Question from a new Stella owner about a noise

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tam Tam

Question from a new Stella owner about a noise

Post by Tam Tam »

Howdy folks, so I come to ask those with more knowledge that myself - My 09 Stella (it's at 68 miles) about 28-38 miles ago began to make an odd noise -:shock:
It sounds as if something on the front tire is brushing against something else while the scooter is moving. As I get going in first gear, the sound (which phonetically sounds like "vvrrruffff" ) increases in tempo, but then is lost in engine noise etc...

I've crawled under and looked, but cannot see anything "Out of the ordinary" (or my untrained eye cannot detect it).

Any advice, antecdotes, stock tips, anything would be most welcome.

I always feel a wee bit paranoid freaking out over a new sound, but what's that cliche? "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that no one's after you?"

p.s. - Almost got ran off the road last night by a goof in a honda civic. They just started to change lanes(from left lane to right lane, where I was) no signal or anything. I braked hard, my rear wheel locked up for a bit, but luck kept me upright. We both stopped, and I looked into the civic, but tinted windows at night, couldn't see a thing. So I did the exaggerrated butler sweeping arm gesture of "After you, please!"

everyone be careful!
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

When you put your bike on the stand, can you spin the front wheel freely?
Or does it bind?
MOD MIKE

Post by MOD MIKE »

Sounds like your front brake pad might be rubbing a bit. If you put the scoot up on the stand and spin the front wheel, can you hear the noise? I think that with such low miles, if it is the brake pad, it will "seat" as it wears. There shouldn't be a drag. :wink:
Tam Tam

last night...and coincidence with the rear

Post by Tam Tam »

Last night, briefly, put it up on the center stand, and spun the front wheel.
It'll spin, but comes to an abrupt halt. Will do a more detailed inspection tonite...

...and oddly, the rear brake 'lurches' when I apply it. The coincidence is that my blackjack does the same thing. Is possible for the wheels to wobble a bit on their mount? If so, what's a possible cure? The dealer said it's probably just where the 'brake is catching'

Had no issues years ago with the 2006 Buddy though :?:
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
germ

Post by germ »

I had a similar issue on my Buddy's front tire. Its happened twice and both times it was my front brake pads. You could possible have something stuck in there. Bring it in. It may be covered in your 1 year warranty.