they do grind/skitter a bit on concrete.
Clearly.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

jmkjr72 wrote:ditch the stock stand all together and get the heavy duty center stand with the built in metal feet and the tab to put your foot on
My "reinforced" center stand bit the dust after 6 months. I'm going back to stock and just replacing the boots every now and again.
Forbush-Man

Post by Forbush-Man »

I am with you Lmyers. Stick with the rubber and just replace 'em when ya need to.

Forbush
pineapplemice

Post by pineapplemice »

Huh... Someone is going back to their stock center stand? Mine has a pretty bad crack in it. It'll still hold up my scooter, but it wobbles. :/
Communication Design Student. Pet owner. Hookah lover. Scooterist.

Scootin' since October 10, 2009.

Graduating in mid-May and moving to Kirkland, WA. Anyone know any good scooter groups in the area?
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've got over 10k miles on the heavy duty stand and I love it.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I went back to the stock rubber boots. The screw on the inside of the metal boots began to score the stand and I couldn't torque it down hard enough to stop it from spinning.

On the plus side, I forgot how nice and easy it is to get the bike on the stand with the rubber boots.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I put new rubber boots on mine after I lost one in my l'il crash. Easy, cheap to replace, guess I'll stick with the rubber.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…