Oil leaking on New 2009 Stella...Is this normal?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

germ

Oil leaking on New 2009 Stella...Is this normal?

Post by germ »

I just bought a brand new 2009 Stella 2t and I only have 22 miles on it. Today I started her up and let her warm up for a minute because it was cold out. I road her for a few minutes just to take her out and stretch her legs for a spell. When I got back I was taking my first really good look at the bike. Checking every detail and I noticed a little oil splashed on the back of the foot board under the cowl. When I looked under the bike this is what I saw.

I'm just wondering if this is normal for a new bike or is this potentially a problem. There is no oil dripping. Its been in the garage for a while now and there is no oil on the floor. I have had a buddy for years and it has had the same issue basically from the same area. Am I worrying for nothing or should I take it in to be looked at?
MOD MIKE

Post by MOD MIKE »

I would think this is a minor problem. Some years ago, I had a leak on my 2003 Stella in the same area as yours. The plastic tank for the 2 cycle oil has a hose attached to it that goes to the carb with a clamp on each end. I replaced the pinch clamps with screw tight clamps and solved the problem. 8)
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Blow-by from the exhaust stub. Normal. You can drop the exhaust and seal it with some Permatex Ultracopper and that will fix her right up.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
germ

Post by germ »

Thanks. I'm gonna consider doing both of these.
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Don't sweat it, I had the same problem with a Sito+ and my Hot Wing. It stopped on the Sito when it was nice and gunked up, I fixed the Hot Wing with the Ultracopper.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
germ

Post by germ »

MOD MIKE wrote:I would think this is a minor problem. Some years ago, I had a leak on my 2003 Stella in the same area as yours. The plastic tank for the 2 cycle oil has a hose attached to it that goes to the carb with a clamp on each end. I replaced the pinch clamps with screw tight clamps and solved the problem. 8)
I checked it today, it already has the screw tight clamp on the hose.

Halloweenie wrote:Don't sweat it, I had the same problem with a Sito+ and my Hot Wing. It stopped on the Sito when it was nice and gunked up, I fixed the Hot Wing with the Ultracopper.
Thanks man, I cleaned up the oil today and road for a while. No sign of oil again. I accidentally road with the choke pulled the first night I got the bike. I'm wondering if that is what it was. I'll keep an eye on it. If it does it again I'll do the ultracopper. My buddy did the same thing and rode fine. I won't seat it.

Thanks for everone's help.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

she is just marking her territory thats all
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
germ

Post by germ »

jmkjr72 wrote:she is just marking her territory thats all
Nice.