Dang stickers

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Dang stickers

Post by ericalm »

Looks like when LML put stronger glue on its stickers (thanks, US Customs), that applied to all the stickers on the Stella 4T. The break in warning and other labels are really tough to remove now!

I tried a hair dryer. Nothin'.

Any 4T owners have sticker removal tips?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I had a helluva time with mine, too. Some came off easier than others with some heat applied. The one on the top of the glove compartment was a real bitch. I still have adhesive residue even after using Goo-Gone and naphtha.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silver Streak wrote:The one on the top of the glove compartment was a real bitch.
That's the one that's giving me the most grief. Don't want to scrape or use any kind of solvent. Maybe if I soak it with soapy water?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

You might try using rubbing alcohol. It dries up the goo so you are more able to get the adhesive off.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bgwss wrote:You might try using rubbing alcohol. It dries up the goo so you are more able to get the adhesive off.
Any chance of that damaging the paint?

One thing that works for removing adhesives is olive oil or baby oil. That's usually after the sticker is peeled, though.

I may try to find some of this stuff:
https://un-du.com/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=56
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

I used a hair dryer and an old credit card.

These stickers are like no other I've removed off motos!

Major PITA

But once your done it's sooo worth it!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

desmolicious wrote:These stickers are like no other I've removed off motos!
What's that EPA? You want stickier stickers? Okay, EAT THIS!

It looks like all the white stickers for these come on a sheet so have the same adhesive. Wow.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I would not worry about Goo-Gone damaging paint. I have had really good luck with it. (Now, I mean Goo-Gone - the citrus smelling stuff. Not Goof-Off. The later seems to have a more powerful solvent that goes after some paints and plastics.)
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

+1 on the Goo-Gone. I've even used a googone soaked shop rag as a compress over a sticker, and not damaged paint.

I am going to remove those dumb stickers this weekend, as well.

I have found with GooGone, one almost has to saturate the sticker (if it's paper and stuck on well), or get a millimeter peeled off the sticker so I can squirt GooGone directly on the adhesive.

I have butt load of shop rags, and an old drivers license ready to do the same.

Report back on what works 8)
Image Image
germ

Post by germ »

I just removed all stickers from my new 2t. I used 3m adhesive remover that is made for autos. Worked amazingly. I even us a hair dryer and moved the vin sticker from the glove lid to up and under the inside of e glove box. No problems with my paint.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

germ wrote:I just removed all stickers from my new 2t. I used 3m adhesive remover that is made for autos. Worked amazingly. I even us a hair dryer and moved the vin sticker from the glove lid to up and under the inside of e glove box. No problems with my paint.
Is that stuff usually available at your local auto parts chain?
germ

Post by germ »

rondothemidget wrote:
germ wrote:I just removed all stickers from my new 2t. I used 3m adhesive remover that is made for autos. Worked amazingly. I even us a hair dryer and moved the vin sticker from the glove lid to up and under the inside of e glove box. No problems with my paint.
Is that stuff usually available at your local auto parts chain?
I actually bought it from the auto section of Walmart. I sprayed a little on a rag and the adhesive came off in a wipe or two and didn't affect my paint at all. I used it on all the sticker on the bike including the badges.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

I actually bought it from the auto section of Walmart. I sprayed a little on a rag and the adhesive came off in a wipe or two and didn't affect my paint at all. I used it on all the sticker on the bike including the badges.
It looks like I'm going on a photo safari for http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
germ

Post by germ »

rondothemidget wrote:

It looks like I'm going on a photo safari for http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
I know right. I think everyone from that site was at my local walmart. But my scoot is now sticker free and happy.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm tellin' ya—these stickers on the 4Ts are something totally different. NASA grade adhesives.

I got this:

Didn't do a dang thing.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I agree. They've switched adhesives to something much more solvent-resistant with the 4Ts. The stickers are also very thin and essentially impossible to remove in one piece, regardless of application of heat.

Overreaction to the EPA snafu, I guess.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
listless

Post by listless »

Silver Streak wrote:Overreaction to the EPA snafu, I guess.
With the mess that was and how much money I'm sure it cost (actual and lost sales), I'm surprised that the EPA's important info is not etched in the metal now.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

ericalm wrote:I'm tellin' ya—these stickers on the 4Ts are something totally different. NASA grade adhesives.

I got this:

Didn't do a dang thing.
Ok, so I concur with Eric's Goo-gone 'didnt do a damn thing'.

I busted out my GooGone today, and had a whack at those stickers with an old drivers license and some goo gone. I couldn't even lift a corner of those stickers.

A neighbor saw me struggling, and lent me a heat gun to use.

Voila, on LOW, I got rid of the 'made in India' sticker, and the sticker below it warning about voiding the warranty if the catalytic converter was removed.

I used Goo Gone to remove the remaining adhesive, and the paint was undamaged.

