Put too much gas, bad running

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

spd122

Put too much gas, bad running

Post by spd122 »

Hey,
I think I have seen this before, but can't find it. I filled the gas too high which seemed to cause a vapor lock I guess. The bike would start, then crap out when I revved the motor. I took some gas out, pulled the plug and dried it off and the bike ran fine to get home. However, if I gave it too much power it would crap out again. Do I just need to burn down some more fuel? Is this why people drill their caps? 2009 Stella
spd122

Post by spd122 »

Additional info, scooter was running great to and from work. Stopped to put gas, couldn't leave the station. Took gas out cleaned plug and it was ok.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you had the problem "at the gas station" just after opening and closing your gas cap, the problem is not tank venting (the so-called "vapor lock" problem). Can't hurt to vent your gas cap, but there is a good chance yours is already vented.
spd122

Post by spd122 »

Yeah, I put gas, 1.81 gallons to be exact which filled it really to the rim. When I took the cap off again some actually popped out. It started, but as I pulled into the street and gave her a little throttle it fizzled, like it was running out of gas. Repeated this a few times which made it flood.
spd122

Post by spd122 »

Let it sit a few days and it was fine, the airfilter was probably soaked.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

Pro tip:

Desmoliscious on this forum has posted a similar thread bout your issue

topic18426.html

Two solutions: leave a full inch of air in the tank when filling up, and get a vented two stroke stella gas cap.

I use the 1-inch rule, and never have problems.
Image Image
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i have filled it to the point when it sits in the sun i get fuel to come out of the vent and never had an issue
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos