Winterizing whoopsie on a 2T Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lovelandstella

Winterizing whoopsie on a 2T Stella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Okay, So stupid me. But, I figure I‘m not the only person on the planet whose done this, and other members/viewers may have the same question, so I will just bite the bullet and ask.
One thing led to another and I did NOT get to put sea foam in the engine. I know, I know, I’m stupid. I have already saved you all the trouble and kicked myself for this.
The “really cold” kinda snuck up on me and then my job got crazy and then whatever- I’m dumb, I accept that.
– minus 13 degrees today, btw. I love Colorado, but this kinda sucks.

Anyway, I have the battery tender on it and that part is fine, it’s in the garage- not much chrome to worry about. And since I don’t have an ability to refill the tires with air I did not take any air out yet (but I didn’t fill them up for the last chunk of time when I was riding it- and that was getting pretty cold- so they def were not filled up all the way anyway)

What I am concerned with is the “no Sea foam” aspect.

So. Here are my questions for advice/help.

1) Worst case scenario;
How much will this cost me- if you had to guess.
I have not yet had my 500 mile checkup- can any part of that 500 mile checkup "overlap" with this problem 'fix-it' so that It’ll be cheaper? like since they are getting into the carb/ect anyway for something else they might as well clean the carb as part of that too? (or something like that)

2) can I do anything now? Could I put some sea foam in it now to poss try to gently undue any clogging in the mean time or is it a lost cause?

3) any other advice? (P.s. I know I am dumb)
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Shouldn't be a really big deal as long as it will start. Just put some Sea Foam and fresh gas in and run it long enough to get the stale stuff out of the carb.

If the tank is full of stale gas, it might be a good idea to drain it first.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Silver Streak wrote:Shouldn't be a really big deal as long as it will start. Just put some Sea Foam and fresh gas in and run it long enough to get the stale stuff out of the carb.

If the tank is full of stale gas, it might be a good idea to drain it first.
good idea. I wonder how I do that. I figure: pull the fuel line and drain the tank. but I need to find the best part of the fuel line (any ideas?) and use the right tools (any ideas) and find a way to not make a huge mess (any ideas?)
- probally put it into my old gas can -but I'd have to have the stella higher than the gas can. oh- actually, for that I figure I could just park it on the curb- that'll do it.

and further- what do I do with the old gas? can I properly dispose that at a gas station or something?
~Lovelandstella
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Lovelandstella wrote: what do I do with the old gas? can I properly dispose that at a gas station or something?
Find someone on your block with a snow blower and give him the fuel in exchange for having your sidewalk cleared!
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
bosco
Dealer

Post by bosco »

if you are really concerned, the best thing to do is just drain your tank dry all together. Then get the carb open and pull out the jets. Hit them with carb cleaner. Pull the carb off the bike and do the same. Before re-assembly, hit it all with compressed air. Put it all back together -fill the bitch up with fresh gas and you are off to the races.

That is the way to do it right.

I throw all the old gas in the tank of my vw. It eats old gas for lunch.
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

How long has it been sitting?
Have you tried to start it?
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

dump the gas in your cage tank or use it in the snow removal equipment like said before

i just finshed using all the stale gas i had from spring tank drains in my snow blower

but being i wrench it doesnt bother me if i goat pull and clean a carb

if it doesnt start just pull the jets and clean them out quick
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Just throw in some seafoam and start it up. It will start, I,have had scooters sit for 6 months and start on first or second kick with no seafoam.

Remember...this is old technology designed to run on almost anything that will burn.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

BuddyRaton wrote:Just throw in some seafoam and start it up. It will start, I,have had scooters sit for 6 months and start on first or second kick with no seafoam.

Remember...this is old technology designed to run on almost anything that will burn.
:+!:
Lovelandstella

lotsa great info all, thanks! here are my replies:

Post by Lovelandstella »

bosco wrote:if you are really concerned, the best thing to do is just drain your tank dry all together. Then get the carb open and pull out the jets. Hit them with carb cleaner. Pull the carb off the bike and do the same. Before re-assembly, hit it all with compressed air. Put it all back together -fill the bitch up with fresh gas and you are off to the races.
That is the way to do it right.
I throw all the old gas in the tank of my vw. It eats old gas for lunch.
Awesome tips for this post to have! Thank you for this!

