Oil adds on 2T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

T'Pring

Oil adds on 2T

Post by T'Pring »

I am going to add oil soon but, I don't know what type of oil [reg or synth] the previous owner used.
Should I be able to tell by looking at it [feeling, smelling , etc]? Does it matter: Can I just add the new oil, regardless? Or should I just drain it and start fresh?
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

if you dont know what the po used
i would run it as low as you dare and then refill with the oil of your choice

personaly i run nothing but 2 stroke sytnh oil on both of my 2 strokes
the only thing on my stella that doesnt use full synth is the trans as that is sae 30 non detergant oil
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Bcon

Post by Bcon »

I doubt you can tell what's in it by smell, etc., although some oils have a distinct color dye. The problem is that more than one oil company may use the same color dye.

Mixing oils won't hurt anything, but personally I would follow the advice to run it down to the sight glass then fill up with whatever you want to use.

I use Motul 710 synthetic (which is green). I'm sure lots of discussion could be had about the protection level of normal 2T oil vs. synthetic, but neither will harm your engine. I use synthetic because it burns cleaner and smokes less, not necessarily because I think it protects any better (it may, who knows). There are lots of brands out there, so it really comes down to personal preference and availability.

You could drain the oil tank it you're worried about what's in it. If you do, I'd run a gas tank of 2% pre-mix (50:1) through it afterward just to make sure the oil injection pump has a chance to get primed again. Do the same thing if you ever pull the oil pump/carb out or if you remove the lines to the oil pump.
2004 Stella
BMW F800ST
mr bill

Post by mr bill »

Just bought another bottle of full synth Bel Ray Si7,
low smoke and works good, blue color.
Expensive? yes I'm paying $20 a liter at a local shop.
I do like it.

Cheers.
T'Pring

Post by T'Pring »

This is good news -- thanks.
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I doubt very much that you will have any problems mixing oil. I wouldn't worry about it.
Valves are for wussies.