The final sticker on the left side of the leg shield/cowl with the VIN # would NOT come off, in spite of my previous heat gun success with the other stickers.

I'm PISSED! Tomorrow I go to Walmart for some of the 3M auto sticker remover crud. Arrrgh. :x
Image Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

So, sounds like I need something more potent than a hair dryer.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

ericalm wrote:So, sounds like I need something more potent than a hair dryer.
You and me, both!

what's all this about EPA fiasco? any news links available?
Image Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DirtyRAT wrote:
You and me, both!

When the original shipment of Stellas was imported (after the model had been tested and approved by the EPA/DOT) it was tagged by Customs for re-inspection. Eventually, the EPA decided they did not like the adhesive used on a warning label and the tamper-proof coating on the air/fuel screw. This lengthy process delayed the Stella 4T by a year, frustrating buyers and costing Genuine millions.
Spannerx

Post by Spannerx »

ericalm wrote: When the original shipment of Stellas was imported (after the model had been tested and approved by the EPA/DOT) it was tagged by Customs for re-inspection. Eventually, the EPA decided they did not like the adhesive used on a warning label and the tamper-proof coating on the air/fuel screw. This lengthy process delayed the Stella 4T by a year, frustrating buyers and costing Genuine millions.
And let's be honest here, all that will be circumvented by someone, probably already has.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

ericalm wrote:
DirtyRAT wrote:
You and me, both!

When the original shipment of Stellas was imported (after the model had been tested and approved by the EPA/DOT) it was tagged by Customs for re-inspection. Eventually, the EPA decided they did not like the adhesive used on a warning label and the tamper-proof coating on the air/fuel screw. This lengthy process delayed the Stella 4T by a year, frustrating buyers and costing Genuine millions.
Wow, someone at the EPA either had a bad day, or Genuine pissed them off/didn't have enough bribe money.

The thought I could have been riding my Stella a year ago boils my blood...

Now on to Walmart for the 3M sticker remover and 3 days of SoCal rain
Image Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DirtyRAT wrote:Wow, someone at the EPA either had a bad day, or Genuine pissed them off/didn't have enough bribe money.
Or some competitor that didn't want to see these in dealers tried to raise a red flag. Or they were targeted because it was a new engine, coming from India, at a time when other companies are pulling switcheroos and bringing in product that doesn't meet federal regs.
DirtyRAT wrote:The thought I could have been riding my Stella a year ago boils my blood...
Imagine the feelings of those who had deposits sitting around for a year, the dealers who were counting on these sales in the midst of a huge decline in scooter buying, and Genuine, which had been hyping and promoting the scooter and preparing for a huge launch while also counting on those sales.

It was ugly (so let's not rehash all that negativity again, okay, folks?).
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

The EPA is still bustin' chops. My dealer has a customer waiting on some sort of Chinese go-kart contraption and the shipment is being held up by EPA and Customs. The customer wasn't happy to hear that the expected delivery date is in six months.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

It's a conspiracy! As soon as I get my shiny, new Stella, bad weather follows. Anyone recall "Bad Luck Schleprock?"
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

ericalm wrote: Or some competitor that didn't want to see these in dealers tried to raise a red flag. Or they were targeted because it was a new engine, coming from India, at a time when other companies are pulling switcheroos and bringing in product that doesn't meet federal regs.

Imagine the feelings of those who had deposits sitting around for a year, the dealers who were counting on these sales in the midst of a huge decline in scooter buying, and Genuine, which had been hyping and promoting the scooter and preparing for a huge launch while also counting on those sales.

It was ugly (so let's not rehash all that negativity again, okay, folks?).
Thanks for the enlightening esplanation. For the record, my negativity/indignation was a first-timer's reaction to old news, and is now neatly tucked away behind the grin from squeezing in an hour scoot after a shitty socal-style 'it's raining, oh no, wait...it's not...it's...driiiiiizzzzling' day.

On to Walmart tomorrow for the chance to slay that last, defiant sticker on my Stella.

Schleprock *always* had a storm over his head..I remember.
Image Image
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I thought that was Joe Btfsplk from Li'l Abner:

Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

germ

Post by germ »

rondothemidget wrote:
I curious to see if it works for you. I was amazing on my 2t stella. couldn't believe how easy the adhesive came up. I can tell you that it did not harm my paint in the least so there should be no worries on that.
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

Couldn't find the 3M Adhesive Remover at my local WalMart. After some research, now I know it's a conspiracy. Not only did CARB delay the Stella 4T in California for a year because of the stickers, but they also won't allow the adhesive remover to be sold in California. They must really want those stickers to stay on.

http://www.shop3m.com/62466749306.html? ... ve-Remover
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

I just scraped them off using an old credit card and my finger nails.
Yes it took a while. But was still quicker than the life of this thread!
:P

Residue was removed with WD40.