Okay so “to do” if I want to fix this myself:
  1. drain the tank dry: how do I do that?
  2. get the carb open: I know how to do that but I don’t have that long screwdriver that makes it easy
  3. pull out the jets & Hit them with carb cleaner: Items Needed: Carb Cleaner
  4. Pull the carb off the bike and Hit that with carb cleaner: got it. same tools problem though.
  5. Before re-assembly, hit it all with compressed air: another reason to convince my wife I NEED a air compressor, aka I don’t have one right now.
  6. Put it all back together
  7. fill it up with fresh gas and learn the lesson.
--This is a really good plan. I just don’t have all the tools… yet. Someday I will but I really don’t think I will get them before spring.
--Also, Will any of this void the warranty? Even if I do it correctly? It’s still at less than 500 miles, so I don’t really wanna void the warranty now.
Halloweenie wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote: what do I do with the old gas?
Find someone on your block with a snow blower and give him the fuel in exchange for having your sidewalk cleared!
Great Idea! I am dumb for not seeing the forest for the trees! it's still gas just a little gunky for a scooter.
birdmove wrote:How long has it been sitting? Have you tried to start it?
Since the end of november, and, I have not.
BuddyRaton wrote:Just throw in some seafoam and start it up. It will start, I have had scooters sit for 6 months and start on first or second kick with no seafoam. Remember...this is old technology designed to run on almost anything that will burn.
Oh, I gotcha- I figured I was scared that starting it up would just shoot all the junk up into other parts of the engine and screw me over even more- but I guess not.
I will try this. Seafoam now, plus starting it.
- then, I suppose (weather permitting- today it's not) I could try to run the scoot around town and run the tank dry and refill with fresh gas and add more seafoam and run a little bit more and then be good untill spring? or would it still need a bigger cleaning after that?
* Is it possible seafoam can "retroactively" clean-up?
jmkjr72 wrote:...if it doesn’t start just pull the jets and clean them out quick
Sounds like this is the min I need to do if it wont start. I am just foolish for thinking I could winterize by myself without an air compressor.
...Also for trusting myself to remember to seafoam the scoot without a written reminder. :fp: THAT wont happen again.
~Lovelandstella
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

BuddyRaton wrote:Just throw in some seafoam and start it up. It will start, I have had scooters sit for 6 months and start on first or second kick with no seafoam.Remember...this is old technology designed to run on almost anything that will burn.
oh yeah- FYI- (kinda of another problem/thread)- but my stella never started on 1-2 COLD kicks except when I picked it up from the dealer (but I figure they already warmed it up).

before november when I put her away, it was seriously taking like 20-30 kicks to get started. (that's Twenty to thirty) and that was over a course of about maybe 20 minutes? maybe longer and this was every day and driving maybe as little as a mile and much as 40 miles everyday- for an average of about 15 miles everyday- not huge trips but I would start it everyday - AND the electric start I unplugged since I parked it outside at work and it was rainy a lot (I thougth that might have been the "starting" problem, but it wasn't)

so I wonder if I will still have problems starting this scoot with the current "whoops to winterize" problem mixed with "whatever was wrong with it before hand".

I wonder if maybe my dealer forgot to clean the jets after they uncrated it? i dunno. plus it was at least a year old when I bought it from the dealer "new". anyway- a little more info.
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

You are really over-thinking this.

If the scooter will start and keep running, all you likely need to do is get some fresh gas and SeaFoam into it. If the carb isn't gunked up too badly, the SeaFoam will gradually clean it.

If it won't start or keep running, then Bosco's advice is best.

But why go to that trouble if it is not necessary? You are not going to hurt anything by trying the easier approach first.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

As for the cold starting issue, have you tried this?

1. Turn on fuel tap, and pull choke
2. Without turning on ignition, kick the lever twice
3. Turn on ignition and kick again
4. Push in the choke and ride like the wind!

Works for me every time.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None