Why couldn't they have put all of them inside the glove box lid, like on my PX150? Those I have left because you only see them with the lid open.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

We use Rapid Remover at work for getting adhesive off vehicles & other stuff. It works great and doesn't harm paint, but I dunno where they sell it.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

rondothemidget wrote:Couldn't find the 3M Adhesive Remover at my local WalMart. After some research, now I know it's a conspiracy. Not only did CARB delay the Stella 4T in California for a year because of the stickers, but they also won't allow the adhesive remover to be sold in California. They must really want those stickers to stay on.

http://www.shop3m.com/62466749306.html? ... ve-Remover
I just picked up some 3M Adhesive Remover today from PepBoys. I checked AutoZone and Kragen/Oreilly with no luck. The search engine on PepBoys site is ridiculously bad, and didnt list the 3M stuff I bought:

http://3mcollision.com/products/cleaner ... 03618.html

The good news: that stuff tore into the remaining sticker, and I had it off in 5 minutes, without a heatgun!

Go buy some, y'all...
Image Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DirtyRAT wrote:The search engine on PepBoys site is ridiculously bad
No kiddin'. This 2011, Pep Boys! Search engines are not rocket science.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

This place is local, but has a decent interwebs business going:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/ ... o=MMM+8987
Image Image
DirtyRAT

*** Update ***

Post by DirtyRAT »

I went to the above retail place today, and confirmed they DO have the 3M adhesive above, and I also found some Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber protectant.

Cant wait to try it.
Image Image
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I can confirm that non-acetone fingernail polish removed ONLY removes the ink and leaves the stickers intact.
jh
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

KRUSTYburger wrote:We use Rapid Remover at work for getting adhesive off vehicles & other stuff. It works great and doesn't harm paint, but I dunno where they sell it.
Krusty, for others on the forum looking for a 3M adhesive remover alternative, can you list a manufacturer and UPC code from the container of Rapid Remover?
Image Image
T'Pring

Post by T'Pring »

ericalm wrote:I'm tellin' ya—these stickers on the 4Ts are something totally different. NASA grade adhesives.
Where was this stuff when tiles were falling off of the shuttle?

--------
desmolicious wrote:Residue was removed with WD40

That would have been my 'goto' product.
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

All.Hail 3M automotive adhiesive remover. From Wal Mart .. 6.50$... worked like a.charm
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

T'Pring wrote:
Where was this stuff when tiles were falling off of the shuttle?
Apparently, India.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Holly Mother of Glue, what the heck is this stuff made of? Someone at the EPA needs to get a good whoopin' for making Genuine change their glue to this stuff.

I purchase some GooGone yesterday so I'll be soaking these stickers with this stuff and I hope it works without destroying my paint job.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep.

I've had mine for a while now, but only just got to scratching them off this week. I used a hammer and chisel. Kidding! I used my fingernails and kept putting moistening with goo gone. The goo gone didn't help a bit, but my fingernails were really clean after!
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Tom wrote:Yep.

I've had mine for a while now, but only just got to scratching them off this week. I used a hammer and chisel. Kidding! I used my fingernails and kept putting moistening with goo gone. The goo gone didn't help a bit, but my fingernails were really clean after!
Bummer, now I'm thinking I should just return the Goo gone. How long did it take you to get them off?

I'm wondering just how many beers it will take to get these things off.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Tom

Post by Tom »

Just think of it as a meditation, lol. Seriously I just scratched and scratched and scratched for quite a while. Maybe 20-30 minutes? The easy one was the Battery tested sticker that was a different material. Goo Gone DID work on that one. Those thin white plastic sort of ones really took some time. I still have about half of one there and I'll revisit it next time I wash and wax the scoot.

I don't know if there is anything to it besides just the elbow grease. At least fingernails won't hurt the paint!
cmac

Post by cmac »

Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Tom wrote: I don't know if there is anything to it besides just the elbow grease. At least fingernails won't hurt the paint!
Well, a lot of hot water (didn't do much either), GooGone, a few beers (for my sanity) and one corporate credit card later, and I'm down to just the sticker on the left with the VIN number. My corporate card is toast; good thing it expires this month. Tomorrow it's the Home Depot credit card and a few more beers. :?
Keith

Post by Keith »

Goo-Gone works but what a difference when I discovered Contractor's Solvent. It worked so well, I threw out the Goo-Gone
Attachments
41ckftFRu0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41ckftFRu0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (12.29 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
05 Stella- "Moto Psycho"
07 Kymco Grand Vista 250- "DINK"
listless

Post by listless »

Removing those are quite fun.

No scratches or paint damage, but that was 2 hours of my life I'd really like to have back. But at least my fingernails will grow back.

I guess I should have looked for the suggested 3M product, but I would have spent more than 2 hours driving around and looking for it.
toeknee

Post by toeknee »

i used goo-gone
worked fine (didnt take any paint off)